The Gandhi Tournament

One question came up during my planning of this char... can staffs be used for pre-buff as long as they arent wielded when I fight? (EDIT: is fought)

You can weild weapons if you want to, you just can't attack with them. My paladin is using a scepter right now, he just can't swing it.

Additional Rules Clarifications

Docturnal: Yes, Pre-buffing of skills is allowed. Indeed, holding a weapon is allowed during gameplay - but you are simply not allowed to use it for attack purposes. (oops, pwned by Quietus)

rickcarson: Attract and confuse are allowable skills. All the other skills you asked about are attacks and are NOT allowed (i.e., you may not use Blaze, Trap skills other than Blade Shield, Static Field, Corpse/Poison Explosion or Hydra).

Also, I agree that getting to Level 12 without a Thorns skill will be tedious. That is the major reason I recommended the Paladin - I want participants to have an enjoyable experience.

Changing maps via TCP/IP will be allowed - this should come in handy in places like the Maggot Lair, I imagine.

[highlight] Imagine the epic battle as your Gandhi character fights Coldworm the Burrower! [/highlight] :laughing:

Uzziah: its an honor to have you in the tournament. Given your achievements with single tree 1.10 characters - a Gandhi character may not seem so extreme to you. Good luck!

This looks like fun, and although I am a bit behind, I will join. My Paladin will be named Swiss Cider (suicider), and I have one question... can I lure monsters back to Flavie and have her kill them?

Note that even if this is allowed, you won't get experience when they die.

Not thinking that it might be banned, I tried it already. I'm up to level 8 with the Necro... still waiting on confirmation that Confusion is okay or not...

[highlight] Imagine the epic battle as your Gandhi character fights Coldworm the Burrower! [/highlight] :laughing:

Psh, that guy's a pushover... didn't even do a point of damage to me!

Oh yeah, death by Flavie is certainly allowed. Flavie is an NPC, not a summons or Merc that you command. (Too bad about that, though. After all, Flavie did win the "Most Desireable NPC" poll earlier in the year.)

Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           20        Kurast Docks
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               8         Stony Field
Uzziah             Paladin     No_Arms             4         Stony Field
Quickdeath         Paladin     Gandhi II           1         Rogue Encampment
Docturnal          Sorceress   Theresa             1         Rogue Encampment
Arentol            Paladin     Draught             1         Rogue Encampment
Scatha             Barbarian   Brick Wall          1         Rogue Encampment
adzicents          Paladin     Unscathed           1         Rogue Encampment
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12        Dry Hills
newco              Paladin     SpankMeHard         1         Rogue Encampment
NecSin             Paladin     SticksnStones       1         Rogue Encampment

So when I reach and defeat Duriel, what then? Shall I continue forging forward, see how far I can take this guy? I imagine Diablo would be a massive pain, I think his only melee attack is his charge-and-swipe.

::Edit:: I've made it to, and defeated, Duriel. This swampy land shall prove interesting for my pacifistic ways. The journey has been long and difficult, and many times have I nearly given up, given in to the creatures that insisted I submit to their violent ways. But I've shown them, proven to those hell-wrought demons that nothing can stand for long against peace!

I just want to say... Duriel was highly, highly annoying. Even with thorns returning 9.3x the damage I take, that fat slug just wouldn't sit down and shut up for anything. I must've went through half an inventory worth of health potions, and if I hadn't been quick on the buttons, I would've dropped. Good luck to all the other entrants; I think I might start up a sorc and try this from the beginning!

Last edited:
Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
RickC              Necromancer Bandd               12        Countess

::Edit:: I've made it to, and defeated, Duriel. This swampy land shall prove interesting for my pacifistic ways.

And the crowd goes wild! :prop: :thumbsup: :jig:

Well done that man.

Please excuse my bad form of posting twice in a row.

So I've managed to hit level 12, which is great because I now possess a wide array of skills that don't play well with each other. D'oh!

Iron Maiden + Bone Armour doesn't work.
Iron Maiden of course does nothing to increase the ATD.
Bone Armour + ATD + Amplify Damage works, but since I've only found one chipped skull so far I'm only doing 12 damage after the Amp. I could do more damage with the Iron Maiden, but then I'd have to give up the Bone Armour buffer, and at 12 mana -> 55 life, that is quite the bargain.

Allegedly I could get Bone Wall + Iron Maiden to work (and I did get a single ghost killing itself on my very first Bone Wall at the bottom of the Countess' tower) but I am unconvinced I could do this reliably.

Archers suck, and Dim Vision has only a 7 second timer or so, so it sucks too :D

Terror is brilliant for crowd control, but then that counters my chance to cast when struck gear, for which I want to be surrounded by large crowds.

So between Bone Wall and Terror, I could have an awesome defense -> the monsters would never touch me! Muahahaha! Oh, hang on... that's no good...

The chipped skull I mentioned above is my best find (at about level 10), and then five minutes after placing it into a shield... I find my first Gem Shrine. The game mocks me it does.

My second best find so far is a Grand Charm, with +22 Stamina. Congratulations to QuickDeath, for being the person who has finally made a tournie with such a twisted set of rules that I'd actually keep a charm like that and like it. You are a perverse deviant freak, and I envy you. :D

Code:
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       6         Stony Field
Apparently the first paladin made it past the squishy one already :)thumbsup: ).
I'll try this with a sorc. Let's hope I won't croak before level 12. *knocks on wood*

The beginning has been a severe pain, but after scoring three ATD1 pieces, I continued clearing the blood moor until level 5. I leveled to 6 in the Pit, and spent the free skill point on the tele prerequisite. I found two chipped skulls (yay!), but finding the gem shrines will be tough.

I already encountered a stone skin boss that just wouldn't go down because she regenerated too fast (yes, one fraction per five seconds is too fast in you only have ATD3). Stamina potions FTW!

I already encountered a stone skin boss that just wouldn't go down because she regenerated too fast (yes, one fraction per five seconds is too fast in you only have ATD3). Stamina potions FTW!

Because I was in double digits before getting my chipped skulls I found I had to drop back down to players 1 for most stuff. Stone Skin/Mana Burn bosses and Champions were too nasty otherwise. Also it would occasionally take a really long time to kill a shaman and I'd get frustrated.

It would suck to have a block of 40 (base dex only, honest!) and the monster with a chance to hit you of only 9%, and to _almost_ have it dead and then it perversely decides to miss you for a couple of minutes, and heals back most of its health... And of course with a shaman I can't do my circle running trick, since it will start raising its troops...

----

Something I've noticed is that my 'throwing' comes unstuck when I'm not looking and turns into a normal attack. Does anyone know what is triggering this?

It is annoying because if I don't notice it, it means that I will be trying to do circle running and end up attacking the monsters instead. It hasn't happened in any of the really difficult bits, but it means that the rules have been broken.

If I'm disqualified but allowed to re-enter I'd like to understand the cause so that I can prevent it from happening again.

Code:
Quickdeath         Paladin     Gandhi II          12         Lut Gholein

Well, I re-started my Gandhi II Paladin and have taken him through Act 1 and killed Andariel. What an adventure!

First my gear: well at clvl=1, I ran the Blood Moors until I got enough wealth to shop for the ATD=1 sash, quilted armor (with fire resist=5) and shield. I also found a chipped diamond which eventually went into a socketed small shield – so I had a total of ATD=6.

I then went running in circles around flayers and eventually reached lvl 6 in the Cold Plains. I gained Thorns! and life was good. In the underground passage I was constantly running due to the many archers. I made it to the Dark Woods and then rescued Cain. About this time I found a Pelta Lunata buckler which I have equipped on weapons switch (together with Prayer) for those situations where I am avoiding archers.

On a restart, I forgot that my previous game had been in Players7 mode. I was mystified: Why was no one in the Tamoe Highlands dieing from Thorns? Help! Eventually, I figured it out.

Cloister areas and Jail were not too hard. But in the catacombs, I began to encounter Tainted (lightning ball breathers) that rarely hit me and must have had a lot of HPs. Basically some of these they were very difficult to kill. I did a lot of running and sneaking while in the Catacombs. Always planning my escape routes.

Made it to Catacombs Level 4 and easily cleared the outer rooms (at clvl=11). Thorns was returning over 400% and I had been dumping all my attribute points into Vit (plus had a chipped ruby in a socketed cap.) But, in Andariel’s room there was a unique Tainted with minions that simply would not die! Finally I ran straight at Andy, activating her. I found a way to separate Andy from the un-killable Tainted. We danced and danced for a long time, with my Paladin gulping reds and antidote potions and TPing to town many times. I wish I knew Quietus’ technique for nullifying Andariel’s tendency to throw poison clouds!

Finally Andy went down. It had been an intense and stressful battle! Her death leveled my Paladin up to Level 12 so, as I begin Act 2, I will have access to Cleansing (with 4 points invested in Prayer!) I had one NDE in the catacombs as I was confronting a large crowd of Tainted, Rogue Archers and the little guys with big knives. Having lots of life is important. Eventually, having high resists will be important as well.

I do not yet have a weapon that provides any resistances. I found a sword with some resistances but lacked the strength to equip it.

Looking ahead, the area that concerns me most is the Maggot lair with all its Tainted and giant roaches. I’ll spend some time thinking about where I need to invest my skills and attribute points and what equipment I want before I go far in Act 2. I may run the Rocky Waste for awhile.

Note to Quietus: Congrats on Killing Duriel! You are a winner! I would encourage you to go further. I believe that Thorns and ATD modifiers return damage to Flayers with blowguns. So the first part of A3 may not be too bad!

Code:
RickC              Necromancer Bandd               16        Dry Hills

I have also killed Andariel, which was one of the few fights where I've had to bust out the Iron Maiden and rejuvs. But, like Quickdeath the real nasty surprise was from a boss Tainted.

First up I tried to tank him and his group to kill them with proccing, which is my standard approach to any group of archers that I don't just run around. If there are other grunts around sometimes I'll lead a pack of them to the archers to do faster proccing, and usually I leave the last archer alone as it takes much longer to kill them by themselves.

But they were doing way too much damage. So I used Terror to separate him from his pack, and then tried a bunch of different things to kill him.

I tried tanking him directly, so that he'd proc himself to death. But I ran out of potions, so I had to go back to town and when I came back he was on full health. D'oh!

I tried casting Iron Maiden on him and then getting him to attack a Bone Wall. He was remarkably cooperative with this strategy, however he did so much damage and the walls have so few hit points that I was running out of mana way too quickly for that to work.

So I had to run back into the far side of the antechamber, cast town portal, and then round him and his gang up and bring them back to the stairs. I then went on foot back to the catacombs 2 waypoint. Which was in itself quite scary, since I had of course run out of red pots.

Unfortunately, in that process I'd used up all my Light healing potions, which meant I needed to face Andariel with just Minor healing potions. So quite a few pots later she was dead, and dropped a Saphire.

Most of my gear is oriented around proccing, and scarily I've just removed the last Frost Nova Shield and swapped in another item, so my crowd control might take a massive drop in effectiveness.

Prior to reaching the catacombs I'd found a unique - blood crescent - which gives +15% resist all and +15 life.

In Act 2 the monster damage has gone up a bit, so I tend to just gather a big group of monsters, stand in the middle and chain cast Bone Armour while the proccing does the business.

Iron Maiden only returns 275% damage, and even though my life is over 200 I'm not quite ready to give up my 100 point Bone Armour.

I've had a poke around on the first level of the dungeon with the cube and it was obscene with huge crowds of undead. I got out of there with literally only one hp left, I've had a lot of NDEs with this character, but that one takes the cake.

I'm only 2 levels away from Confusion, and I might just have to level up to 18 instead of facing the suicide of that dungeon.

Code:
A1cme3             Paladin    Swiss Cider        15          Black Marsh

I have made my way slowly through act 1 on /players 8, and just finished killing the Countess. I have been pretty lucky with either finding or purchasing gear so far: 3 of my items (boots, helm, gloves) have ctc charged bolt when struck, and 3 (armor, shield, belt) have ATD of 1. My weapon is a +2 Thorns that I bought from Akara, bringing my Thorns level up to 10. Overall doing decent return damage. I found a chipped skull but I'm saving it for now...

Code:
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       17        Far Oasis
Quickdeath         Paladin     Gandhi II           12        Lut Gholein
A1cme3             Paladin     Swiss Cider         15        Black Marsh
I killed Andariel and Radament. Lots of potions and TP scrolls were harmed in the process. It's interesting to see that Shiver Armor's damage is far from poor (36-40something right now), and that monsters are damaged as soon as they swing at me. They don't have to hit me. This means that I'll probably go max-block if I want to survive up to and possibly beyond the big bug.

Only one level until teleport. I'm not inserting as much as the tip of my tiny toe in that maggot lair without a means to pass through the impatient player's doom: blocked corridors.

Random thoughts:
- Poison critters have a nasty melee attack. (I'm looking at you summoners!)
- Do not engage a swarm of lightning enchanted critters with shiver armor active. Unless you like fireworks shows. And swift death by electricity.
- Ranged attackers are very annoying. As are any monsters as pacifist as me. I noticed that those four-armed dorks and zap bats go into passive mode when they are hurt enough. I mean, the tourney is slow enough already without one of us doing anything...
- Shiver armor is surprisingly damaging when you're stuck to /players1.
- Boss fights are very scary when you depend on their pain.

QuickDeath said:
Made it to Catacombs Level 4 and easily cleared the outer rooms (at clvl=11). Thorns was returning over 400% and I had been dumping all my attribute points into Vit (plus had a chipped ruby in a socketed cap.) But, in Andariel’s room there was a unique Tainted with minions that simply would not die! Finally I ran straight at Andy, activating her. I found a way to separate Andy from the un-killable Tainted. We danced and danced for a long time, with my Paladin gulping reds and antidote potions and TPing to town many times. I wish I knew Quietus’ technique for nullifying Andariel’s tendency to throw poison clouds!

Those tainted are buggers, I never did find a way to force them to go melee...

I could illuminate everyone with my technique for avoiding Andy's poison spray, if you'd like. It doesn't stop her from using it, but it does make sure she can't hit you with it.

I'd just like to say... first, no, the little dart-shooting buggers DON'T take damage from thorns. Second, either everything has stupid amounts of life in act three, or some kind of damage reduction, because I can't even take out three tree-guys on /players 8 without needing to heal, and I'm packing over 350 life.

Code:
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       17        Far Oasis
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12        DEAD

Well, Patience is officially dead, and I'm not sure I will remake. Playing a paladin was actually ridiculously easy after I got thorns, so *if* I do remake it'll be with a necro or sorc.

@Quietus: Well that's your problem, /players 8. I'd go /players 1 the whole way personally. It's probably something to do with monster health going up by a factor of more than their damage goes up by...

ThornBush has been working his way, slowly but surely, deeper into the fetid swamps of kurast. Midgets have proven to be highly annoying, as they seem unaffected by his preachings of peace and faith, continuing to fire their dartlike weapons at him. Peppered by this projectiles, ThornBush continues forward, ignoring the fact that he's long since become some kind of demented thornbush. Finally, he's reached the lair of the beast itself, the Flayer Dungeon if you will, and as I write this, he sits, resting, his prayers of cleansing being answered slowly but surely. I leave you with only two words as I prepare to return to him :

Undead flayers.

ThornBush has been working his way, slowly but surely, deeper into the fetid swamps of kurast. Midgets have proven to be highly annoying, as they seem unaffected by his preachings of peace and faith, continuing to fire their dartlike weapons at him. Peppered by this projectiles, ThornBush continues forward, ignoring the fact that he's long since become some kind of demented thornbush. Finally, he's reached the lair of the beast itself, the Flayer Dungeon if you will, and as I write this, he sits, resting, his prayers of cleansing being answered slowly but surely. I leave you with only two words as I prepare to return to him :

Undead flayers.

This posting is genuinely creepy. Reminds me of "Heart of Darkness". The flayer jungle sounds miserable....

Code:

[u][B]Our fallen comrades[/B][/u]
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       19        Canyon of the Magi
I croaked. Duriel got me. I remembered the fight with Andy well and I wasn't particularly looking forward to the battle with that oversized version of the stuff that usually lives behind the fridge.

My tactic was the following: put up a TP, take a few hits, and teleport back to the TP to heal. This tactic actually worked fine and I even got the boss down to 50% dead. But on the tenth cycle, I dropped down to ~40% red and tried to tele back to the portal. Duriel performs an extra nasty attack, charge probably. I'm dead. I'm not sure if I could have blocked his attack, but I know that if I went for max block earlier, I might have had a better chance at this fight.

Random observations:
- Going for block has been a good plan, because even blocked attackers are frozen.
- Blood lord and other vampiric fireball tossers can go throw themselves into a wood chipper. You can get them down to 10% health fine, but then they just walk away taunting while they heal themselves with fireballs.
I mean, what? Healing through fireballs?
- The arcane sanctuary and Tal-rasha's tomb were the hardest parts before Duriel. Blood lords everywhere. Standing still to take hits does not mix well with getting pelted with bonfires and other assorted fire spells. I'm certain that without teleport and/or adequate resists rerolling the map when those fire chuckers are present is a very solid plan.
- I NDE'd a great many times. I'm surprised that I even got as far as I have.
- Skeleton and ghost packs are no match for a level 10+ shiver armor.

Ah well, it was a perverse masochistic kind of fun while it lasted. Good luck to those still heading towards the bug, and good luck to ThornBush the brave who even went beyond.

Code:
JayPizzle          Necro       Wooo                1         Rogue Encampment

[u][B]Our fallen comrades[/B][/u]
AJK                Sorceress   TheOtherCheek       19        Canyon of the Magi

Hey I've been thinking about joining this tourney for a couple of days now. I started a necro early this morning. Nice idea, I remember a couple of years ago someone took a necro to guardian without ever attacking. There was a huge thread about it. I'll keep you guys posted with my progress; it's been pretty slow so far.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High