The Gandhi Tournament

Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
Quickdeath         Paladin     Gandhi II           1         Rogue Encampment
Docturnal          Sorceress   Theresa             1         Rogue Encampment
Arentol            Paladin     Draught             1         Rogue Encampment
Scatha             Barbarian   Brick Wall          1         Rogue Encampment
adzicents          Paladin     Unscathed           1         Rogue Encampment
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            1         Rogue Encampment
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               1         Rogue Encampment

I'll join in with a necro for a start, just two more questions:
1. Are Bone Wall and Bone Prison allowed?
2. Can we use TCP/IP games to change maps?

Code:
[u][b]Player           Build       Character Name    Level       Furthest Point[/b][/u]
newco              Paladin     SpankMeHard         1         Rogue Encampment

this is a nasty little tourney, i think i cant resist this one. And it is a good idea to define duriel as an exit point.

5. There is NO way to kill a monster that has only ranged attacks. You need to run and evade them. (I doubt there is a way to kill Blood Raven.)

IIRC ranged attackers actually do take damage if stand right next to them (range 1), but I'm not entirely sure... I can remember something like this. You're right about Blood Raven (and the ranger girls like her) because they'll run away. Someone could try it on ranged skeletons.

Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           2         Cold Plains

It's worth noting that barbarian's taunt skill might actually be an extremely useful tool in this - unfortunately, I have to play something that requires only one click, so I'll be going with a Paladin.

::Edit:: Just hit level 2 (Got lucky, found some nice chests and an exploding shrine, now have ATD 3. Also, a hint for those of you just starting - remember that when you're running, your block drops to 1/3 it's normal and your defense drops to 0. I've found it's easier to get hit by carvers (never thought I'd be advocating THAT!) if you time it so that as they're swinging, you start running. They rarely miss.

There's also other little things that I've noticed could be possible, but I'm going to hold off on mentioning them for the time being. Gotta keep SOME stuff to myself, after all!

Last edited:
Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           2         Rogue Encampment
NecSin             Paladin     SticksnStones       1         Rogue Encampment

Eh, I gotta go with the flow on this one. Paladin it is.
SticksnStones starts out in the Blood Moor.

Eddie ventured out into the blood moor and collected many shiny things, the next morning he did the same, skillfully evading the monsters. At some point he found the skull of a big nasty monster and decided it would make a nice decoration on a shield. After venturing a few times more into and out of the rogue encampment, Charsi finally head a socketed buckler for sale in which he put the skull. Now he was as ready as he would ever be for the challenge he had to overcome for that stupid drunk gamble. Now he could show them the monsters would drop dead without him lifting a finger, except of course to protect himself a bit in due course.
Shield held high he ventured out again and first went to visit a shrine he'd seen standing earlier, he felt he would learn a lot today, shortly after he was beset upon by a few imps who cornered him and he couldn't escape. Luckily he did have a lot to drink with him, some special blood red spirits to heal his wounds while he saw the imps slowly killing themselves when they hit him. They hardly managed to hit him though, even when he was just standing there and laughing at them. Eventually one died and the others immediately ran away so Eddie could move again following those others who again attacked him to bite the dust next to their fellow.
The zombies and spiky beasts he encountered were a little bit harder to engage, but would eventually do the same, attack him and die. At some point he started cursing them all instead of laughing at them, hoping to make them attack him even more stupidly. This worked quite well although cursing made him tired. But since he really was drinking a lot, he thought that maybe some nice circling bones around him could protect him a bit while still alowing the monsters to kill themselves. Beyond his hopes this worked and he felt very safe, he also discovered that those monsters would kill themselves more quickly when he'd run past them since they then tended to hit him more easily, totally against his intuition which told that a standing target is more easy to hit than a moving one. He paid some more visits to the camp in the hope to find more interesting things for sale when the witch Akara mentioned some drug which allowed one to run around far longer without getting tired. It tasted horrible, but it certainly did work, and he ran back into the Blood Moor only to find it empty. Only Flavie was still standing at the edge warning him to go into the Den before venturing further. Hadn't she seen him run past her earlier on to find some waypoint just beyond her?
He did however feel that it would be a good idea to test himself by trying the witch's quest. After buying a lot more of that disgusting potion he ran back past Flavie and into the Den. Immediately he was attacked by some gigantic beast which hit him hard, he had some feelings that maybe things weren't such a good idea as they seemed after a night at the pub. Nevertheless, with his bony protection and cursing abilities the beast went down quickly, as did the imps and zombies he encountered. The imps had however definately some base here, just like the witch had said, since they had shamen here, basically the same as themselves, but not so cowardly and with some special abilities. He got badly burned by the fireballs they threw upon him and also noticed how they resurrected their dead. He thought: `well, I can do that as well', just before remembering that he was not to do that according to the terms of the bet. Still he managed to trick the shamen into attacking him and killing themselves, eventually having most of the area cleared.
There was only a pack of particularly nasty looking zombies left. And as you might know, necromancers tend to be qualified judges in this matter. When a necromancer considers a zombie nasty looking then it is a nasty looking zombie. They hit a bit harder and would quickly wear down his bony protection, one of them, the nastiests of all chilled him to the bone, made him sick and gave him shocks with his touch. He also felt very tired again so went back to Akara for more nasty dope. Being a bit refreshed, he first engaged the other zombies, which did go down fair enough and then went to the nasty one again. Cursing in such terms that can not be repeated here, the zombie went down, dropping some nice (still coated in fresh undead meat, great for a student of life and death) and valuable looking items to be replaced by some strange light. Had this been some holy place he had now cleansed? Maybe some burial place that had been desecrated? He went back to the camp and asked Akara, but she would only teach him how to focus himself better to make his bony protection stronger, and wouldn't say much about the origin of the Den. `Well, I guess that means I've got to go grave digging there soon' thought Eddie as he drifted of to sleep.

So after the story, my first impression.
The monsters have a hard time hitting you, best to run around them to make them hit you, stamina shrines and potions are a must for this.
Find a chipped skull to put in a shield, together with body armour and belt of thorns, you're ready to start, and can do that at players 8, I had no need to lower the players setting.
I did encounter a gem shrine, but decided against upgrading my chipped skull, instead hoping for a second one (unfortunately it became a chipped diamond). I wanted to have some serious damage reflected back from the start (well all six points in this case), a flawed skull would only be usable at level 5, and by then you would also have some skills, not to mention more life, to help you stay alive. Of course now I'm looking for more chipped skulls and gem shrines.
If you play a character starting with high strenght, you'd better use a shield with more sockets (to add more skulls), the necromancer just couldn't wield a small shield at level 1.
The chance to cast when struck things do work and occassionally kill things, but are unreliable, still, the best thing you can get in a helmet.
Necrospecific: amplify damage helps the monsters kill themselves, bone armour lowers your health potion cost. I put a point in dim vision as well, but haven't used that yet. I probably put one point too many into bone armour though, since the synergies give more bang for the buck. Of course those synergies won't be available until level 12. I also shopped a wand to increase my bone armour casting level by two.

Code:
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               6         Cold Plains
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           2         Cold Plains

Last edited:
Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           13        Dark Wood

Just updating the charts, and wanted to clarify - RWM is acceptable, does that mean that if I can find the runes, I can make an Insight polearm? Having constant Meditation-healing would be nice.

Last edited:
Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           14        Outer Cloister

Last update for a little while on my part; I'd say I've gotten a good start though. ThornBush has been working hard; He's got a few points into Prayer, and Thorns is maxed for his level, except for one point which went into Cleansing. Healing between battles has been made much easier with that point in Cleansing, because between the points I've put into Prayer manually and my scepter, I heal 9 points per aura pulse.

Speaking of that scepter, it took me about a half hour to find it - +3 prayer and +3 thorns. Pain in the caboose to get hold of, and the number of rings, amulets, and charms I've sold to get that kind of money was ridiculous, but it's all worth it in the end. For every 1 point of damage I'm hit for, I'm returning 7 points. Played on P1 up until I got thorns, then switched over to P8 and haven't looked back. Had a few close calls, however - but as long as I keep an eye on my life bulb, death will ever hover on the horizon, never approaching.

I've also managed to find a few items - found a chipped skull, which became flawed thanks to a gem shrine. Saving that, as well as a few other items which I'll reveal when necessary.

Oh, and one last thing - I spent a half hour screwing around with Blood Raven. I tried things that would trigger when hit, and they didn't do damage fast enough to counter the fact that she appears to leech life. Currently looking for some physical damage reduction gear so that I can try and outdamage her that way.

Code:
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12         Dry Hills

Mmm, Patience was shown early on, and now I'm speeding through. Andy and Radamant dropped relatively easy, at lvl 11 and 12 respectively. Thorns is a pretty nice skill, and combined with ctc charged bolt and frost nova, really charges through those packs of carvers and undead.

But...a pack of zombies killed me in the den. I didn't see the 'no death' bit at first, so i just kept playing. Does this mean I'm disqualified : /??

Good point on taunt! My only concern is that it won't work against bosses, who are likely to be my biggest problem (as their damage is increased, but my returned damage isn't). But I suppose a point in Battle Cry will work well there.

I'm currently level 8 and using a large shield with one flawed skull, one chipped skull and one empty socket (might go back to running the superchests in the Blood Moor some more tomorrow to try and get more chipped skulls). It's disappointing that the ATD mod doesn't work unless they hit, but it's not a disaster.

When (/if) I get to level 25 I'll be tempted to run the Countess a few times and install RWM for Edge.

I'll join in with a necro for a start, just two more questions:
1. Are Bone Wall and Bone Prison allowed?
2. Can we use TCP/IP games to change maps?

Yes you should be able to use Bone Wall and Bone Prison. I admit - a big advantage for a necro if you make it that high.

I have no real opinion about changing maps. Do others have any opinions?

Yes you should be able to use Bone Wall and Bone Prison. I admit - a big advantage for a necro if you make it that high.

I have no real opinion about changing maps. Do others have any opinions?

Long as they don't play in that game, I'm cool with changing maps.

Code:
Uzziah             Paladin     No_Arms             4         Stony Field
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12         Dry Hills

Just adding myself to the tourney :) took about 20 minutes to get my first level, I cleared the den of evil first then found a 10% ctc charged bolt that I use for archers, up to 3 returned damage and 10% ctc charged bolt on 2 different items, this is quite fun, Think I will use prayer as a secondary aura, after all Gandhi did pray didn't he :scratch:

I made a pala like this before.. I made it to act4 normal actually.. died early on in there though. Can you use equipment other then ATD? Like life/res type gear?

About 7 years ago Thorns used to be my standard way of beating normal as fast as possible so that I could go and play hardcore. Of course, it was not nearly as restrictive as this tourney.

I've got a Necro up to level 5.5 following these rules and it seems like getting to level 12 is going to be _really_ tedious. :D

Anyway, so I had some questions which might be relevant to other players:

What about Blaze? <- love this sorc skill btw
What about Traps? <- I assume they are banned
What about Hydra? <- I assume banned for the same reason as traps
What about Confuse and Attract?
What about Corpse/Poison Explosion?
What about Static?

From the rules so far I think it sounds like all Necro curses are allowed. It seems like a really interesting play off: Thorns vs Iron Maiden/Mojo vs Cold Armours

Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           18        Far Oasis
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12        Dry Hills

Yep, he did pray - and that's been a big help to me so far. Level 18, far oasis - I might make Duriel today, and probably keep going past that just for kicks. Andy wasn't as tough as I expected her to be, once I discovered a trick that let me avoid her poison clouds.

Eddie continued a little bit and found two more chipped skulls.

@Fists Of War: one death and your character is out. I guess you can try again with a new character though, just start a hardcore game this time and you won't have to worry about accidentally continuing.

Code:
Quietus            Paladin     ThornBush           18        Far Oasis
Sir Lister Of Smeg Necromancer Eddie               8         Stony Field
Fists of War       Paladin     Patience            12        Dry Hills

One question came up during my planning of this char... can staffs be used for pre-buff as long as they arent wielded when I fight? (EDIT: is fought)

This looks like fun, and although I am a bit behind, I will join. My Paladin will be named Swiss Cider (suicider), and I have one question... can I lure monsters back to Flavie and have her kill them?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High