The Enchantress Tournament

There is so much conflicting information about enchant damage mechanics. I did the math to find out exactly what's going on. Questions I wanted an answer to:

* Is FM damage multiplier use twice, once in the enchant damage, and again in the total fire damage?
* What exactly does the merc benefit from?
* Does +FM help when pre-buffing?

My character is Clvl 31, physical points: 13 Warmth, 14 Enchant, 1 FM. Items: +1 fire skills from Magefist used in gameplay, +2 Enchant +3 fire skills (leaf) staff in inventory used only to pre-buff.

Wow you did some nice observation and analysis there, thanks for bothering, i am sure it will help a lot to help the mechanics.

I would like to add a few things though, which are from what i read rather than what i experienced.

* Bow damage not verified, but appears to be less than melee damage. Probably same damage on rogue merc.

The LCS damage display for the ranged weapons is wrong, FM definately applies to melee twice (which is shown correctly in LCS) once in casting, once in hitting with the fire damage. However it works only once for the ranged weapons physical damage.

However if you are using a fire bolt/arrow using ranged wep., that is when you get the FM bonus a second time. Once in casting enchant to boost the physical damage and convert it to fire, and once the fire arrow hits a target or causes an explosion. Those damages gets full benefit from FM.

BTW, what is said in enchant skill info about ranged weapons getting 1/3 bonus is wrong. They also get the whole boost. (IIRC)

* Loading up on +fire skills before casting Enchant affects only level of Enchant itself, not its synergies.

It has the same mechanics as meteor does for example. +skills to warmth doesn't add but +skills to FM does add to Enchant damage when casting Enchant. But since you will change the +skill skill setup afterwards, you don't get the full FM bonus twice. You get the +skill FM multiplier once while casting, and than when you are using attack setup your damage is affected by your current FM slvl.

* Loading up on +Warmth, +Enchant and +Fire Mastery before casting Enchant is good. The best weapon with which to cast Enchant is a +3 Warmth/Enchant/FM "leaf" staff.

I may have misunderstood you on what you said there but +Warmth doesn't have any effect since it is only a snergy and +skill doesn't count for snergy bonus. But that doesn't change the fact that 'leaf' is a great wep for pre-casting enchant as you say :grin:

All this assumes that the LCS and AS numbers are correct :rolleyes:

LCS numbers are never to be trusted :tongue:

Thanks again for the info Cygnus :thumbsup:

Code:
Forumname        Charname           Current Weapon       Lvl   Waypoint
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aerwynd          Flare              Hellplague           69    (RIP) Lister & Co.
Shadow Druid     Inara              Hellplague           63    (RIP) NM River of Flame
Moar             Eirin              Hellplague           58    NM Pandemonium Fortress
zenithsmith      Paksennarion        Baezil's Vortex     52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar  
Bladejj          Ms_Enchantress     Kuko Shakaku         50    NM Dark Wood
Docturnal        Mme_Zur            Rare Chu-Ko-Nu       45    [NM] Cold plains
Cygnus           Circe              Steel Flail/Bow      31    Frigid Highlands
Gaz              Chanty             Rare bal knife       30    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
Barren           MissFireStarter    Sander's wand        27    Pandemonium Fortress
Quickdeath       Macho_Lady         Morning Star         25    (RIP) Canyon-Magi
Tasdaz           Hot_Pants          Long Bow             25    Canyon Of The Magi
tweety           Phurby             Steel Battle Axe     24    Arcane Sanctuary
Freekje          Energetica         Rare Throw. knife    24    (RIP)
lpblasch         Tressy             Steel 1-hsword       22     Arcane Sanctuary
Dornak           Flame_Bait         'Steel' Large axe    20    Lut Gholein
ThaCheeZe        ChopChopBaby       'Steel' 2-hsword     19    Lut Gholein
AndiDi           FlamingLips        'Steel' Large Axe    19    Inner Cloister 

EmperorMoo       MissFlamey         Gemmed Bardiche      15    Outer Cloister
Cattleya         Candice            Scythe of the Leech  15    Black Marsh
IronCrown        BloodGeon(RIP)     Broad Axe            14    Black Marsh
Seein2Stars      TP-Sorcme          Gemmed Long Bow      12    (OUT)Stony Field
Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         magic dirk           10    Stony Field
Neumein          BurninSensation    Gemmed Spear          6    Cold Plains
NacRuno          Rapidash           Gemmed Axe            6    Cold Plains 
Smilts           FuryStrike         Gale Pale Bardiche    8    burial grounds Encampment
Yiuman           Willow             Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
DuesNox          Blzing-Sddls       Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
ZeN                  ?              Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
Chymaera         Faile              Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
Eudoxos          Fireclaw           Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment
nubikoen         XXXXXX             Short Staff           1    Rogue Encampment

Made some fixes to the table. lpblasch, when you update the table, please remember to delete the Quote labels

O.K., hope this update effort is better than the last, shin-kicking one:rolleyes

Small update.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aerwynd          Flare              Hellplague           69    (RIP) Lister & Co.
Shadow Druid     Inara              Hellplague           63    (RIP) NM River of Flame
Moar             Eirin              Hellplague           58    NM Pandemonium Fortress
zenithsmith      Paksennarion        Baezil's Vortex     52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar  
Gaz              Chanty             Rare bal knife       30    (RIP) Chaos Sanctuary 
Barren           MissFireStarter    Sander's wand        27    Pandemonium Fortress
Quickdeath       Macho_Lady         Morning Star         25    (RIP) Canyon-Magi
Tasdaz           Hot_Pants          Long Bow             25    Canyon Of The Magi
lpblasch         Tressy             Steel 1-hsword       22     Arcane Sanctuary

Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         magic dirk           10    Stony Field
Smilts           FuryStrike         Gale Pale Bardiche    8    burial grounds Encampment

I'm out for a while. I've got a couple exams coming up, and they are pretty iimportant. I'll remake her when I am done with them

I may have misunderstood you on what you said there but +Warmth doesn't have any effect since it is only a snergy and +skill doesn't count for snergy bonus. But that doesn't change the fact that 'leaf' is a great wep for pre-casting enchant as you say :grin:

LCS numbers are never to be trusted :tongue:

The only way the skill tree hover damage listing can be explained is +3 to Warmth from Leaf actually contributing to the damage. So damage from synergies is calculated using physical points and + individual synergy skills, but not +skill tree or +all skills.

Maybe the listed damage is wrong, I have no way to prove it one way or the other.

Code:

Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         magic dirk           13    Dark Wood

Another silly little update. Playing act 1 with no useful skills, no good weapon, and on players 5 is a real drag... but I've rescued Cain, and ought to pick up the pace between Tristram and the Black Tower. Level 18, here I come.

skunkbelly said:
Playing act 1 with no useful skills, no good weapon, and on players 5 is a real drag... but I've rescued Cain, and ought to pick up the pace between Tristram and the Black Tower. Level 18, here I come.

What weapon is your merc using?

(´cause I never experience any particularly slow killing before, say, the Barracks, even on /p8. Not even when the merc does all the damage.)

For weapon, I recommend a standard 2s Scepter with chipped ruby + sapphire. For the merc, I recommend a 3s Hunter´s Bow with the same gems, and an extra ruby.
(Why not topazes? They are FAR too valuble for anything but MF gear at this stage!)

Code:
zenithsmith      Paksennarion       Baezil's Vortex      52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar  
Docturnal        Mme_Zur            Rare Chu-Ko-Nu       45    NM Cold plains
lpblasch         Tressy             Steel 1-hsword       22    Arcane Sanctuary
IronCrown        BloodGeon          Broad Axe            14    (RIP)Black Marsh

Looks like a good time so far :azn:

What weapon is your merc using?

(´cause I never experience any particularly slow killing before, say, the Barracks, even on /p8. Not even when the merc does all the damage.)

For weapon, I recommend a standard 2s Scepter with chipped ruby + sapphire. For the merc, I recommend a 3s Hunter´s Bow with the same gems, and an extra ruby.
(Why not topazes? They are FAR too valuble for anything but MF gear at this stage!)

I was JUST going to post a groaner like Skunkbelly. I know this is a tournament, and this is my first Enchantress, but it's now very many NDE's in Tal Rasha's tomb. Everything in there empties my life bottle in a hurry, so I dropped back to p1 setting, but it's STILL tough.

Maybe it's my build:
Str 48
Dex 61
Vit 50

Act 2 defiance merc, doing pretty well. I only have points in Enchant, and a couple in Warmth. Is there something else I should be looking at to stay alive?
I'll go shop for a 2os scepter, and I have plenty of chippies to put in it.

O.K. update: I bought a 2os scepter and put the gems in, and we managed to beat Duriel. We're off to Act 3 and those annoying little Flayers. Still dringing about one pot per monster, though.

@lpblasch --> 20 ES + 20 Telekinesis :thumbsup:

@lpblasch --> 20 ES + 20 Telekinesis :thumbsup:

this will be what i will be building my sorc around for the tourney, at least what i though it would be, but it is not done as easily as said.

in what order the skills should be assigned? enchant is a skill which requires quite a bunch of skill points to do a reasonable damage. this means having to postpone ES and telekinesis project, but then the sorc becomes too vulnerable.

if you choose to assign points into ES as soon as you are able to, then the enchant damage doesn't do enough, and you start to use enchant only to boost merc damage, and start hiding behind it.

i personally don't know ES mechanics, how should ES and telekinesis skills should be assigned among them? and what exactly does telekinesis do to ES, i know it is a must and most guides even suggest 1 point to ES and 20 to telekinesis, but only ES decreses the damage to life bulb, so what is the trick behind it?

and one more problem, going 20 ES and 20 telekinesis requires points invested in energy, some guides even suggest none to vitality. but that doesn't suit to enchant since it is untwinked and enchant is our only source of damage.

i started my sorc and she is just about to face andariel, but haven't assigned any skill points yet, (nothing was useful so far, didn't want to boost warmth before deciding what to do).

this will be what i will be building my sorc around for the tourney, at least what i though it would be, but it is not done as easily as said.

in what order the skills should be assigned? enchant is a skill which requires quite a bunch of skill points to do a reasonable damage. this means having to postpone ES and telekinesis project, but then the sorc becomes too vulnerable.

if you choose to assign points into ES as soon as you are able to, then the enchant damage doesn't do enough, and you start to use enchant only to boost merc damage, and start hiding behind it.

i personally don't know ES mechanics, how should ES and telekinesis skills should be assigned among them? and what exactly does telekinesis do to ES, i know it is a must and most guides even suggest 1 point to ES and 20 to telekinesis, but only ES decreses the damage to life bulb, so what is the trick behind it?

and one more problem, going 20 ES and 20 telekinesis requires points invested in energy, some guides even suggest none to vitality. but that doesn't suit to enchant since it is untwinked and enchant is our only source of damage.

i started my sorc and she is just about to face andariel, but haven't assigned any skill points yet, (nothing was useful so far, didn't want to boost warmth before deciding what to do).

Well, better luck to you than I had. Some Thorned Hulk
in the Spider Forest just emptied my life bottle in a heartbeat, so I'm out. Gotta wait for a tournament so I can try again.

Code:
zenithsmith      Paksennarion       Baezil's Vortex      52    (RIP) NM Kurast Bazaar  
lpblasch         Tressy             2os scepter          23    (RIP) Spider Forest

Rats- I'm done, slain by a Thorned Hulk in Spider Forest.
Good luck to the surviving players.

Code:
lpblasch         Tressy             2os scepter          23    (RIP) Spider Forest
Chymaera         Faile              Large Axe            10    Stony Field

My first Hardcore so moving slowly :wink3:

Code:
Cygnus           Circe              Bow/Flail            51    NM Black Marsh
Killed Baal, no real problems although Lister was tough. Moved to nightmare. Countess dropped an El, boo hiss. Plan to rerun her after rerolling the map to get Lore and Rhyme.

Code:
Bladejj          Ms_Enchantress     Kuko Shakaku         64    NM Harrogath
Smilts           FuryStrike         Gale Pale Bardiche    8    burial grounds 
Dropped down to almost page 3 so I decided that I would put in a quick update. Got most of the way through NM and currently lvl 64. It's going pretty quick and easy with the help of my ranged tatics. Mephisto and Diablo went down quick, even on players 6 and 4 respectively.I have gotten my life to over 600 so now I feel safe. As one right now my overall damage is roughly 2900-3800, that is including other forms of elemental damage, mainly from lots of charms and M'avina's Icy Clutch Battle Gauntlets ---> Big D actually gave me something useful:badteeth:. Also found Tal's belt and this nice pair of boots...

Rune Blazer
Battle Boots
Defense: 43
Durability: 18 of 18
Kick Damage: 37 to 64
Required Strength: 95
Required Level: 25
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0xf0ffdf5f
Lightning Resist +23%
Cold Resist +24%
24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Half Freeze Duration
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds

I am now going into Act V (considering getting a Act V merc, lol key world in considering), have it at players 5 atm, and no real problems yet. Also I was wondering if there has been a decision made on the use of static field. It has not become a problem yet but I think in hell it would be a good idea to consider allowing it (mabey just on act bosses?). Well thats it until next time....

I am now going into Act V (considering getting a Act V merc, lol key world in considering), have it at players 5 atm, and no real problems yet.

About the actV merc, i advise aganist it for the time being. I use an actV merc for every char that doesn't benefit from the aura (means most of my sorcs), however their survivality is way below act2 mercs if his level is not high enough. Since he gets a much better life boost with each level his survivality increase is more than act2 dudes and they start to become very useful ones you start NM act3 or act4. And with version 1.11 mercs gain level much faster but that seems to apply after you start NM.

So what i mean is postpone getting the act5 merc till you finish NM act2, you will like that big chunk of muscles much more if you do that...

PS: My enchant sorc will also be a ranged one and i am thinking that she will rather prefer a Holy Freeze town guard but its your choice :wink3:

About the actV merc, i advise aganist it for the time being. I use an actV merc for every char that doesn't benefit from the aura (means most of my sorcs), however their survivality is way below act2 mercs if his level is not high enough. Since he gets a much better life boost with each level his survivality increase is more than act2 dudes and they start to become very useful ones you start NM act3 or act4. And with version 1.11 mercs gain level much faster but that seems to apply after you start NM.

So what i mean is postpone getting the act5 merc till you finish NM act2, you will like that big chunk of muscles much more if you do that...

PS: My enchant sorc will also be a ranged one and i am thinking that she will rather prefer a Holy Freeze town guard but its your choice :wink3:
Thanks NacRuno to what seems to be a vertian response. I am thinking that the Act V one might be different and fun (never used one except on my first ever disaster character). The thing that you missed in my last post is that I am currently lvl 64 and in NM Act V. I think I will hold off on getting one though until I find he a good sword for his to use. The reason I choose not to get a holy freeze merc is because with my Kuko Shakuko Bow comibined with Enchant causes huges explosions, also combine that with my hefty about of cold damage and it freezes pretty much everybody that is an immediate threat.

Code:
Bladejj          Ms_Enchantress     Kuko Shakaku         64    NM Harrogath
Skunkbelly       Skunkflame         gemmed large axe     16    Outer Cloister

Smilts           FuryStrike         Gale Pale Bardiche    8    burial grounds 

Little update. Still no interesting finds, but perhaps Andy will be kind. Still 1.75 levels to go until I reach level 18.

Made a really annoying noob error. The Countess dropped me two Tals... great, I'll put one in this three-socket long bow... oops, forgot level requirement :badteeth:

Thanks NacRuno to what seems to be a vertian response. I am thinking that the Act V one might be different and fun (never used one except on my first ever disaster character). The thing that you missed in my last post is that I am currently lvl 64 and in NM Act V.

sorry, my bad :duh:

I think I will hold off on getting one though until I find he a good sword for his to use. The reason I choose not to get a holy freeze merc is because with my Kuko Shakuko Bow comibined with Enchant causes huges explosions, also combine that with my hefty about of cold damage and it freezes pretty much everybody that is an immediate threat.

The reason i am planning HF is for the slow the whole screen effect. But leaning on cold damage charms also seems a good approach. Does the explosion of Kuko also carry the freeze effect of the charms? Causing a group of monsters to slow down rather than just the one you shot ??? If that is the case that is just excellent...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High