SPF Technical Support Thread

This kind of thing happens to a lot of older programs and games if they're installed to system folders. In win7 this is solved by choosing another folder to install to such as E:\games and programs\diablo II which is what I'm using.

So I'm running a new PC with Windows 10 and decided to install D2 again and give it a whirl. After having issues getting it to run smoothly in Windows 10 and dealing with the new patch (...by installing 1.13d; 1.14 looks hopeless for SPF) I've now run into a GoMule issue.

Basically, I move an item into a stash. When I close the stash, I get the following error:

Code:
Error

Can not create backup dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Save\GoMule.backup\W2016.06.12
    at randall.util.RandallUtil.checkDir(RandallUtil.java:178)
    at gomule.util.D2Backup.backup(D2Backup.java:80)
    at gomule.d2s.D2Character.saveInternal(D2Character.java:1334)
    at gomule.gui.D2ItemListAdapter.save(D2ItemListAdapter.java:39)
    at gomule.gui.D2FileManager.saveAllItemLists(D2FileManager.java:1076)
    at gomule.gui.D2FileManager.saveAll(D2FileManager.java:1061)
    at gomule.gui.D2ViewStash$1.internalFrameClosing(D2ViewStash.java:145)
    at javax.swing.JInternalFrame.fireInternalFrameEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JInternalFrame.doDefaultCloseAction(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicInternalFrameTitlePane$CloseAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

After closing the stash and the character that was open, when I re-open them both the character still has the items I muled off and the stash has them as well. The GoMule preferences don't seem to give me much in the way of options that might deal with this situation. For what it's worth, I do have GoMule stuffed in My Documents and not the D2 folder, but I know that I'd run it that way in the past as well. So... halp!?

Thank you for your answer.

So quick questions... anyone know if there'sd a modified .dll working for 1.14d? Multiple windows would be great.. considering playing this game again... it's been a while.

So I've got a roughly 10 year old ATMA stash that won't open. It worked back in the day on a different computer.

Error message is
Invalid stash file checksum

any ideas?

TIA

EDIT: I uploaded it to Google drive if anyone wanted to try the file on their install

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried GoMule and no luck it just opens with 0/0 items displayed.
I recovered the file from my Gmail account so there isn't a backup. The CPU it was on is long since gone.

GoMule does look way more functional than ATMA though. Might have to convert.

Maybe try downloading some older version(s) of ATMA, although I doubt that makes any difference.

GoMule is indeed more functional, BUT it doesn't work with pre-1.10 versions.

This kind of thing happens to a lot of older programs and games if they're installed to system folders. In win7 this is solved by choosing another folder to install to such as E:\games and programs\diablo II which is what I'm using.
I have ATMA installed loose on my C Drive. And I stuck GoMule under Users\Me\GoMule
I also loaded up an ATMA I have on a thumb drive and that didn't help.
Also moved the file around from the Download folder, the folder where I keep all my ATMA stashes and to the thumb drive. Didn't help. But stashes that function in their normal location also work in the various othe locations.

I think I'm out of options, but it doesn't look that critical as only two other people were interested in the tourney that I'd need the info from the stash for.

EDIT: Actually I dug up the stash emailed back to Skunkbelly and it works even though its the exact same name on the file. So I can get a good idea of how he set up the tourney. Down side is a lot of the items were altered during the course of play, so I'll have to just back track on what got crafted and upped etc.

Last edited:
Anyone knows what I could do with ATMA ? It shows an error message about being unable to load a gfx for item and then quits. I am sure that the item which bugs ATMA is essence of pain that dropped from Duriel (finally, I have progressed to act 3 !). I can't mule in or mule out my stuff.

Edit: Muled essece out with GoMule but I am still unable to use ATMA. Damn. Lost 17 millions of gold :(

Last edited:
Atma definitely doesn't recognize the essences iirc. Not sure why you still can't use ATMA though.

I did a reinstall of Windows 10 and now GoMule has some graphical errors. I did try and google a bit, but I couldn't find similar issues. When I try to open a stash and mouse over the open button the graphics cease to function properly. This also happens with the rest of the application after this breaks. The first is the "Open Stash" selection, and the second picture is the application itself after I try to open a stash.

I have some similar issues with GoMule as well, but this was already the case in Win7. As a matter of fact, I'm now starting to wonder if I still have this in Win10.

Anyway, Not sure what causes it, but what usually helps for me is to drag the dialog box a bit to another place.

Weird, for me even opening up a character will break it. It is fine as long as I avoid the lower area of the dialogue box where the buttons are or open up a character.

argh - i tried to reinstall after I started getting an error any time I would try to load a character. I backed up my Save, Runewords, 1.07, 1.06b, and 1.00 folders and clean installed from Blizzard's installer

First thing - everything I've done has been in 1.13d, and the new installers from Blizzard go straight to 1.14b

Second thing, I copied over all my backups into the Diablo II folder, but the game isn't actually looking in the save folder. I made a new character, but all of its files got saved in C:->Users->Computer Name->Saved Games->Diablo II

So two questions - I'm assuming any time travelling is gone now because of 1.14, but I don't know. I'm using TrenShadow for what it's worth, because Bliss version switcher for some reason has never worked for me. Am I out of luck for old patches now?

Second question - how do I get my characters back? I'm not too keen on starting over, even though I don't play much SC anymore

:( How do I get ATMA to continue auto-loading my character files? It's kind of tedious (and risky) for ATMA to not auto-load.

Also, my screenshots stopped saving after the 14th for some reason. I tried searching my other folders but couldn't find anything. I'm using BVS to play 1.07

edit: fixed both problems (and more) by changing windows account settings to not prompt me on any system changes.... somehow this setting was changed a few days ago through antivirus. Insane

Last edited:
^continuing from above.. it appears I lost several days worth of experience (and other drops). Not sure how this happens or how to fix it... looking at my backup files it looks like windows just full-stop deleting several days worth of effort. UGH

edit: yup. Newest file modification was on the 15th (despite my streaming and stuff since then. This is so frustrating)

argh - i tried to reinstall after I started getting an error any time I would try to load a character. I backed up my Save, Runewords, 1.07, 1.06b, and 1.00 folders and clean installed from Blizzard's installer

First thing - everything I've done has been in 1.13d, and the new installers from Blizzard go straight to 1.14b

Second thing, I copied over all my backups into the Diablo II folder, but the game isn't actually looking in the save folder. I made a new character, but all of its files got saved in C:->Users->Computer Name->Saved Games->Diablo II

So two questions - I'm assuming any time travelling is gone now because of 1.14, but I don't know. I'm using TrenShadow for what it's worth, because Bliss version switcher for some reason has never worked for me. Am I out of luck for old patches now?

Second question - how do I get my characters back? I'm not too keen on starting over, even though I don't play much SC anymore

I still haven't gotten this figured out :( My 4 years of SC characters live in the save folder, but I don't understand why the game isn't accessing that folder. Anyone have any idea?

I still haven't gotten this figured out :( My 4 years of SC characters live in the save folder, but I don't understand why the game isn't accessing that folder. Anyone have any idea?

With 1.14, the game looks for characters in your users/(windows user name you log in as)/saved games/Diablo II. Move your characters from your save folder to that location and they should show up when you load the game.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High