SPF Technical Support Thread

Thyiad1

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Mar 3, 2006
[highlight]
SPF Technical Support Thread
[/highlight]

If you are aggravated by ATMA or vexed by the version switcher, here is where you should ask for help. Please don’t make additional threads, read here and have a go. If you are still struggling, post here and wait for a reply. Help requests outside of this thread may get merged into here.

Before asking for help, please read the rules, as asking for help on something not allowed in this forum may get you banned. All permitted modifications are described in the rules, if you have any questions, please contact the forum moderators.

Links to all files are in the SPF Community and Links thread. It is recommended that you only use files linked from this thread as they are known to be working. This thread also includes instructions to various permitted practices.

You can ask for help on any supported topic, such as:
  • Running approved versions of D2 in specific operating systems (Linux, Windows 10 etc.)
  • Mulling with ATMA or GoMule
  • RWM installation.
  • Running multiple instances with the DLL files
You may not ask for help on:
  • Anything not permitted by the rules
[highlight]Playing on BNet[/highlight]
Many of the mods permitted here will cause you problems if you try to play on BNet with them installed. Always use a Vanilla shortcut if you want to play on BNet.

[highlight]Backup[/highlight]
Computer hard drives (even SSDs) have a habit of dying. Most people on this forum have invested significant time into this game, if you don’t want to do an unplanned restart, make backups. Remember to do characters and stashes, and for all versions you play.
Some possible solutions
  • Copy files to a USB stick - Sticks do get lost though.
  • E-mail yourself the files
  • Backup to Google Drive / Dropbox / Microsoft Drive etc.
See also Data Recovery Tips by skiffcz

[highlight]Frequently Asked Questions[/highlight]
If anyone wants to add items to this section, please PM me the text.

What are all the file extensions?
.d2s - Diablo II save file
.d2x - ATMA / GoMule stash file,
.org - ATMA backup
.ma1 / .ma2 / .ma3 - Map files. This is only the map that you have revealed, removing this does not change the map.

How do I restore an ATMA backup?
Ensure you are restoring the file for the correct reasons before proceeding. Contact both moderators if in any doubt.

Go to the Save folder
Delete the corrupted .d2s (or .d2x) file
Locate the .org file.There may be several for the same character, check the created dates.
Change the file extension from .org to .d2s
Open in Diablo II

How do I restore a GoMule backup?
Ensure you are restoring the file for the correct reasons before proceeding. Contact both moderators if in any doubt.

How do I re-roll a map?
Nightmare or Hell - Change difficulty then return to the difficulty you were playing.
Normal - Go to “Other Multiplayer Games” then “Host Game.”

How do I get RWM/RRM running with Ubuntu?
From @silospen :

3 important steps:

1) Install the mods in the normal way - Note you have to install RWM in the base dir, not a seperate one like the guide suggests.

So you should have something similar to:

D2 dir: /home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo 2
RWM: /home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo 2/data/global/excel/Runes.txt

2) IMPORTANT: Cd to the base d2 directory: cd /home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo 2

If you recall, windows has a box in shortcuts that says "run in". This is not present in Linux, the "run in" variable is taken from the current directory the terminal is in. This is the step I missed and without it, you won't be able to run the mods.

3)
wine Diablo II.exe -direct -txt -ns -w

(Or without the ns and w if you want sound and full screen :) )

Additional note: The data folder has to be in the root Diablo folder - i.e. You don't need the runewords one.

Why is Symantec flagging ATMA as a virus/adware?
It is a false positive. This post and this post shows how to get around it.

The game keeps crashing when I try to start it
Try not installing in the default location, i.e. NOT in C:/Program FIles (Windows) or in /Applications (Mac).

If you have already installed it on a Mac, drag it onto the desktop then try to run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I still can't get Silo's run counter to save my characters and subsequently, the profiles associated with them. Anyone know of any diagnostics I might try? I've reinstalled it a few times. For reference, it works fine on my laptop, just not on the new pc

Remind me, Daz, you're using the same Windows versions? Both are admins? Both Java's are the same?

Both admins. My laptop is win7 but d2 runs in xp compatability, whereas everything is just win7 on my pc. Both java's are fully updated

I need a little help getting GoMule to work (again).

How do I get GoMule to look in the correct folders? My game characters are stored in the AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles(x86) folder.

GoMule won't look there. If I try to open a character file, those do not show up as options.

If I move the files, will the game still work?

Thanks.

I need a little help getting GoMule to work (again).

How do I get GoMule to look in the correct folders? My game characters are stored in the AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles(x86) folder.

GoMule won't look there. If I try to open a character file, those do not show up as options.

If I move the files, will the game still work?

Thanks.

If everything's working with the game, don't move the files. AppData is a hidden folder, but you can still access it through the file browser in GoMule by typing it in when you're on your user's home folder (e.g., browse to c:\users\Goldtru and then type in AppData and hit ok/enter).

If everything's working with the game, don't move the files. AppData is a hidden folder, but you can still access it through the file browser in GoMule by typing it in when you're on your user's home folder (e.g., browse to c:\users\Goldtru and then type in AppData and hit ok/enter).

That worked, thank you.

One further question. I have several stashes in Atma that are .d2x files. But GoMule can only see two of them. When I type in the file name, GoMule doesn't see the file. What should I do?

That worked, thank you.

One further question. I have several stashes in Atma that are .d2x files. But GoMule can only see two of them. When I type in the file name, GoMule doesn't see the file. What should I do?
Can you get to these files using the regular Windows file explorer?

That's strange. Are they in the same place as your working .d2x files? Can you try moving them elsewhere to see if GoMule will then see them?

Is it something silly like the file is called "stash.d2x.org" and you are hiding the file extensions in Windows file explorer? This would make it look like a .d2x file in Windows explorer, but GoMule would see it as an .org (backup) file and filter it out of the list.

I don't know why it was doing it , but I fixed it by copying and pasting the files into another folder. So now it is all working perfectly!

Thanks so much for all your help. I notice that you are thanked in the About menu! So it's great to get help from the source! :)

Glad it's working for you. :) I just gave some suggestions and a minor patch or two; all of the real work is from Randall and Silospen, as far as I know. Although I have done my share of digging into it on my own in an effort to make it work with MedianXL characters.

Arghhh, I still can't get it to work :(

Basically, I can create a character and profile in Silospen's run counter, and it starts working just fine. However, after exiting the run counter, any characters/profiles I created are gone, and I can't find them anywhere. Thoughts?

Where is the run counter located and how do you launch it? If I remember correctly, it will write out its data to a file in the same location. Make sure that the run counter is not running from inside program files.

I launch it via a desktop icon. The application itself is in a folder on my desktop where I keep all my stashes, which makes reinstalling the game much easier for keeping all my items. The only other file in that folder that isn't gomule or a .d2x is a file called rcinfo.

Have you tried putting in somewhere else other than in the main OS partition? Or maybe it's some anti-virus software interfering?

Have you tried putting in somewhere else other than in the main OS partition? Or maybe it's some anti-virus software interfering?

Shouldn't be an antivirus deal - I use the same setup on this comp that I do on my laptop. I can check where it's installed on my laptop though - maybe it's just not saving in the spot it's looking

If you look at the rcinfo file (using any text editor like notepad), is there anything there? Or is it just plain empty? If there is something there, it would indicate that it has worked at *some* point in time, and there was a change which broke it.

Does it work if you launch the .jar file directly instead of using your shortcut?

Here's what is says in my rcinfo:

d2dir:C:\Games\Diablo II\Save\deathseeker.d2s
deathseeker.0.totRuns:4
deathseeker.0.nSaves:1
deathseeker.path:C:\Games\Diablo II\Save\deathseeker.d2s
deathseeker.0.avgRTime:333788
deathseeker.0.pTarget:Tyrael
chars:deathseeker
deathseeker.0.fastest:79847
deathseeker.0.totRTime:446045
deathseeker.nProfs:1

I'll try the .jar file in a second

That's interesting - I think you might have a different version of RunCounterAdv than I do. My rcInfo file has the properties delimited by > angle bracket characters rather than : colons. If I take your file and replace the colons with angle brackets, it loads just fine in mine.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High