Random Tournament 2020 Stay/Shelter-in-Place/Home Edition

I apologize @queenEm I thought you were just joking with your post.

Vildecor got you covered on the skill though, let us know which armor and/or weapon slot to reroll.
Hahaha, told you I didn't understand the rules... I blame... Ehhh... It being Sunday or something.

I'll continue with this, thanks a lot!

Efit: and just to make sure I am not doing anything stupid: I found an eagle orb with +2 warmth. This is a passive skill but not one of my allowed. Is it ok to use this orb?

Last edited:
Hahaha, told you I didn't understand the rules... I blame... Ehhh... It being Sunday or something.

I'll continue with this, thanks a lot!

Efit: and just to make sure I am not doing anything stupid: I found an eagle orb with +2 warmth. This is a passive skill but not one of my allowed. Is it ok to use this orb?
Yes. Passive bonuses from equipped items are in old-school terms; awesomesauce.

Reactions: queenEm
Been a rough few days over here so I've been really just playing to unwind. I've managed to reach Act5. Mephisto almost took me out as I had less than 10% life remaining and dodged a ball to TP back to town safely. I'm really not liking Zeal. Being locked into 4 hits is almost playing with death. I prefer to just toss a dagger at their face. I'm a dagger tossing freezing holy avenger by trade it seems, while my companion, a Rogue name Isolde, backs me up with some fine shooting.

The Hellforge rewarded my non-single pass with a mighty EL. Hopefully it reserves a good one for one of you SP players. Found a Mechanic's Crown Shield right from Infector of Souls with 2os and 8% resist all, which I promptly placed a topaz in it for much needed lightning resist. I've been finding items with cold and poison out the wazoo so those are maxed and F/L was at 40% before a sheepishly played Diablo at /p1. Good thing he might have burned my slow-mo paladin who couldn't out-run his breath most of the time. Tossing out daggers while trying to stay within freezing range would have been hard to keep going on a /p5 I imagine.

With that said, can I get my NM rolls please as I'll be finishing this act sometime today/this evening.

Forever Skills
Redemption
Holy Freeze
Smite -> Defiance
Resist Cold (locked from Normal Skills)

Normal Skills
Fist of the Heavens
Conversion
Resist Fire
Zeal

Code:
     Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Last Waypoint          Points
     ----------------- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------------------- -------
     Vang              Shockingly           Sor     35     Highlands              13
     Vang              Bludgeon             Pal     32     Harrogath              12
SP   CaseyJones        Turgruel             Pal     20     Act 2 Sewers            3
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Vildecor          Daphydae             Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   DariusTriplet     Vegas                Pal     19     Act 2 Sewers            3
SP   Pb_pal            Silika               Asa     18     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Grisu             Pynache              Ama     15     Black Marsh             0
     Vang               Bludgeon            Pal     19     Lut Gholein             3
     Swamigoon         Witgat               Dru     10     Jail 1                  1
     Swamigoon         Cuckoo               Dru     17     Halls o' Dead 2         3

Reactions: Vildecor
So my sorceress has cleared act 1 in normal, so far no real trouble. Will go Lightning during Normal since all skills pointed in that direction...

I am a bit worried about my equipment, especially the belt, having a sash with only 2 rows and using lightning as main skill = mana addiction... Have changed into a combat merc now so I will get some life regeneration and a tank so I can stand back and just fire away.

Also: managed to find 3 TC3 items! Hand of Broc, Felloak and Lenymo! The belt was nice. A sash meaning I can use it and it gives some extra in the mana department

Forever Skills
Fireball
Blizzard
Frost Nove

Normal Skills
Lightning
Chain Lightning
Static Field
Blaze
Charged Bolt

Equipment:
Medium armor, Full helm, Buckler, Sash.Light PLated Boots, LIght Gauntlets, Eagle Orb/Sacred Globe

Code:
     Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level  Last Waypoint          Points
     ----------------- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------------------- -------
     Vang              Bludgeon             Pal     32     Harrogath              12
SP   CaseyJones        Turgruel             Pal     20     Act 2 Sewers            3
SP   b1ur              Lynn                 Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Vildecor          Daphydae             Ama     20     Lut Gholein             3
SP   DariusTriplet     Vegas                Pal     19     Act 2 Sewers            3
SP   Pb_pal            Silika               Asa     18     Lut Gholein             3
SP   Grisu             Pynache              Ama     15     Black Marsh             0
     Vang               Bludgeon            Pal     19     Lut Gholein             3
     QueenEm           RandomQueen          Sorc    20     Lut Gholein             3

With that said, can I get my NM rolls please as I'll be finishing this act sometime today/this evening.

Got you covered.

Forever Skills
Redemption
Holy Freeze
Smite -> Defiance

Nightmare Skills
Holy Shock
Prayer
Thorns
Sanctuary

Kinda rough rolls...you have a smorgasbord of auras to choose from!

Reactions: Vang and Pb_pal
Got you covered.

Forever Skills
Redemption
Holy Freeze
Smite -> Defiance

Nightmare Skills
Holy Shock
Prayer
Thorns
Sanctuary

Kinda rough rolls...you have a smorgasbord of auras to choose from!
Thank you!

Looks like I'll dump some points in either sanctuary or holy shock (most likely shock) for the Cold immunes in NM.

Bludgeon grinded Baal down rather slowly, took a good 10minutes or so, but was rather safe. I was able to
Screenshot014.jpg
and of course finally take down Baal
Screenshot018.jpgScreenshot019.jpg
Over all the act was pretty safe, I ran Pindleskin a few times and got nothing for my attempts other than a bit of experience and I leave for NM at level 46 and used my respec to get rid of all those combat skills I was using, naw not really I'm to far away to hit them with zeal most the time and just toss daggers.

Code:
     Vang              Bludgeon             Pal     46     Rogue NM               15

Damn it! I don't have time for this, but D2 is my favorite game ever and I love stuff like this. Nobody has rolled a barbarian yet, so would someone like to roll me one?

Damn it! I don't have time for this, but D2 is my favorite game ever and I love stuff like this. Nobody has rolled a barbarian yet, so would someone like to roll me one?
Sure! Great to see you on board! Any preferences on weapon choices or random weapons?

Ok, I hope I got this right: If you roll a weapon mastery of a weapon you aren't allowed to used, it is rerolled, right? Or is it automatically the mastery of the weapons you rolled? @Vang?

Dazliare's Barbarian:

Weapons:
Maul
Great Maul
Bardiche

Armor:
Heavy Armor
Large Shield
Great Helm
Leather Gloves
Light Plated Boots
Belt
Fanged Helm

Forever Skills:
Throwing Mastery (auto reroll) -> Throwing Mastery (auto reroll) -> Find Item
Axe Mastery (auto reroll) -> Concentrate (auto reroll) -> Natural Resistance
Concentrate

Normal Skills:
Battle Cry
Bash
Double Swing
Grim Ward
Increased Speed

Kind of a brutish build 🤪
I hope I got this right---rerolls?

Last edited:
Question for @Vang - If I don't roll any one handed weapons, would Double Swing get re-rolled too?

@Grisu I'm happy with all of that except Great Maul. Am I allowed to request a one handed weapon roll? I just want the option to use a shield if possible

Also if I'm allowed to reroll to a one handed weapon, ill keep double swing

@Dazliare: Good questions! I think there was a ruling addendum in one of the old tournaments, but I can't find it. Originally, it was just bad luck if you rolled the wrong mastery/skill (like double swing for only two-handed weapons) for your weapons, but that was changed 2012 I think? As it stands, Double Swing would indeed be rerolled. I don't know if you can choose to only reroll on one handed maces - I think not (we had a similar case this tournament where Vang said, it is random, if you get a one- or two-handed sword), but chance is 1 in 7 6 in 7 for an one-handed mace if you reroll :)

So if Vang doesn't rule otherwise, I'll reroll the Great Maul. If it is a one-handed mace, skills stay like this, if it is Great Maul again, I'll reroll Double Swing, you can then choose to reroll a skill or lock a skill forever. Sounds good to you?

Couldn't he just request a sword? ...being that barbs can hold a 2hand sword in 1 hand, it would solve the issue, no?

Edit: I was a bit confused by @Grisu's X in 7 chance statement, so I checked the 1st post, and thought for a moment it was because of the (very minor) typo that both Maul and Great Maul are listed as '7', then I realized he already had Maul, so it's right... but thought @Vang might wanna fix that, as well as the possibly more serious typo that lists 'Giant Sword' twice in the sword list... obviously, a roll of 14 on the swords list should be 'Great Sword' instead...

WoRG

Last edited:
Couldn't he just request a sword? ...being that barbs can hold a 2hand sword in 1 hand, it would solve the issue, no?
I'll let Vang rule on that, but from former iterations of this tournament, rerolls can only be done within the weapon class you have chosen (either actively or in this case randomly).

Since Dazliare wanted random weapon rolls, I rolled the two weapon classes (maces and polearms), then rolled which class got rolled twice (maces). Then I rolled 7 and 8 for the maces (Maul and Great Maul) and 1 for the Polearms (Bardiche). So if you now choose to reroll Great Maul, I have to roll on the mace list from 1-8 (or 1-7 without the Maul). If you choose to reroll Bardiche, I have to reroll on polearms (1-6).

Sorry about that, but that's at least how it worked the last few tournaments. The only way to avoid this is not to choose random weapons but e.g. "2x swords, 1xmaces", because swords can be used one- or two-handed. By choosing random though, you commit yourself to the gods of random.org ;-)

EDIT: Also, I go by the order on Arreat Summit to avoid getting confused by the typos :) So in this order:
Normal Axes
Normal Bows
Normal Crossbows
Normal Daggers
Normal Javelins
Normal Maces
Normal Polearms
Normal Scepters
Normal Spears
Normal Staves
Normal Swords
Normal Throwing
Normal Wands

So it could have been worse - I could have rolled wands and staves :p

@Grisu @Dazliare Grisu is correct (And using the summit always works!, I do it half the time instead of checking the first post), since it was all random you are sorta stuck. I took the honor of rerolling the weapon and got:

3 for Mace.

Looks like a solid Barbarian overall.

@WoRG Thanks for the error checks, fixed!

Thank you all! I started Ironchad the Barbarian tonight. Haven't had a chance to do much, though I did shop two maces and a socketed bardiche. The bardiche is making short work of the denizens of the countryside surrounding the rogue's camp

My plan is to use bash with a bardiche and double swing the maces to victory!

Reactions: CaseyJones
Been Busy the last day playing as my concrete failed to go poured and I didn't do any meaningful work yesterday or will today (work the afternoon shift). Also looks like I failed to take more than one picture
Screenshot020.jpg

I did ditch my Rogue as my CTH was super low still and figured it was the best idea for a Blessed Aim mercenary. Found a few more uniques that I can't use and found a nice little Dragon Shield that I went back to normal to get socketed to make this:

Ancients' Pledge
Dragon Shield
'RalOrtTal'
Defense: 91
Chance to Block: 48%
Smite Damage: 15 to 24
Durability: 76 of 76
Required Strength: 91
Required Level: 25
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0x796043ea
+50% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +48%
Lightning Resist +48%
Cold Resist +43%
Poison Resist +48%
10% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Code:
     Vang              Bludgeon             Pal     54     Kurast Docks NM        21

Thanks to @Vang for the clarification re: buggy Radament! I don't need the skill point quite yet, so I'll go back and /p1 my way through later on.

After being mystified by the Mystery of the Missing Mummy, Vegas trekked out to the Lut Gholein deserts. I ditch my Act 1 mercenary for an Act 2, and added an additional tournament rule for myself: mercenary weapons, when not set by the tournament rules, must also be randomized. Since Act 3 and 5 mercenaries can use Crystal Swords, I rolled for bows and spears/poles/javs...

Act 1: Long Bow
Act 2: Spear

Could be worse, I suppose - Cedar and Shadow Bows ain't bad, and War Spears can drop in Act 4 Normal (I think?). I gambled a junky blue Spear for my mercenary and started questing.

As usual for casters, this was where Vegas went from a whack-monsters-with-a-sword to sling-hammers-and-lay-waste character. I usually don't bother fighting everything in my path in Act 2, since many of the monsters aren't worth the trouble (Leapers, Worms); thankfully, Hammers are really quite excellent in the open spaces of the desert. Mana is a real problem - Vegas only has ~50 - so I anticipate drinking lots of potions on my way through Normal. I've been cubing up gems in the hope of getting a Flawless/Perfect Sapphire by the end of Normal, but it's a race between making that and a "Lore" Bone Helm first.

A blue Rondache with +resist automods dropped, and I was able to gamble Vegas' last missing piece of gear at clvl 23:
Screenshot028.jpg
Looking good! ...except for the Sturdy Bone Helm, which is too damn expensive to re-gamble :p After playing 23 levels without a belt, I really appreciated gaining 12 potion slots - I had been carrying them around in inventory, which was a real drag.

Maggots were horrible as always for a Hammerdin; I spent a lot of time futilely waving my sword as my mercenary got stuck on corners. I zipped through the rest of the act as fast as possible, since the Arcane Sanctuary tends to be kind to Hammerdins. A Ghost there was kind enough to provide an Eth rune, which, combined with my Countess Tal, greatly improved Vegas' armor:
Screenshot029.jpg
Summoner dropped Gorefoot, which would be cool, but Vegas never learned how to tie his shoes.

I got into the habit of taking pre-Duriel screenshots from my time playing Classic, so here's Vegas right before popping into the Chamber:
Screenshot032.jpg
I really like the all-silver look :)

I fought Duriel on /p8 and expected the worst, but he's really much gentler than in pre-1.13. Even with Vegas' low blockrate, his high HP + a few Thawing Potions allowed me to just tank the hits and sling Hammers until he fell. I did have to run back to town to restock on potions, but otherwise it was unremarkable (in both fight and drops).

Code:
SP   DariusTriplet     Vegas                Pal     24     Kurast Docks            6

Witgat defeated Andy by chilling her with a little arctic blast, followed by a barrage of fulminating potions. His only gear so far is a Hsaru's set buckler, a "lizard's sash of thorns," a light crossbow with two empty (so far) sockets, and some nondescript jewelry. I'm working a bit more deliberately with Witgat than I did with the earlier druid, so hopefully he'll progress a bit farther.

Code:
SP   DariusTriplet     Vegas                Pal     24     Kurast Docks            6
     Swamigoon         Witgat               Dru     18     Act 2 Sewers            3
     Swamigoon         Cuckoo               Dru     17     Halls o' Dead 2         3(RIP)

(I modified the table: I added a note in the points column of my defeated druid, just as a reminder.)

Reactions: Pb_pal and Grisu
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High