RAFFSTER’S Holy Fire / Holy Shock Auradin Guide (ultimate PvPer IMO)

raffster

Mar 1, 2004
www.raffster.com
RAFFSTER’S Holy Fire / Holy Shock Auradin Guide (ultimate PvPer IMO)

RAFFSTER’S Holy Fire / Holy Shock Auradin Guide

A. Introduction
B. Skill Placement
C. Equipment
D. Stat Placement
E. Other Stuff
F. Dueling strategies
G. Special Thanks

A. Introduction
I met one of these builds in a trading game (hell mode) two weeks ago and decided to challenge it with my Poison Javazon (max resists in hell). Needless to say it was a pointless combat. The guy just moved around so that my zon couldn’t get to him and less than 15 seconds my amazon bit the dust. I managed to hit him with one of my 80K poison javalin but didn’t live long enough to fire a killing blow with guided missile.

If you want to own in duels but you’re too lazy to do anything to win (except run around as fast as you could away from everybody) this is your build. You’ve probably seen them in duel rooms already, they step outside of town and suddenly everybody’s dead, and they usually just stand in one corner not easily found. Or charge around into empty space like a headless chicken killing everyone in the process even without hitting anybody.

This build has been my favorite character so far because it is probably one of the best PvP builds (if not the best) and also equally good in PvM. You’ll be surprised how easily enemies go down even while not doing anything. And with just 1 point in Charge and Defiance you will have around 10K damage. The only drawback of this build is that the inability to use Enigma to teleport (especially if you love to teleport).

Please note that this auradin guide for a holy shock and holy fire auradin. There is a pure fire auradin but that build will not be covered in this guide. In my opinion, the holy shock and holy fire Auradin is better overall, although some could argue that the pure holy fire Auradin is better. I haven’t dueled one yet so I wouldn’t know the answer to that.

B. Skill Placement
The Auradin depends mainly on its equipment auras (holy fire and holy shock) with the synergies that make the auras powerful and those are the skills that this build needs to emphasize on.

Main skills:
Resist Fire (max)
Resist Lightning (max)
Conviction – depending on what other equipment you have, enough to get to level 25 (25 yields -150% to enemies resist)
Salvation (max)

Secondary Skills:
Holy Shield (enough to get to 75% block when activated.)
Charge (1 point to run around, this is a pre-req to HS so you don’t have a choice but to put at least one point on this)
Zeal (1 point so you can attack multiple opponents with ease and kill faster)
Vengeance (1 point if you want to be a mean, lean killing machine).

The rest into pre-requisites. And depending on your taste, you can customize after you’ve invested to all the main and secondary skills. I have 5 points I haven’t invested yet and I’m not really sure where to put them.

C. Equipment
The main drawback about the HF/HS Auradin is the fact that the build is totally equipment dependent. Without the proper weapon, helm, armor and shield, you cannot be an HF/HS Auradin. This makes this build one of the most expensive characters to make. We’re easily looking at 9 High Runes to make the runewords and trading for a decent resist (40+) elite paladin shield can be a pain. (You can use a regular 3 os shield but it’s not going to be the same without the resists.)

Main equipment: (These are a must. Without them you cannot be an auradin).
Weapon: Hand of Justice (Sur + Cham + Amn + Lo) Level 16 Holy Fire Aura
Armor: Dragon Armor (Sur + Lo + Sol) Level 14 Holy Fire Aura
Helm: Dream Helm (Io + Jah + Pul) Level 15 Holy Shock Aura
Shield: Dream Shield (Io + Jah + Pul) Level 15 Holy Shock Aura
On switch: +6 BO CTA and +2 any Spirit Shield

Secondary equipment: (This is my personal preference and could vary according to your taste, perhaps even change according to whom you’re dueling with.)
Ring: Primary: 2 x Ravens (pref. w/ 20 dex, you really don’t need the AR), Secondary: 2 x SOJs or 2 x BKs (I prefer SOJs) because you’ll need the mana to charge around longer.
Amulet: Primary: Highest Maras you can get (the +2 skills is invaluable and the higher your resist the quicker you can get max resists in hell), Secondary: Metalgrid (the higher than maras resists is really nice but you don’t really need the AR and Defense since you DON’T want to get hit, especially by a BOTD or GRIEF wielding paladin or barb).
Gloves: Primary: Dracul’s Grasp (you’ll need the life tap a lot since you will most likely have zero to very little life leech), Secondary: up to you
Boots: Primary: Waterwalk upped with 65 Life (the more life you have the longer you’ll survive if you’re careless enough to get hit). Secondary: Eth Treks works well too but the 65 Life of Waterwalk just can’t be beaten.
Belt: Primary: 15% DR Verdungos (this is the only item you can have with DR on it and will help immensely if you get hit by a powerful melee attack, the added life helps a lot, too), Secondary: Arachnid (the +1 to skill is nice but the 15% DR of Verdungos is more invaluable).

Charms:
- The best annihilus you can find. Resists will be more important than stats, if given a choice.
- At least 6 x Offensive Charms with either faster run walk or life
- Faster run walk charms with resists (the faster you run the less likely you’ll get hit)
- Faster hit recovery charm with resists
- Resist charms with life
- Life charms

D. Stat Placement
STR enough to use all your gear (If you already have all your items before you start your character, make sure you count exactly how much +STR you have from items so you only allocate enough STR only so that all the +STR will let you use your heaviest item. If you don’t have your items already, make a good estimate so you don’t waste too much points on STR.)

DEX enough to have max block with Holy Shield activated

VIT everything else goes here

ENE nada nothing zero zilch get it?

E. Other stuff
Becoming an auradin:
You become an “auradin†once you are able to use your weapon, armor, shield and helm, and that is level 67. You become a full-fledge auradin once you are able to use your annihilus charm (I had to wait to level 70 to be able to use all my equipment).

Leveling:
I think that this is the worst build to level. You can do little damage until you reach level 70. And that really blows. It pays off though once you become an auradin. I recommend moving into hell mode only when you get to 70 or you get your resists to a decent 60ish all.

Merc selection:
I decided to go with an Act 1 Fire Arrow Merc equipped with the following: Faith Hydra Bow, eth Fortitude with 1900 defense, eth Andy’s Visage with IAS jewel). Tonight I’m trying out the ICE runeword bow and see if it’s more effective. This merc has died less than most of the Act 2 mercs I’ve ever had.

Act 2 nightmare holy freeze (defense) is also recommended using Infinity eth cryptic axe, fortitude armor and eth Andy’s Visage.

Other recommendations:
If you feel like it you can carry a dragon shield around and become a semi pure holy fire auradin but I don’t think it’s going to be the same.

You can also give a Harmony bow to your A1 Merc to move around quicker with vigor. But the Fanaticism Aura in Faith is all around better than the Vigor aura of Harmony.

F. Dueling strategies
Not much too say here except that you should try to stay as far away as you could from anybody (your aura will kill opponents a little past your computer screen).

Best strategy: Charge around in circles avoiding any potential obstacles. It’s the lamest way to duel but it’s 99% guaranteed to win against ANY opponent.

Slight problems:
1. Frozen Orb sorc: Hard to dodge those little icicles – really annoying. So charge away from the sorc to make sure you don’t get hit.
2. Bone mancers: bone prison can get you stuck and get bombarded by bone spirit. Make sure you bash through the bone prison right away and continue charging away from the necro.
3. Godly vita barbs with BOTD/DOOM/GRIEF. One whirlwind from these guys can kill you so make sure you avoid getting into their way at all costs. Follow best strategy above.
4. Godly chargeadins/smiters: As paladins they are the only ones who can actually charge right into you and do a 1 hit kill. Make sure you charge AWAY from them.
5. An auradin with better overall equipment (e.g. 10 x offensive charms with 40 life each). Strategy: leave the game, no way you’re going to win.

G. Special Thanks
I just want to thank all my bnet friends for helping me with this build, especially to those who helped me level until I got to level 70. I also want to thank “Brother Schreier†especially for helping point out the important aspects that this build needs to utilize to attain maximum efficiency.

Your feedback, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

nice guide, but imo, holyfreeze/holy shock is better. :D Higher dmg than holy fire and ppl get slow so they can never get u.

But one thing though, how can u die to aura? If u stack resist against conviction then aura should do little dmg. Put on tgod + dwarf star and u will heal.

Bigrob said:
nice guide, but imo, holyfreeze/holy shock is better. :D Higher dmg than holy fire and ppl get slow so they can never get u.

But one thing though, how can u die to aura? If u stack resist against conviction then aura should do little dmg.

Thanks for the kind words. I was thinking about holyfreeze but what items can give you Holy Freeze except runewords DOOM and ICE. And with just one of those items you can't get A LOT of cold damage that you would from the joint combination of HOJ/Dragon & Dream/Dream. I was thinking this build could also use a DOOM axe, I don't think it's going to be a huge problem although I have to try it out first.

I've dueled paladins with 90+ resist all in hell mode and while they don't die as fast as those who do not have that kind of resists, they will die sooner or later. In hell its -100, L25 convict does -150 so that's -250 resists. I've also tested with a friend of mine using maxed resist with 1 x 20 absorb wisp, tgods, dwarf staf and rising sun ammy and the character still went down pretty fast.

Has anybody here made an actual computation of how much fire and lightning damage the auras produce? I might try to figure this out tonight.

raffster said:
I've dueled paladins with 90+ resist all in hell mode and while they don't die as fast as those who do not have that kind of resists, they will die sooner or later. In hell its -100, L25 convict does -150 so that's -250 resists. I've also tested with a friend of mine using maxed resist with 1 x 20 absorb wisp, tgods, dwarf staf and rising sun ammy and the character still went down pretty fast.

Base upon ur decription, ur friend does not stack resist taht well at all. Stacking resist means achieve higher resistance than it shows on ur screen. (75res max) Since after hell penalty, u get -100 with -150 conviction. So if u put up 275+res or more then u wont die to the aura. The actual aura dmg will not go above 10k, 4k at the most. The 10k+ dmg ur talking about is the light/fire dmg that goes to the attack. If u put up to 300 res than the aura will barely hurt, add on tgod, hotspur, dwarf star, or wisp projector then u will heal.

If u stack both fire/light resist, not just light or fire.

Bigrob said:
Base upon ur decription, ur friend does not stack resist taht well at all. Stacking resist means achieve higher resistance than it shows on ur screen. (75res max) Since after hell penalty, u get -100 with -150 conviction. So if u put up 275+res or more then u wont die to the aura. The actual aura dmg will not go above 10k, 4k at the most. The 10k+ dmg ur talking about is the light/fire dmg that goes to the attack. If u put up to 300 res than the aura will barely hurt, add on tgod, hotspur, dwarf star, or wisp projector then u will heal.

If u stack both fire/light resist, not just light or fire.

That's a good point, Bigrob. I'm going to put all those stack gear on my my hammerdin tonight and make him use GA with UM and all the items you've mentioned above. I'm so curious to see how this goes.

Can someone who is good in math do a computation for the following:
Holy Fire damage at level 30 with Level 20 Resist Fire and Level 20 Sanctuary
Holy Shock damage at level 30 with Level 20 Resist Lightning and Level 20 Sanctuary.

Thanks a lot.

go to the skill planner and it will the list the aura dmg with lvl 30 holy fire/shock, with syngery lvl 20 resist fire/light. *LINK REMOVED* YOU CAN NOT ADVERTIZE OTHER SITES ON OUR FORUMS. BANNABLE!
If u have a friend that play dream paladin or who use resist aura, tell him to activiate the light resist aura and u will see what it's like.

If it is 10k aura dmg with -150 conviction, then the aura will kill any char when it first touches, instantly.

Looks good. NJ. :thumbsup:

I'm going to sticky this Guide for now. So, members can give advice, input and comments.

HeavÃ…ngel said:
Looks good. NJ. :thumbsup:

I'm going to sticky this Guide for now. So, members can give advice, input and comments.

Thanks HeavAngel. Sheesh I thought you banned me. I was looking for my post and couldn't find it. I thought to myself...probably got banned for not posting exact damage or because I didn't ask permission from you before I posted this guide....LOL....speaking of paranoid.

Aight folks. I just did my test ultimate anti-auradin equipment. (I have two computers running D2 just in case you're wondering how I was able to do the testing). This looked funny from the perspective that my zon could own the auradin build afterall.

Character tested was: Javazon wearing:
a. COH armor
b. 1 x dwarf star, 1 x 20 absorb wisp
c. Tgods
d. Monarch shield with 4 ORTs (120 LR)
e. Lava Gout Gauntlets
f. Rising Sun Ammy
g. Hot Spur Boots
h. 4 x 15 Resist All GCs
i. anni with 18 resist
g. 8 small scs with a total of 30+ resists

Of course that was a great sacrifice on my zon's equipment part (my damage went from 75K to 40K) but wearing those she had 75+ Resist All in hell in spite the -150 Resist All from my auradin's conviction. It was funny to watch because my zon's life didn't even budge. This is the catch though, 2 hits from my auradin using Zeal and my zon was toast. Pretty weird, huh?

So there you have it folks, the "anti-thesis" of this build I just created. It looks like I just shot my auradin in the foot.

Ahh here's something to chew on though. Who would actually be wearing those equipment in a duel room unless they're out to get auradins? :lol:

raffster said:
Thanks HeavAngel. Sheesh I thought you banned me. I was looking for my post and couldn't find it. I thought to myself...probably got banned for not posting exact damage or because I didn't ask permission from you before I posted this guide....LOL....speaking of paranoid.
No need to be paranoid :lol:

If I would of banned you, then you couldn't of replied on the forum ;)

Members can post their Guides. NP with me.
It's the heat some might have to endure though.

HeavÃ…ngel said:
No need to be paranoid :lol:

If I would of banned you, then you couldn't of replied on the forum ;)

Members can post their Guides. NP with me.
It's the heat some might have to endure though.

Thanks HeavAngel,

Well I'm okay with "heat". If you notice I already shot my auradin on the foot.

told ya. :D The Auradin is crap.

Btw, i assume u know what stack resist means, since u have over 1000 post. Did u just realize it now?

Bigrob said:
told ya. :D The Auradin is crap.

Btw, i assume u know what stack resist means, since u have over 1000 post. Did u just realize it now?

But you have to remember Bigrob, not everyone has the kind of resists that will make them impervious to an auradin's aura. If that were the case then I wouldn't be making this guide. As far as all the duel rooms I've entered in the last 2 weeks, none but the most stalwart (or those who are equipped with the anti-auradin equipment I mentioned above) fall under the mighty aura of the auradin. Just 5 minutes ago before responding to your thread this sorc who had just hostiled me immediately died right after she teled out of town, and I wasn't anywhere close to town.

So yeah, if you're going to be cheezy and use the suggested anti-auradin gear, the auradin won't even scratch you. But that's considered bad manners in dueling. The question is -- will you survive a confrontation with an auradin with your build's suggested gear? It's the same as dueling a godly lightning sorc but switching to 2 x wisps, tgods and a 4 ort shield. Anybody can do that but -- does that make a lightning sorc crap as well?

:rolleyes:

I think the point to this build is that it is very rare for someone to stack both fire and lightning resist. If they do, they will be severely sacrificing any killing abilities. One is possible to stack - particularly lightning. But both lightning and fire being at that high of a resist will be almost non-existent I would believe. And I can't think of a build that could pull it off without sacrificing too much.

BTW - thanks Raffster for the reference :) I was just there for you to bounce ideas off of.

schreier

Sorry for the double post - I don't have an edit button on the last post for some reason ...

Anyways ... I also wanted to check why you were focusing on skill charms. I don't believe that they add to the level of the aura from the item nor will they help any synergies. They will raise your level of conviction but from my understanding, it is useless above 25. I guess the only way would be if you know what your final +skills and offensive will be, it will allow you to spend less skill pts on conviction - but I'm not sure where you would add them (holy shield maybe?)

schreier

I followed the torchadin guide to make my auradin and after playing with him a while I have noticed that there are a ton of poeple that do stack fire resist and absorb, thats where the maxed charge comes in handy since even with the conviction the pulses do little to no damage to these people and i have to reley on charge, its also the only way i stand a chance agianst cyclone armor. However since i only use fire I dont know if a lot of these poeple with stack fire res have also stacked others. I personally tried to stack all the resistances on my auradin not just one since i made him to deal with all kinds of sorcs, traps, javzon.

As for the skillers they are helpfull when dueling someone else with conviction since the lower lvl conv has no effect.

schreier said:
Sorry for the double post - I don't have an edit button on the last post for some reason ...

Anyways ... I also wanted to check why you were focusing on skill charms. I don't believe that they add to the level of the aura from the item nor will they help any synergies. They will raise your level of conviction but from my understanding, it is useless above 25. I guess the only way would be if you know what your final +skills and offensive will be, it will allow you to spend less skill pts on conviction - but I'm not sure where you would add them (holy shield maybe?)

schreier

Good point here, Schreier,

I'm thinking about switching offensive charms to defensive charms. Based on what I'm seeing from the skills damage calculator, it looks like having enough defensive charms to get me to L30 Resist Fire, Resist Lightning and Salvation will make me do more damage. I still have 6 points to spare so if I do that I'm just going to max out conviction.

raffster said:
Good point here, Schreier,

I'm thinking about switching offensive charms to defensive charms. Based on what I'm seeing from the skills damage calculator, it looks like having enough defensive charms to get me to L30 Resist Fire, Resist Lightning and Salvation will make me do more damage. I still have 6 points to spare so if I do that I'm just going to max out conviction.
Actually, if you're talking about boosting your synergies, that won't help either. Synergies only help when you actually spend the points into the skill. Meaning once you hit 20 on your Resist auras, you've already hit the max efficiency, and any +Skills will not help you out.

[exile] said:
Actually, if you're talking about boosting your synergies, that won't help either. Synergies only help when you actually spend the points into the skill. Meaning once you hit 20 on your Resist auras, you've already hit the max efficiency, and any +Skills will not help you out.

Thanks for the info, exile. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................... I wonder what charms I would benefit from the most? Life/mana charms? Faster run walk charms? Faster hit recovery charms?

I wonder if I get like 40 sharp small charms of vitality I could make this build into a "partial" charger as well?

Does anybody have a "charm" suggestion for me?

Since I made my auradin to detroy sorcs/trappers and really any elemental based character i use alot of res all/life charms or when dueling another pally with conviction i have a bunch of offensive skiller in my stash to make sure that my conviction is higher.

stacking resist is never bm, only overabsorb is.

so with 300 light resist + tgod wont make u immune, unless u put on wisp then it will.

the only part about this guide is that u need to focus more on strategy rather than running around and let aura do the work. Anyone with decent resist like barb or pally can tank a few hits even without stacking, so i believe u need to at least to engage in battle like using zeal or something.

and yes, offensive gc will not boost the holy shock on dream further lvl.

imo, use ar/life scs are the best.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High