OT - D2 Clones, why do they suck?

Nightfish

Aug 14, 2003
OT - D2 Clones, why do they suck?

Hey y'all, long time no see. Well, not quite true, but long time no-make-new-thread or something.

Anyway, I was just browsing my games looking for something to play and I've come to notice that all the "D2 clones" I have pretty much suck. I looked into a few after I finished my septsept, because I really needed something else to play. Well, to be precise I guess they are D1 clones or derrivates but D2 being the king of the hill in this departement right now I use that as a reference.

Obviously, posting this here a lot of people will agree with me when I say that no game that has tried to copy D2 comes close to touching it. If you've played other games like D2, I'm curious as to why did you find them lacking?

I guess I should clarify what a D2 clone is to me. They're commonly known as Hack&Slay games, but I don't really think that does them full justice because simply hacking and slaying doesn't truly cut it in D2, at least not beyond a certain point. For me, the D2 genre is the something like RPGs minus text. I do love RPGs like Planescape Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc, but I would not lump those together with D2 in the same category. I have seen people do that and it's kinda like saying Sushi and Pizza are both great examples of Japanese cooking. So yea, I guess in other terms, the kind of games I'm talking about focus on character development in the sense of what you are (as in skills, etc) items and combat over story and character developement in the sense of who you are. (personality, etc) In an RPG you can click random stuff on the char screen and usually still make it easily. In D2 you can click random stuff during story time and still make it.

Some I've played and why they sucked:

Sacred 2
I guess most of my problems with Sacred 2 apply to Sacred 1 as well, but I'll just diss the sequel for now. It's got sweet graphics, no arguing that. Why then, does it suck?

- Poor Item balance
- Few active skills / too many passive skills
- lvl cap = 200 but individual levels mostly meaningless, no real difference between 60 and 200, safe for some numbers
- poor documentation, very slow levelling compared to lvl cap but no way of reskilling. This breeds frustration like nothing else.
- Hundreds of meaningless quests

Titan Quest
I can't quite put a finger on why I didn't really end up liking this one. I guess it is the best clone I've seen, but still... It doesn't really cut it. I guess it's the fact that you don't really have classes and that so many of the skills are passive. Like, what would be frenzy in D2 is 12% chance to attack with both weapons on a regular attack. Subjective, but I am not a fan of that.

Dungeon Siege 2
It's been so long I played this one I probably forgot why I disliked it. I think I wasn't happy with the skill tree again.

Silverfall
This one has a few neat ideas, and some very bad ones. For one, controls are somewhat atrocious. It has a mix of D2 controls and MMO controls - meaning you can select something with the LMB, then press the key corresponding to your attack to cast a spell or something. But you can also press the RMB to cast what you have currently selected directly. This is somewhat awkward and half the time I am fighting controls instead of the monsters.

Another big drawback is that, in d2 terms, in order to have 20 points in nova, you need 20 points in static field. As you can imagine, this puts severe constraints on what the builds you can do.

What makes D2 better than the rest?
I've been thinking about that from time to time, but it's actually pretty hard to pin down. At least it is for me. I guess in the end it's the game's balance. Blizzard really does that extremely well. The characters are all quite different and you do have a lot of freedom with builds and then some more with picking your items. And there are a lot of items to pick from. Controls are pretty good, too.

One other thing that I truly appreciate, which is something most people would actually see as a deficit, is that the perspective is fixed. Of course that is a given for a game that old, but all the new games that allow you to rotate the camera, what does that really do for you beyond wasting time when you're trying to find an item or monster behind a rock? Or your character for that matter. I distinctly remember one game where I had to constantly fight with the camera to keep my guys in sight, not a d2 clone, though, but the same problem.

It's been ages, so someone else would have to confirm that for me, but it seems to me that blizzard doesn't expend too much effort on looks. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually like the graphics of D2 or Warcraft 3, but blizzard never seems to go over the top with it. And that's a good thing, I say. Some of the games these days sport graphics so realistic that you can't even see what's going on anymore because the contrast just isnt there between the bad guys and the terrain. Not to mention that if you spend 90% of your budget on looks you don't have a lot left to spend on other things. Looks get boring after a while.

This is also why I am not overly sceptical when it comes to D3. It doesn't seem like blizzard was going overboard on the graphics departement. Of course if something looks awesome it need not be bad, but if I think back to the games I truly liked, those were never the ones that were lauded for the appearance. Actually, in my Top 10 of all time favorites, most of the reviews might have started with "it looks kinda bad, BUT...." and so on. :D

So, what do y'all think? Have you played any others that sucked? Do you think some games actually rocked as hard as D2? If not, why do you think nobody could top what blizzard delivered... 10 years ago? I do know there are lots of people that like the games I just "dissed". Actually on the sacred 2 forums you get the **** flamed out of you if you as much as mention d2, let alone suggest that it might have the edge over sacred in some ways. Which it does, imho.

Anyway, just something I was wondering about...

Re: OT - D2 Clones, why do they suck?

Well, speaking of D2 "clones" ... I would ask Brother Laz if he does not know about something new, but diablo2-ish :whistling:

But back to the point. In fact, Im gonna go heretic and build on something everybody knows about, but is somehow taboo to talk about. I dont actually think that D2 is fun anymore. This bunch of people is fun. Maybe I am wrong, but i personally think there are much more enjoyable game concepts, than slash and slay (and wait for that damn tyraels to drop aaargh!) games.

So, all those games are crap, anyway. Whats the real difference - no other game like this has a comparable community built around itself as D2, thus leaving only the "infinite click and finally win the game yawn" concept, thus failing. Thats why others suck.

P.S. I played Dungeon Siege 1 with friends over LAN back then and it was great fun. DS1 has a really well designed MP world. Oh, and I never finished it SP. So in the end, it was about the people around, again ;)

Hellgate: London I heard this game was made by developers of diablo who got seperated from blizzard. Playing the game at first i was very satisfied as it was so much like diablo in terms of character development (the only difference is this game is FPS style), but as i progressed i saw that it has nothing like the atmosphere of diablo. Also the fact that almost every skill is an exact copy of the diablo version makes the games too unoriginal.

It was after i started this game that i thought how great and unique diablo was and restarted playing it after 1.5 years of being away.

Divine Divinity was a decent D2 clone, in my opinion.

I think what most clones do wrong is the randomization (or lack of) and therefore, replayability.
Let me explain: in D2, most maps are (semi) randomly constructed in such a way, that it really is a new map every time.
The most horrible random maps I've ever seen was in Lufia: Ruins of Lore, which is not a D2 clone, but a good example of what I mean. Dungeon map consisted of six rooms, connected through halls. By attacking wall indications, you could sometimes find a path to a treasure room. I'm not sure about this, but I think the number of treasure rooms for each floor was fixed. So yeah, exploring dungeons was extremely repetitive.

What's also a problem is that end-game equipment usually consists at least partly of quest rewarded 'uniques'. Imagine if you'd rescue Anya and she'd say "Thanks for rescuing me. Here is an Arreat's Face for you.". Or that there would be a quest like "Hey, there's this kick-*** sword that you gotta find". There's no replay value in that. Well, to be honest, I think D2 could have used some decent (in the sense of being able to complete the game) uniques as quest rewards. But really, most of the fun in D2 was finding better and better equipment for your characters.

One last huge factor I can think of is the lack of online play. There's no trading or muling, so everything you find is bound to that character.

D2 was one of those games that came out "at the right time". It was the perfect time for it's visual and gameplay style. I think beyond that, what made D2 so special was it's "overall package". Fun characters, fun skills, great environments, awesome atmosphere, great music... and so on. What kept people interested for so long is the wonderful item generation system. That and to a lesser extent, all the different character builds made possible by that item generation system.

IMO, none of the D2 clone type games measured up, because they all lacked in one or more areas that D2 had excelled in... whether that be the visuals, atmosphere, character skills, control scheme, item/loot generation... And as Nightfish mentioned, the static 3/4 top down perspective may not be technically exciting, but it WORKS.

I've played lots of the newer D2 clone type games, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest and so on. No one yet has been able to put together that perfect storm of elements in the way that Blizzard did with D2. Granted, it took some patches and an expansion to get D2 to the point where it is now.
Funny how "fun" never goes out of style. I buy and play allot of great games, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Fallout 3, the Witcher, CoD4, Bioshock and so on... but I always come back to D2 like that really good old friend who you're very comfortable around, just hanging out and having a good time.
If Blizzard released a full-priced expansion to D2, with some new quests, items, etc, I'd buy it no problem.

D2 was one of those games that came out "at the right time". It was the perfect time for it's visual and gameplay style. I think beyond that, what made D2 so special was it's "overall package". Fun characters, fun skills, great environments, awesome atmosphere, great music... and so on. What kept people interested for so long is the wonderful item generation system. That and to a lesser extent, all the different character builds made possible by that item generation system.

IMO, none of the D2 clone type games measured up, because they all lacked in one or more areas that D2 had excelled in... whether that be the visuals, atmosphere, character skills, control scheme, item/loot generation... And as Nightfish mentioned, the static 3/4 top down perspective may not be technically exciting, but it WORKS.

I've played lots of the newer D2 clone type games, Sacred, Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest and so on. No one yet has been able to put together that perfect storm of elements in the way that Blizzard did with D2. Granted, it took some patches and an expansion to get D2 to the point where it is now.
Funny how "fun" never goes out of style. I buy and play allot of great games, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, Fallout 3, the Witcher, CoD4, Bioshock and so on... but I always come back to D2 like that really good old friend who you're very comfortable around, just hanging out and having a good time.
If Blizzard released a full-priced expansion to D2, with some new quests, items, etc, I'd buy it no problem.

I agree fully with all you said...if a full expansion to D2 came out before D3 I would purchase it in a heartbeat. Sacred was the worst D2 clone I ever wasted money on.

Last edited:

This is all obviously because of a curse made by Blizzard. By sacrificing livestock to several dark gods and other assorted nasties, they've ensured no good or successful Diablo clones will ever be made.

This is all obviously because of a curse made by Blizzard. By sacrificing livestock to several dark gods and other assorted nasties, they've ensured no good or successful Diablo clones will ever be made.

I knew it! The people at Blizzard are in a cabal with the Illuminati!:yes:

I've been thinking about that from time to time, but it's actually pretty hard to pin down. At least it is for me. I guess in the end it's the game's balance. Blizzard really does that extremely well. The characters are all quite different and you do have a lot of freedom with builds and then some more with picking your items. And there are a lot of items to pick from. Controls are pretty good, too.

It's the game variety, not balance. In fact, D2 is far from balanced, at least if you compare it to SC-BW. Still, there are plenty usable skills which allow for many interesting and original builds. So yes, I believe this is the key factor.

I have only played Sacred out of the games mentioned, and I've finished Neverwinter Nights (2nd time) just a few days ago. Though NWN hardly fits D2-clone definition, it's still worth comparing.

Sacred:
pros
Decent story, nice world map (completely different concept). Entertaining quests - at least for the first time :wink: Nice graphics compared to D2 - the character actually looks like using the gear you've put on. Game engine also seems superior to D2, e.g. the attributes are not meaningless, same for armor and others. Huge plus for multiple switches.

cons
The skills seem more or less the same (even among different classes), despite having different names. This renders most of them useless (simply because of being inferior to a similar skill). Multiple skill-slots are meaningless, I'd better have more hotkeys. I dislike the entire combo idea along with its implementation. The average monster density is too high (read boring) considering the map size. It spoils the otherwise "realistic" impression of the world. The solution in low-level monsters dying on sight is a pathetic fix. Is there really no hotkey for unmounting the horse?!

the Underworld expansion
I find this arguably the worst datadisc ever. The stuff I liked on the original Sacred was ruined (logistics, monsters) without bringing ..anything. On top of completely stupid story, the ending looks like a D2 farce. Truly awful. Brrrrr.

Neverwinter Nights (shortly)
pros
brilliant (side)quests, atmosphere, commandable merc, realistic economy

cons
AD&D - turned based system looks really bad in real-time action. Not that I liked it, anyhow. The way everything is trapped, I could as well wait until all enemies die trying to live a normal life.

The way everything is trapped, I could as well wait until all enemies die trying to live a normal life.

Hahaha, this one cracked me up! I just had to recall one of my GMs

Me:"Ok, ill go upstairs"
GM:" Roll a k% dice, I need it for something.."
Me:"Hm, 0 ... aaand ... 0"
GM:"You have fatally failed to climb the stairs. Substract one hitpoint"
:D

p.s. ummm .. getting OT in OT thread .. ummm *shifty eyes*

Me:"Ok, ill go upstairs"
GM:" Roll a k% dice, I need it for something.."
Me:"Hm, 0 ... aaand ... 0"
GM:"You have fatally failed to climb the stairs. Substract one hitpoint"
:D

ROFL.... classic! :thumbup:

Gauntlet Legends proved a bit too enduring for me, just trying to find something in the game to maintain your interests for over a day was just not going to happen for me.

Gauntlet mod for half-life was pretty cool for a while but just wasn't developed enough for me.

Its interesting that any diablo clone done in 3d fails these days. I think its the quality of the graphics personally, 3d is still very lame looking.

I don't know if any of you remember this. But when I was a kid they taught me about the "fire triangle". How a fire needs fuel, air and heat to keep going. Remove any of those three, and the fire goes out. D2 has something which I like to call the "replayability triangle":

- Balance
- Randomization
- Goals

Balance
Some (hey Ugla!) would say that D2 is far from balanced. And they have a point. Some things in D2 are simply way better than others. Fireball >> firebolt, for example. And nothing beats a blizzsorc at AT runs. And a hammerdin... well, 'nuf said. But is there a single type of character that is The Best, period? I know this is a debatable topic, especially if you bring in auradins and dreamsorcs. Personally, I don't think so. And the wide variety of characters we produce in the SPF (even if you discount the oddballs for a minute) kinda speaks for itself.

Randomization
I'm sure you saw this one coming. A throne room with reviving dolls or OKs is quite a different experience for melee characters. But a caster will probably care more about the immunities that spawn than anything else. If you're done with that, it's time to break out the uniques. A strong, fast, and cursed frenzytaur gives most people considerably more pause than a regular one. And that's part of the reason why D2 manages to accommodate a wide range of players and characters, over a long period of time.

Goals
I guess that for most people, this is the part that actually makes you want to keep going. In essence, it's about never reaching perfection. There have been some really noteworthy efforts towards that, like Liquid's EvilStick, or Denton's 2:30 Baal run. But there's always a better (for some, crazier) build or rarer item just over the horizon. Reach for the stars, baby...

These are the three things that I think make a game worth playing dozens and dozens of times. Remove any of the three, and it collapses. If monsters are always too strong or too weak compared to players, randomization is just visual fluff and improvement (read: goals) would be non-existent. And along similar lines, I wouldn't be playing D2 today if it wasn't for the occasional surprise or reward the game throws at me.

I'd also like to mention a related game type that often exploits this "replayability triangle" fairly well. I'm talking about the party-based RPGs that you mostly see on consoles, like the Final Fantasy series. My favourites among those all employ random battles. They have some hard to achieve goals, like "learn dozens of enemy skills by getting hit by them" or "beat a hidden boss that's way stronger than the main villain". But most importantly, they offer dozens of ways to do all that, some of which are as obscure as they are rewarding. Wind God Gau, anyone?

And a neat bit of trivia in closing: I know of only four games with such a devoted following that people started disassembling the game's code to gain a deeper understanding of its internals. Those four are D2, and the three Final Fantasy games released for the super nintendo.

Balance
Some (hey Ugla!) would say that D2 is far from balanced. And they have a point. Some things in D2 are simply way better than others. Fireball >> firebolt, for example. And nothing beats a blizzsorc at AT runs. And a hammerdin... well, 'nuf said. But is there a single type of character that is The Best, period? I know this is a debatable topic, especially if you bring in auradins and dreamsorcs. Personally, I don't think so. And the wide variety of characters we produce in the SPF (even if you discount the oddballs for a minute) kinda speaks for itself.

One thing worth noting with D2 and balance is the item balance, which is also quite excellent. There are nearly countless viable equipment combinations for every character, build and item slot. While there are items that could be considered the "best" at what they do, usually the require a lot of work to get, creating a Goal. And even then items stats are often randomized, so Randomization is a factor too.

The way I see d2, is that it has two games in one. The first game is the gameplay aspects, monsters, characters, plot and so on. The second game is the equipment and items and getting them. From what I've seen, is that if a diablo 2 close is lacking in either one, I don't find the game enjoyable.

You bring up a good point. And it touches on something I thought of after writing my previous post.

The second point in my little triangle should probably read unpredictability instead of randomization. The latter is only one of multiple ways to achieve the former. Another way to achieve unpredictability is through sheer complexity. D2 employs this to some extent, especially when it comes to items and mechanics.

You also see this in many MMO's. They often employ static spawn points, yet they're almost never completely predictable. This is partly due to the fact that humans and computer networks (two key elements of MMO's) are inherently unpredictable. But its also due to the fact that monsters react to the complex interplay of things like movements, actions and timing. Even with a HUD that would make an Apache pilot blink, there's always the chance that Big Monster X will decide that the mage makes a better target than the fighter. And that also achieves unpredictability.

Interesting topic; wish I had seen it when it was still fresh. :doh: Darn Squid.

First, I have no problem lumping games like Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath (both of which I own for the PS2) with Diablo II. Crawl through random terrain, gain levels, increase skills, hack, slash, find better equips that may be uniques, 3 difficulty levels that are replayable with the same character. ...Sounds pretty similar, IMO. If I had the capability of using a mouse, it'd feel almost the same as sitting down with D2.

I'll have to admit that I've played very few dungeon crawlers besides D2 and the aforementioned BG and CoN. And the one game that's been on a PC was Dungeon Siege. It was so long ago that I barely remember much about it. The things I DO remember, however, stick out pretty well:

Dungeon Siege felt slow. It could have been that my laptop chugged a bit trying to deal with 3D graphics back then, but it seemed that everything moved at a slug's pace. Anything from moving from point A to point B, attacks, exploring new worlds shrouded in mist or greenery or darkness... it took a long time to get much of anything accomplished.

DS also suffered from a phenenomenon that I hate in games: combat that isn't "real". You see it in KoToR, too. An example is when you can slash away with a sword four times before any "chance to hit" registers. It's one of those things that adds to the slowness factor mentioned above. But what I dislike about it most is that it doesn't feel true-to-life.

Standard turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy might not be realistic when your weaker mage or archer is standing right next to your tank-like fighter and all you're doing is trading kicks at each others shins until one of you falls. But for a game like DS where the developers spent all that time developing a 3D world where the water effects are true to life and the foliage looks good enough to eat, the lack of instantaneous combat effects kills that sense of realism.

Moving on to D2, I agree with many posts about why it's so great, especially muzzz about replay, randomness, and goals. Really, though, there's one major aspect that keeps me coming back day after week after month after year: depth. Anyone who knows Texas Hold 'Em poker or the board game Othello might be familiar with a phrase like "It takes minutes to learn, but a lifetime to master." D2 is exactly that. On the surface it's pretty simple and just like all other hack n' slashers. However, with the complexity of classes, skills, items, runes, modifiers, gambling & crafting, and the "best" methods of doing things or obtaining items... Even if you've seen every enemy and location in the game, there's many things that are buried so deeply that there's always something new to learn, discover, or explore, even after hundreds of play-throughs.

Similar titles like Champions of Norrath might get compared to D2, but after playing dungeon crawlers like these... well, they're just too simple. Yes, some skills are similar to D2. But for all the skills included, there's really only two or three stand-out builds to make that have any sort of variety. And even though I JUST bought Baldur's Gate last week, I read somewhere that by the time you fully level your character you can have every skill at an effective (if not maximum) level. There's nothing mysterious to find like runes for complicated recipies to make your own items. Games like these can't compare to the sheer depth Diablo has.

I also think LoD is difficult to beat. It really is balanced and has kept me coming back like no other game. I love games where you start out small and have to build up in any way. For instance the Hero's quest games (quest for glory) where firm favorites of mine as where starcon2, UFO, NOLF2, freelancer etc. Anything where you could develop I found fun. D2 just took that to a whole new level. I'm looking forwards to D3 either way and have tried a few knock offs but never had them come close. Morrowind, NWN, Arcanum, DS and DS2, etc. all just never grabbed me. I could not even bring myself to finish those games. I only really play RTS and RPG games and for a long while LoD has been the RPG I come back to. Strategy games I can switch between and try different ones. Starcraft, WC3, Age of Empires, MOO2, Civ series etc are all great in their own rights but when it comes to RPG's I keep going back to LoD with only short try outs of other ones.

First, I have no problem lumping games like Baldur's Gate ... with Diablo II.

The focus is entirely different. Acutally it might be that they completely changed Baldur's Gate for the PS and it's actually not an RPG anymore, I have no idea. But for the real thing, there is only a very small overlap between RPGs and D2 in that in both games you gain XP and have some skills and whatnot, but you can play D2 just fine without being able to read. You cannot play an RPG like BG without that. In the first 10 minutes of Baldur's Gate you have to read and understand more text than D2 has in it's entirety.

In an RPG you actually make some choices. You don't do that in D2, you just kill things. The end. There is no good or evil way, no clever way to solve quests, etc. That's why they don't deserve to get lumped together in the same category. Because they're not really similar. They're similar in the way planes and cars are both good ways to travel around, but you wouldn't go and say "Hey, that new Porsche sure is one fine aircraft". Because it's not.

If games were movies, D2 would be "300" and an RPG would be the lord of the rings trilogy. Yea, I think that about sums it up.

I think the PS2 Baldur's Gate that the TheReadMenance is talking about is the Gauntlet-like hack and slash spin-off, not the original PC game. That game is certainly very D2-like.

Yea, I supposed so. Nobody who played (the real) BG (or any other RPG for that matter) would confuse it with D2. It's not even like comparing "apples to pears" as we'd say in good ol' germany (need to look up what the proper equivalent is for english speakers, likely it's nothing I should translate literally), it's more like comparing pizza to sushi. Both good in their own way, but not similar at all.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High