I am Vex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffassa

Jul 9, 2003
I am Vex

I am Vex.

This has been a very interesting period in the SPF (at least in my point of view) as it relates to relationships between people.

Here is my version of what has been happening: I have created a character with the purpose of PKing. He is a level 12 Chargadin. He can hit for over 800 damage. He has 262 life. I have PKed a number of people, ages 12- .

My first PK's I didn't say anything. I let the PK's speak for themselves. In all of my PK's I never used a maphack or a trigger or wp exploit. I used my skill and intuition as a hunter and I hunted those I PKed.

The first memorable one was a sorceress level 13. She had left town, knowing I was out there. Then she announced in public chat that she "found the wp". I went to the wp of the area I knew they were in, and the sorc was 1/2 screen away. I charged and pKed her, took her ear, and left a vex rune by the stash. No one noticed it until I rejoined with another Non-Pk character named Gabriel and asked "why is there a vex rune by the stash?" I then got the story and they sold the rune to Gheed.

My next Pk's all came at the same time. I partied, learned that they were in the Tower level 4 going to the countess. I wp to the Black Marsh, and ran - running against the clock. I got lucky and found the tower right away. Then I ran all the way down to level 5. They were just finishing off the countess. I PKed 3 of them, and dropped 2 vex runes. They were an Assassin, Barbarian, and a Necro.

This is when the forums began writing about it. Here are some Quotes:
"VEX should not be welcome in any MP games"
"Whoever you are, get a life."
"I wish 'Zod' would join my games"

Now, I'm not in the habbit of pissing people off for no reason, so I decided to modify my most offensive behavior - that of duping Vex runes. Understand, I still need a calling card. My solution was to put the vex rune into a Wirts Leg. That way, the rune is irretreviable and unsellable, and most people can keep it and not feel like they are holding onto contraband.

I go out on my 3rd PK mission. I end up in a game with the same characters as my last one - but they are levels 16, 19, and 21. Instead of killing them right away, we talk. I let them finish rushing someone thru the Andy Quest, and they agree to fight me outside of town. I end up with 2 ears - cant hit the max block sorceress (21). That one was pretty much a draw - in the long run I probably would have lost. This is my first encounter with max block, so it confused me. Sorry for any accusations I made, Sparkle, you did well.

Anyway, we all talk and have a good time. Kool is especially cool. I decide to make a series of riddles explaining my character (items, etc.) The purpose is to make it fun - perhaps for the whole SPF, but instead I get more hate posts :( and I quote:

"Don't have a sour attitude? Yea I care about as much about his 'hard work and riddles' as much as he apparently has cared about the games of the people he has stomped in on."
"i have 20 bucks on it you guys are all morons to even post in this thread... srry, but SOMEONE had to do something about it.... "
"pk-ing and duping IS and WILL be never allowed in the spf"
"I've looked through the FAQ's briefly, and I didn't see where it stated that it is "Against Forum Rules" to PK."
"I call myself Vex,
I do not like sex,"

There was also a 'threat' of finding out my IP and proceding with some sort of action from there.

Here is where I begin to be disappointed in the SPF. 75% of the posts take a very negative aproach to Vex. I own up to duping runes - that is obvious. Be angry at that - I attempted to rectify the situation with my vexed wirts leg. I am sorry for putting that sort of a temptation in your games. However - the other stuff is just plain garbage. I don't "stomp" on other people in their games. If I were Hardcore, you would have a point there. In fact, most ended up richer (after selling the Vex) than when they started. If I were in your shoes, I would have tried to get to know this Vex guy. He made it interesting, if nothing else. Besides, the people I Pked usually became friends. It's those I never saw that hate me. Strange isn't it.

Another thing, there is a prevailing attitude here of "go back to battlenet and PK". I find that argument rather absurd. SP is not some Holy resting ground, free from the evils of Battlenet. It is a community too. I have chosen for a time to commune with people by killing their characters and taking an ear. I have used up 5 minutes of their time and taken an ear. I wonder how you people drive cars - what happens when someone cuts you off? If the way you have treated Vex is any example - not so good. I mean, honestly folks, it is a game. Your character gets killed ONE TIME without your direct consent. Lets string him up and beat him.

As far as keeping SP pure - I am one PKer. I can only PK so many people at a time, be only in 1 game at a time and only for selective times during a week. I hardly "run rampant" and I alone will not bring a curse of Battlnet down upon the SP community.

Another day has passed, and a new thread in the forums. A challenger has arizen, Kool has taken up the torch and wants my ear. However, I know something he doesn't. I know his character. He is building a chargeadin ~level 14 using a "steel" flail. How do I know this? One of my other characters hosted the game in which he rushed Anti-Vex! He posted the challenge thread, and I plan on responding tonight. I belive that I will beat him, but I will give him pointers and tips - perhaps even some equipment to help him overcome Vex. I want to see him succeed!

I also staged another encounter: Vex takes the ear of my lvl 23 enchantress Layla. He leaves a calling card (wirts leg, vex, 2/9, vex) and Kool joined immediatley after Vex "left" to find the calling card by act 1 stash (the encounter was apparently in act 3). Another clue, but it removes me from suspission of actually being Vex.

Well, the gig is up - I got borred with D2 (Vex and other characters) and now seems as good a time as any to "reveal" myself. Anyway, I had fun. I hope it wasn't too bad for anyone else. I may post a "duel Vex" game sometime. Now you all have permission to flame the crap out of me. Enjoy!

Now, you may wonder my equipment. my helm and armor both have 2 min 9 max gems in them (those are duped).

Biggons Bonnet (2/9)
4 socket eth Gothic (2/9 X4)
deaths sash
sigons gloves / boots
angelic ammy / rings
lots of cold / lightning / fire/ life charms
my weapon is a 6 socket halberd with a -15 req, 20p-damage charm, a 2/9 and some other misalaneous stuff (cold damage etc.) nothing spectacular, but fun to use!
This stuff isn't very spectacular, and anyone can come up with it. In fact, I put most of it together without duping, and then I found the 2/9 jewel and figured 'what the heck' and made him a little tougher (origianlly he had rubys socketed in the armor)

To create this guy, I rushed him all the way to Isuzal quest - gave him every wp, all the necessary stuff to be a good Pker. He still has 1 unspent skill point ;)

he has level 12 might and level 1 charge (1 in smite)

My target audience is around lvl 18-24. Unfortunaly, most people don't spend too much time in those levels :( . I figure that killing multiple people in a group is challenging too - hence going for earlier levels.

Well, thats it. See you in a MP game near you!

Hmm, interesting. I still wish you'd get him up to pat and join one of the WSK run game to pk though, that would really be a test of your skill. :)

I personally don't have a problem with PK'ing in SC.

However, you crossed the line when you duped vex runes for your "calling card" and when you duped stuff for Vex's gear.

I hope this thread doesn't turn sour...

Z_O

i wish i could duel you with my bnet dueler, level 30 sorc :) she has a full stash of level 60+ ears and a muel with a ton of lower ears :D if you ever want to, i could try to make her, but her weapon has to be erm... quite specific, as well as 2 sojs needed.... and a +2 fire skills ammy with life, mana and fcr (i think thats what she had) so it will be a mighty long time before i can get her up and running

Yeah, I understand the negativity towards duping, and I tried not to polute SPF with it (the wirts leg solution), and I really didn't need it for my gear (I have plenty of +8, +7 etc jewels). I don't think this guy will be a Hell PKer - maybe level 24 (I have an eth boneslayer waiting for him) - but we will see.

thanks for not being too negative towards me - I feared the worst :(

while i understand you're wanting to do something interesting, and even made some friends out of it, the main problem is that you threatened to add pk's to games where a lot of folks here didn't want them, and they didn't play on b.net to a large part because of such things. Yes, it's a legit part of the game, but when people posted MP here, they wanted a joint game, not duel. The ones that wanted to duel posted in the duel thread. It's not against the rules to PK, but as you discovered, for a lot of people it's not at all appreciated, SC or not. The ire you detected and are so disappointed by is from those people, and I think they had a legitimate gripe from their stand point. Perhaps you should consider their side as well? I'm not anti-PK (granted, I don't play MP at this point, so I don't have much of an opinion, although I know it would make me mad if I thought it wasn't part of my game anymore), but for some of the people that left b.net for SP/MP, it re-introduces an element of the game they thought they were away from or had control over, and the threat of it had to be really, really annoying.

And considering the opinion many people have about duping, you had to realize you were going to get griped at for dropping vex's. The thing of putting them in wirt's leg was an amusing touch though.

Here's my take on the situation. Many people (myself included) play SP in order not to be griefed. Sure, killing lower-level characters does no permanent harm. But if someone came into my game, PKed me, then left, I'd be unhappy and that would make me not enjoy playing for the rest of the day, likely--i would consider it griefing.

The way you've owned up and explained it is interesting. I certainly don't agree with you, but i see your point. To me, your most offensive behavior is not the duping of Vex runes, especially since you've put them in wirt's leg, which is a neat calling card, IMO, but it's the whole PK issue that I previously explained. I also am rather surprised that you didn't expect this reaction.

Were these advertised, public games, I'd have less of an issue. Instead, though, people are hosting these games on their own computers and allowing people to join them--they get to make the rules. If they don't want you to PK on their server, they have the right to that courtesy above and beyond your wish to PK.

Would the IM strategy have worked on you, that's all I want to know...

I thought it was kind of an obnoxious b-net thing to do...and when you duped that was over the line...especially all the trouble we have with runes.

Personally, if you join a public game, and are a known Pk'er...and they don't ask you to leave...game on.

Well I never got to test my skill versus you, and later on I'll build a level 12 dueler.. just to take you on.

And a level 30 sorc geting a 60 ear... not bad. My level 97 has: 2 level 99, a level 98, 4 or 5 level 97, and a few dozen level 96 ears... all legit 1.10 ears. This wasn't to "gloat" it was just to say I see why he enjoyed the hunt, its always nice to test your skills vs each other.

You had me fooled Muffassa, I surely didnt know it was you. But im still up for the challenge, around 10 or so tonight (Eastern time) will you be able to play? I thought you might even be a pat lol :lol: well

Kool is especially cool
thanks! :thumbsup:

anyways well see how it all works out, i got a few new items to add to Anti-Vex since i reacheh Act 4 NM with jyro, hes level 57 now.

800 damage? wow! Ill try to defeat you with Anti-Vex, hes currently hitting the 350 marker Good luck! And i too hope this doesnt turn into a "I hate vex thread"

Oh and what was up with the gold riddle thing? :scratch:

Sure, I'll be happy to "duel" - but the rules are PK rules - drinking potions etc. In one PK i had to raid the ground for potions mid fight - It made it quite exciting, running away a short distance, drinking, and smacking em with a charge. I think that is a lot more fun than usual duel rules (another reason why I PKed instead of dueled).

yeah, I'll post up an ocational mp game - let you guys try to win an ear or two :)

Well of course you get hate posts, big surprise. You go out and PK people, using at least partly duped gear to do that. What sort of reaction did you expect?

I really had a good laugh when you said you were disappointed in the SPF. :lol: What did you expect the single players to do? Cheer at you for bringing them the joys of battle.net to their friendly multiplayer game? Wildjinn summed it up pretty well.

On a sidenote, I think it's a pretty sad thing that you need to ruin other people's games in order to be happy.

As for your "driving a car" analogy. No, I wouldn't flay somebody who cuts me driving a car. Most of the time it's somebody who is either new it or who is just a moron. The first one doesn't deserve my wrath and the second isn't worth it.

But this is a game, like you said. A way to spend spare time. I don't think people want to spend their spare time entertaining you by providing moving targets. They want to enjoy themselves and relieve stress. Not build up new stress by getting annoyed.

i never dueled you, though i was in one of the game you were for a short time.

i disagre with everything you did. PKed in none-dueling games and duping.

if things like this would happen again then as a host of normal questing games i would stop hosting public games and just post IP via pm/msn to friends....
though i never host but anyway....
not going to say more since i don´t wanna turn this into a flame thread.....

gold riddle - I pit down a 1, 14, 7, 5, 12
= A, N, G, E, L (angelic jewelry)

I was going to do more - I had another Bible riddle (for the sigon's), but I kinda didn't play enough.

Sure, I'll try to get in a game with you too - I think it would be fun. I usually play ~9 central (~10 eastern) so it will work out well. Just post a "Kill Vex" game, and I'll try to join tonight :)

Nightfish said:
Well of course you get hate posts, big surprise. You go out and PK people, using at least partly duped gear to do that. What sort of reaction did you expect?

I really had a good laugh when you said you were disappointed in the SPF. :lol: What did you expect the single players to do? Cheer at you for bringing them the joys of battle.net to their friendly multiplayer game? Wildjinn summed it up pretty well.

On a sidenote, I think it's a pretty sad thing that you need to ruin other people's games in order to be happy.

As for your "driving a car" analogy. No, I wouldn't flay somebody who cuts me driving a car. Most of the time it's somebody who is either new it or who is just a moron. The first one doesn't deserve my wrath and the second isn't worth it.

But this is a game, like you said. A way to spend spare time. I don't think people want to spend their spare time entertaining you by providing moving targets. They want to enjoy themselves and relieve stress. Not build up new stress by getting annoyed.

Love the Fishymancer guide - my first Pat in 1.10. Almost a walk in the park. Thanks!

i commend you Mufassa (vex).

you brought life into a dying community, reviving the luster of this community. you brought intriuge and challenge into a stagnent pool and made people think outside the norm. it was great. you thought of something new and fresh and went with it. people that is couragous. well done my friend. even the calling card of the vex was brilliant.

bravo :clap:

you did no harm, nor do i think any parties involved were offended, and if they were GET OVER IT. people wake up this game is dying, fight it as you may, things grow old and die. my favorate quote of the bible "this too shall pass" what was the harm in making the game a bit more interesting even if for a brief moment.

i say who cares if the runes were duped. if you are dumb enough to believe that they were legit and he left them on the ground for the hell of it then you deserved what you got. if an inspection was done i would be real interested in who actually is "pure" to begin with.

so i say it again thanks mufassa, though i was never invovled, i wish that i was so that i could partake in the brilliance that was vex. :winner:

haha mufassa, who would have guessed :uhuhh:
but 800 is all, my lvl 12 chargadin doesn over 1200 :D

:evil: *gets evil idea's* :evil:

Ahh, so you are Vex. This is Light-Socket, the sin. Atleast I think it was thgat char you killed...it must've, because I dont have any other chars you would of had to kill.

I agree with what you said Muf, about some things atleast. I also agree with what other people said. So, as I usually do, I will not take sides. I am going to stay neutral here :p

I didnt mind you killing me that much, as Killing the same monsters over and over can get tedious. Not like I had anything to lose. All I had to do was run out of town a few steps to my corpse. I never got a vex or would have sold one or used it if I had.

I just hope this doesnt become a flame thread. If this had been some kind of study on human behaviour, that would be a cooler reason for doing it, but oh well :p

@ boogied6:

Hm. Your entire commentary makes me somewhat angry. You're basically putting down people that didn't want to play the game in the way that "Vex" wanted to play it, and that's unfair. Sure, he sparked anger, sure, he inflamed people, but that's far from anything revitalizing.

"More interesting?" If you want to play by those rules, sure. I know you can host games and you can feel free to have PKing available in those. I, however, am not interested. Simple as that. If you can't respect that wish, then that's not my problem. It's your problem. If I were having an open party in my apartment and someone came by and was being a nuisance, I could ask that person to leave. Just because there is an open invitation doesn't invite whatever conduct an individual may bring.

And true, this is just a game. People should be able to play this game on their own time in their own manner. Respect is key in online gaming, especially if there's a community as deep as this one involved. Also, "this too shall pass" is not a reason to go ahead and do whatever you want. It is originally a sentiment to bring strength to the oppressed.

edit: i'm not suggesting we are oppressed, btw.

100% agreement with Wildjinn.
I am glad I as never in a game with "ex"
PKing in non-dualing games is just simply uncool. further claiming that it's some test of skill, to kill a PvM character with a specially designed PvP character is absurd. It's like a 12 year old with a gun cutting down a trained samurai. It requires no skill at all, just the right equipment.

I'm trying not to flame, but "Vex" was a bad idea. I don't play this game to be PKed. I play to have fun and relieve stress. Having to deal with people who can only achieve happiness by frustrating others doesn't fit either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High