Forum Assassin Discussion thread

Here's a new one for all of you to think on:

I came up with the idea of doing a 10 on 10 or 5 on 5 game of forum assassin. Catch is, it will be a forum vs. forum tournament. I talked with a few mods via PM, and posted a thread about it in the Pal Forum.

It's an idea at this point, and if it does happen, it won't be for atleast a month or more. The idea is to keep the teams small as not to disrupt the general flow of any forums that this will happen in, the OTF is a logical opponent to this, but the Classic and Amazon Forums are also interested in more info on this one, SP might be too.

The rules will be as simple as possible with one or two twists thrown in, and will of course be set in stone and posted well in advance.

Comments/thoughts?

Sounds like a plan...

But if the rules are to be set in stone, I don't think you should be allowed to play :p

somethingsin said:
Sounds like a plan...

But if the rules are to be set in stone, I don't think you should be allowed to play :p

Scared that you might get killed?

By set in stone, I mean they will be posted ahead of time and not be changed when the game actually starts.

So they will be posted ahead of time, and changed seconds before the death announcement thread goes up, right?

j/k

Interesting idea, Gorny, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by forum vs. forum. If it's Community vs. OTF, for instance, does the Community team post in the OTF while trying to assassinate on their targets' posts in Community?

And another write-up or two should be on the way soon...apologies for me and Kyubi being rather behind with it all, but I think my ability to write scenes is burning out a little; this sort of (relatively) high output on a time-sensitive basis is not something I'm used to doing at all.

RevenantsKnight said:
Interesting idea, Gorny, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by forum vs. forum. If it's Community vs. OTF, for instance, does the Community team post in the OTF while trying to assassinate on their targets' posts in Community?

And another write-up or two should be on the way soon...apologies for me and Kyubi being rather behind with it all, but I think my ability to write scenes is burning out a little; this sort of (relatively) high output on a time-sensitive basis is not something I'm used to doing at all.

The game is plaed in both forums, and the first forum team to kill all of the other forum teams members wins. You can post in either forum, and kill in either.

i think if you have any chance of getting the otf-ers to play the rules will have to be simplified...

for example....
using only "booby trap" and "poison dagger"...no " or .
only one p dagger per post and it can't be in a link(there was too much confusion with editing out characters that the forum adds)
limit play to 1 day...sudden death after.

played in both the community AND otf forum?

bragging rights? maybe someone could photoshop a trophy to be awarded to the winning team...link get's stickied in loosing forum for a month.

superdave said:
i think if you have any chance of getting the otf-ers to play the rules will have to be simplified...

for example....
using only "booby trap" and "poison dagger"...no " or .
only one p dagger per post and it can't be in a link(there was too much confusion with editing out characters that the forum adds)
limit play to 1 day...sudden death after.

played in both the community AND otf forum?

bragging rights? maybe someone could photoshop a trophy to be awarded to the winning team...link get's stickied in loosing forum for a month.

I had already thought of the limitations on daggers and traps ... it would end up being played as the original rules are, with the exception of no kills on a kill post. Though we might come up with something crafty just to make it interesting.

what characters... the only characters I've seen the forum add are the ' 's in
[ quote = 'Xenon[KoA]' ] or other names with weird symbols in them. daggers in links is plenty valid! Cos, visible when go to make post ne? I like my shinies...

But yah.. limit to 1 legit poison dagger, unlimited fake attmpts?

Xenon[KoA] said:
! Cos, visible when go to make post ne? I like my shinies...

errr, what?

The forum adds in "s when you post a link, using the insert link button

(still don't see how those could kill someone though)

oH. I see what you mean. But it wouldnt matter, b/c it could be fixed afterwards by just adding a space in btw each of them. I'm pretty sure it doesnt null spaces, before 2 in a row. It doesnt add those when you manually type out the links, which takes like.. all of 1 second =/

Hmm, everyone seems to be hiding in the safe threads this morning. (But I see you. :wave: )

Anyhow, I posted in the OTF already, but if the next round does end up being and OTF vs. Comm battle, I can help with the target assignments and death rulings. I'm ready for a short break from this game. :smiley:

Cattleya said:
Hmm, everyone seems to be hiding in the safe threads this morning. (But I see you. :wave: )

Hey, I gave you all a chance to kill me, it's not my fault gorny closed the thread 11 minutes after my post (although it was very convenient, thanks gorny!)

Here's another death scene writeup...not sure how many more I'll get out before the game's over, though.

Dredd/MadMachine

The moment he saw the shape ahead on the freeway, weaving between cars at a breakneck speed, Dredd knew that he had found his victim.

Gotcha. Leaning forward in anticipation, Dredd gunned the engine of his racing motorcycle and shot after the distant rider. You must think you're hot stuff, you little punk, he growled to himself as he cut across several lanes of the freeway without even blinking. Time to show you what skill really is.

Within a few minutes, he had drawn much closer to his quarry, close enough to make out the double M embossed on the back of the other's black leather jacket. He must have been close enough to be recognizable, too, because the figure ahead turned around, and Dredd locked eyes with MadMachine.

For a moment, MadMachine's face was nothing less than a picture of perfect surprise; both his real left eye and his cybernetic right one widened as his sight recognized the man underneath the helmet, and his mouth fell open in a round O. Then, he cranked his motorcycle to a higher gear and began dodging back and forth between lanes with reckless abandon.

Too easy. Shaking his head in mock pity, Dredd careened after MadMachine, matching the other's every move. As the two shot past a mass of cars and into the open for a moment, Dredd waved jauntily to his mark, an evil grin spreading over his face.

Angry, MadMachine looked back to hurl a curse before giving his left mechanical arm a hard shake. As Dredd watched, a small cylinder rose from his hand, quickly accompanied by other pieces that began to rearrange themselves at a blinding pace. Seconds later, MadMachine swung around his arm, now sporting a pistol attached at the wrist, and opened fire.

As the first flash of gunfire registered in his mind, Dredd drew the weapon at his hip with uncanny speed, and each of MadMachine's bullets found nothing but the hard casing of Dredd's Modstick. Seven rounds later, MadMachine glanced over his shoulder again, then suddenly changed course, turning onto an offramp.

"You're mine now!" Dredd exulted, and raised his Modstick, shouting a word in an arcane tongue. With that, the tip of the weapon began to glow a bright green, and a three-foot brick wall wove itself from thin air, blocking the offramp completely.

Had he a split second more time, MadMachine might have been able to stop before the wall, or at least cut down his speed somewhat before he hit. Dredd's timing and placement had been impeccable, though, affording him no such chance. The collision flipped MadMachine clear over the handlebars of his crumpling motorcycle; as he flew up into the air, Dredd pointed his Modstick again and shouted another command word, and a second, taller wall phased into being right in front of MadMachine.

Exactly what Dredd did to make MadMachine's impact far worse than it should have been is still a mystery to this day. The only thing that can be said for sure is that horrified observers later likened the crash to a bug hitting a windshield.

Braking to a stop at the base of the first wall, Dredd looked up at the blood-and-oil splattering and deadpanned, "Wear your helmet next time." He tapped his own helmet in illustration, then pulled his Modstick out again and waved it. After a second of glowing with a greenish light, the walls vanished and the red-streaked goo landed on the asphalt with a soft splat. Smiling grimly, Dredd threw a leg over his motorcycle, starting the engine. Y'know, that was actually a lot of fun... he thought to himself before riding down the offramp and back into the streets of the city.

Wait...'y'know?' Damn it, Xenon's starting to rub off on me...

~EDIT~

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!
Sorry, posted wrong version.... :banghead: :duh: :dunce:

:laugh:

y'Know "y'know" pwns life... Or at least "you know"

Modstickin' was cool. Can't wait for all of this to be together!

Ahhhh..... Im gonna cry....
I have so much to do this week...
Not to mention I still have to catch up to the many Death Scenes RK already posted.... Blahhh..... :cry:

KyubiNaruto said:
Ahhhh..... Im gonna cry....
I have so much to do this week...
Not to mention I still have to catch up to the many Death Scenes RK already posted.... Blahhh..... :cry:
I know I'm willing to wait for them. They really do add a lot of fun to the game.

Well, if you guys don't care what order they're in I can post the scene after IntelligentX killed Thyiad.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High