Fishymancer - Final Version (updated for 1.13)

Re: Fishymancer - Final Version (updated for 1.13)

I'd say it's better but it partly depends on the rest of your gear and preferences. I find Trang's FRW very useful... can't say the same for Vipermagi's FCR when you already have Spirit and Trang gloves.

If you manage to get a good exceptional or elite unique weap then you can use that (especially if it's eth) but the runeword options are tough to beat if you can find an elite or ethereal (preferably both) base for them. Insight's Critical Strike makes it a good weapon despite having lower ED than Obedience, though the lack of CB obviously makes it a less useful choice when it comes to killing bosses. If you can live without Insight then I'd recommend you look for a base for Obedience. Fortitude would help a lot ^^

Last edited:

You can't compare a 3 piece set to a single item. Instead, you need to make it vs everything else you could have in those 3 slots.

That said, I never aimed at giving a complete rundown of everything you could equip your character with. What I'm giving is a few examples of what works and is relatively easy to get. If you find something that works better for you, use that instead.

As for the merc weapon.

Step 1: Make it (insight) ethereal
Step 2: Might Merc (+Fortitude)
Step 3: Corpse Explosion
Step 4: Profit

(Step 0: Don't play on /players 8 in hell)

Great build, Nightfish :thumbup:

Playing it moderately twinked (this is my best gear for this build):

Spirit
Homunculous
Res gemmed Vipermagi
Tarnhelm
Goldwrap
Chance Guards
Magic find boots
Two magic find rings
Summon tree charm
Two low level res charms
Three low level magic find charms

Act 1 rogue:

Vampire Gaze
Vipermagi
Harmony blade bow

With this setup it absolutely destroys everything, and I'm not even using Decrepify on bosses (still in Nightmare, though), but instead use Amp Damage with a lot of Revives for extra damage, and Clay Golem+Cold Magi+rogue to slow them to a crawl. Makes me wonder if Spellsteel on switch is a good option for Decrepify and Teleport, so that you don't have to spend three points to get Decrepify.

Found that a shopped Teleport charges staff (from Ormus in Normal) on switch works wonders for controlling the summons, and also that getting Corpse Explosion early really speeds up killing a lot (maybe not such a good idea when playing untwinked). The rogue is also nice: Does nice damage and stays out of the way most of the time (and follows the player, so is easy to reposition).

Lets see if it stay this easy...

Last edited:

Hello Nightfish,just registered to thank you for this guide and would like to ask some questions :)

-With this build,is it possible to beat the game without boss runs and without replaying particular areas for magic find and gain experience ?
The straight start to finish playing all areas once,i mean.
I am currently at the start of nightmare,my gang of skellies absolutely destroy everything at RS 26 :)

-Are the skeletons,summons,revives resistance levels also drop to -100 when i will be at hell difficulty?

-What other builds of necromancer can beat the game with the above untwinkled style?
Is it possible to beat the game without any summoning and with damage spell casting(Not including the very beginning of act1 in normal difficulty) or only skelly mages without normal skellies or using golems only?

Thanks again for the guide.

With this build,is it possible to beat the game without boss runs and without replaying particular areas for magic find and gain experience ?
The straight start to finish playing all areas once,i mean.
Yes. This build is actually capable of doing so without gear. Everything you 'need' can be shopped and gambled from town.

Are the skeletons,summons,revives resistance levels also drop to -100 when i will be at hell difficulty?
No, they don't get the penalty, so don't spend more than one point in Lower Resist. EDIT: not Lower Resist, but Summon Resist.

Last edited:

-What other builds of necromancer can beat the game with the above untwinkled style?
Is it possible to beat the game without any summoning and with damage spell casting(Not including the very beginning of act1 in normal difficulty) or only skelly mages without normal skellies or using golems only?

If you max Corpse Explosion, any build that can get a first corpse fast enough will work. Bone and Poison Necros backed up by CE should work very well untwinked (make White + Spirit/Splendor/Rhyme runewords). They will be rather weak at the beginning of Normal difficulty though, so you can start as a Fishymancer and respec at level 40 or so. I wouldn't recommend going for Skeletal Mages only.

Thorham said:
so don't spend more than one point in Lower Resist.

You probably mean Summon Resist.

As a guy fresh in the world of hardcore and fishymancers, I want to announce my goal of beating the game untwinked, without equipment of any kind (charms are okay for me) and at p8 if I can bear the slowness in hell.

I've thought of a few concern so far, aminly being no + skills to make amp have large radius/duration, as well as corpse explosion being smaller and mana being an issue in general (only 4 pots!). I beat act 1 today, and it was relatively easy, of course. We'll see how slow act 2 gets in the tight paths when I can't really contribute to damage much anymore. TheNudist is his name!

mana being an issue in general (only 4 pots!).
Just stick some in your inventory and shift-left click them into your potion space. Fishymancers aren't very mana hungry anyway once they've got their army going.

Thanks for answers,i am at act3 nightmare now,hopefully i will beat this and then try a naked one myself ^^

On the topic of Merc weapons, I'm thinking of having some fun with aura stacking.

Namely Act 2 Might Merc + Beast Runeword + Pride Runeword.

What are others thoughts on overall killing speed using this tactic, while also having a lack of Crushing Blow? I ask because, my plan is to use an ebug AP Fortitude along with Pride, then select a Helm for Leech.

Any suggestions for Pride base and/or which Helm to use would also be appreciated. (eth Giant Thresher? , Andy's, Vamp, CoT?)

On the topic of Merc weapons, I'm thinking of having some fun with aura stacking.

Namely Act 2 Might Merc + Beast Runeword + Pride Runeword.

What are others thoughts on overall killing speed using this tactic, while also having a lack of Crushing Blow? I ask because, my plan is to use an ebug AP Fortitude along with Pride, then select a Helm for Leech.

Any suggestions for Pride base and/or which Helm to use would also be appreciated. (eth Giant Thresher? , Andy's, Vamp, CoT?)

This is a pretty noob question but when do I get decrepify? Sorry after playing D3 I felt like I missed out on D2 cause I never played it, so I decided to pick up a copy.
For curses your build suggests Amp, Dv and attract, but wouldn't I need the other prereqs to get decrepify? I'm level 16 I keep putting points into RS. I have 1 point in mastery, amp, teeth, CE, and DV. So basically when do I need to start putting points in the curse skill tree in order to get decrepify? Before fighting Duriel what level should I be?

Well, you can put the points into the prerequisites whenever you want, but aside from amp, you should try to put them off util the middle of act 2 just so that your skillies are a decent level earlier rather than later (this will help a bit with some annoying areas like the arcane sanctuary and maggot lair, thought not by much).

Are you playing on p8 and are you doing full clears? If so you should expect to be near level 28 by the end.

Got it thanks. I made a ladder character, I'm level 16 or 17 with 11 skill points in RS about to fight Act 1 boss. If p8 means players 8 then no I only set the room for 1. Yes I do full clears (little bit OCD when it comes to that lol).
One more question, do I put Imbueing off until later acts in normal?

Completely up to you. I normally leave my imbune quests for ladder, but wind up forgetting about them so never use them. With a fishy, you might as well. +rs/sm ftw anyways.

Imbue's use really depends on the player. For your purposes, it's probably best to just use it on a plain nerco shield in hopes of getting better staff-mods. Perhaps use it on a merc weapon? It just gives you a rare with an ilvl a few higher than your clvl, iirc, so it's very unlikely to be useful.
Why not try p8? Much more exp, and if it really slows down too much for you, you can set it back to p1 (for bosses, for example)

Edit: Dur, just realized ladder so no p settings.

I usually make sure I have Decrepify before the end of Act 4, prior to that a Clay Golem tends to be enough to cripple act bosses (and I really only pick up Decrep for serious bosses, I amp the rest of the time save for a once in a lifetime boss pack of ridiculous deadliness) (I try to get Summon Resists ASAP after finishing the Flayer Jungle in A3, but I've certainly had a bunch of summoners fail to get it until the very end of the act due to my idiocy or just not levelling enough).

Decrep is extremely useful - no doubt. But my main point if you already play alone and keep on playing this way; drop battle.net. P8/ATMA/GoMulr ftw.

Alright thanks guy. Just go done with act 1.
*edit after reading up on p8/Atma/Gomule/etc... I think I wanna do SP now :(. I'm guessing it is not possible to use your ladder character on SP?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High