Faster than a charging paladin! PVP Frenzy Barb

Re: Faster than a charging paladin! PVP Frenzy Barb

I agree, and if I were still on Bnet and had the gear I'd test it out. I've always loved desynch and BvC-style combat, and this gives me the best of both worlds with a li'l extra.

BvC slays Hammerdins, and this build has just about as good a chance since it employs many of the same match-winning tactics, but has better desynch on its side.

I too advocate Widow on switch and 1 pt WW if possible.

Ok. So I'm pretty convinced that this character will do well. As such I'm going to scrap my current BVC which is a low level anyways and use his equitment to test this build out/PVP with him. I was thinking he could go as this...

Skills
20- Frenzy
20-Battle orders
20- Double swing
20- Axe mastery
5- Natural resistance (FOH palidans/orb sorcs)
5- Faster R/W (desynch)
1- Zerk (PI's), WW (smiters), Battle command, Battle cry
1- Prerequisites
Rest into taunt

While this character may not be a max damage frenzy barbarian because of the lack of placing points into taunt the other skills are a must IMO. Natural resistance, faster R/W, WW and zerk are a must to play through the game in PVM and PVP. He should be done around 90 which is a must for open wounds.

Stats
Strength- low
Dexterity- low
Energy- none
Vitality- All

Equitment

Arreats (um)
Gores
Dracs
Ravenfrost
Angelic combo (ring/ammy)
Dungos
Enigma
Beastz
Ebotdz
Anni
Torch
Life scs, AR scs, and FRW charms

Sorb gear/BO weapons and widowmaker would be in stash.

I'd like to try this out as I simply like the look of having duel axes instead of duel swords (pb's IMO look silly). I need to obtain dungo's which shouldn't be a problem, get a lower strength engima and somehow trade the EBOTDz and get a Griefz. I like the fanta. aura on beastz and it helps with attack speed so I'm thinking about trying it out to see if it really is too slow.

Finally, a question. I noticed that the OP had IK belt, boots and gloves. Does it give a big boost to R/W or are there other reasons for carrying those three? I would think the CB/OW/DR from the dungo's, dracs and gores would be better for this build???

Last edited:

the belt was an unnecessary bit, no special reason for using it except it's synergy bonuses with the remaining ik pieces.

the boots were essential because it provided 40% fwr and a cheap boost to AR. If you put the gloves on with the boots, it provides a cheap way to get an additional 25% ias. You want to start out swinging at high speed instead of having to charge a frenzy off the character your going to kill, that was my rationale.

the only time i'd consider using gores was if i had hilords on...along with the grief it gives a very high chance for deadly strike.

also, charging frenzy off a monster is a sure way to get a kill but i generally dont count on that since most monsters in blood moor are gone when i enter a duel game.

the rationale for alot of fwr charms is so that you can ditch enigma and wear a fort and drive the damage up to nutty levels.

a key aspect of the build is to abuse the speed you have, you need to be able to outrun guided arrows, and desynch naturally.

i tried something recently, doomz (where's your FHR now? :D) with beastz....ooooh so effective ^^....but bm :(

when you've got a doom axe, they're gonna have a very tough time running away once you catch them. Hell now that i think about it, i should be a jerk and stick cleglaws and nosferatu for an additional 35% slow down.

*slow em down, speed yourself up, run around like crazy, hit hard and fast~ :)

about ow, it's only handy if you expect to hitem once and they're able to get away. If you're hacking away at them with them stunned to the spot, open wounds really isn't of any use.

Regardless of BM would you say Doomz/griefz would be better or duel grief PB's?

So equipment would look more like

Helm- Arreats (UM/BER/IAS jewel depending on need)
Belt- Verdungo's
Ring 1- Ravenfrost
Ring 2- Angelic's
Amulet- Angelic's
Boots- IK boots or gores
Gloves- IK gloves or Laying of hands
Armor- BP enigma
Weapons- Duel grief PB's or beastz/doomz

Anni/Torch
As many FRW sc's as possible.

I still assume that the stats would be similar to most PVPing barbarians. Keep dex/strength as low as possible and pump vitality since without a shield he'll need as much life as possible.

This build already sounds so much better then regular BVC's :)

Last edited:

i've never tested doomz+griefz, but i'm willing to bet doomz+greifz would work better than dual grief's because of the holy freeze. One severe drawback is you will not have max attack speed, ebotdz might work in place of griefz but i've yet to test this.

also, it's definitely well worth it to place stats so he can get a bered vamp gaze on, or coa if your rich ;) - this build lacks dr

on another note, it may also be worth it to get arachnids, and trang ouls gloves to get a fast fcr so you can use tele along with high speed movement. just more stuff i wanna test but lack the funds to do so ~_~

also, going the axe route saves dex (read more vit) so it has another advantage in that respect :)

cats eye amulet with dual frost ravens are also very useful for additional speed and ar~

some old clips from before my barb got stripped of most of his gear
he's wearing a fort in this one~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNiVU3fW-oI

nigma and a fwr helm here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwL4JrZ7F8

Last edited:

Ok this sounds like a good idea. I'd like to try out the doomz and see how that works. I'd say that the fanta. aura provided by beastz would be crucial if you were to use doomz because of the increased attack speed. But to that end I'm not too sure how frenzy check for speed. I read on the uber frenzy guide that it checks on hand weapon speed and any other IAS from additional equipment (gloves, boots, helm etc.). So in theory you should be able to carry a fairly slow weapon on your other hand and still hit the max swing speed I.E. carry on a doomz. I'm not sure if beastz/doomz would be faster or if griefz/doomz is faster or if they are the same.

But your basic assessment hold true to hit hard and fast. Worse comes to worse you can always stack more FRW sc's to help out and socket the Arreats with a 15% IAS. That coupled with IK boots/gloves and a fast on hand weapon should put you at max but again, I'm not sure (I hate number crunching). But this build is interesting nonetheless.

looking at the two runeword combos mentioned here, the two griefpb will do more damage than doomz/beastz, but that isnt the point.
The point is, to actually get that damage onto yr opponent, and this is where doomz and beastz could be a winner, considering yr slowing them down with holy freeze.
Doomz is got some reasonable damage, which is then boosted by fanata aura, and beasts' 40 to strength.
As for weapon speed, doomz in main hand and beastz in off hand will give maximum fpa straight off the bat:
Doomz has 5% more inbuilt IAS than Beastz.
Doomz also has higher ED% than beast, plus you want +3 freezes target to go off first swing.
Beastz's fanata will boost ias% and ar, and damage of both weapons, as will beastz +40 strength for more damage.
I'd say give it a go, as an option to 2x griefpb's.

Holy freeze has no impact on fcr, useful to keep that in mind. I know it slows down attack speed, and im not 100% sure what it does for faster hit recovery and faster block recovery.

I'm done with diablo (exam season) so i wont be touching this build for a while. For anyone who wants to continue experimenting with it, there were a few more things i wanted to try

Doomz + law bringer (any random fast sword with decent damage)
Is the chance to cast decrep great enough to warrant using it? Decrep is very powerful when stacked on top of holy freeze.

there is some r/w bow that provides vigor aura, this should multiply the run speed to ridiculous levels. I'm expecting gauranteed desynchs with it, gives the frenzy barb a ranged attack, and ofcourse you can always chase people down using vigor and switch to the melee weapons when you get close.

on a random note, has anyone else ever noticed that you can spin off a very high speed ww off the second hit of frenzy with the right timing? can't think of a practical use for this at the moment in dueling but worth exploring to see what it does for us.

Last edited:

From playing necromancers I've noticed that decrep. no matter the level has terrible range so you'd have to be pretty close to your opponent for it to be helpful. This depends on who you're dueling (obviously some people will be easier to chase then others). But its a good idea to try as is the bow with vigor.

On that note couldn't you just equip a mercenary with said bow and not need to do the weapon switch? But merc's do die very fast in duels so thats also something to keep in mind.

i have to mention that to be sure you are preforming at topend be sure ww has enugh skills so it does not have -dmg%!!!!!

when i was using dual grief pb's, i was able to slaughter most dual weilding barbs i came across with the 1pt invested into ww. Not sure how much of a boost it needs but it isn't much.

Any updates? I'm still trying to aqquire the rest of the equitment and the past few days I haven't been able to lvl much so my barb is still kinda low. Right now I have..

Doomz
Beastz
Arreats (Um)
LOH
DS enigma
2x ravenfrost
Verdungo's
Cat's eye
Anni
Torch
Life sc's
A couple F R/W scs

Really all I want to get now is about 15 more F r/w sc's and some triple resist rare boots (because you said resistances were a problem for this build), then all I gotta do is get him up to 90 or so and start dueling :)

Last edited:

i'll post some more videos over the next few days~

doomz ebotdz seem to be working great at the moment~

So my barb is pretty much done equipment wise. All I need is some triple resist rares. Im at 50 right now and my f r/w speed is already insane with little of my end gear equipment. I'm already loving this build

how are you finding the doom beast combo jordan, compared to other choices?

I'm not a high enough level to use them yet. But I just wanted to keep this thread on the first page so its easy to find and in the hopes other people would have more things to say. My barb is lvl 50 right now and I was just saying that I've already started desynching. I'm using 20 FRW scs right now and when I fully charge frenzy I start running past monsters all the time. Like he (OP) said it takes some practice to be able to steer your barb (by using shift). Also on that note I don't think there is a limit to how much FRW you can have so in theory there should be no class or character that can outrun you in duels. The only problems I see with this build is other barbs and a well built bonemancer (with decrept). Aside from that with his high life/speed/damage all other classes will have a hard time dueling even with a high FCR with teleport.

Once I get some more dueling experience with this build I'd like to start a guide with help from everyone interested and from the OP.

been busy lately so no new videos.

Try a fort in place of a nigma once you get enough fwr sc's. You might notice that you can make due with 45% less fwr in exchange for 300ed. It's what i used a while back when I was using using dual grief pb's.

fhr is very important btw, worth considering a shaeled arreat to hit that bp...86 i think?

as for writing a guide, i'll help with whatever you need ;)

i don't have the time to write a full fledged guide myself =/

Last edited:

I'm gonna make one on d2pk now just for the lulz and see how he compares to WW barbarians. Thanks for makin' this thread, gave me inspiration. :)

I think there is one more thing you should consider. Not sure about this, but last time i checked, skill_frw (increased speed) has no diminishing returns. Everything that is skill - based is better than charms and IAS items etc so wouldn't it be wise to pump Increased Speed? For example, Fanaticism maxed gives about 30 or more (don't know exactly now) IAS and it greatly increases attack speed compared to 30IAS from say two jewels.

Just trying to help .. Peace

I agree totally with this. Putting 5pts into NR will help with resistances which is a weak point of the build and putting 5pts into increased speed will also help. This way you won't need as many F r/w sc's or you can swap out enigma for fort and still hit that insane FRW speed. I already have 5pts into Increased speed and I'm only lvl 50, and using half my equipment and I'm desynching so I would def. advocate this. IMO I'd rather put those 10pts. into NR and IS then taunt. I'm willing to sacrifice some damage for versatility and survivability.

As for the FHR I think I'm just going to keep the UM I have in my arreats for resistances and trade in some lifers for some FHR sc's I have laying around. Aside from the boots I have all the stash equitment/inventory etc. that I need. All I need now is those triple resist rares and widowmaker for Hdins.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High