Eternity - Untwinked Bowazon Walkthrough

Just goes to prove when you are looking for it, it won't drop.

Pretty much. Like you and Dweb :p. Seriously though, I think I find Cleg's gloves with about half of my characters while leveling, so it is fairly surprising to have not found it while carrying all that MF early on.

Hint on Andy running: Shop a Life Tap charges wand. And use it. Mercenary with Arioc's should have plenty of damage to overcome the poison with leech.

For Mephisto just focus on getting his resist up as much as possible. GA+Kira's is great but the Unique Ring mail and random resists Circlet can almost be a good substitute. Or you can always use GA with the moat trick for offline mode :p

Loving the write-up. I have had a Single-pass Untwinked HC full-clears /p8 Bowazon planned for years. I'm not sure if I'll have the perseverance as damage on bowas is soooo low.

@srrw Thanks! Both for stopping by the thread and the Life Tap wand tip. I've seen people use those for Act bosses / Ancients before but I've never had to use one myself so it hadn't even crossed my mind. That should be a great solution if I go the Andy route (which I probably will). Keeping the merc up is even better than the valk due to the badly needed damage boost from Might, so that's an added bonus for shortening the runs somewhat too.

Untwinked bowazon at /p8 through Hell? Yikes, yeah, that would take some serious perseverence. It would be no problem through NM I'm sure, but Hell would be a real slog unless you get a real lucky drop along the way.

Yup, I figured this much out having played 3 mostly untwinked Strafers through Hell.

I think the only sensible thing to do depending on drops of course is to go towards sort of a Medusa build where I mostly apply Blind/Flee/Slow/ColdDamage/OW and keep the morons damage as high as possible and rely on him doing the bigger chuck of damage.

I know it will be a true test of patience but I love bowies so at least it won't feel like a grind.

Going single pass is going to make a Medusa build very RNG-dependent but at least there are a lot of realistic possibilities for drops that could help, especially among the normal sets/uniques, and even a Silence bow isn't entirely out of the picture with current rune drop rates going through at /p8. Sounds a little tedious chasing everything down but still fun at the same time. Good luck if/whenever you begin that project, and bonus points if you share progress with the forum!

Hell Acts 4-5

I normally do these updates toward the end of the week, but the journey is finished and I've had a couple of slower days… so here we go!

------------

Act 4

The outer areas of Act 4 were easy for Eternity – my two biggest concerns were gloams on the Plains of Despair and overwhelming numbers of lightning-spewing Damned in the City of the Damned, and while both did spawn, they did so in reasonable numbers without any particularly nasty unique packs (= no conviction), so progress was swift and safe enough with a little dancing. The biggest thing with strafe and gloams is simply to make good judgements regarding when you can and cannot stand still long enough to get off a volley. It’s also important to remember that gloam lightning pierces, so rather than line up directly behind your tanks, you need to stand off to the side by a decent angle to be safe from their blasts.

After crushing Izual and whatever else crossed our team’s path, we descended into the River of Flame, where things immediately got a little harder thanks to some unpleasant Grotesque spawns.

20190514082131601.jpg

This fellow took a while to safely whittle down; unleechable PI is pretty unpleasant when they also pack Fanaticism. Good thing I'm not a Targaryen, though.

Diablo’s forces put up significant resistance en route to the Hellforge; surely this would mean a good drop after that disappointing Shael in Nightmare, right?

20190514082300132.jpg

A balanced enemy contingent, with decent tanking up front and no shortage of ranged bombardment.

Hephasto had a unique combination of mods that synergize well; fortunately they are not particularly dangerous.

20190514082338251.jpg

Holy Freeze + Extra Fast = a severe gap in speed between the two parties. Lucky for me, staying out of range of the relatively small aura radius evened the playing field.

After that, the big moment arrived. The Hell Hellforge is always an exciting quest for me; anything Um+ is highly useful and always nice to see.

20190514082421697.jpg

So that makes Shael + Ko… Not the worst pair of Hellforges, but pretty damned close.

With that disappointment out of the way, the team trekked onward toward Diablo. The fighting was safe and straight-forward; I can see why bowies are decent in the CS. With (quite a lot) more power and the addition of Multishot, these mobs won’t pose much threat even at higher players settings. Ranged attacks are great against Doom Knights and Balrogs, as it neutralizes their ability to hit hard in melee. The biggest obstacle I see for running the CS in the future is Decrepify from OKs, but proper Valkyrie positioning can draw a lot of their attention. Before long it was time to fight big D himself, and thanks to Diablo’s tendency to shoot lightning over the Valkyrie’s head, the fight was over before long. Me using upped Riphook and my Valkyrie carrying a rare war pike ensured that Diablo would target her rather than me (the Valk's max damage was almost certainly higher than mine, which as I understand is one of Diablo's main targeting factors), which made the fight very safe.

20190514082507936.jpg

Kasim managed to land a few CB hits with Guillaume’s before he took a nap, shortening the battle considerably.

Diablo’s drop was anticlimactic, but at least it had a potentially useful unique. And Isenhart’s Case, of course.

(Splitting into two posts due to image limit)

Act 5

The Bloody Foothills did not have any Burning Dead Archers this time around, so it was far less bloody than in NM.

20190514090006628.jpg

All Thorned Hulk boss packs have the potential to quickly overrun your position once Frenzy kicks in, so they were always treated with caution and given the chokepoint treatment.

We quickly advanced up the Foothills and before long Shenk had fallen. The Frigid Highlands were timid; so timid in fact that one mob coughed up a TC3 unique for my troubles. Abaddon, on the other hand, was one of the most dangerous places in the entire game for Eternity. The reason? PI Frenzytaurs, with no efficient PI solution on hand (no, I do not consider Open Wounds efficient, even if it is 100% effective). These ‘mini-hells’ in Act 5 are rife with chokepoints and barriers, typically giving a ranged character with a strong tank a huge advantage; the fact that we still struggled so much against a pure melee monster type just goes to show how dangerous those Frenzytaurs were. A lot of the time, my merc just could not withstand their attacks for long, so although I wanted to keep him alive for the added damage he gave our team against the other mobs in the area, it was tough to position him effectively.

20190514095917918.jpg

This was an ideal setup; the Valkyrie could tank 1-2 Frenzytaurs at a time on a bridge while the merc sat the battle out and just lent his aura from the sidelines. As long as I didn’t move, situations like this were fairly stable.

Just to ensure we had at least one truly challenging area, the game threw no less than three Frenzytaur bosspacks at us in Abaddon. As you can imagine, it took quite a while (and several trips to town for arrows) to whittle them all down with Open Wounds. We encountered the first boss from a safe position, so I tried to take advantage:

20190514100001869.jpg

FECELE: With my resistances (17/-5/15), I opted to stay far away from this guy.

Unfortunately, after launching arrows for two minutes and seeing very little progress, I decided that trying to get added damage from the rest of my team would be more prudent for eliminating the threat, and we moved on with the hopes of pinning him on a bridge later. Right around the corner, we aggro’d another Frenzytaur boss, although fortunately he was a bit tamer than Mr Tri-Elementalist.

20190514100054690.jpg

This situation looks manageable. The nice thing about pierce is that the Succubi behind these Frenzytaurs were taken down no matter where they lined up.

Things quickly got worse, however, when that earlier boss and his goons wandered over and joined his buddy on the bridge, leading to our team eating heaps of elemental damage to go with those painful melee attacks.

20190514100204656.jpg

Still manageable, but just barely.

The bolts from the FECELE boss did a lot of damage, and thanks to Strafe’s auto-aim I kept hitting him and had to take damage from time to time. One bolt = one big red, two bolts = one big purple. After spending a lot of time picking that double boss pack apart, we ran across one more pack to finish off the area, and this had the hardest melee hitter of the bunch present.

20190514100250823.jpg

The Valkyrie needed quite a few recastings.

Between liberal recasting of the valk and kiting halfway back across Abaddon, we finally took down the last Frenzytaur, and breathed a sigh of relief. Had any of the bosses been cursed, I do not think we would have been able to successfully clear the dungeon. Going back to the Frigid Highlands was almost a letdown after those fights.

The subsequent areas were all straightforward; The Pit of Acheron held no nasty surprises, and spawns on the Arreat Plateau, in the Crystalline Passage, and, mercifully, in the Frozen River, were all very vanilla and posed no serious problems.

20190514100342254.jpg

Even Frozenstein was a piece of cake, as he could barely dent the Valkyrie with those weak mods.

Anya gave me a worthless pike for our troubles; I guess she wanted its value to correlate to the difficulty of rescuing her.

The Glacial Trail kicked the degree of difficulty back up a few notches, as we soon faced off with an Extra Strong Cursed Frenzytaur:

20190514100511306.jpg

Thank goodness these ‘taurs weren’t PI.

The limitations of an unsynergized Valkyrie were obvious in this fight; two double-swipes from the boss basically knocked her out. Still, it was slow enough where I could recast her while retreating, and eventually Steel Grumble fell. Bonesaw Breaker was deceptively dangerous, as his charge combined with a trio of dangerous mods could easily take someone by surprise.

20190514100551720.jpg

Extra Strong Extra Fast Cursed (plus charge) – Yeah, those attacks stung. Good thing these zombies aren’t unbearably tanky and we were able to end the fight rather quickly.

The Drifter Cavern, Frozen Tundra, and Infernal Pit were again all tame, and at one point three white elite bows dropped in quick succession: Diamond Bow, Great Bow, Ward Bow. Perfect. Time to stop and cube-socket some bows. Was this finally going to be my time to shine? Diamond Bow? 2os. Damn. Ward Bow? 2os. Damn! Great Bow?

20190514100807506.jpg

FINALLY!

This was a really exciting moment, as I had been trying (and failing) to get a 4os elite bow throughout Eternity’s entire journey. Getting it in what I considered to be the second best base (first would be Mat Bow, thanks to higher average damage but the same base weapon speed - the 20% IAS I had on my other gear allowed a 5/3/8 strafe, which was only one total frame slower than that afforded by the extra 30% IAS on Riphook) was a real nice bonus. Time to roll that Harmony!

20190514101011979.jpg

I guess good things really do come to those who wait.

272% ED out of 200-275%; that roll is fantastic. I could care less about the + to Valkyrie after seeing the damage roll. So, into the stash went Spellsteel and on went Harmony. We had our first test with the new bow immediately, encountering PI Pindleskin on our way to Nihlathak:

20190514101055188.jpg

Harmony took Pindle down much faster than Riphook ever would have.

After taking down Pindleskin in good time, we were still well-positioned to clear out Pindle’s garden without getting swamped, and Eternity gained one final level in the process. I never used Riphook again. The loss of 30% slow was not ideal but the added mobility afforded by Vigor largely offset the faster monsters. The added damage from Harmony was huge, as our Might-powered max damage (including elemental) was now well over 1500, a far cry from the ~800 we had seen previously with Riphook.

The first two levels of Nihlathak’s temple were uneventful, and I skipped the waypoint – the only waypoint I skipped throughout this entire journey – so I could possibly run Pindle in the future. The Halls of Vaught were a different story, though, with two PI mobs spawning – ghosts and witches.

20190514101213100.jpg

Not the ideal welcoming party. Had vipers also been around, we probably would've been screwed.

Slowly, we made our way to Nihlathak, and this is where Eternity suffered her first non-careless-Countess-running death in Hell. With 17 fire resistance and under 850 life, I took one step too close to a corpse and was pressing escape to continue in an instant. OHKO. Fortunately she was able to use obstacles and range to out-maneuver Nihlathak, and we didn’t get hit again. Nihlathak held some gold but nothing else.

The Ancients’ Way was easy, but the Icy Cellar was the only other truly difficult area in the game, along with Abaddon. This small dungeon spawned Frenzytaurs, Dolls, and PI witches. Yeesh.

20190514101352270.jpg

Eternity had to put her dance moves to good use to survive the Icy Cellar.

I had to pause about halfway through clearing the dungeon to go do some real life task or other, and while I was away my PC decided it was time to restart, so I had to go into the cellar once again. This time it had PI witches, gloams, and bats, so still a pretty troublesome group.

20190514101512875.jpg

No man’s land; nowhere to hide.

One gloam boss had the name that always makes my inner 12-year-old snicker, but eventually it too fell and we found Snapchip.

That was our last major battle, and this effectively wraps up the narration of Eternity’s journey.

Finds for Acts 4-5 included Steelgoad, Lenymo (see above), Right of Passage, Isenhart’s Horns, Skull Splitter, Islestrike, Stormspike, Sigon’s Guard, and Angelic Mantle. Fairly disappointing altogether, but I did manage to build a fantastic Harmony bow so I’ll count that as a win in the ‘finds’ department.

Eternity had the following items equipped at the end:

Helm: Tal’s Mask
Amulet: Rare: 6% Resist all, 10% resist lightning, +11 life, 22% MF
Weapon: 272% ED Harmony Great Bow
Switch Weapon: 219% ED Riphook Blade Bow
Armor: 'Lionheart' Mage Plate
Gloves: Bloodfist
Ring: 27% MF, +68 AR Nagelring
Belt: Goldwrap Battle Belt
Ring: Rare: +115 AR, 2% mana leech, 10% MF
Boots: Rare: 30% FRW, +9 dex, 14% fire res, 11% poison res, 23% MF

Total MF: 112%

Kasim the Might Mercenary wore:

Helm: Tal’s Mask
Weapon: +4 Skills Arioc’s Needle
Armor: 'Treachery' Great Hauberk

Charms: Various sizes totaling:
+439 AR
+19 max damage
34% resist lightning
24% resist cold
32% resist fire
11% resist poison
3-8 cold damage
10 poison damage
1-2 fire damage
+1 dexterity
+5 strength
+23 life
+12 mana
31% extra gold
5% FHR (hits an extra breakpoint with Bloodfist's 30%)

To wrap up, Eternity’s final stats and skills were as follows:

20190514102657606.jpg

Passive and Magic, Harmony Bow + Might

20190514102723752.jpg

Bow and Crossbow, Riphook + Might

Obviously, thanks to Lionheart she has far more strength than she needs, but I will be doing a lot of armor swapping before I settle into anything close to end-game gear, so I am happy with my 135 base strength (just in case a certain unique (or incredible rare) Hydra Bow comes along).

Before too long, you will be able to continue following Eternity’s journey in the Untwinked 99er thread; but first she will likely rest while I wrap up a couple of different projects, such as my “family” sept. And with that, one final time I would like to say:

20190514102816150.jpg

As always.

Thanks! I've enjoyed this process quite a bit although I put pressure on myself to stay on some sort of schedule so it will be nice to not have to 'worry' about it anymore when life gets hectic. Hopefully it was worth peoples' time to read my ramblings about things most of us already know. :p

I think everyone here enjoys reading ramblings about things we already knew... like it's why we're here or something ;)

Expertly done... great write up, and loved those timely drops, so nice of RNG, lol. Almost wish I would have started while on going, but I have a metric ton of walkthroughs I'm waiting on an ending to... makes me nervous to start new ones...

@zemaj Thanks. Yeah, walkthroughs are fun to read but it is tough waiting for them to finish, knowing how most of us have busy real adult lives these days and they just aren't realistically a high priority. That's a big part of why I tried to get out in front of the narrative with my playing so I could stay on somewhat of a schedule. I just hope people didn't mind the somewhat incomplete ending; I just can't imagine burning the free 40M XP from ancients this early in the game though.

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to share the journey.

It is like Game of Thrones books - We have to wait for the actual ending sometime....

@maxicek Thank you. I just hope Eternity's journey is more likely to have an actual ending eventually than Game of Thrones... really seems like GRRM may or may not actually finish them.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High