Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

A mate of mine lost his passport and I witnesses the application and signed the back of the passport photo saying that this is the likeness of the person - the usual bureaucratic BS. He found out a few days ago that the passport application was rejected for, get this, the supplied photo was too similar to the photo on the previous passport!! WTF!!

Oh I've had that happen to me, appearantly you have to change looks every 5 years and most of all, not smile.

A mate of mine lost his passport and I witnesses the application and signed the back of the passport photo saying that this is the likeness of the person - the usual bureaucratic BS. He found out a few days ago that the passport application was rejected for, get this, the supplied photo was too similar to the photo on the previous passport!! WTF!!
Sounds like they are trying to fleece him for more money :p

Sounds like they are trying to fleece him for more money :p

No extra money, but a lot of inconvenience. They told him that the photo was more than six months old because it was too similar to the old one. They wouldn't take his word that it was new. He shaved his beard off to get the picture so that there would be a difference and when he gets the passport he's going to grow it back.

Hello. Astronomer amateur here, but perhaps no one knows since I never told about that. I just came here to share one info with you, and some of you might find it interesting or know someone who is into such stuff.

Peak of Perseids, meteor shower, is closing in. And they are active every year, nothing new there. What is special about this year are two things. For one, Moon will be near phase of New Moon, so unless it is cloudy, it will be perfect opportunity to watch maximum of meteor shower, or peak, which falls between 12. to 13. this year. Best night to watch is a night from 12. to 13.8. which will come in a few days.

Secondly, this years activity of meteor shower is expected to be increased as presented on this link:
http://feraj.narod.ru/Radiants/Predictions/Perseids2015eng.html

Expected ZHR is near 120, and usual maximum for Perseids is up to 100. Next year expected maximum is even higher, at 130, but conditions might not be so ideal to watch as this year.

If you can and are interested, don't miss this opportunity! 20% increased activity might lead to pretty impressive show of meteors on the night sky. Problem for most people is they don't know how to watch meteors and they have too big expectations. People expect to see 10 meteors per minute, something epic like in the movies. No, in reality you can be happy if you see close to 2 meteors per minute which is pretty mad activity btw. You might not see anything for 15 minutes, and then see 10 meteors in a minute, or see some fireball that will struck you like a truck. Patience is your friend when watching meteors, and don't expect movie-like epic meteor shower.

Also, best time to watch meteors is after midnight up to dawn. Most active periods for meteors are between 2am and 4am in the morning, but this doesn't mean nice meteors won't be seen before midnight. I saw very shiny meteor few days ago that left trail behind, and it was before midnight.

There are plenty of links online about meteor shower Perseids of 2015 and some advices how what where when. I shared most important info about the event. I myself am sometimes fanatic and will go watch all night meteor shower this year, as I did before, and I am looking forward to it. Perseids are very shiny meteors and you can expect to see one or few very shiny ones if you watch at least an hour or two before midnight.

http://www.astronomy.com/observing/...fect-conditions-for-summers-top-meteor-shower

Glad it wasn't as bad as you were fearing.

In NZ now, looking forward to skiing tomorrow.
Yes, me too.

Have fun, and don't break anything!
Very stupid.
No extra money, but a lot of inconvenience. They told him that the photo was more than six months old because it was too similar to the old one. They wouldn't take his word that it was new. He shaved his beard off to get the picture so that there would be a difference and when he gets the passport he's going to grow it back.
Now when he tries to use it they'll say it doesn't look like him.
Hello. Astronomer amateur here, but perhaps no one knows since I never told about that. I just came here to share one info with you, and some of you might find it interesting or know someone who is into such stuff.

Peak of Perseids, meteor shower, is closing in. And they are active every year, nothing new there. What is special about this year are two things. For one, Moon will be near phase of New Moon, so unless it is cloudy, it will be perfect opportunity to watch maximum of meteor shower, or peak, which falls between 12. to 13. this year. Best night to watch is a night from 12. to 13.8. which will come in a few days.

Secondly, this years activity of meteor shower is expected to be increased as presented on this link:
http://feraj.narod.ru/Radiants/Predictions/Perseids2015eng.html

Expected ZHR is near 120, and usual maximum for Perseids is up to 100. Next year expected maximum is even higher, at 130, but conditions might not be so ideal to watch as this year.

If you can and are interested, don't miss this opportunity! 20% increased activity might lead to pretty impressive show of meteors on the night sky. Problem for most people is they don't know how to watch meteors and they have too big expectations. People expect to see 10 meteors per minute, something epic like in the movies. No, in reality you can be happy if you see close to 2 meteors per minute which is pretty mad activity btw. You might not see anything for 15 minutes, and then see 10 meteors in a minute, or see some fireball that will struck you like a truck. Patience is your friend when watching meteors, and don't expect movie-like epic meteor shower.

Also, best time to watch meteors is after midnight up to dawn. Most active periods for meteors are between 2am and 4am in the morning, but this doesn't mean nice meteors won't be seen before midnight. I saw very shiny meteor few days ago that left trail behind, and it was before midnight.

There are plenty of links online about meteor shower Perseids of 2015 and some advices how what where when. I shared most important info about the event. I myself am sometimes fanatic and will go watch all night meteor shower this year, as I did before, and I am looking forward to it. Perseids are very shiny meteors and you can expect to see one or few very shiny ones if you watch at least an hour or two before midnight.

http://www.astronomy.com/observing/...fect-conditions-for-summers-top-meteor-shower
Cool! I'll think about watching it, but that's awful late.

Several years ago, my then-girlfriend and I stayed up to watch the Pleiades. We waited until 1:00 AM, and went outside, only to experience the thickest fog I've ever seen. Couldn't see the end of the driveway, let alone the sky. We got in the car and drove VVVEEERRYY SLLOOOOWLLY a few miles south, to some higher ground, above the fog. Found us a park, and lay down on the grass. For the next two hours or so, we saw the most spectacular show I've ever seen. The fog actually helped tremendously, as it blocked out the city lights. If anyone hasn't experienced the glory of a heavy meteor shower in person, I recommend it highly.

I never witnessed activity of near 100 ZHR so far, my best seem to be in ~30-40 since I remember it was like one meteor in 2 minutes with periods of near 10 minutes of nothing. And that was fine for me, I'm used to patient skywatching, and few shiny meteors make it worth it for me. This time though I hope to see near 100 ZHR, that would be amazing experience in my eyes. Or even 120 as per some predictions, that would be 3-4 times more meteors than I've ever seen in my life. 2 meteors per minute would be so OP, and of those at least 10 would be memorable for brightness/color or trail. When there was 30-40 ZHR, even then there were almost 10 very nice meteors and few of those made watching worth it. So near 100 ZHR would be godly in comparison.

I have read about history of Leonids today. Those insane meteor showers in history. I can't even imagine how they looked on the sky in year 1833. 240000 meteors estimate for 9 hour period? That is estimated ZHR of 26.7k! 7 meteors per second at average. I can't even imagine that. No wonder they thought judgement day came. I wish I can see something like that and tell story about it.

Last edited:
Whatever was it again? 18th/19th optimally? I read it but forgot now. Someone reminds me when it's closer!

I'm on vacation right now in New Hampshire with my son and my BF. We saw a bear on the drive up! Some crazy New Hampshirite (or possibly Canadian - they were going too fast for me to see) decided to pass 3 cars at once on a windy mountain road. This was terrifying enough but then he almost hit a black bear that chose that moment to come out of the forest. The bear recoiled and ran back in and the guy kept whizzing along. Of course my son was nose deep in the iPad and missed the whole thing.

Crazy place here. It's perfectly legal to ride your motor cycle without a helmet and most of them DO and boy howdy are there a lot of bikers. Almost none of them wear biker gear. I don't get that. Not only are you turned into hamburger if you crash, but biker gear is COOL. It's not like cycling gear which is unbelievably dorky on everyone, regardless of age or body type. Cover yourself head to toe in leather and put on a giant helmet and you instantly look like a badass. Put on a tank top and shorts and you look like a fat old wanker with no regard for their own skin.

Anyway, the bear was fun, and I'm on vacation. [emoji16]

I took some shots for a blog post over the weekend, and discovered that I make faces...

207rtom.jpg

It was probably just Bear Grills.

Oh noes! Kitteh has a face! (and apparently more than one) Btw it looks like you're kinda scared for the camera. :p

It could be a torch, in a place where the sun doesn't shine.

That would be the cellar, which is, indeed, a very good place to use a torch.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High