ESU # 3 - July 2015

Okay. It seems to be working. On the subway, so I can't check battle.net, but I got it to start up just fine. I'll need to find out how to edit my cd-key in the game registry, but I did that years ago so I know it's possible. Looks like I should be there.

Btw, loading up D2 on the subway with no headphones is a good way to convince people that you're crazy. Though at least it shows I can afford a laptop.

So a quick update.

My good laptop (this one) has no cd-drive, and I couldn't get it to properly read the ISOs I had of the disks (which I used to install on my old laptop, haven't had actual CDs in years). Tried several different programs to get it working. Could mount the disks and install, but it freezes every time I try to load it up. Then I found a torrent of the full game and got that running, but it has a disabled CD-Key and I can't find the registry edit I used years ago. Then tracked down an old 3rd party CD-Key changing software that triggered my virus warning like crazy upon download, tried to reinstall again and am not drunk, angry and giving up.

Side note: during this entire ordeal, the laptop that I had been using to game up until this point has been attempting to start up, crashing and then auto rebooting. It keeps making this high-pitched whining noise. I think it might literally be crying.

I think I might have to officially be done with this ESU run. Not sure what else I can do. Pretty sure my work would kill me if I were to use my taxpayer funded laptop to play D2 and there's no way I can afford a new one on a teacher's salary with my loans right now.

I'll keep trying to get Old Bessie up and running, but I don't hold out much hope. Sorry guys, I suck.

I'm assuming that you don't have it registered with blizzard? Because you could download it from their site if you did.

I might have registered one o the copies over the years. Honestly never thought of that. I'll give it a shot.

I can pick up an old Dell Optiplex from work and set up a server at my place. You could then just virtual desktop the game off of that. I don't have another CD key, but I'm sure someone could let us borrow one. I've never tried gaming that way, would it work? Would it be sluggish as all hell? HA, I could ship you one of these old boxes, but they don't have an O/S. They also don't cost me anything either, so there's that.

Either way, I wouldn't be able to get it running for this week. I'm going to be in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, playing from my laptop, for the next session. And I can't rely on my wife for tech stuff.

We cruised through the Ancient Tunnels, had an epic battle with the Ancients (we dropped twice from over-spam, but it was a nice battle with lots of damage spikes). From there we decided to kick Baal's teeth in. He dropped nothing, so we licked our wounds and went on to Hell.

The den was cleansed with little fanfare and we decided to call it a night after we read post #123. While we sort things out, we should probably consider runewords and resistance options for Hell. I'm max res with about 30 points to spare in the important categories. I need to get my hands on a P Ruby for the helm. I could also use some real armor, as I'm still rocking a rare serpent-skin from late normal.

We found another Lum. What we really need now are good 2OS and 3OS armors, an Elite 4OS polearm, and I'm going to need to upgrade from this Aldur's soon. Hitting the last WW BP is good, but the weapon base damage leaves something to be desired.

Tai, let me know if you need a game key. I've got a few extra. Is the laptop overheating?

Whenever I think of Tai, I think of the last CTA I played with him and Shon and whenever either of them would key up their mic I could hear Tai furiously clicking the buttons on the laptop.

Update: I registered one of my cd-keys (I have like 4 sets kicking around) and got a full download of D2 up and running. The issue now is that I can connect to USWest or Asia, but not USEast. I think I might have triggered something when I tried to connect to B.Net with a downloaded single player only key last week.

I'll be looking into it, but what I can find online seems to be IP linked.

So what's the story? Do you need to re-route your IP? Toggle the switches? Rub the magic lamp?

Anyway, turns out my kids made me sick again. Rejoice! So I'm home this week and traveling the next (though probably will be running off a laptop that shuts down randomly). Not that it matters, but I'll be on early tonight warming up (the coffee).

Sorry dudes, I have to bail out on tonight. I've got RL stuff I need to do. Next week?

That works for me. Still figuring this stuff out anyway. I'll have to check with B.Net and see if my cd-key is just temporarily disabled.

So I still can't sign into USEast. Tried to register one of my other cd-keys so that I could try that one out, but it seems you can only register one for each game.

Any ideas?

Make a new Blizzard account, add the cd-key, download the game and go? The D2 accounts don't have any connection to the Battle.net accounts.

Alternatively, did you create the Blizzard account in another country? Have you tried updating your location?

EDIT: OK, so I'm in GMT -4, which is 4 hours ahead of the west coast. The internet connection is poor (400-600 ms), but not third-world (that feels offensive). I have a bottle of Kraken and some local, Covered Bridge sweet potato chips. It's still about 3-4 hours 'til go time (so I can't start drinking too much yet), but a roll call is probably a good idea.

I'll assume you're in limbo, Tai, leaning toward being in hell (the bad one, not the one me and Yogi will probably be in).

If we're going to push another week, it would be good to know early, so i can get to work on this sea monster.

Last edited:
Very well. I don't like the pattern we're developing, but this guarantees i don't die this week.

I'll try to get the other machine set up so that you can use it to play, Tai. I think I have a copy of XP around somewhere. Given the low resolution, we should be able to make it playable. Teamviewer would probably be choppy, any suggestions for other XP freeware? A quick google showed RealVNC would be up to the task. I'll have to go a little further and see if I can get it for XP.

Apparently my first theory was correct. It seems that my IP ban was 2 weeks (standard for trying to login with an invalid CD-Key)

I just managed to sign online (11:15 PM) and nobody's here, but I can officially play now. Yay!!

Glad to have you back, Tai.

If you want to do some catching-up, I'm still stuck far from home with a laptop and nothing to do. Leave me a message if you want to get through A5 tonight or tomorrow. 8-12 AST.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High