DC Test Series Results: Raw Data & Discoveries

dop_obo said:
It's random...howerver, the more sojs sold, the better the chance that he will spawn. The range seems to be 60-150ish.
I hope you dont mean the # of sojs you actually sell, because that is ridiculous...

Deceit said:
I hope you dont mean the # of sojs you actually sell, because that is ridiculous...

Read the first post in this thread...it's not ridiculous at all. Of course, this is for non-ladder where there is a huge amount of sojs...ladder sojs are way to valuable to even consider it.

I have about 15 extra sojs. I would like to help test if possible and would use the sojs for the testing. I want to participate in order to get annihilus charms of course and am willing to "spend" like 5 per test/charm (or am I being too stingy?). If you would rather just have my sojs I could just trade you the 15 rings I guess but, it would be more fun to be part of the testing.

Unless Blizzard changes the paramaters for Clone appearences as you speculated, Dredd, there won't be many more opportunties to obtain the charm as the soj stock is depleted.

I know how to find servers. I have Lod on two computers and am willing to try and make a game in classic so long as I can make one in Hell non-ladder too. The difficulty here is it will take me twice as long to set up my two games on the same server as those of you setting up only one game. My classic character is only in normal though but that doesn't matter for your purposes I think.

I am available Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights or all day most Mondays.

I see that it as been four months since this was first posted so maybe you all are done. If so just ignore this post. otherwise PM me if I can help.

a.) If sojs are sold very quickly, the counter will not display every sale. Thus, if sojs are sold quickly (say in groups of five every 15 seconds), the counter will skip individual sales and display a tally instead. Example: Current count is 2637. 5 sojs are sold rapidly. Instead of the counter displaying the sale for each soj (2638, 2639, 2640, ect.), it will skip directly ahead and display the total after all 5 are sold (from 2637 straight to 2642). In order to see each individual soj sale, you would have to sell them more slowly; say just 1 every 10 seconds or so.
b.) It seems that the final soj count, the one that causes Super Diablo to walk the earth, is not displayed. Apparantly, the final number is replaced with the "Diablo walks the earth" message. We were not expecting that discovery and thus were poorly prepared to deal with it. I am not 100% satisfied with this finding and will have to perform some more testing to clear it up.

I tested this myself at one point.
I did just as you said, sold too many too quickly in a row.....BUT my little brother was getting all of the sojs messages i was missing, but in his game (on the same IP)
So we both ended up getting Anni Sc's and it was well worth it.
Now i don't exactly call what i did a test, but at least maybe it could help you guys figure this out a little more.

TeKmInIbI

Dredd

Should you do more runs, I usually organise our runs for a group of 6-20 players. I have access to 5 diablo equipped pc's at home and a heap of SC NL SOJ for sale.

Can probably muster around 500 if given enough notice, at least 150 with no notice.

Cheers

Bunnz
USEast

Bunnz said:
Should you do more runs, I usually organise our runs for a group of 6-20 players. I have access to 5 diablo equipped pc's at home and a heap of SC NL SOJ for sale.

Thanks for the offer, but we don't really have any plans to do another series of tests. Our objective was simply to test whether or not sojs actually spawned DC, what difficulties he would spawn in, and whether or not soj counts were simultaneous across one IP -- in spite of whether you play HC/SC, L/NL. We succeeded in answering all those questions and more.

You also happen to play on USE, which is not my realm. However, you could always organize some tests of your own. My data could always use a bit of correlation from another party on another realm. If you ever decide to do that, let me know. I'll give you some pointers where I made mistakes and how I could have done a better job of collecting and presenting information. :)

It's just too bad that blasted World Event page was never updated to reflect the test findings. I still get PM'd now and then by some random people who say something along the lines of, "I know you claim This, but the website claims That. Website can't be wrong so You must be." :lol:

Dredd said:

It's just too bad that blasted World Event page was never updated to reflect the test findings. I still get PM'd now and then by some random people who say something along the lines of, "I know you claim This, but the website claims That. Website can't be wrong so You must be." :lol:

First off, VERY NICE RESEARCH!!! Thanks for that.

As ppl are PM-ing you just to tell that, isn't there a option to auto reply like this: Then follow the website and stop bugging me!
And of course put those ppl in the ignore list. :D

Dredd said:
..Our objective was simply to test whether or not sojs actually spawned DC, what difficulties he would spawn in, and whether or not soj counts were simultaneous across one IP -- in spite of whether you play HC/SC, L/NL.

I was sure I had read somewhere that you were going to organise tests on another realm if someone put their hand up and bought the SOJ and Characters.

Personally, I've known for a fair while now that what you are saying was true. DClone hunting, while time consuming, is the only reliable way to get anni charms for your characters!

I wouldn't mind working out why he doesn't always drop a charm tho. He mostly does, as we all know, but until I personally witnessed a "no drop" in a game, I thought people were just joking about it.

Saw it a couple of times, but they were in public games and who knows who grabbed what. When it happened in my solo game, I was pretty upset about it!

Anyone got any figures or analysis or answers?

Cheers

Bunnz

Bunnz said:
I was sure I had read somewhere that you were going to organise tests on another realm if someone put their hand up and bought the SOJ and Characters.

I think you're right and I did say that at some point. After spending some time thinking about it privately, I came to the conclusion that I should leave testing on other realms to those who play there. Frenzied Bovine is our other resident Clone expert and he does happen to play on USE. Perhaps you should PM him and ask if he'd like to do some similar tests with you. Certainly let me know as well; as I said earlier I have plenty of advice to share.

Bunnz said:
I wouldn't mind working out why he doesn't always drop a charm tho. He mostly does, as we all know, but until I personally witnessed a "no drop" in a game, I thought people were just joking about it.

Although I'd have to dig through some threads at the BNet Forum (ugh) to be certain that I'm remembering this correctly, I think the no-drop situation turned out to be a bug -- which was subsequently patched. I've personally seen him drop nothing twice, but both occured in January and he's always dropped the Annihilus since then (at least for me).

I suppose there are still certain situations where he might not cough up the goods -- for example, if you kill him on the edge of a map or while he's standing right up against another object (like the carin stones). Although it's never happened with DC, I've been in plenty of situations where a stupid boss would go fleeing over a pit or pool of lava where he would promptly die and leave no items behind. In fact it happened just last night while I was doing a Chaos Run (the Vizier is such a coward). :lol:

So I play all the time and have never seen the clone. hmm.

So if I hear in chat about a soj selling at IP .157, lets say. How do I make a hell game on that particular server and wait? How do I know I am on .157?

When are they doing to reset the ladder?

-Sash

cracked sash said:
So I play all the time and have never seen the clone. hmm.

So if I hear in chat about a soj selling at IP .157, lets say. How do I make a hell game on that particular server and wait? How do I know I am on .157?

When are they doing to reset the ladder?

-Sash

Yeah... i've been playing D2 quite a while and had never even heard of Dclone or the annihilus charm until last week. Quite a few ppl online in D2 dont even know about it either. I think that Dclone might be new. Was he added in the last patch or was he just there from the beginning?

mhl12 said:
Yeah... i've been playing D2 quite a while and had never even heard of Dclone or the annihilus charm until last week. Quite a few ppl online in D2 dont even know about it either. I think that Dclone might be new. Was he added in the last patch or was he just there from the beginning?

Uh, yes, Diablo Clone was added in the 1.10 patch.
cracked sash said:

First, kudos on getting the nick "cracked sash" :D

Secondly.. there is no guaranteed way to make a game on that ip. You simply have to make a game, check the ip of the server, and if it's not .157 (your example), save+exit and make a new one five seconds later.

As you can imagine, there is (and has been for some time) a bot to automate the process of making a passworded hell game on the right ip. All it does is make games over and over and check the ip.

Given enough time and effort, virtually any ip is gettable. The only thing preventing you might be a "full" server - the limit is something like 3000 hosted games per IP. I've been involved in some of the cooperative walks (you have to be on IRC to know what they are) and there are literally hundreds of IRC people all scrambling to get on a given IP, not to mention forums full of people. You could swear the damn thing's full when you try for two hours (and get realm down five or six times) and still not have a game when he finally walks.

If you ever see the game creation counter begin to rise, it might not just be botters - it might also be clone hunters.

I know an IRC server that coordinates at least one walk a night. So yeah, there's still many, many, many sojs out there.

One last thing I want to emphasise:

Seeing a SoJ does not guarantee he will walk in any convenient timeframe. I've idled in games with sporadic SoJ sales that have taken well over a day to hit the magic number. It can be a huge PITA and a big waste of time. Sometimes I am in a game, MF'ing, and a SoJ will be sold. So I stick around. But then nothing else happens for a long time, so I finally give up and move on.

My general rule of thumb is: if you see a SoJ sale, go do something for fifteen minutes or so. If you don't see another sale in that time, leave - it was a one-off sale. They still happen - I think some Andybots are dodgy and sell ladder SoJs occasionally by mistake, lol.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High