DC Test Series Results: Raw Data & Discoveries

I too would gladly join in to kill dclone for a better cause ;)

(That and I just stumbled on him for the first time shortly ago. A sorc and zon were getting their asses handed to them, so I smited the crap outta him; took him down to a sliver in less than a minute. Then some moron barb walks up, doesn't even try to help kill him, then nabs the anni I earned. According to him it was a 10/11 though so I guess he got what he deserved.... still, I want my own anni :rant: )

Dredd said:
Nope, but we've always been partial to Charsi. :lol:

As soon as we can scrape enough sojs together again. dop and I only have about 60 at the moment. I want to gather as many as humanly possible this time. Thanks to Fearox, I now want to flip that dang counter! I'm obcessed.

Skepsis, you're awake! Ready for some runs? :evil:

Errrr - yawwwwwnnnn, :yawn: pinch, scrath - yes awake (just) and ready for runs! I'll just get my Godly Tiara of Wakefulness +3...

btw: I have some sc soj for the next testing

skepsis said:
Errrr - yawwwwwnnnn, :yawn: pinch, scrath - yes awake (just) and ready for runs! I'll just get my Godly Tiara of Wakefulness +3...

Enjoy your afternoon tea and have some breakfast. I'm waiting for a certain somebody to start nosing through this thread.

*sharpens Cruel Colossus Blade of Troll-Smiting and waits ...*

Lord Chaos said:
Oh and before anyone really starts wacking me...I thought it was apparent in the other threads that I was rooting for Dredd on this project

:scratch: Huh?! I don't seem to recall you being anything but supportive -- why do you feel that anyone else thinks otherwise?

If sojs are the only ones to trigger the event of DC,then i don't see how in a near future,we could get the clone to spawn as sojs are VERY rare to find-i have never found a single soj after 2 years-and as sojs must be sold more than they are found on bnet;when the stock of sojs is over,and it won't take long i guess,the clone will never spawn again;the clone has been spawning less and less since the release of the new patch;i remember during the very fisrt weeks after the patch,the clone used to spawn in my games,at least a several times each week;now it's been like 2 months since i haven't read a message 'diablo walks the earth'
As a conclusion i don't see how the event could be ever triggered again when the stock of sojs is over,unless you dupe sojs or buy them from ebay,which is also a kind of cheating

Dredd said:
Huh?! I don't seem to recall you being anything but supportive -- why do you feel that anyone else thinks otherwise?

My überparanoia (or would that be paranoiaclone (PC) in Diablo terms :D )

my hammerdin (being the god that he is even without hoto) serves as mfer, rusher AND clone hunter, being quite good at all 3. Plus, not surprisingly, he kills almost any melee char with ease.

I lil trick Dredd if ya wanna mention it in your guide for hammerdin tactics. have a weapon with "prevent monster heal" on your switch and (preferably) a high resist shield. switch to this and smite the clone. BOOYAH! def ignoring prevent heal!

PublicEnemy said:
If sojs are the only ones to trigger the event of DC,then i don't see how in a near future,we could get the clone to spawn as sojs are VERY rare to find-i have never found a single soj after 2 years-and as sojs must be sold more than they are found on bnet;when the stock of sojs is over,and it won't take long i guess,the clone will never spawn again

Remember that at least part of the World Event's purpose at this time is apparantly to deplete the massive stock of duped sojs on the realms. However, it is very possible that should the time come that Blizzard is satisified that these dupes are going away, they may change the World Event perimeters so it may be triggered via other means.

I must concede that I am speculating here, though I don't think my musing here is unreasonable.

A zealot can take out the clone pretty easily as well. Just make sure to have lots of crushing blow (or Schaefers/Stormlash for static). Dracul's grasp is very useful here - you don't need one single drink as soon as mr C gets lifetap on him.

Dredd said:
Remember that at least part of the World Event's purpose at this time is apparantly to deplete the massive stock of duped sojs on the realms. However, it is very possible that should the time come that Blizzard is satisified that these dupes are going away, they may change the World Event perimeters so it may be triggered via other means.

I must concede that I am speculating here, though I don't think my musing here is unreasonable.

I dont think speculating or musing here is unreasonable either In fact I think its the basis for this whole argument=)

Want fries with that Mc Crow meal??=)

Fearox said:
Nice work Dredd!
One thing I wonder about is what determines the "start number" of sojs sold. Why do you never see "1 Stones of Jordan sold to merchants" (read: I have never seen anything lower than 15)? And how far up does the counter go? Is it reset at 9999 (I know nothing of computers, binary codes and such - but still I believe the counter starts from 1 after 9999).

I have been on a USEast server with < 400 sojs sold. He walked at almost exactly 400.

I have also seen a screenshot of "1 Stones of Jordan sold to Merchants." Though it could be faked :D

However, I cannot confirm that this is true for D2C at this time. We were unable to acquire any Classic players to test with us.

There is a post in this very forum from a D2C player who managed to kill the clone.

No charm was dropped, but it would appear that the clone does in fact spawn in Classic.

Dredd said:
Awesome question, Fearox, but very difficult to answer unfortunately. The only way this could be tested would be to sell enough sojs to actually flip/reset the counter. That would take far more sojs than I could acquire all by myself -- and not too many other potential sellers seem too eager to help with such a test.

Like you, I suspect that the counter resets at 9999 -- what number the new counter would start at is a complete mystery to me -- it may or may not be 1. I have personally never seen a counter lower than 1000 or higher than 6000 or so. I would love the chance to flip it.

The counter, as you can see by the test data, does not reset after each DC spawning -- it continues to accumulate. In theory, this means you could eventually flip it. However, servers crash and reset on their own periodically -- and accumulated soj counts probably reset along with it.

Frenzied Bovine and dop_obo know quite a bit about how D2 servers function. Perhaps they will be able to answer your question better than I can.

I will cover killing tactics/build choices/desirable mods as well as I possibly can. However, the guide, in it's current state, is already 50+ pages long and I am trying to keep it under 15-20. Any more than that and I would feel terribly guilty about wasting this site's bandwidth. I don't pay the bills here so I want to keep the guide as informative and brief as possible.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet (1 diggler) that the counter gets reset when the server is rebooted. Woulden't be that hard to test, the next time one of you or I is on a server that gets a "this server will be shutting down in 5 mins" message, you sell one soj and note the counter. Then a little later that night or the next day or whatever try to get back on that IP, and sell an soj, even if it's not number one you should still be able to tell lets say it was 2877 when you got the reboot message and the next day (or whatever) when you get back on that IP and sell another and say the counter is at 4 or 5 then you can assume that the counter was reset on reboot. Just an idea for anyone the next time they get a reboot message.

Frenzied Bovine said:
There is a post in this very forum from a D2C player who managed to kill the clone.

No charm was dropped, but it would appear that the clone does in fact spawn in Classic.

Yes, I saw the thread. I am more concerned with whether or not a D2C player has a simultaneous soj count that matches the counts in other game types on the same IP. Though I would venture to say yes, I had no D2C tester working with me that night so I could not confirm it in my testing data. For consistency sake, I could only post data that was witnessed by myself or those working with me. Integrety was important to me with these tests.

elaborate

How can I identify an IP thats potentially hosting a walk. How can I actively sign on an IP thats hosting a walk?

Dredd said:

I am curious, how many forum folks out there still have large quantities of SOJs? I don't have any SOJs myself.

Mojojava said:
How can I identify an IP thats potentially hosting a walk.

If you see a SoJ sold message in a game, you're on an IP that could potentially host a walk.

To find out what IP you're on, alt-tab out, open a command prompt and type netstat -n. Look for the line with :4000 in it. Before the colon will be an ip address. The last (ddd) number in that aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd format ip address will be the "server" you are on, for example, "63".

There are forums and irc channels out there where people record such sightings and list what servers are hot (lots of SoJ's sold rapidly), slow (a few SoJ's now and then, or dead (SoJ's were sold, but not anymore).

Mojojava said:
How can I actively sign on an IP thats hosting a walk?

You can't. Just keep creating games until you land on the IP you want by chance. There is NO other way to do it.

Mister-Hat - I still have about 30 NL sojs left that i'm saving until the next ladder season.

Mister-Hat said:
I am curious, how many forum folks out there still have large quantities of SOJs? I don't have any SOJs myself.

Completely unknown. I still see them available for trading here and there on USWest, though in smaller quantities than before. Other realms I have no clue whatsoever.

Mojojava, do a forum search for "netstat", and "IRC". These questions are very frequently asked and you will find the answers quite quickly. I've probably answered both those questions half a dozen times this week alone. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High