Blade Fury Analysis

Re: Blade Fury Analysis

i have a feeling you have never acctually pvped with a bf sin, its hard, and most the time you die, but when yer lucky you can create worlds of pain on any class

Here's my retake on this build using a high end setup as possible on bnet. This char resides on HCL East and I use it for PVM only. I cant attest to the build for pvp, but with pvm she's a incredible machine. Monsters just melt and then DS does the rest.

screenie of my shecksi lady ;
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u131/Master_Zappy/Screenshot492.jpg

She's packing 100% crushing blow (every blade !) , 93% deadly strike with a little bit of OW and Venom sprinkled in.

To solve ar issues and to up my DS damage I simly went with an infinnity (might)merc. -83% enemy defense while already having decent ar leaves me with what feels like ~90/95% chance to hit. These blades seem to always connect.

Skillset (bunch of free points)
20 Blade Fury
20 Venom
20 Death Sentry
20 Shadow Master
4 kick dtalon with items (pretty much just use on end bosses)
1 in cos, blade shield, dflight and other pre reqs
runs Fade as her aura.

Hat: Gface w/ 40%ed 15 ias jewel
Armor: Fort Boneweave
shield: Lanceguard with 40% ed jewel
Wep; Death BA
belt; Tgods
boots: Gores
gloves: Trangs (boosts venom damage)
ammy; Metalgrid (lots of ar, hunk-o-res)
ring1; ravenfrost
ring2 ; Dwarfstar
switch shield; Spirit monarch
switch wep; CTA military pick

Merc; nm offensive
Andy's hat
Treachery
Infinnity eth CA

charms; Random life/ar ones. Has a couple Skillers, torch and anni.

Very safe char with its ranged and fabulous damage. Has stacked res and sorb all elemental damages. I was surprised at how effective blade fury was when you build around it.

Thanks again for this great thread.

mmm loving this thread (minus the five pages of pointless arguing over the definition of trapper)

im playing on uswest hardcore and i'm fairly interested in trying a pvm furysin. atm im not very

restricted budgetwise when it comes to uniques or hr's and i'm interested if ceramic's theoretical build could be optimised using a runemaster axe and a build that isnt focused on solo pvm:

Firstly this was the hypothetical setup Ceramic suggested netting 10k+ bladefuries
Strength: 160
Dexterity: 90
Armor: Fortitude
Weapon: Ethereal Fury Suwayyah (+3 BF staffmod)
Shield: Monarch socketed with 4x 40%ed jewels
Helm: Guillaume's socketed with 1x 40%ed jewel
Boots: Gore Riders
Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
Ring: Bul-Kathos
Belt: Arachnid's Mesh
Inventory: Torch, Anni, 9x Trap GCs
Switch: CTA
Mercenary: Act 2 Might (lvl 87) with 'Infinity' polearm

The group of friends im playing with right now have a lot of prebuffing characters such as bo barbs and enchant sorcs so i'm suggesting these builds without consideration to a lot of important factors such as resistances, attack rating and life.
im not terribly good at number crunching so ill just make some suggestions and maybe someone could provide the expected stats/dmg output with the following setups:

cc build for solo hell baal runs:
Weapon: Ethereal Runemaster (Jah, Cham, Sur, Lo, Lo)
Helm: COA socketed with with 2x 40%ed jewels
Mercenary: Act 2 Might (lvl 87) with 'Pride' polearm

pure dps build (team baal/uber runs)

Prebuffs: High level Enchant from Enchantress for AR (Fire Dmg not Included In calculation)
Battle Command (instead of Battle Orders)
Weapon: Ethereal Runemaster (Lo, Lo, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm)
Partied Friend's Mercenary 1: Act 1 Merc with 'Faith' Bow (lvl 15)
Partied Friend's Mercenary 2: Act 2 Blessed Aim Merc with 'Doom' polearm

pure bf skill level build?

Prebuffs: Battle Command (instead of Battle Orders)
Skill Shrine
Armor: Enigma/Chains of Honor
Weapon: Eth Fury (+3 BF, +3 CM)
Offhand Weapon: Magic Claw (+3 Martial Arts +3 BF, +3CM)
Shield: Monarch socketed with 4x 40%ed jewels//Spirit Monarch?
Amulet: +3 martial arts amulet

How does the damage per hit output compare with that of a claw class weapon that gains bonuses from CM, particularly in the second scenario?

Also, from my understanding, the Phoenix shield yields higher single hit damage and is only undesirable due to the casting delay created by firestorm. Is this correct? Hypothetically in a normal (non uber) baal run, can the damage output of blade fury be pumped to the point where a single cast of blade fury instantly kills all non elite monsters and therefore justify its use?
(with for example a 4 soc monarch with ed jewels on weapon switch for bosses).

Also, just an offtopic question but ive seen posts that say that the chaos claw has a higher dps output than fury but doesnt chaos also trigger 25 frame casting delays via frozen orb just like voice of reason?

Hypothetically in a normal (non uber) baal run, can the damage output of blade fury be pumped to the point where a single cast of blade fury instantly kills all non elite monsters and therefore justify its use?
(with for example a 4 soc monarch with ed jewels on weapon switch for bosses).

i use a famine thunder maul on my sp fury sin and i get 3-4 hit kills in act 4 hell. now if i was to switch to something more logical i think it would improve immensely.

Finally tried out my 55% slow/KB/MB combo on the minions of destruction. Ha it's so hilarious. They keep flying back and can't even creep towards me now.

Anyone considered the time it takes a blade to reach target when using Phoenix,instead of saying it will cast FS on average every 2.5 hits its probably more like every 3 hits.I think its just worth thinking about.

Edit:
After playing a bit I realise it maybe even much better than that as when your spraying only so many shots hit and often you see 3-4 blades in the air before one hits.

Last edited:

I am trying this as an Hardcore on the new ladder only level 28 atm

Any thoughts on leveling up equipment choices do's amd dont's that might be obvious but not to me ... hehe

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

For example: Should I use Malice Blade Talons in the offhand to get the open wounds etc... (I have a rare decent damage Scissors with cold in the main hand)?

Dont know if Fortitude has been mentioned as a weapon option but it seems it might not be the best offensive weapon but it provideds a ton of defence.

20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when Struck
+25% Faster Cast Rate
+300% Enhanced Damage
+9 To Minimum Damage
+50 To Attack Rating
20% Deadly Strike
Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
+200% Enhanced Defense
+X To Life (Based on Character Level)*
All Resistances +25-30 (varies)
12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+1 To Light Radius

Of course if your wearing the armor then the chilling armor is irrellevent unless you went with Enigma and then the 25% cast rate would be useful as well(Ive got tele charges on circlet anyhow).

By the way it looks like Small crescent would be best weapon as it has best Damage:Req ratio LHammer has huge reqs for only a small gain in damage(after Blade damage is factored in).

Sorry to dig this back up but can we conclude from this what the "besT" Dragon Talon / Blade Fury Equipment would be? I can't rock ethereal since Talon is costing durability (it is, isn't it?)

No, it doesn't use durability. None of the kicks do.

i have a feeling you have never acctually pvped with a bf sin, its hard, and most the time you die, but when yer lucky you can create worlds of pain on any class

That almost made me LoL. BF and Pvp really don't go together unless your competition is... just plain terrible.

Talk about humiliation.

Of course, PvM wise, its a different story ;)

I'll just say it's surprising how it does. It isn't completely reliable, but great for occasional kills for fun.

To do it though, you have to be very, very specialized.

I don't count zons since the D/A/E tends to screw them over, but for every other class, they should be teleporting around. The time it takes for her to get into "throwing/spitting" position alone allows plenty of reaction time for opponents, then the delay, set rate of fire and predictability......

But for a humiliation kill, it definitely rubs it in.

Ouch - but then again... it is Tienje, not like he's unfamiliar with an assassin or anything =)

What weapon would everyone suggest for a Sin using Blade shield (-durability). Last wish PB?

Sorry for thread necromancy, but some very interesting things have been discussed here, but I diddnt find an answer for something that came immediately to my mind as a proposed (but not tested) solution for the damage/AR problem.
In general it was proposed that the sin uses a fury claw; while the might merc holds infinity.
What about a different option - the sin uses last wish (might); while the merc is using the AR aura + pride (concentraiton). I know that the merc will have a pretty low killing speed (maybe investing in a 2nd fortitude would help him a bit), but I wonder if he would survive thanks to the ridiculous life tap on last wish?
Does the AR aura offset the missing reduced defense from infinity? (I dont mention the fact that we lose the raw power of infinity on merc).

Although such a setup makes this "build" cost a lot more.

So what would be my weapon of choice? At this stage, I'd have to say Fury Suwayyah.

... huh?

Allow me to explain. Last Wish is only effective because of its Might aura, but we can get a much higher Might aura from a mercenary. Given what we now know about the BF damage equation, it would be silly not to take advantage of that. Death and Chaos are both great, but they lack ITD which is a real pain. You could get a Blessed Aim merc, but then you'd lose Might. You can equip your merc with an Infinity (I highly recommend this for bosses and champs anyway) and exploit the hell out of that -83% defense, but Conviction's radius isn't enough to cover the whole screen, so you're limited to attacking whatever group of monsters your merc decides to attack.

With Fury I'm not relying on my mercenary all the time, I don't have to worry about getting a crappy damage roll since Fury's %ed is fixed, and I can make it in a claw with a +3 Blade Fury staffmod. It's also a very appropriately named runeword.
From his weapon analysis.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High