Almost dead

Re: Almost dead

Teled into the middle of a conv soul pack with my brittle sorc (not a big sorc fan here) and got alot of life movement, nothing a full juv couldnt handle tho.

and i would like to dissagree, psn can kill you, even at 1hp.

proofe: ask any one with plague zon, they ll kill you with pure psn ( make level 9 char on hc, and see it for your self )

The poison attack itself (main damage) can kill you, yes, but the lasting effect of poison (when your hp slowly drains) cannot. I don't know about plague zons but this is what arreat summit says and what held up true for most people.

edit: ah, someone already clarified this :)

Not technically an "Almost Dead" as my red bulb never got beneath 3/4 full... but had I hesitated for even a second I would have been in deep doo-doo.

Here's the aftermath :

Welcome_To_Tower_Level_3.png

This was a stair trap on Tower Level 3 -- as you can see from the picture there were three bosses waiting for me, with at least (between 'em) :

Fanaticism
Cursed
Extra Strong
Extra Fast
Multishot (3 per shot)
Fire Enchanted
Lightening Enchanted
Spectral Hit

BTW, slightly before this, my Level 79 Wolfbarb had run into a similar pack in Lower Kurast... did you know that there's something that can (almost) one-hit a Barbarian (not really a Druid but he plays one on TV) with a 7.9K Defense Factor, (almost) 75 across the board resists and 3,800 hit points? :shocked:

Ouchh...

Mr. Bill

Here's two in two games:

1. Running Mephisto (going to lvl3 on foot, not usually a problem) with my lvl71 HC classic javazon. Behind a corner suddenly comes amp damage extra strong might doll that after one single hit it was instapurple and save'n exit.

2. After entering the cow level, it took under a second and extra fast fanaticism mob came after me. After trying to kite them with decoy and valkyrie (which failed miserably, extra fast + spectral hit apparently was involved) I kept running and in a matter of second I was quite literally surrounded by few screens worth of cows with fanaticism -> save'n exit.

The second one was not really that spectacular as I never got hit myself, but add second or two and it would've been one javazon vs around 100+ cows with fanaticism with no escape route :crazyeyes:

... The second one was not really that spectacular as I never got hit myself, but add second or two and it would've been one javazon vs around 100+ cows with fanaticism with no escape route :crazyeyes:

Well that's God gettin' you back for all those Big Macs you've been eating all your life!

:whistling:

(Glad you got away with it tho')

Mr. Bill

I am quite positive Diablo put a bounty on my head, as yesterday after entering the cow level yet again, it was matter of a second before cow king + his minions + some ranom mob were attacking me with such lovely modifiers as fanaticism, cursed, extra strong and extra fast. By the time valkyrie was made Valk-Mac in a nanosecond and decoy got the same treatment (and after seeing Cow King's mods) I decided to just let it be for the moment.

Alternatively classic is hardcoded that every 3rd time you go in cow level the portal is right next to Coral of Corruption :whistling:

Most recent was me and a friend questing in nm act3 trying to get the gidbinn quest done since we were in the same area. Two sorcs: his was lvl47 and I was 55.

As usual, clicking the bonfire spawns that rat-men boss pack somewhere off the screen. We didn't see them right away and so went searching for them. The plan was good except the bosspack of those guys sneaked along the top of the treeline (so you couldn't see them) and jumped us before we even realized what happened. I shot of my FO while he pulled out his chain lightning: the same second the following four events happened.

1) I saw a few charged bolt sparks flying in random directions - emphasis on a few meaning literally two or three or so.
2) the ratmen boss pack was annihilated.
3) my energy shield was at zero and my life at around 30/400
4) my friend "was slain by rat-man"

O.O I still have no idea what the heck happened there as I didn't get a chance to see the mods on the boss. There wasn't that redish mess signifying a fire-enchanted death and as far as I can tell there was no curse or might present either.

My best guesstimate is that the few charged bolts that I saw were the few remaining out of the dozens that me and my firend instantly ate up: meaning it was probably a MSLE mob pack. The world may never know but at least I got lucky to avoid deeds and was able to loot and return his gear.

Had another one today in hell at lvl82; I need to play more carefully before I lose my second sorc this ladder =\. Was in frozen river with endless succubi flying everywhere machine-gunning their red orb shots all over the place in endless succession.

Now I remember my sorc from last ladder that could tank endless volleys of these succubi orbs for quite some time. So I'm thinking what the heck I'll just walk up to the nearest army of succubi and shoot them all down with a few frozen orbs (succubi are really easy to take down). What I forgot was that my last sorc was also in almost full endgame gg gear while my current one is not... to say the least =U. My max block stopped the first few of what seemed like a hundred shots flying my way and then I was desperately trying to teleport away with a broken energy shield and 20% health >_>

Incident :

My Level 75 Hunter / Fire / Summoner Druid was inching cautiously through Hell Pits Level 1. Went up one of the little half-flights of stairs and heard the Cursed sound, watched my ~950 point Valkyrie (via Harmony bow) get insta-vaporized by a volley of arrows coming from some monster far off the screen :shocked:, knew that this one was going to be a challenge. (You think?)

2 out of 3 800 points Dire Wolves dropped a second later so it was obviously time to retreat. Did so and to make a long story short, after going through three (3) complete re-castings of both Valk and Dire Wolves, was finally able to corner the boss archer -- who was Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Cursed, Multishot and Immune to Lightening, into a corner.

Then, despite being surrounded by my minions, the (Rhymes With "Witch") decides to turn and fire at me -- I get hit by at least 2, maybe 3 arrows. My 880 hit points get slivered. :shocked: :shocked:

Fortunately, fat purple saved me and the next second, my dogs ate the (Rhymes With "Witch"). :cool:

Cheers

Mr. Bill

(Sidenote : Funny thing was, Pits Level 2 -- which is frequently a death trap even for a Level 85+ character -- while not a cakewalk, wasn't really that hard. Too bad they didn't drop anything for me...)

Had 2 close runs on my dedicated mf/gf barb. Both were a few days ago at least but I keep them in mind as an incentive to be more cautious :p.

1. Was in late 70s and hosting BO chaos hell runs (basically boing people and running around while leeching xp and doing pretty much nothing else :p). Didn't pay attention and came too close to Lord De Sais spawning point when someone - of course - spawned him. Took one hit from one of his minions (not even the boss) and lost about 2,500hp out of 3,000 . Thankfully they spawned next to me and not around me so I was able to run away, heal up, and start paying more attention for the rest of the run.

2. After a number of successful baal runs (where again I would just bo people and then leech xp :p) took a "1.5ish" tp into the throne room as every other run it meant that the room just wasn't clear - NOT that the TP was lethal. To cut a long story short, I ended up in the middle of a (possibly boss) pack of wound up minotaur guys that took me from 3.5k > 200hp (checked in next game :p) in about half a second. Luck was on my side though as I had my finger near the esc key before entering the portal and so managed to exit the game on time.

Was doing normal diablo with a friend (lvl 29 zerker and a lvl 26 fire/hunter druid). Basically I had to tank diablo while the druid was killing him with sweetspotted moulten boulders. Halfway through the following happened:

- Diablo 1hits my friends oak sage with his fire nova
- Then Diablo decided to Pink lightning me, which was really scary as my red ball went down 3 to 4 times as fast as before
- I legged it clockwise around him, running in front of the pink lightning with like 5 life left
- Juvs were allready up, so I drink a red, at that exact moment oak goes up again and the red fills my life ball by a third, and we're back on.

Best PvM fight I had lately. Tanking Diablo with lvl 1 concentrate shure makes the blood flow...

tele'ed level 92 necro into bloodlord fanta bosses on 2nd diablo seal... not cleaver... bashed loads of vit pots and had to esc... entered a new game with 23 life remaining.... lession learnt ^^

My first bonehead move of the new ladder...

I was running around inner cloister with my 70 zealot in early hell and forgot I'd weapon switched while back in town to compare shields, leaving me with my not-yet-diamonded shield equipped. I come across a pack of the fallen, the leader not cursed or fana, just lightning. No big deal, except my light resist was at -45. O_O

Luckily made it out alive but I'm still slappin myself!

My newly created Necromancer nearly ate it thanks to his trusty Rogue companion. Stony Field, normal... going up against good ol' LE Rakanishu. Merc kept hitting him with arrows while my fragile Necro can't handle it and tries to run away. As he's running, she keeps shooting and sending out those lighting bolts. I'm pretty sure I had about 1/8 health left (which when you only have 60-or-something health is not a lot!)

He had a full army and was on the path that has all of those stupid red teleporter portals... there is one such layout where, no matter how hard you try, you simply cannot see what monsters are at the other end of the teleporter portal pair, because the "destination" portal is so far from the "originating" portal that the "destination" one is for all intents and purposes off the screen (even at 800 x 600 resolution).

My Necro risked it, but the second he appeared at the destination he found himself surrounded by godly monsters, one of which -- some stupid Goatman type thingie -- had managed to get between him and the red portal (this happened before Mr_Hate materialized on the other side; personally I think this is a stupid Diablo bug, since it gives you no way whatsoever in which to retreat back the way you came... it's very unfair).

I recently had to Save & Exit because of a situation like this. My explosionmancer only had a rogue merc, Clay Golem and a revived wraith, and when he arrived at the portal he was in the middle of a pack of wraiths. Bone Armor went down, I tried to click on the portal, but I'm not even sure I could, as wraiths were covering part of it, and also possibly blocking movement. It may even have been my own revived wraith blocking my movement due to being in a fighting stance.

I kept drinking full rejuvs, but I so rarely use them, so I only had three, and they didn't last long. Tried to frantically put the Bone Armor back up, but it too didn't last long, and the wraiths steal mana, so constantly recasting it didn't work either. And I couldn't even see my Bone Armor behind the wraiths, which would've made it quite difficult to know when it had to be recast.

It was in single player, so I had the luxury of being able to pause the game and think in between each full rejuv, but I never came up with a good enough plan to beat them. In this particular case I suppose that throwing up a Bone Wall at the edge of the screen before stepping into the portal would've gotten the wraiths away from the portal. Might not have worked with goats, but goats don't steal mana, and I had lots of blue potions. And goats also don't stack up into a cloud of guess-how-many-we-are, which makes it easier to figure out how dangerous the situation really is.

Lvl 67 Trapsin almost bit the dust....

Decided to test my luck at a NM Baal run for MFing... got to the stairs leading down to the throne. Walked down them, and BAM! Screen froze. There was a bunch of minotaurs piled right inside the entrance.. I immediately pressed 2 to suck down some full juvs... game never recovered. I got dropped. Safe to say that drop from game saved my sin. Otherwise i'd be dead... joined new game and had 1/4 health, and none of my juvs got used. Lol.

Verizon Wireless internet shall burn in hell! >:x

Hydra/orb sorceress level 40, decided to run Meph normal, enter Durance lev 3, put some hydras down, nothing happens. I move near the hydras, then lots of evil little dolls run to me, hydra shoots, 2 explode right near me, save/exit :)

Death by manager

When my projects are caught up at work, I usually just browse around on the internet or do whatever other tedious thing I can think of to pass the time. I recently came up with the bright idea to install D2 here and do some MF runs on my downtime. I usually run it in a small windowed mode on my Mac, which is fairly inconspicuous and easy to hide. If anyone comes into the room, I quickly portal to town and send the window behind my Indesign files. It's not that it's a big deal or anything, but I would rather management not falsely get the impression that I'm neglecting my work.

Anyways, it was around lunch time yesterday and the office was empty, so I foolishly decided to run the game fullscreen. The last seal in hell chaos was popped and I was on my way to giving Diablo his beatdown. I spammed my traps and waited to dodge his fire and lightning streams. Out of nowhere, one of the managers rushed through the door heading straight for me. By the time the game reset back into windowed mode, I had no time to portal out. My heart dropped into my stomach as I watched my helpless 85 Assassin minimize to her inevitable doom. All my resources had been poured into her gear, and her pointless death would be a major blow.

He handed me a bunch of customer artwork discs that needed to checked and stood behind while I worked. I could barely pay attention to what I was doing as the vision of a deeds screen kept popping into my head like an LSD flashback. After about 5-10 minutes everything was finished, and my boss went along on his merry way oblivious to the tragic event that just transpired. I gathered my courage and popped back up the screen to say goodbye to my beloved avatar. What greeted me was a full health globe and a shiny pile of loot :) Apparently my merc/shadow kept his lightning hose busy and he neglected to roast them with his stream of fire. So weeks of my life are safe and my assassin lives to fight another day.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High