Almost dead

McCain123

Jun 4, 2004
Almost dead

Your red ball was almost empty, but you could prevent the RIP-entry and want to give other people a change to learn from your mistake. Then tell your tale here ...

My summoning necro was cruising through Hell act 5, having a good time and carelessly clicked on an evil urn, thinking his skellies would easily kill, whatever spawned. Well the mob of the urn spawned exactly on top of my necro, so he was trapped in a circle of monsters and his skellies formed an outer circle arround the circle of monsters that collapsed after 8 big purples and a fast moving health during the time it took.

My sorc was doing nm-Baals and between the waves I cleared my inventory. The 4th wave spawned, I had pressed 'i' to close the inventory and faced an extra fast wave 4. My merc was trolling arround in the throne, so wave 4 surrounded me. No big deal, a teleport to reposition and ... wtf teleport didn´t work. My health melted away really fast and I had drunken the first two purples, when I realized what the problem was. I was still holding a skull from the inventory, which prevented my right mouse button from doing anything useful. After leftclicking it off, I could go on as usual.

Re: Almost dead

Very hairy man! I've done the urn thing before as well, no wonder they are called evil!

To throw one out, as i'm sure people have done this one a few times, hitting 'enter' to bring up text to reply to someone's chat and then trying to use hotkeys for something and typing gibberish instead of the desired function, usually a 1111111 as you want a pot and your merc brought in some mob just offscreen and you paused to type in a seemingly safe enviroment!

There was a funny post about playing HC drunk and let your last words be '1122334412341'.

Waiting out lag spikes can be a bad idea aswell. I was on my way to mephi with my sorc, when I lagged. I waited arround 10 seconds, then the game started to catch up, with dolls exploding, big heary beasts hitting me and all the funny stuff. 12 ( !!! ) big purples later I was still alive, and I won´t do it anymore ... I think :crazyeyes:

My sorc almost died yesterday.

Opened a door in tal rasha's tomb and..

SWOOSH!!11!!
I have apparitions biting me everywhere :dizzy:, and my life goes to just a few %. Extra fast fanaticism aura enchanted bosspack :surprise:

I believe it was the FHR of my spirit that got me out of that one.

Conclusion:
Use telekinesis to open doors, or if you don't have the skill, don't stand in doorways if you don't know what's in the room you're about to enter... Depending on what monster types are in the area of course. Watch out for fast moving stuff!

Nearly lost my 74 Necro last night in a solo NM Baal

CE'd a doll pack while standing just that little bit too close, had about 1mm of red orb left after that. If I hadn't put a few points into Bone Armour, it would have been deeds.

Conclusion:
I hate dolls... they took my last necro and nearly got this one. Oh, and Gloams suck as well :)

CE'd a doll pack while standing just that little bit too close, had about 1mm of red orb left after that. If I hadn't put a few points into Bone Armour, it would have been deeds.

Just to mention, when you are around Dolls, consider using Decrp over Amp. The -enemy damage applies to their death explosion, so it effectively cuts it in half. So a ~500 death blow (1,000 if it rolls that 5% critical) is cut down to ~250.

As for me, one I can remember.... I believe it was recently with my Hdin, fighting a pack thinking "Well, they can hurt, but not much unless alot of them come at once, its only NM" follow by "holy crap my life bulb!" *juvies*

Or, Hephisto, who was a lovely Fana, ES, Amp'er. Was cleaning River with my Rift-A-Sin for a forge, I knew hit would hit hard, but I thought 30% DR, Block, and BO/Shout would serve me well. Well, it kinda did, as for if I didn't have BO, his seemingly ~1,500 damage hit would wiped my ~1,300 base life, yeah.....

Seems like I have those 5% extra luck needed to survive situations, where I did stupid things.

Started a Mephi-series, got BO and teled through Durance level 2 when I got a real hard hit ( 50% health lost ). No biggie, drank a juv and made my way to Mephi, who killed my merc in like 3 hits. Now my instinct told my to evade all further attacks and go to town as fast as possible to find out, what was wrong. I did and saw I was not boed, because my toons were not partied ( and had no loot rights either btw. ). The hit on the way was just averarage and I was pretty lucky not to meet really hard hitting monsters. :whistling:

Ah yes, the thinking you have BO when you don't. It can be very dangerous, which is why I always cast it like 3 times just to make sure I don't only throw BC and Shout.

Whenever I port Hell Baal's, I always pop up the LCS to make sure I get BO/Shout. Last thing I need is to port into a bad pack, and never port out.

Seems like I have those 5% extra luck needed to survive situations, where I did stupid things.

Started a Mephi-series, got BO and teled through Durance level 2 when I got a real hard hit ( 50% health lost ). No biggie, drank a juv and made my way to Mephi, who killed my merc in like 3 hits. Now my instinct told my to evade all further attacks and go to town as fast as possible to find out, what was wrong. I did and saw I was not boed, because my toons were not partied ( and had no loot rights either btw. ). The hit on the way was just averarage and I was pretty lucky not to meet really hard hitting monsters. :whistling:

Push the life buttons next time you level her. :whistling:

I didn't BO a few times. Merc dies pretty quick, I get hit with the Cold Orb and my eyes go: O_O

I did this just yesterday too! I went in for the static and got a little closer then normal so he turned and attacked me a few times hard. I thought "that's unusal". But it was when I went to stand back and throw orbs and he 2 hitted my merc that I decided to tuck tail and run away to town to see what was going on.

-hps

I have so many near-death experiences in the week i've been baaling meph hell. It's terrible...

Stuff like: Teleporting right on top of a group of Fanamaulers/manaburn stygs. Happened to me 3 times already, sometimes I hardly got away with 15 hp.

Had a few close calls this week.

Was baaling with the gauss gang, since it's an 8 player game with other players tanking I didn't bother summoning my skellies. TP to the throne is called safe, so I step down. Just as I come through the first wave hits and start walking towards the TP, I'm not worried at first but then I notice that they have fanaticism... and no one else seems to be coming through the TP. I quickly cast decreptify and try to draw them away from the TP but the pathfinding puts me right along side a bunch of the little buggers. I go down to 1/4hp in maybe 2 hits (even though they're decreped), I use a rejuv, get whacked again, use a rejuv.... then everyone FINALLY comes through the portal. Barb uses BO, and the rest of the players kill off the troublesome monsters. It only took everyone else maybe 10 seconds to follow me down but it felt like forever. :D

Decided I wanted to do some hell cows for a laugh. Also decided to revive some dead cows for extra meat shielding. Why why why did I do this? Such a mistake. Ended up coming across a boss back with might aura and didn't notice they weren't my revived cows until just the last second. Hit save and exit in a panic. That'll be the last time I summon revives in the moo moo farm.

My Near death experience...

So my paladin, zeal champion, maxed out Fant (level 27) level 10 holy shield, level 50 overall. I decide you know what, I just got to NM, let's do some NM cows, I'm tough enough for that.

So I propose this idea to someone who has chant and they said sure. So before you know it, I have fant, enchant, for a whooping 4500 zeal max zeal dmg, and very high AR.

Not only that, but my defence merc plus my holy shield leaves me near 5000 with decent dex for block.

I decide hey, since I haven't done so in a while charge right into the first heard of cows I see. I figure 8-10 cows, not too much to see what I've got. before you know it, there are cows surrounding me, seems like that 8-10 was more like 80 and my merc dies.

Im trying to leech with my zeal hits, but I can't tank them, all my juvies have been used except for 1 reg juvie.

Just as I hit it...my life goes from near nothing (maybe like 2hp) to about 1/3rd and i have just enough time (by a second) to save and exit.

My (now) Level 77 Lower Resist / Skeleton Mage / Thorns Necromancer, "Mr_Hate", just about got the Deeds screen late yesterday, while trying for the umpteenth time to find the right way to the Summoner through the Arcane Sanctuary.

He had a full army and was on the path that has all of those stupid red teleporter portals... there is one such layout where, no matter how hard you try, you simply cannot see what monsters are at the other end of the teleporter portal pair, because the "destination" portal is so far from the "originating" portal that the "destination" one is for all intents and purposes off the screen (even at 800 x 600 resolution).

My Necro risked it, but the second he appeared at the destination he found himself surrounded by godly monsters, one of which -- some stupid Goatman type thingie -- had managed to get between him and the red portal (this happened before Mr_Hate materialized on the other side; personally I think this is a stupid Diablo bug, since it gives you no way whatsoever in which to retreat back the way you came... it's very unfair).

Despite having a huge army camped out on his square, and despite not moving with about a 26% block chance, my Necro got hit over and over again, with each strike wiping away about 2/3 of his 890 hit points... :dizzy: after about 5 big purple happy pills I decided that discretion would be the better part of valor and hit the S&E -- first time that I have had to do that, in about a year.

As a sidenote, man is the Arcane a royal pain for a Necromancer, even one like mine whose minions can kill from a distance. You rarely get more than a few skellies or Revives (plus Golem) with enough front to attack the monsters and it's also almost impossible to get more than 2 or 3 mages close enough to fire at whatever's blocking your way... meaning that even with CE, it takes forever to batter your way forward. Very frustrating because my army annihilates almost anything it runs into, when my army can actually fight, as opposed to waiting in line behind me! :banghead:

"Not Dead Yet" :whistling:

Mr. Bill

Wasn't to close of a call really, but the first time I had to save and exit in a while:

Was Ubering solo yesterday for the second time the season, everything was going fine (a bit slow though in minis, but no big deal) when after I had downed Mephy (the hard part) and Baal, I headed for Diablo. At this point, I am not worried, I figure he'll go down nice and easy, and I'll just pray for a nice torch.

Well, I hit a bit of a snag..... He summoned a few minions, to which i paid no mind too since I know once you engage them they don't summon anymore, but then suddenly noticed something, that "volcano" thing was right under my feat, and yeah, the summons were not stopping. So, there I am with Diablo, being pelted by ever increasing number of minions, I tried to run away, but waited to long and was surround. However, I had moved just enough to be unable to whack at Diablo, so there I was, surround by minions, Smiting the minions to try and run away, and sudden realized Tap ain't kicking in. So yeah, after using 2 full rejevs while deciding what to do, I just S&E'd. More annoying then anything else.

Another time though, my first Uber run of the season. Nearly did Deeded me.

So I enter Matrons Den. Turns out, Lilith is like 2 rooms away. Perfect I think, I don't need to take forever finding her. Yeah, but thing was, a boss Succubus pack was in the room too, but I didn't see that right away. I was already toe to toe with her, when the red balls start coming, may way, and I am thinking "oh god no, don't let it be Amp!".

I try to lure her out a bit, and it works somewhat, but one still follows. One is enough. I see a curse cast, thank god its that crappy lower defense curse that with Holy Shield and Shout, is nothing. So I keep at it. She hits about 1/4 left, I am starting to get a high heart beat still hoping for no Amp, when suddenly "Hello mister Unique, how are you today? In an Amping mood? Ah, it seems so." Bamn, I get Amp'd, and proceed to freak. A few hits take about half of my 3kish life, and really freaked me the hell out.

Now I would have S&E'd, and tried again, but remember, she was right by entrance, and so was the boss pack, so I had nowhere to seperate them. After burning a few rej's, she went down though, but not until raising my heartbeat to an extreme level.

I don't have to many of these, by they can be "fun" so to speak.

Last night I persuaded Tom to do just one NM Baal for my budding IK Barb so that I could gain some quick exp before he continued to rush me through Hell...i'm loving it as i'm gaining like there's no tomorrow and I can acually kill stuff as well! Wave 3 spawns and the bee-astard is FE/LE and as I blissfully whirl my way through the pack I smack him once or twice and my health drops to a sliver in the bulb...I stop whirling dead centre of the pack and stand there for at least 4 seconds with no life but it was like a real whirlwind (or hurricane?)...calm at the centre of the storm...no one hit me and I didn't hit anyone so I popped a full juve and whirled on out again and ran cowering into a corner...Tom had given me the IK Armour not 2 seconds before that and said "You better mule it dude.." I said "Nah, it will be fine with you rushing me!"
Moral: don't get too relaxed, there is always a situation that can kill you so pay attention to everything!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High