A Lack of Information (A S/U Worshipper Tournament)

woooops, snoop is dead, level 30, flayer jungle. Man I am terrible at D2. Got fire hosed by a bunch of flayer shamans at once and I was slow to the draw at gulping a purple. I think my main issue is lack of caution. I mean I know those fire hoses hurt, and I know I could have used CoS to allow myself to take each shaman on individually... but I just went for it.

Seeing as how this character was super fun to play, time to enter with... snoop-ii phoenix strike assassin! Currently level 15, tamoe highlands.

In the interest of avoiding littering this thread with my failures, I'll just update again if/when snoop-ii beats normal!

@JudgeHolden - One of the main points of posting is so others can enjoy your adventures too. There isn't many people playing and actually posting at the moment anyway, so please share. Good luck this time and remember take it slow with HC, I've learned to become a lot more cautious myself from when I first attempted HC.

@JudgeHolden - Sorry about the deeds, but good luck with snoop-ii :) I'd also like to echo Southpaw and say keep us updated, it's always fun to hear about the other players' adventures!

Thanks, everyone! Yeah snoop was fun for me from lvl 1 onward. I think assassins might be my favorite class.

Snoop-ii just finished act 1... not sure what level she is at the moment. Act 1 was a breeze. I forgot to go to P3 and ended up taking on Andariel on p8, which was actually not bad. The shadow warrior tanked her while snoop-ii killed her fairly quickly with blade fury.

She got a whole bucket of chipped topaz's pretty quickly, plus a nagelring from a chest. Other than the nagelring, just some arctic furs (went to merc), and a Hsarus' buckler, which is on switch.

Okay well I said I had an update coming, and here it is! I hope you have your reading-and-screenshot-viewing pants on (an essential part of every SPF-ers wardrobe, I'm sure), because it's a long one!

--

Miasma left the safety of the docks and ventured out into the jungles of Act III. As expected, the lower health of the monsters in this act (minus Thorn Hulks) has made it quite easy, fast, and fun. In the Arachnid Lair we found the Infernal Torch. Hmm, the +1 nec skills would be very nice to boost PN, but I'm not comfortable sacrificing the resists off of the Diggler just yet, so we're going to stay the course for now. It could definitely make an appearance later on if we solve our resistance conundrum though! With a boost to our motivation we plowed through the rest of the Spider Forest, and took on Sszark and his posse without any issues.

The Flayer Jungle got much the same treatment, and Miasma and his group were feeling very impressed with themselves. They cockily cleared the first level of the Swampy Pit, took the stairs down, and had their egos immediately dashed into oblivion:

pK6LNcW.jpg

That is NOT good. Even after switching to our 'safe' shield, our LR was only a measly 23%, and the gloams can cut through Miasma very quickly. That screenshot is the result of him getting hit by only one stream (that I could see anyways..), so that gives you an idea of how dangerous this place could be. Add to this the fact that Attract became much less godly, as then lightning streams are flying in all sorts of directions, and we had our work cut out for us here. With very, VERY careful playing, and a TON of Dim Vision (and potions!) we were able to slowly but surely clear the rest of the Swampy Pit out. After this, we popped back and cleared out the Great Marsh (which was Gloam-free) before continuing on through the Flayer Jungle.

Now, if you've been following along with Miasma's adventure, you'll know from his complaining that the only S/U belt he's found so far is from the Arctic Set (he's found TWO of them, to boot!). The two-row potion situation has been a huge source of annoyance (and sometimes danger!) for him. Well, let me just say that no, we didn't find a new belt. We did however find him a nice matching bow!
So Miasma is now a bow-wielding poison necromancer, as his Diggler/Milabrega's Shield got relegated to switch duties to give us a whopping 20% increase in MF. :rolleyes: It's scary giving up the extra resists (we are now at 16/29/8/-12), but at least we've got it just a weapon switch away if we need extra protection.

Stormtree was absolutely terrifying. In addition to the normal EF/LE, he was also cursed:

Z83ndTz.jpg

Attract helps here, but it also has the downside of letting all of his minions get frenzied while they bash each other. Shortly after the screenie was taken, Azrael and Gumby were vaporized. Miasma let his inner hero take control, and ran like a little girl, then TP-ed out to resurrect his meat-shie..err, I mean friend. We caught a lucky break, and only Stormtree himself followed us during our epic retreat. Decrep allowed us to take him out no problem, and his minions weren't so scary without the amp on us.

We moved up through the old Kurast cities, and the Drop Gods smiled upon us once again in the Bazaar. Finally, an upgrade over that damned Soul Harvest! The blinding, freezing, and slowing immediately helped out against some of the tougher enemies. Once we cleared the bazaar we muled in some key ingredients and upgraded the Woestave to a Bec-de-Corbin. Azrael's killing power is about double what it was with the Soul Harvest(which was also upped!), and his crowd control has made things much safer. Super happy with this find! We finished clearing out the above-ground portions of the cities, with only this champ pack of Cantors slowing us down. It probably took the same amount of time to seperate and kill off this pack as it did to clear the rest of the LK/KB/UK. After this, there was no more time to delay, it was time for the temples.

The first temple was the Disused Fane. We were immediately greeted by these happy fellows:

TC8JbS0.jpg

I know what you're thinking, just some normal beasts, no big deal right? No. That isn't right. Immediately after the screenshot was taken, some more beasts came in from the side room and all of a sudden our group was amped. Great, a boss pack. Spamming Attract to keep the heat off, we then saw some spiders and more beasts come flying in from the OTHER side room. There was no way we could hold our position here, the entrance was almost filled and we were constantly spamming attract to try and keep them distracted. All it would take was one or two hits by those hard hitting spiders and Miasma would be toast. We had to take a chance, and made a break for it. We JUST managed to sneak around the enemies into a side room while the beasts smacked each other around. Here is the boss, Extra Strong too! Phew, that would have been VERY ugly if we got tagged by one of his minions. The rest of the temple was easy, but that was a scary start to our temple adventure. Hopefully that was the worst of it.

Nope.

Sarina's temple started off nearly exactly the same, except with flesh hunters instead of beasts. Then, just like last time, mosters started streaming in.

K77HpjW.jpg

We were okay where we were, and Attract was keeping the heat off while we guzzled blues and thre PN out as often as we could to try and thin the crown. But then, a flash of red and grey from the main room. Oh great, Sarina's pack (who got Stone Skin in addition to their usual Extra Fast, Spectral Hit) had decided to show up as well. Great. The Stone skin meant Azrael had a tough time containing them, and soon we were losing position. We darted into the side room where we coule establish a better position and use the doorway to funnel the enemies at a manageable pace. Okay, that got the adrenaline pumping! We went to clear the rest of the tomb, and it was completely empty. Literally the ENTIRE tomb's worth of enemies had all decided to join Miasma in the entranceway. All that was left was that stupid book. Miasma kicked it into one of the pits in disgust, although he never did hear it hit the bottom. He briefly pondered what the heck Sarina even did down here, and what was down those pits, but decided he best not dawdle too long. He had more temples to clear!

The remaining temples were akin to taking a leisurely stroll though the park on a warm summer's day, after those first two deathmatches. There was nothing more than a few beetles, or spiders to greet us. After the temples had all been secured, we went down into the Sewers to find that pesky heart. The Sewers were a snap, and we didn't even have to use Poison Explosion of any skellies as Azrael's Woestave shatters nearly everything he kills. So with the unravellers essentially nullified, nothing really gave us an issue. Not even these Might enchanted boss and champ packs of preserved Dead. We did, however, find a Boneflesh down there, which boosted Azrael to 75% OW and 10% ll, nice!

The High Council had some nasty mods, as usual. But once we seperated Toorc, Ismael, and Geleb, it was quite straightforward. The Durance provided us with Maulers and Dolls, although we flew through without any problems. Only
Bremm gave us a slight hiccup on our way to Meph, but even then it was not too dangerous.

Meph himself was slowed to an absolute crawl and rendered quite useless by the CG, Decrep, and Azrael's lovely Woestave. There was never a lick of danger, but even at /p3 it took a full 8 minutes to bleed the sucker out.

RhVJPiI.jpg

Nice! The Peasant Crown is now our front-runner for end-game headgear, which is nice. For now of course we're sticking with tarnhelm to keep the MF going. Here is a shot of our LCS while Miasma takes a bit of a rest before setting off into the wastelands of Act IV.

TJ8lruR.jpg

Wow, what an act for improving our MF, and drops in general! We now sit at 151% MF, which I'm quite pleased with. Now if we can only find some way to make up some more resists (we found a few charm upgrades in the later stages, hence the boost in FR from earlier in the act), Miasma will be all set!

Other finds:
- Undead Crown (Spider Cavern) - finally, some ll for Azrael!
- Vidala's Barb (Swapmy Pit 1)
- Cleglaw's Gloves (Great Marsh)
- The Patriarch (eth) (Flayer Jungle) - interesting for an A5 merc if I wasn't committed to Thorns
- Iratha's Gloves (Stormtree)
- Ribcracker (eth) (Upper Kurast) - don't get too excited, Zod Gods, it was only 244% :p
- Nagelring (22%) (Upper Kurast)
- Magnus' Skin (Ruined Temple)
- Endlesshail (Travincal)

[highlight]Destroyer Miasma the Poison Necromancer, with Azrael the Thorns Guard - lvl 64, NM Pandemonium Fortress[/highlight]

Those are some rough situations there, pretty sure I wouldn't have made it out alive with my paladin.

Some pretty nice finds as well, you've got some good options.

The resists in this tournament are just brutal. Necro and Amazon are at a big disadvantage with no skill based mitigation for elemental damage or resists.

God's luck in act 4! I should have an update in a few days at most.

Thanks!

The Necro at least makes up for his lack of skill-based resists by having some really effective CC options in the curses. That is, until I'm cornered by a champ pack, or the finger mages, or whatever other monsters aren't affected by the AI-altering curses (I'm looking at you, Minions of destruction!).

Nice job, Pb_Pal! I'm 100% sure I'd have died in those temples, with any character.

snoop-ii is currently level 26, clearing the arcane sanctuary. Everything is going smoothly. Still no S/U weapons, but I have the horadric staff on switch until I finish the act, because I suppose I'm required to.

equipment:
armor: arctic furs
belt: arctic binding
ring1: nagelring
ring2: cathan
gloves: cleglaw
shield: umbral disk
switch: horadric staff

No other s/u's on myself or the merc. I also have a cleglaw shield but my AR is fine right now so I'm sticking with the umbral disk for the high blocking %.
-
I spent awhile last night hopelessly confused as to why my shadow warrior seemed to have CtC amp damage ability... google this morning seems to suggest its a random affix on claws that she spawns. Apparently she didn't get the memo that she's only supposed to equip S/Us! :p

Nice job, Pb_Pal! I'm 100% sure I'd have died in those temples, with any character.

snoop-ii is currently level 26, clearing the arcane sanctuary. Everything is going smoothly. Still no S/U weapons, but I have the horadric staff on switch until I finish the act, because I suppose I'm required to.

Thanks! And good progress yourself. :)

Just a note, under Rule 21 it states that Quest items that are unique (Staff of Kings, Khalim's Will etc) are not actually required to be used if you don't want to. You are more than welcome to use them of course, since they are technically Uniques, but they don't have to replace your whites/greys if you haven't found the applicable S/U for thaose slots yet.

Cheers. :)

Alright, as promised here is my update. It's a long one, so buckle up!

I was not particularly excited to start act 2, let's just say that. There are quite a few areas and monsters that are problematic for me. The plan was to do areas on /p1 until I saw the monster rolls and then up it to /p3 if I felt comfortable. I did most of the first half of the act at /p3. The most obvious problem is with skeletons, especially archers. Mana burn on unleechable ranged monsters is just not fun at all. Pretty sure Fiona died right after I took this shot :p Sewers 3 was an unexpected stair trap. After coming around the first corner I was greeted by an extra fast skeleton pack. I got immediately surrounded, and when I tried to get away I drew in a bunch of saber cats. I did a lot of running around and the merc died a couple times before I could get them separated enough to go to work on them. Radament was not too bad, apparently he was trying to read a book while we were fighting. I wasn't going to make that same mistake, so it stayed with his corpse.

Onward to the Rocky waste, where I quickly encountered another creature I disliked greatly: spear cats. This one was very scary, they came close to getting me a few times. I decided to detail my pathetic AR, and show you how painful my chance to hit is. I run conviction whenever I can so that I can actually hit things. The stony tomb also had a skeleton stair trap, complete with a champ pack and boss pack. These are an easy monster base, but I can't run conviction, and it's not uncommon for me to miss 4 hits in a row, so it gets tough when I don't have enough space to set up longer charge chains. Minor stair trap on level 2, but otherwise not too bad after the start.

Next up is something that I realized was very dangerous: LE/CE bosses, or just CE beetles. The stone skin just makes it extra mean. I almost killed myself by charging her, as my cold resists are only 46 with salvation. After that scare I realized that CE bosses needed a potion buff. With 85 cold resists there was no problem. I bought a ton of thawing and antidote potions in this act, more than I've probably ever bought on a character before. Bloodmoon dropped in the Dry Hills, my first elite S/U. Interesting, but not enough damage to be useful. Pretty sexy charm find as well. It's a real shame it didn't get a suffix, but it still finds a spot in my inventory.

As soon as I set foot in the Far Oasis I was greeted by something terrible, and a known problem: The PI beetle boss. Extra strong, stone skin, conviction. Wow, that's just brutal! I was pretty sure that my full clear was ending here. But I was actually able to kill him! I would take on charge in to keep him at bay while Fiona plunked away. I just tried to make sure he stayed poisoned so he wouldn't regenerate. I got pretty good at dodging the bolts, but it was still very dangerous. Beetleburst was not cool either, CE and extra fast is not good. I decided to take this shot a bit too late, but I can tell he was CE for sure! Far Oasis also granted my second Elite unique, but it was a bit depressing. I really like Jade Talon, and I'm sure any assassin in the tournament would love to see them as well.

I really hate the lsot city, the darkness really gets to me. This guy might be scary for some, but not for this character, man do I love sanctuary! Nothing to major outside, but the CVT was high on my list of scary places, and it quickly showed me why right at the entrance. No idea what this guy's aura was, but the other two mods are bad in their own. I tried to have a plan for CVT 2, but in reality there wasn't really one, the plan was to really hope I didn't get swarmed. Got a pretty bad roll on Fangskin, right by the entrance, and with mana burn. He was dangerous, but I got him alright. I figured it was smooth sailing after he died, but soon found there was another fiend down in the pit. My carelessness was almost my downfall, I was quickly swarmed and had to do a lot of running and evading to get his pack.

Maggot lair was also not a good place for me, it's really a terrible place for a charger. I quickly found a room full of maggots. But I was more worried about the itches type monsters. I found that they were not as bad as I thought they might be, and between Fiona and my Aldur's switch we could take them down quick enough. Pulse fester was tough, I damage him so slowly that he kept burrowing and coming back out with more life, took quite a while to get him down. Look, let's be honest, every time I here a ring hit the ground I get a little excited, but when I saw this I was scared to ID it. I already had two Cathan's, and I'm not the kind of guy to wear a toe ring. But alas, it finally happened! I had to wait until the end of the session to put it to use, so more on that later. The rest of the lair was no too tough, just slow. After that I was able to swap my angelic in. I changed quite a bit. Angelic armor and amulet and ring were equipped, removing
Hwain's armor, Nokozan, and Cathan's ring. I also swapped Bladebuckle for wilhelm's to make up for the lost leech on cathan's. This change took my Ar from 2k to 6.3k, which is an amazing change, to say the least. I also got a +1 skill boost, and nice MF boost, which is currently at 144. Being able to hit things makes this character fun again!

Halls of the dead had a few tough spots. Seethe Pox. Mummies are not enjoyable, but redemption works well to clear the corpses to make them not so bad. Steel web was tough, there's a sarcophagus in there, and it took quite a while to get this room cleared. I found a sigon boot in level 2, which is a nice upgrade, since I have more fire and less cold resists than I need with salvation on. I still needed to drink thawing potions on some bosses though. Bloodwitch was a bit scary, but I used extreme caution to separate them. The nice thing about a level 20 Vigor aura is that I can run away from most things as long as I have space.

The palace was a little annoying. My poison resist is at -85, so antidote potions barely take the edge off. Poison skeletons were annoying and dangerous. This blunderbore boss was also extremely tough. He got similar treatment to the PI beetle earlier, but I had to run conviction to be able to damage him. He was just kept at bay with charges while we slowly whittled away at his life. I'm glad this room ended up being at the end, it had two bosses in it, and it was tough to even get near the door safely. Lucky for me Fire eye made an error in judgment on his spawn location. All those arms and you can't open a door?

The entirety of the rest of the act is all scary for this character. Ghosts and stair traps abound from here on out. At the start of the AS I was wishing I remembered the portal pattern a little better, because there was no way I wanted to end up right next to this guy on accident! Again? This looks familiar! So glad I have a ranged merc for these guys! He did tp across to me and almost made me ruin my pants at one point, but it wasn't actually that dangerous. Ughh, apparently aura enchanted is the mod of the area. I found like this charm, I like it a lot. The rest of the AS was not bad, the first leg was the only really tough spot.

I am well aware of the dangers of the Canyon, especially at the start where you can get swarmed. I have lost at least one character here. Unfortunately I was right to be worried. I did not get my biggest fear, which are whip cats that are stupidly fast, but I did get wendigos and beetles. I always head south to start, so that's what I did. It only took a few steps to find the first boss. He almost ended my journey several times, he could take a good 7-800 in one shot easily, and that mana burn is so tough when you don't have space to evade. Then there was pack #2. I don't know what I would have done if I had met #3 earlier on, he was maybe the toughest. But maybe #4 was worse, it's a tough call. 4 boss and 1 champ wendigo packs in the lower section. Somehow I managed to keep them all way from each other, but it was a brutal start.

I was very concerned with stair traps in the tombs, especially with ghosts. Ghosts are not really a problem if I have space and they aren't mixed in with anything else, but that's not usually the case. I guess I'm going to be cursed because there's no avoiding it with this duo: 1 and 2. A bit of a stairtrap on the next tomb here. I almost felt bad that these beetles were trapped in by the chests. Almost. I soon got another nice drop: sigon's belt. That helps my resists a bit more, and the 2 piece set gives a bit of defense, AR, and 10% LL! That's a nice upgrade. Another conviction beetle here.

Had a triple mummy pack 1 , 2 , 3. And another PI blunderbore. I found Ancient Kaa, but he wasn't too bad at least. I have another dozen or so shots of nasty bosses from the tombs, but my fingers are wearing out, so I'm just going to move on. The tombs were slow, annoying, and dangerous. The true tomb had greater mummies, ghosts, and vampires. Probably the worst combo I could get, so it was extra slow. Duriel was a little scary, but not really that bad, only took a couple minuets, most of which was spend running back to town to resurrect/restock potions. Drop was disappointing.

I'm still trying to gamble another angelic ring, as a second one would be awesome as well, as it is an improvement in every way over my nagel.

Finds:
Isenhart's sword -Sewers 3
Cathan's Rule -Stony tomb 2
Bloodmoon -Dry hills
Jade Talon -Far oasis
Ravenclaw -Lost city
Angelic Ring -Maggot lair 2
Boneslayer blade -Maggot lair 3
Sigon's boots -Halls 2
Iratha's crown -Tombs
Sigon's belt -Tombs

I will now be taking bets on what will kill me in act 3. High on that list are:
Temples, especially sarina
gloams
dolls
flayers

I just don't see myself making it out of this act, but I'm sure going to try! I would have a much higher chance of survival if I didn't try to kill everything, but I've still got a full game clear up until now, so I don't want to give that up unless I really have to.

Dauntless_Train the Paldain and Fiona the cold rogue, level 81 Act 3 hell

Nice job, kestegs! I'd have died dozens and dozens of times over. Good luck on Act 3! Is there a reason you're using a cold rogue other than style points?

snoop-ii is still alive and kicking, level 42, Halls of Pain. Last update was arcane sanctuary, so here's how we've been doing, as best as I can remember:

The rest of act 2 was pretty decent. I had only found one S/U weapon (berserker's set axe) so I was still able to use fists of fire with a katar and umbral disk shield. Merc had a poleaxe with some gems in it, doing good damage. After the slog of clearing out the false tombs, however, Duriel rewarded my efforts by dropping an Isenhart sword, which means no more fists of fire for me... boo.

Start of act 3 was fine. Merc and shadow warrior were doing most of the killing, and I was casting CoS and doing some support damage with my stupid isenhart sword. Then... still in the beginning of act 3, stoutnail drops. Now my merc loses his poleaxe and his damage plummets. So for part of act 3 everything becomes somewhat tedious, but still safe. Then I hit level 30 and start phoenix striking, but at 1 point it isn't doing fantastic damage yet. Somewhere in mid act-3 (I am pretty sure that was when it dropped...), bloodthief drops! This is a great weapon for my merc right now, big life leech, and the open wounds is anice bonus. Now that the merc has his mojo back, the rest of the act moves quickly. Meph was a piece of cake. I used a crushflange which had dropped recently.

Act 4 was fun. Big packs of OKs and friends in the chaos santuary hurt a bit, but CoS is a big help. Phoenix strike is starting to get stronger. Diablo at /p3 was nice enough to drop skull splitter, and the cleglaw sword. He killed the merc once with his lightning hose but otherwise no problems.

The cleglaw sword made me super strong going into act 5, because I also have the gloves and shield. I will miss the high block % of the umbral disk, but the mana steal, crushing blow, deadly strike, AR bonus, resists, etc. of the ful cleglaws set are more than worth it at this point. That, plus the fact that my phoenix strike is getting stronger and stronger, mean that act 5 has been a complete cake-walk so far. I haven't had to touch any potions thanks to life steal from cathan ring and mana steal from cleglaw set. My life and mana bulbs rarely even drop visibly below full, so I'm sticking with the arctic belt even though I have a couple 3-row set belts that have dropped, because the MF and whatnot from the actic belt+armor is nice.

Another great drop, iceblink armor for the merc dropped in the arreat plateau. We love the "freezes target" mod. We were happy to clear the Pits of Acheron, because we've now officially passed the point where The_Kid, the rabies druid, died, thus making snoop-ii the furthest I've gotten in this tournament thus far. We poured out a rancid gas potion in honor of The_Kid, and moved on. We've rescued Anya, and are currently in the Halls of Pain.

Act 5 has been the easiest act by far, at this point. So much so that my biggest worry is stupidly charging into a pack of something dangerous, so I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm.

Gear:
Helm: Topaz'd full helm.
Armor: Arctic
Gloves: Cleglaw
Belt: Arctic
Boots: white chain boots I've had since act 1
Amulet: empty
ring1: nagel
ring2: cathan
weapon1: cleglaw sword
shield1: cleglaw shield
switch weap: skull splitter
switch shield: umbral disk
merc weapon: bloodthief
merc helm: milabrega's crown
merc armor: iceblink

As you can see, just the helm, amulet, and boots are still missing an S/U.

@kestegs - Wow! Great job, those were some seriously scary boss packs you encountered. Nice finds on those charms though, really cool. :) Such a cool character, good luck in A3! (I'm not placing a death bet, as tempting fate is not my strong suit :p)

@JudgeHolden - Congrats on successfully avenging both snoop and The_Kid! Hopefully PS keeps picking up and you keep cruising. :)

--

I'd say it's about time for a table update.

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
Forum Name      Class        Char Name        LVL    ACT      Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azimuthus       Amazon       Furiosa          83     --       Game Complete

Table of Heroes:
Forum Name      Class        Char Name        LVL    ACT      Area
kestegs         Paladin      Dauntless_Train  81     A3(H)    Kurast Docks
Southpaw8668    Amazon       Witchie          65     A4(NM)   Pandemonium Fortress
Pb_pal          Necromancer  Miasma           64     A4(NM)   Pandemonium Fortress
jiansonz        Paladin      Beren            61     A3(NM)   Lower Kurast
EasyG           Barbarian    Ignorant         ??     A3(NM)   Kurast Docks
Naturallog      Sorceress    Permafrost       53     A2(NM)   Lut Gholein
JudgeHolden     Assassin     snoop_ii         ??     A5       Halls of Pain
Dazliare        Necromancer  Covenant         28     A2       False Tombs
Virtue          Assassin     ThisWontEndWell  26     A3       Kurast Docks
srrw            Sorceress    Zoey             25     A2       Palace
SunsetVista     Assassin     Kalandra         23     A2       Far Oasis
U.i.n.i.u       Necromancer  SetUnique        ??     A2       Lut Gholein
Lord Molybdenum Paladin      Zarquich         17     A1       Outer Cloister
Bry             Necromancer  BoneCut          15     A1       Black Marsh
Jocular         Paladin      Grok             12     A1       Stony Field

The Fallen (RIP):
Forum Name      Class        Char Name        LVL    ACT       Area
Southpaw8668    Necromancer  Mithik           80     A3(H)     Spider Forest
Pb_pal          Assassin     Karna            67     A5(NM)    Abaddon
Azimuthus       Necromancer  BoneVoyage       62     A3(NM)    Upper Kurast
Southpaw8668    Paladin      Wolfswift        51     A1(NM)    Cathedral
JudgeHolden     Druid        The_Kid          38     A5        Pit of Acheron
JudgeHolden     Assassin     snoop            30     A3        Flayer Jungle
ranagrande      Druid        Orbin            34     A4        Diablo
Jcakes          Paladin      Ares             ??     A4        Diablo
Bry             Sorceress    ScruffMcBuff     31     A4        Plains of Despair

Nice job, kestegs! I'd have died dozens and dozens of times over. Good luck on Act 3! Is there a reason you're using a cold rogue other than style points?

Thanks! The playstyle of a charger doesn't work well with a melee merc. You also can't knock back frozen things, so a cold wolf is out. A fire wolf is pretty bad damage, and I tried the lighting wolf earlier and didn't feel he was very helpful. So cold rogue it is, complete with wizendraw [emoji14]

@kestegs - Wow! Great job, those were some seriously scary boss packs you encountered. Nice finds on those charms though, really cool. :) Such a cool character, good luck in A3! (I'm not placing a death bet, as tempting fate is not my strong suit [emoji14])

Thanks, and fair enough!

@kestegs - That's a great idea how to take advantage of that bow. I once built a cold ranger paladin with it and it worked really well.

snoop-ii has completed normal. Now in NM act 1, rogue encampment, level 48.

The remainder of act 5 went just fine. I think it was in the drifter cavern that an angelic amulet dropped, my first S/U amulet. Then, in the frozen tundra, the Face of Horror dropped. Nice helm if it wasn't for the annoying Hit Causes Monster to Flee 50%. So to negate that annoying effect, the mask went on the merc (and snoop-ii took the milabrega crown). The "hit freezes target" on the merc's iceblink meant that try as they might, the monsters could not in fact flee in terror. I may well end up putting it back on snoop-ii in nightmare, though, if resists are an issue.

With the angelic ammy and the mask, my boots were the only slot without an S/U yet.

Ancients were cake, and WSK was fine too. I think I gulped 1 or 2 reds in WSK due to the unfreezable frenzytaurs, but it was more a precaution than a serious situation.

Baal was fine. He killed the shadow warrior a few times but the merc and I made relatively short work of him. I had to feed one purple to the merc. Baal was nice enough to drop Hsarus' boots, so happily I filled every equipment slot with an S/U in normal.

On to cows, which phoenix strike ripped apart spectacularly. Got a shael for my trouble, which is nice.

Now on to NM. My NM cold and fire resists are pretty good without fade, but lightning is -13, so I'll be switching to fade mostly whereas in normal I was using burst of speed. Even with fade, LE worries me. I'll put on the Face of Horror if need be for the +10 res all, although the fleeing monster thing is super annoying when it makes them run out of meteor range.

I'm about to max phoenix strike. I have 2 points in shadow warrior and 3 points in fade, and I think 6 or so in fists of fire. After maxing phoenix strike, should I pump up FoF, or thunder claw, or something else? I find myself using the meteor charge of phoenix strike much more than the lightning charge.

It will also be interesting to see if I have to ditch the cleglaw set due to the low blocking shield... but I do love everything else about the set at this point.

I'm about to max phoenix strike. I have 2 points in shadow warrior and 3 points in fade, and I think 6 or so in fists of fire. After maxing phoenix strike, should I pump up FoF, or thunder claw, or something else? I find myself using the meteor charge of phoenix strike much more than the lightning charge.

Congrats on the Destroyer! I pumped FoF to ~10-12 (or somewhere around there), and then from there started pumping the lightning synergy. You will still be using primarily the meteor charge for most of NM, but you'll want a bit more power in the lightning charge for the monsters with high fire res (or immunities) in the later stages of NM. I also found it much better for clearing out the smaller, faster enemies such as cave leapers, as aiming the meteors isn't always a cakewalk.

Nice going, and congrats on the Destroyerhood.

should I pump up FoF, or thunder claw, or something else?

You'll want Claws of Thunder to be pretty high when you reach Act IV NM, as the Doom Knights there are the first FI monsters that aren't pushovers. And if you want your Shadow to be any good as a tank, she needs plenty of more points as you progress in Nightmare.

Yeah I think I'll start to pump Claws of Thunder... I think I have 4 points in it now. I also put another point in Fade, but I think I'll stop with fade now due to the diminishing returns.

NM so far has been fun, definitely more challenging. I came very, very, very close to dying in the cave level 1 when CoS expired and I was got peppered with arrows from a boss pack that had amped me. They ripped through my shadow and merc so quickly that before I knew what was happening my red bulb was basically empty.

So level 52 now, in the inner cloister. Using blade fury on anything lightning enchanted because my lightning res with fade is only like 29 or so.

Some interesting finds that have made for some difficult gear decisions:

I found The Tannr Gorerod, boneflesh, and a sigon belt. The 4-row belt would be nice, but without the 40 MF from arctic furs + belt, I'd only have the tiny MF from nagelring. The Tannr Gorerod's damage is way higher than bloodthief, but then I'd have to use boneflesh instead of iceblink on the merc in order to get some leech, plus the 5% LL on boneflesh with the slow-hitting gorerod just doesn't seem as safe as the 11% LL in the faster hitting bloodthief, plus the awesome freezes target mod on iceblink. So for now, those three items go to the stash.

Due to my light res issues I tried using face of terror on snoop, but the hit causes monsters to flee really messes with my phoenix striking. My usual tactic is to throw out an ice charge to freeze everything then meteor it all to hell, but with the monsters running away after one or two hits I can't get the 3 charges for ice fact enough, and end up with more non-frozen enemies hacking away at me. Doesn't seem worth it for just 10 more light res (fire and cold maxed already without face of terror)

Miasma began his search for the second Prime Evil, and got not two steps out of the Pandemonium Fortress before running into his first group of naturally poison-immune monsters; Venom Lords.

yMDyDik.jpg

They were breakable luckily, but it was still slow going.

As you can see, spawners joined the fun at the stairs as well. The Steppes in general took quite a long time, and Azrael had to do most of the killing, but we made it through.

The Plains of Despair and City of the Damned were more interesting. They were populated by OK's, Spitters, and Doom Casters (PoD) and Lightning Hounds, Abyss Knights and Spawners (CotD). The monsters went down much easier, but they were also way more dangerous. We got hit by a normal OK at one point and it took off just shy of half of Miasma's life, so we had to be very wary. Especially when guys like this, or this decided to show up. Izual was amped so that he would fall in a reasonable amount of time.

Hephasto was Might enchanted, and had Urdars as bodyguards again. Poor little gumby would die in 1 hit, so we really had to keep on top of Attract for the Urdars, with Decrep for Hephasto himself. Once we was alone though, he was fairly tame. The Hellforge gave us an Io. The best part of the RoF? A NEW BELT!!! Finally! We decided to sacrifice a little bit of MF and switch from our Arctic belt+bow combo back to the Diggler/Milabrega's Shield and our shiny new IK belt. We lost 20% MF, but I couldn't stand using a two-row belt any longer. We also got a much-needed boost to our LR, so really it was a no-brainer. Our resistances are now 75/14/55/13, which I'm pretty happy about. We can also get our LR up to 70 with Steelclash (on switch), so that makes me feel much better about Diablo.

We got a sweet welcome-wagon at the bridge crossings before the CS:

yJywldg.jpg

That's a Conviction-enchanted Urdar boss pack, with a Champion pack of Pit Lords, and a pile of normal enemies to boot. We did NOT want to get caught in an inferno while under conviction, so Azrael did the killing, while Miasma kept Confuse and Attract going constantly while sprinkling in some PN along the way.

The CS itself was easy, but slow. Venom Lords (PsI), and the OK/DK combo made sure that we took things at a slow pace so as to not get overwhelmed. Luckily, Azrael's upped Woestave is still doing good damage so we managed to keep ourselves out of trouble. The seals themselves were harmless. Vizier and his group lasted about 15 seconds, and de Seis one-upped him by lasting about a minute. The Infector took much longer due to being PsI, but he was harmless.

The fight with Diablo was long. That's all there really is to say about it. It can be summed up in a single picture:

g2Jluk1.jpg

Azrael was close enough to not get hit by the LHoD, and decrep + CG + Woestave kept him under wraps. We had to summon a couple more gumbys when D would use his fire ring, but that's about it. Nobody moved from the positions seen above, it took a full 9 minutes to bleed the sucker out. His drop left something to be desired, but what can you do.

All in all a fairly easy act. We were never in a ton of danger, but that might be because I was playing pretty carefully due to having super low LR and a small belt for the most part. Miasma is now having some delicious roasted rabbit with everybody's favourite spit-turning barb in Harrogath before setting out into the cold.

Other finds:
- Maelstrom (Outer Steppes) Cool to see a necro wand, but it's useless for us (other than some extra LR!)

[highlight]Destroyer Miasma the Poison Necromancer, with Azrael the Thorns Guard - lvl 67, NM Harrogath[/highlight]

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High