99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

Well, my trapper had gear like this:

Helm: 1.07 Cham'd Shako
Ammy: 3trap/10fcr amulet (still want prismatic one from 1.07 *_*)
Wpn1: 45IAS 5LS 5DS GT
Wpn2: 6LS/2os GT (relevant mods 32 LR)
Armor: Enigma
Gloves: Magefist (+1 to fire skills makes them better then TO)
Belt: Arach
Rings: 2 x Beta BKWB
Boots: WT

Switch: beta CtA + Lidless (ptopaz)

7 x trap GCs + gheeds
9 x MF/mana SCs (some might even be LR/MF)
Tome of ID and Cube

Merc was HF using Infinity, Fort and Andy's Visage. Tried with beta Delirium but due to way traps work it didn't give anything more then semi-fragile merc. 65 fcr on switch, fade setup, CBF, fastest trap laying speed and great dmg.
My LR was barely positive with fade on, but I had ~5000 life so I could hardly die to anything with ~50% clawblock (one point).

Don't forget that after you cast 5 LS, you can still throw around shock webs as they don't count toward trap limit, but they last only short time so take advantage of those between waves. Fireblast is gg supplement dmg, especially for second and third wave. I use CoS only on wave 3 (you can completely prevent them from spawning hydras with perfect timing but I think it needs to be casted on frame so it's very difficult to me at least). On wave 1 and 2 there isn't huge benefit from CoS and guys just scatter and on 4 I think they are more dangerous with their physical attack. Mindblast only on lister and co but constantly so they are stunned and remain stunned.

I don't know about Baal, I would still go with infinity due to sick dmg boost. I tried to make merc so he could slow Baal (Blackthorn's face and...dunno...double upped Grayform with cold dmg jool? Something like that. But still, I don't know how much slow you need to prevent Baal from teleporting. There might be something here but I haven't found it yet.

If you can't have fastest trap speed I would probably go with fade until I kill everything in throne room, then switch to BoS for waves. If you keep distance their elemental dmg isn't scary.

I have some trap positioning ideas but not sure if you need them. I haven't done too extensive testing on that.

You get res from socketing jewels into your claws or you go with HotO+Spirit if you don't have any decent ones.
Merc should wear WSM 10 Infinity, Treachery and Gaze [Cham].

My guess is that zaphodbrx either a) lacks skill charms and/or b) only played a pure trapper as level 8x thus having a weak fire blast when he tried it.

Is "The ultimate assassin" 1) the build that allows you to mostly hold down right-click swapping skills occasionally when required emphasizing "comfort" when playing from the otherwise mentally taxing and mechanically demanding game that is Diablo 2 or 2) The build that is the most powerful in terms of getting rid of monsters fast with the only compromise being a) restocking your belt now and then from the unique packs you slay and b) occasionally re-positioning yourself to prevent yourself from overheating aforementioned belt?

Actually when I played the pure trapper it was in late 80's but I had a full skiller set. No +5/6 claws but +2/+3 and other standard-ish items.
K/T sin is not a 'hold down right click swap skills' build lol, and the potion thing is only part of why I didn't like it.

My definition for ultimate character goes something like this
1)It should have full versatility, no monster should be parked because it became immune to something. If I wake up and think " I'll visit Pit of Acheron " I should be able to do that with no equipment changes or worrying about what spawns there. Exception may be made for buggy vipers in Halls of vaught.
2)It should have good killspeed on players 8 hell, like, an area should be full cleared in 10 minutes at most.
3)It should have enough survivability and not keep dying.
4)There shouldn't be any nuisances involved, like swapping a bunch of prebuff equipment or having to wait for treachery fade proc. Merc resurrections and constant potion popping fall into this.
5) ( My personal rule ) There shouldn't be any atma-bugging or time travelled items.

So far I have two ultimate characters ( Barb and assassin ), and I'll go for a sept.
The Barb is just a standard WW build with grief and azurewrath, pwns pretty much everything except non-undead PIs have to be berserked, which can get tricky ( specially the PI frenzytaurs ), but it works.
Assassin I already described.

For necro I already have a good character, it is Poison necro with TO set. TO set provides the firewall which is really needed to kill the unbreakable PoI's like gloam ( merc/low level skellies/CE isn't enough at p8 ), but I haven't run this character much. Baal's 4th wave is a problem but infinity+LR brings their fire resist down enough for firewall to do okay.

For pala I think hammerdin is the best probably, with holy bolt to kill MIs, though I'll have to wait for enigma to make one. I would have gone with zealot, but non-undead PIs need to be broken with decrepify and it generally sucks.

Sorc and zon I'm not really sure, though I'll be working on some types of blizzballer and javazon later.

Druid I have no idea, none of their builds seem good to me. Windy might be the best bet, but it's really affected by immunity issues like PI lister.

----

I'm not saying that an ultimate character is the best 99-er or the other way round, just that these were the goals I set for myself on twinked SC. As for the 99 thing, I will go for it at some time, but it will definitely be with k/T sin as that is not only good but different from what others are doing.

The egos in here :/
That said, zaph - this is a 99 theorycrafting thread, so any discussion is going to have that in mind and not whatever arbitrary goals you have for your own chars (even if you declare them).

RE your necro: Have you tried one with Enigma, Infi and spare points in skeles? With max block and minion stack it's very safe and CE supported by Amp and Conviction handles Gloams with ease even at higher player counts.

The egos in here :/
That said, zaph - this is a 99 theorycrafting thread, so any discussion is going to have that in mind and not whatever arbitrary goals you have for your own chars (even if you declare them).

RE your necro: Have you tried one with Enigma, Infi and spare points in skeles? With max block and minion stack it's very safe and CE supported by Amp and Conviction handles Gloams with ease even at higher player counts.

Yes indeed, and I apologize for the excessive of-topicness.
That said I do think k/T sin is a good 99-er candidate and I intend to prove it.

For the necro, I do tele-bombing a lot ( on summoner ), and while it's useful, it can also be extremely dangerous, my necros don't have much life or blocking, sometimes the monsters start hitting the character. Dim vision+ firewall handles them without any problem really, even lower resist isn't needed because conviction brings down the fire resist quite a bit.
Even if telebombing gloams is okay, I would NOT feel comfortable doing it on the Baal's 4th wave and such like.
Another problem with the poison necro is that he can take quite a lot of time to kill the bosses.

Poison necros take forever to kill bosses, but the merc can be a huge help there. "Obedience" runeword has 40% CB, but lacks IAS. Hone Sundan has 45% CB and can be triple Shael'd. With clay golem and/or decrepify, no act boss can really move anyway, so perfectly safe.

Thanks frozz and corr.

I don't have the high resists from claws yet as i still have to shop for the high-end ones. For now i only have +3 trap claws. One question i did have was whether the base also matters as IAS counts towards trap laying speed. But as i see frozzzen has 2 GT's i suspect that is the base i'm looking for.
If i get these claws do i just look for resists or does IAS also help (and if it does, does it matter for both or just main hand claw)?

Was under the impression that shock web counted towards trap limit, so very helpful to know that it doesn't. Also thanks for the general gameplaying tips. I'll try them out. Just not now as i have a MFO to win.

It will be an extremely long journey for a bowazon either way, so you could try out WSK/Baal runs if you want. My guess is you won't be able to kill fast enough to 1) make it more productive than CS, and 2) keep your mercenary alive against certain waves/packs, but it's worth it just if you need the variety.

Yep, I know it will. But I enjoy playing Bowazons more than any other character, and I'm not in any sort of rush.

Jason, if you're gonna run Baal with a bowazon i'd suggest using FA with a back-up of either multi, strafe or guided arrow. With good gear FA makes short work of the waves. Back-up skill is only there for those CI skeletons from wave 2.

Ran a FA/multi zon in the previous MFO (p8/3) and she did surprisingly well. You won't be able to compete in times with a lightning zon, but they're not bad either. It's a very strong and safe build with the right gear. For a while i was thinking of picking her as my next 99-er over my lightningzon, but since she was already so far and originally planned to be my first 99-er i thought she should make it there eventually. Otherwise i might have chosen the bowazon.

Yeap, I have a FA/Strafe Zon running Baal too and she's very safe. Waves melt very fast, Baal is a bit tricky sometimes but 2 rows of mana potions is enough to FA him down. It helps that I somehow managed to dress the moron so Baal attacks him most of the time, before that the mana drain was annoying. Times aren't that fast though, over 4min because I'm running to the throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfyuAi4IlOA

I see you went for Ice RW. Here's something to compare. Mine is FA/multi as stated before and has faith instead of ice.

She's doing Baals now for the MFO (hoping to make lvl 98) and she's gonna stay there afterwards. You're not planning to do another Nihlathak 99er are you? ;)

Yeap, I have a FA/Strafe Zon running Baal too and she's very safe. Waves melt very fast, Baal is a bit tricky sometimes but 2 rows of mana potions is enough to FA him down. It helps that I somehow managed to dress the moron so Baal attacks him most of the time, before that the mana drain was annoying. Times aren't that fast though, over 4min because I'm running to the throne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfyuAi4IlOA

I see you went for Ice RW. Here's something to compare. Mine is FA/multi as stated before and has faith instead of ice.

Impressive stuff. Mind if I ask what your respective gear setups and skill allocations are?\

Also so I'm sure, experience for Big D maxes out at p7 and Baal at p3, right?

Here's what i posted about her in the video thread. Contains her gear/skills and some thoughts on how both could be even better than it is right now.

With the playersetting you are right on both Diablo and Baal.

Artemis' gear is:
Faith matriarchal bow
Enigma
Nightwings veil
LoH
Razortail
Wartravs (She started the MFO with gores, but since CB isn't as effective with ranged attacks i switched to this. Adds some damage which i hoped would compare to gores CB plus i got some MF which is always good during a MFO. To be honest i didn't really feel a difference between the two, so my advice is to go with personal preference.)
Ravenfrost + rare ring with ll and resists
Crafted amu with ml (The one below was the best i had in that respect. Got good ml and some + skills to boost FA. Only downside is no resists.)

Havoc Emblem
Amulet
Required Level: 89
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 95
Fingerprint: 0xa62635a7
+59 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 5%
8% Mana stolen per hit
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Amazon Skill Levels
6% Faster Cast Rate

She only has 1 bow skiller in her backpack. Other charms are there to keep resists at acceptable lvls (fire and lightning are pretty high, cold resist is a little in the red). And a gheeds during the MFO ofc.

Merc has infinity, vamp gaze and duriels (thought about going for fortitude, but i like it if the merc is not frozen).

Artemis' skills are:
20 FA
20 synergy for FA (Is that cold or ice arrow? The one that gives extra damage. The other synergy only adds duration which is virtually nothing as it is cut in half for NM and again for hell.)
20 penetrate
6 pierce (enough combined with razortail)
17 valkyrie (enough for her to get a warpike)
10 multishot

Now i'm pumping guided arrow. Thought about getting more in multishot but each point adds to manacost and i've got enough arrows as it is. More points in multishot only makes it harder to leech back enough mana to keep firing. Extra points in GA adds a bit of damage which helps with picking off those cold immune skelletons of Baals second wave. But feel free to use them elsewhere. Other options could be more points in valk, decoy or maybe even critical strike if you'd like.

Edit: Come to think of it. Maybe you're even better of without gores or war travs. Some boots with good resists could free up inventory space and grant you another 1 or 2 skillers. The added FA damage from that is likely to outway the damage you'd otherwise get from the boots.

Of course I am, it's arguably the fastest way from 98 'til 99 even if you die a couple of times. ATM my Java is at 60% from 98 to 99 and most of that is from Nihl running. I died once without picking up body, and once with.

Nice going, though i think i remember you saying you'd make it before MFO starts. :whistling:

Nihlathak running may very well be the fastest way. However running Baal does give me a better chance to complete my grail.

Impressive stuff. Mind if I ask what your respective gear setups and skill allocations are?\

Also so I'm sure, experience for Big D maxes out at p7 and Baal at p3, right?

Skills&Gear:

Code:
Name:       PewPew
Class:      Amazon
Experience: 2540836835
Level:      95

Naked/Gear
Strength:   88/108
Dexterity:  322/374
Vitality:   140/140
Energy:     15/15
HP:         658/907
Mana:       156/441
Stamina:    298/298
Defense:    80/1347
AR:         1580/2157

Fire:       95/55/-5
Cold:       133/93/33
Lightning:  177/137/77
Poison:     121/81/21

MF:         25       Block:      47
GF:         376
FR/W:       60
FHR:        0
IAS:        60
FCR:        10

Magic Arrow: 1/20
Fire Arrow: 0/0
Cold Arrow: 20/39
Multiple Shot: 1/20
Exploding Arrow: 0/0
Ice Arrow: 1/20
Guided Arrow: 1/20
Strafe: 20/39
Immolation Arrow: 0/0
Freezing Arrow: 20/39

Inner Sight: 1/6
Critical Strike: 18/23
Dodge: 1/6
Slow Missiles: 1/6
Avoid: 1/6
Penetrate: 1/6
Decoy: 1/6
Evade: 1/6
Valkyrie: 14/19
Pierce: 3/8

Jab: 0/0
Power Strike: 0/0
Poison Javelin: 0/0
Impale: 0/0
Lightning Bolt: 0/0
Charged Strike: 0/0
Plague Javelin: 0/0
Fend: 0/0
Lightning Strike: 0/0
Lightning Fury: 0/0

Raven Frost
Ring
Required Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0xfa4e313b
Item Level: 94
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+236 to Attack Rating
Adds 15 - 45 Cold Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)
+20 to Dexterity
+40 to Mana
Cold Absorb 20%
Cannot Be Frozen

Razortail
Sharkskin Belt
Defense: 103
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 32
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x18c7f0b7
Item Level: 88
Piercing Attack
+10 to Maximum Damage
+138% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
+15 to Dexterity
Attacker Takes Damage of (Based on Character Level) 95

Pain Grasp
Vambraces
Defense: 95
Durability: 15 of 16
Required Level: 73
Required Strength: 106
Fingerprint: 0x636fc1f7
Item Level: 56
Version: Expansion
+3 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+40% Enhanced Defense
+18 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 21%
+5 to Mana after each Kill
+2 to Light Radius

Ghoul Spiral
Ring
Required Level: 74
Fingerprint: 0xf145bb9f
Item Level: 95
12% Chance to cast level 4 Nova when struck
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+81 to Attack Rating
6% Mana stolen per hit
+89 to Mana
Poison Resist +26%

Highlord's Wrath
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Fingerprint: 0x7dc9279a
Item Level: 75
+1 to All Skills
Adds 1 - 30 Lightning Damage
35% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
Lightning Resist +35%
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 15

Nightwing's Veil
Spired Helm
Defense: 331
Durability: 38 of 40
Required Level: 67
Required Strength: 96
Fingerprint: 0x953d2d55
100% Chance to cast level 37 Blizzard when you Die
+2 to All Skills
Adds 24 - 38 Cold Damage Over 0 Secs (3 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+19% to Cold Skill Damage
+107% Enhanced Defense
+17 to Dexterity
+5 Cold Absorb
Half Freeze Duration
Requirements -50%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Rainbow Facet

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x814f1700
100% Chance to cast level 37 Blizzard when you Die
Adds 24 - 38 Cold Damage Over 0 Secs (3 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+5% to Cold Skill Damage

Raven Trample
Sharkskin Boots
Defense: 64
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 47
Fingerprint: 0x12f8519e
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+61% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +38%
Lightning Resist +37%
80% Extra Gold from Monsters
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds

Chains of Honor
Wyrmhide
DolUmBerIst
Defense: 661
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 84
Fingerprint: 0x64fd544b
Item Level: 85
+2 to All Skills
+200% Damage to Demons
+100% Damage to Undead
8% Life stolen per hit
+70% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Strength
Replenish Life +7
All Resistances +65
Damage Reduced by 8%
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Dol Rune
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune
Socketed: Ist Rune

Call to Arms
Superior Grand Matron Bow
AmnRalMalIstOhm
Two Hand Damage: 55 - 282
Durability: 27 of 55
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 108
Required Dexterity: 152
Fingerprint: 0x86065896
+1 to All Skills
+40% Increased Attack Speed
293% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Attack Rating
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+5 to Battle Command
+6 to Battle Orders
+2 to Battle Cry
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Amn Rune
Socketed: Ral Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Ohm Rune

Ice
Matriarchal Bow
AmnShaelJahLo
Two Hand Damage: 56 - 132
Durability: 31 of 48
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 87
Required Dexterity: 187
Fingerprint: 0x4f39df69
100% Chance to cast level 40 Blizzard when you Level-Up
25% Chance to cast level 22 Frost Nova on striking
Level 18 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
181% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
-20% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+30% to Cold Skill Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
20% Deadly Strike
296% Extra Gold from Monsters (Based on Character Level)
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Amn Rune
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Lo Rune

Charms:

Code:
Fletcher's Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xe97d60be
+1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
+29 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x7e79d5fb
+30 to Life

Serpent's Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x59036ce
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+16 to Mana

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x831622eb
Item Level: 80
+28 to Life

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6c01a18d
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+14 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1f458794
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+14 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xdce7ec29
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+15 to Mana

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x88ac9533
+27 to Life

Fletcher's Grand Charm of Vita
Grand Charm
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x6a0299ca
+36 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xcdea1624
+29 to Life

Fletcher's Grand Charm of Vita
Grand Charm
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x65b140b6
+40 to Life

Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x456b9089
Item Level: 99
+30 to Life

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xd3175de
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+15 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x51175fa1
Item Level: 87
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+15 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe2e3c224
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+17 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x5231ec44
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+17 to Mana

Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8385fb8b
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+15 to Mana

Amber Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0xd0d98226
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Lightning Resist +10%

Mercenary:

Code:
Name:       Alhizeer
Race:       Desert Mercenary
Type:       Off-Nightmare
Experience: 103981694
Level:      95
Dead?:      false

Naked/Gear
Strength:   204/239
Dexterity:  165/165
HP:         2167/2167
Defense:    1586/3669
AR:         2033/2033

Fire:       159/119/59
Cold:       159/119/59
Lightning:  159/119/59
Poison:    159/119/59

Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Level: 50
Required Strength: 115
Fingerprint: 0x8175db3a
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+12 to Maximum Damage
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
+120% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Strength
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Vermilion Jewel of Fervor

Infinity
Superior Thresher
BerMalBerIst
Two Hand Damage: 84 - 987
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0x2b6c5afb
Item Level: 99
Version: Expansion
50% Chance to cast level 20 Chain Lightning when you Kill an Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
368% Enhanced Damage
-48% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
+47 to Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30/30 Charges)
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Mal Rune

Chains of Honor
Archon Plate
DolUmBerIst
Defense: 1866
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Strength: 93
Fingerprint: 0xfdef75e2
+2 to All Skills
+200% Damage to Demons
+100% Damage to Undead
8% Life stolen per hit
+70% Enhanced Defense
+20 to Strength
Replenish Life +7
All Resistances +65
Damage Reduced by 8%
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Dol Rune
Socketed: Um Rune

Nice characters. I especially love the CtA in an Amazon Bow. That's worth about 1,000,000 style points. I'm happy with my Multi-only setup at the moment, which owns CS, but there'll be plenty of time before I reach level 99 to switch things up again for about the 6th or 7th time (I'm a respec junkie). I used to wonder whether it was even possible to run Baal with a Bowazon. Seems it's quite possible.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High