99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

I'd choose p1/p7 Diablo over Baal for 98-99. No need for Infinity, only strong merc for taking care of CI Seal bosses. You might want to take extra care for De Seis pack, they're VERY dangerous if they get you in melee range.

@Corrupted Thanks for the vid, nice trick.

"Guils, Gores, Grief MH and Enigma"

What's MH?

The portal to Pindle still closes if you take the Halls Of Pain WP?

Even if it does, I suppose it's not a big deal on a character that's not meant for MF.

So I toyed around a bit with the baal-running necromancer.

First I tried the plain summoner build that Tupsi has been doing well with and then I decided to give a variant of usamahanas' build a shot:
Essentially a poison necro with 1 pt in all curses, 1 in iron golem+summon mastery+skeleton mastery and maxed raise skeleton. The remaining points can be invested in either CE, Skeleton Mastery or Lower Resistances, CE being the clear favorite in my book as you gotta make sure the few corpses you get in baalruns will hit as many targets as possible.

I aimed for 50 FCR and then maximizing poison damage while maintaining the essentials on other areas but with fairly standard equipment. The real difference between this build and what usamahanas used to work with; a much higher performance merc because of 'Infinity', 'Fortitude' and a 'Beast' Iron Golem. In theory you then have a merc similar to what a pure summoner has while the skeletons are weaker (but still reasonably decent) while you have a 9-10k PNova and in this case -126 EPR. I didn't try out the original 3-parts Trang-Oul's that usamahanas recommended because it puts much strain on your already limited resistances while making it harder to reach 50 FCR which I consider the minimum.
If you have a +2 or +3/20 FCR/2 socket circlet you may be able to pull off the triple Trang-Oul for an additional -25 EPR while maintaining 50 FCR and reasonable resistances.

I found it very hard to go below 3:30 with this build. Much to my surprise as I think he can clean pre-waves a bit faster, kill baal a bit faster and should have less issues with Listers gang.
As long as Lister isn't aura-enchanted the skeletons survived just fine. The pack still took quite long to kill even with a 10k PNova, I would have to go back and try out the Trang-Oul combo to see if those last -25% EPR really make enough of a difference.
Wave 4 is not really as much of an issue as you might think, you play like the way you would with a pure summoner; stack your group with a teleport and hope to kill a minion or two as fast as possible to get the CE rolling.
While the build may be more reliable against Lister it definately has some cons:

a) 'Beast' Iron Golem is a bit risky with no real skills left over for Golem Mastery but I think its fairly mandatory to have a merc that can handle W4 properly.
b) Not enough skills which means 1 pt golem mastery, mediocre skeletons and possibly a lack of CE radius with no or a very weak Bone Armor.
c) Less flexiblility both in terms of skills and equipment; less room for MF in itemslots & sockets.
d) A bit more difficult/confusing to play as you have two main curses and two different attacks

Conclusion: Overall I would say it seems inferior to a properly equipped and played raw summon necro, I would have to test further with a circlet/Trang-Oul combo to be totally convinced however.

---

Now with that out of the way I want to dive deeper into the optimization of a pure summoner.

Skills?
The core of 20 points into Raise Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery and Corpse Explosion along with 1 point in the OPW's leaves you with ~30 skills to spare at the higher levels. In my opinion there are two options only: Bone Wall for the Bone Armor synergy and Golem Mastery if you're making an Iron Golem out of an expensive runeword. If that's the case you should make sure you wear as much +summoning skills/golem mastery items as possible when you first summon it; ideally a +5 or 6 magic wand, skill shrine, 10 skill charms etc.

Items?
There are two aspects here. One part is what you put on your necromancer and the other is what you use on your minions - the Town Guard and your Iron Golem.
The mercenary obviously has to wear Infinity, ideally in a Great Poleaxe, while the helm and armor slots aren't completely set in stone. If you want the fastest possible baalruns you want a 'Cham' Guillaume's Face and either Fortitude or Treachery for the armor slot.
I haven't done enough sample runs to completely determine which of the armors is better as the amount of crushing blows performed on baal is fairly random. One minor issue though is that your mercenary won't have maxed resistances with 'Cham' Guillaume's and Treachery if Fade hasn't procced. If your Infinity is in a different polearm then it becomes a bit more clear with Treachery favored for the slower polearms and Fortitude favored for the faster ones.
One thing is for certain though: Your mercenary should have Cannot Be Frozen from his helmet. That is Kira's Guardian if you don't have a Cham to socket in GFace which I would prioritize over making the Pride runeword for an Iron Golem.

As for the character itself you can go with a fairly standard setup with 50 FCR that allows a good chunk of MF:
'Beast' non-ethereal
'Enigma'
Harlequin Crest 'Perfect Topaz'
Homunculus 'Perfect Topaz' or 'Um'
Mara's
Trang-Oul's gloves or Magefist
Arachnid Mesh
War Traveler
SoJ/BKWB
Rare/Crafted FCR ring

If you have the right circlet you may want to ditch the MF from Harlequin Crest and War Traveler in favor of squeezing out slightly faster runs:
Ideally it should have +2 necro, 20 FCR and the Visionary prefix. Couple this with a Ravenfrost instead of a +skill ring, a crafted pair of Gloves and either Gore Rider or Goblin Toe and you should be able to apply a decent amount of Crushing Blow to Baal yourself.

As for the golem there are a few choices with the ideal probably being an Iron Golem made out of a Pride polearm.
If you cannot afford such luxury there are some other options:
a) Use Fire/Clay Golem instead; The aura of the Fire Golem may allow you to activate the monsters in the throne room slightly faster and the Clay Golem allows you to use Amplify damage instead of Decrepify versus Baal.
b) Iron Golem made from Immortal King's Stone Crusher or similar for the Crushing Blow
c) Insight Iron Golem for the lazy as you should have enough time to pick up mana potions during Baalruns.

Gameplay strategy?

Before wave #1:
Teleport to the center of the room and spawn a Bone Wall to get the attention of any monsters, avoid getting decrepify on merc. Use Bone Prison or Attract against dolls if necessary.

Before all waves you should try to stack your minions with a teleport right at the last second and then quickly walk right to tank the Decrepify.

Wave #1:
Amplify -> target Colenzo -> Confuse -> summon skeletons from the remaining minions.

Wave #2:
Target skeletons with stack and blast away with CE.

Wave #3:
A properly timed Dim Vision will prevent all Bartucs' minions from casting Hydra but you still need to finish off Bartuc before he summons one, a scenario that is nearly impossible.
Otherwise you simply use the extra time provided by the Hydras to clear the whole wave without using CE in order to use the corpses to summon the Skeletons you may be missing.

Wave #4:
Teleport to the middle of the room. Amplify -> Terror -> Confuse when you have isolated Ventar. Possibly use Bone Prison to keep the minions away. Rejoice as you Wave 5 incoming with lots of Balrog corpses.

Wave #5:
Stack your minions and target one of Lister's Minions while avoiding Decrepify. If Wave #4 was done properly this one is a piece of cake.

Baal:
Teleport -> Decrepify -> Amplify if you have a Clay Golem and Baal was slowed by it otherwise maintain Decrepify and use normal attack yourself for the chance of applying Crushing Blow from 'Beast' if nowhere else.

Now lets see some more sub-3 minute runs!

"If that's the case you should make sure you wear as much +summoning skills/golem mastery items as possible when you first summon it; ideally a +5 or 6 magic wand, skill shrine, 10 skill charms etc."

IIRC Iron Golem is resummoned every time you enter the new game.

Is this in SC or HC?

I am not a fan of summoner builds, I'd rather go for Pit-running Novamancer. Reaching 98 that way shouldn't be much slower than Baal-running.

EDIT: Btw, Lister and his gang have 95% poison res.

The hydras from wave 3 can be converted to your side by reviving the council members. Of course it's all in vain if the hydra with the longest lifespan was cast by Bartuc. I usually CE the first few corpses and when the rest are pretty much dead, start reviving until I hit the council member that owns the last standing hydra.

I like to cast a bunch of bone walls after wave 3 to make a really big MMA cage, then Amplify and Terror until Ventar is clear to telestomp.

Pretty sure Iron Golem sticks between games. Otherwise there'd be zero point ever making one from an expensive runeword.

It is resummoned at the start of each game. So if you really want to, you can have equipped all the + summoning stuff you need for him before exiting the game. For this reason, it's pointless to worry about buffing the golem like crazy when you first make it.

At the start of each game the golem is summoned using the item you made him from, and your current level of skills and +skills in the appropriate skills. This happens every time

Do people save Nihl for 98-99 just so they can do pindle if they want? Is nihl faster xp than baal?

Depends on the runner, but recent effort but someone (oops I somehow forgot who!) shows that it can be quite a bit faster on lite sorcs, and even barbs iirc.

Do people save Nihl for 98-99 just so they can do pindle if they want? Is nihl faster xp than baal?

Nihl is faster only for 98-99, because at L98 only Baal, Diablo and Nihlithak give experience. You can do p1 waves/CS followed by p7/p3 Diablo/Baal but it's probably still slower than Nihl who doesn't have any seal bosses or wave mechanics.

Depends on the runner, but recent effort but someone (oops I somehow forgot who!) shows that it can be quite a bit faster on lite sorcs, and even barbs iirc.

So I should try nihl? I don't do pindle on my lite sorc anymore

I'm currently pondering starting going for 99 with a Tesladin (certainly -ideally- a melee paladin build). At the moment, he's only in the Rogue Camp at the start of normal, so he has a bit of a journey ahead of him.

So:
Do people think a Tesladin would handle the challenges of the 99 as a build? I'm looking at a pure damage skill distribution build.
Would a Crescent Moon PB/BA do the damage fast/hard enough?

I've run WSK/Baal at p8 with all sorts of zealers, including tesla dins. It's doable, but not fast or easy imo.
What sort of build/items you have in mind?

Well, I'll be looking to make an Enigma if possible. I'd ideally like to use Crescent Moon (simply because it's my favourite runeword), but I'm pretty flexible here. Of course Stormlash if I can find one. I'd probably make an Exile shield.

Obviously as much DS/CB as I can cram on there.

The items I use will, of course, depend on what I can find/make.

The skills I see more like this:
20 holy shock
20 lighting resistance
20 zeal
20 sacrifice
10 or so in holy shield
1pt in Vigor

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High