99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

As for the character itself you can go with a fairly standard setup with 50 FCR that allows a good chunk of MF:
'Beast' non-ethereal
'Enigma'
Harlequin Crest 'Perfect Topaz'
Homunculus 'Perfect Topaz' or 'Um'
Mara's
Trang-Oul's gloves or Magefist
Arachnid Mesh
War Traveler
SoJ/BKWB
Rare/Crafted FCR ring

I'd switch out homunculus for boneflame (1 more skill). And if you got a good craft you could switch mara's for a crafted amu and FCR with another soj/bkwb. That's another extra +skill while keeping the same cast rate.

"Beast" isn't close to as effective with summoners as one would think, because of the mechanics of skellies:

1 - They have a 15 frame cooldown after an attack; IAS does not help this, only their actual attack animation.
2 - the %ED from RS is counted as "skill" damage; thus their base damage is MUCH lower than the damage shown when hovering over the skill, and aura damage adds far less damage than one would expect.
3 - Skeletons have quite decent AR, and benefit little from the AR bonus of fanat

I'd rather use a Blade of Ali Baba than beast, and that's after trying this with my 1.10 "Beast" BA...

helvete:

the beast is there to increase merc performance, skeletons are just tanks for the most part.
As for the skeletons, they complete an attack much faster with fanaticism on, when telebombing a target to kill it in one hit, that's all that matters, and the difference is very noticeable.

Singer literally would take till 2050, no doubt.

Didn't know a teslot 99 was done, nice read. What was even more amazing is the fact that he did it in the IM days, with no enigma and in hardcore.

As I am considering another 99er myself, I started looking at just what HAS been done before...thought I might throw this up for people like EmperorMoo and others who would prefer something that hasn't already been done...
Code:
Class       #99's  Build(s)
Assassin      1    LS/FB Trapper
Barbarian     1    Wolfbarb
Druid         1    Windy
Necromancer   1    Fishymancer
Amazon        5    Furyzons
Paladin      10    7 Hammerdins, 1 Tesladin, 1 Schaeferdin, 1 Vengance
Sorceress    12    5 Blizz, 7 Lightning
I know that scrcrw is getting close with a Zerk barb, and Tupsi and Cyrax with summon Necros, but the other close runners (lvl 97-98 and making recent progress) seem to be more lite sorcs and hammerdins...which are the builds with the most completed 99ers (currently tied at 7 each)

WoRG

Didn't know a teslot 99 was done, nice read. What was even more amazing is the fact that he did it in the IM days, with no enigma and in hardcore.

That's just showing off, IMO.

@WoRG: that's really helpful, thanks!

I would like to do (or tbh, sort-of attempt) something that hasn't been done. I had half a mind to do a Frenzybarb, but I'm not so much of a fan of barbs as I am of paladins, and I do always find Frenzy a bit hard to control - I guess that's the point really.

Hmm maybe not just the build can be different but the journey can also be.

What would you say about a 99er zealot that ran 1.07 p1 Trav until he got brain damaged? :p
(or a WWer, mine is 97 atm)

(I'm currently around 100h with him - lvl95, slower in first levels but faster in later levels, the total time in the end *should* be around same as 1.13 average/good baal runner - and thinking or switching to 1.07 p8 Cows cause I'm really starting to... dunno... get really bored?)

Wouldn't a 1.13 Baal Barb take, like, a lot longer than ~130-140 hours? Like.. A lot longer?

No idea how long would 1.13 Baal Barb would take, or Nihly/CS one (but I bet that a barb would not run baal in 98->99 since he can run Nihly safely and fast). But 1.07 Barb doesn't probably take less than 180~185h in p1 1.07 trav. So he is not faster than the best 1.13 baal runners. Same can be said for Pally.

Wait, so for running Nihl, people just teleport to him, kill him, S&E, lather, rinse, and repeat? Only issue is protecting yourself from CE, and you can do that my keeping merc dmg low to prevent bodies, wearing a Nature's Peace to prevent anything you kill from leaving a body, and getting to him very, very fast?

What about a tele-smiter /w decent FCR, fire res/absorb and PDR%? Tele to Nihl, smite and kb/stun him, game over?

Also, for the bowazons running CS, are you teleporting via Enigma and then switching to Fort once you land and clear some space?

I imagine a barb could do very well at CS, using a Grief/Beast/Enigma combo with enough AR/DS/CB to effectively cut down Big D.

Nihl cant be stunned. I have no trouble killing him with a barb even w/o teleport, just howl everything a way and dont use a merc.

I dont know why someone would tele then switch to fort, just kill everything on the way. Bowazons aren't head hunters when it comes to MF, they're area clearers.

Barbs rock at CS use howl and other cries liberally and you only have to kill 3 seal bosses and D.

Yeah, you tele to nihl and instant howl, then max synergy-berserk his face off! CE is least concern because of 5k lifebulb but as usual vipers are always a danger.

Yeah, you tele to nihl and instant howl, then max synergy-berserk his face off! CE is least concern because of 5k lifebulb but as usual vipers are always a danger.
That was my main concern re: running Nihl - the vipers. I can see how folks would use a Delerium helm on their merc or something similar, but what to do re: vipers? Max poison res and hope for the best?

Here's my earlier post on Nihlathak running with a Barbarian for reference.

It's the physical damage from the poison clouds that actually kills you. PDR is pretty much the only option to neutralize them or at least make them less dangerous. Delirium helps a lot, my merc actually survives fine with 0 pdr (maybe 1 death in 100 runs).

Another self-plug: p1/7 CS runs with a Berserker. Not as efficient as Nilly (probably close with exp shrine hunting), but much less monotonous.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High