[2019] [Tournament] Ability Scrolls Sept [by Chaostar]

2 more characters joined the others on the way to Lut Golhein !

Absu (Assassin)

Unlocked traps tree.
Everything went fine : I deal nice dmg with my claw, then with shock web.
Took my time to kill as many monsters as possible.
I Found a set item.
Screenshot044.jpg

The countess was easily slained, at lvl 10, gave me 3 more wisdom tokens.
In the barracks, as things were begining to get harder, I reached lvl 12 and unlocked Wake of Fire. Dmg is great, I'll chose that skill to be upgraded.

The end of the act was easy, Andariel killed without problem.
Screenshot046.jpg

picked scroll :
62 Mulligan : You can put back in the draw pool all your (unplayed) ability scroll in your hand and draw the same number of scroll minus 1

Manes (Amazon)

Didn't know what to do with her.
After some thinking, I went for a classic javazon.
Abslutely no diffculty for her in this act : she unlocked javelin & spears tree, ugraded power strike to lvl5, and if was enough to run through the act.

Andariel gave a set helm.
Screenshot047.jpg

I'll have to unlock soon the +1 set item scroll, almost every char dropped a set (useful or not...) :D

And most of all, i'm REALLY happy with the random number that gave me that scroll :
122 You can hire / resurect / heal a mercerary and equip him following your characters abilities

THIS is a scroll I like to have before entering the clax viper temple or fighting Duriel :p

Now, I have 9 WT, no new scroll activated, I 'm wating for the 7th char to decide what to do....

Now, last char, what would it be ? I don't like necros, so maybe... another sorceress ?

Chaostar said:
Now, last char, what would it be ? I don't like necros, so maybe... another sorceress ?
But Necromancer is quite powerful and fast - I am in the Cathedral right now and it's a breeze. Shop a SM/RS wand, put 5 pts in RS and you have an army that kills everything in seconds at /p1... :) I forgot how powerful minions and skills are if you don't play at /p8 xD

Last edited:
I don't know, I started a HC sept some months ago, the summoner was a pain in my ass to play, didn't like it, the worm 's lair was a nightmare with those stupid skeletons...
Mabe a bonemancer ? or poison nova ? what do you think ? I don't really know what those are like... ?

At P1 a bonemancer can be fun. Towards the end their damage is a little lacking. Generally pretty safe though with the synergized bone armor and bone prison/walls for crowd control. I actually have one started outside of this tourney. Poisonmancers are good too, a little less safe I think but better late game damage potential. Summoner is pretty powerful too, though I agree, maggot lair is painful....i think mix of skele mages with skeles works better there than straight skeles...very safe though and what I will be making for this tourney. Of course all builds do better with corpse explosion wonder :)

Thanks CaseyJones !
I'll have to think seriousely about that 7th character :)

Grisu said:
one more question:

What about white items granting a bonus to a passive skill like Axe Mastery? Are those allowed or only if you activated the corresponding Skill tree?

Sorry, I didn't read this : hard one, I didn't think about that ! ^^
By reading the involved rules, I would say it's not allowed as long as you don't have the masteries tree unlocked, you shouldn't be allowed to use that skill.

It makes me thing : it 's not written but it was obvious in my mind : normal attack and throw item are allowed to every character.

Last edited:
Chaostar said:
Thanks CaseyJones !
I'll have to think seriousely about that 7th character :)
Well, Bonemancer and Poisonmancer will be difficult, because you need to get lots of skill scrolls to make it work - you need lots of hard points in synergies. Your best bet (especially since you may use a merc) is Corpse explosion. Even 1 hard point lets you finish most of the game at /p1 as long as you can get the first kill with your merc.

Chaostar said:
Sorry, I didn't read this : hard one, I didn't think about that ! ^^
By reading the involved rules, I would say it's not allowed as long as you don't have the masteries tree unlocked, you shouldn't be allowed to use that skill.

Well, that is a shame, because then +X to all skills is off limit, too, I guess?

Last edited:
Grisu said:
Well, that is a shame, because then +X to all skills is off limit, too, I guess?
Isn't that different because +all skills only improves your current skills(hard points and from items), while +x to a specific passive skill would grant you the benefits of the skill without otherwise having access to the skill? I phrased it as a question because I dare not be dead sure after such a long hiatus, but I always though that is how it works.

Edit: very jealous of your (merc)scroll drop @Chaostar

Last edited:
zarfen is right. The only way you are allowed to use a skill (active skill, passive skill or mastery) is :
- initiations scrolls, allowing to put 1 pt max and use every skill from one tree
- scroll 21, 68... alowing to use skill granted by an object

Since I didn't post screenshots from Venus finishing Act 1, here's Andy's Death Thralls:
VenusNormAndyDeath.jpg

After that, she rolled a 31 - You can equip any charm with fire resistance (added to scrolls inventory for now)

On to Mars the Barbarian:
Mars takes out Countess:
MarsCountessDropNormal.jpg
At this point, spent 2 tokens to unlock scroll 1 (Str/Dex) and scroll 7 (unlock 1 skill tree)
Total points earned: 6, total spent: 6 at this point.
Decided to unlock the Combat skills tree with 1 point in bash - Think I will work towards Berserker on this char mostly for post tourney use.

Slew Griswold without issue, walked up, slapped him around a bit:
MarsGriswoldNormal.jpg

Through the last part of the act I walked by a lot, mainly relied on Strangling Gas potions due to low hit chances, decided to do the throwing knife deal with Andy here as well and......triumphed!
MarsAndyDeathNormal.jpg

Andy drop:
MarsAndyDropNormal.jpg

Gems, lots of rares, haven't seen a set item or unique yet. With Act 1 complete at Character level 11 - rolled:
108 - You can give up any number of Ability Scroll and get 2 Wisdom Token by scroll (discarded Ability scrolls are destroyed)
Added that to the scoll inventory for now, may be useful later
At this point I wondered why I went with the Amazon first, the Barb was quite a breeze in comparison. Then remembered 1, I wanted to be different (everyone else so far started with Barb ;) ) and 2, remembering my early days of Diablo I and II where I used bows a ton, and started with an Amazon

Next up, Mercury the Paladin
Rescued Cain :
MercuryCainRescuedNormal.jpg

As you can see here, I opted for the Combat tree on the paladin as well, 1 point in Smite and 1 in holy bolt so far - Destined to be a hammerdin, we'll see how that plays out with the tourney restrictions :)

Countess dropped easily to a few poison potions, only a single rune though :(
MercuryCountessDropNormal.jpg
Not unlocking any additional scrolls yet - main skill needs lvl 18 and no point in 5 to smite or holy bolt - 3 WT stashed

Made my way through the catacombs, where I found a nice morning star weapon upgrade (socketed, grey - not pictured)
Mercury seemed to do slightly better with hit chance vs zombies so used the morning start on zombies, poison potions on everything else
Catacombs, level 3 was rough though, ran into 3 separate packs of Unique/Minion undead vampires. High poison resist, hard to hit, ended up having to run past all of them. I used up a whole pack of posion potions and only managed 1 minion death.
The paladin is slightly more squishy or I was playing a bit more careless now that I had more stats unlocked but I had a couple closer to death experiences, I think down to around 20 hp, that I didn't have with the other 2 so far.

Was going to do the throwing knife slaying of Andy here too but had spent all of my stat points and still had the default 20 dex, need 21 for the knives. Looked at my options at Charsi and then felt exceptionally dumb. Javelins do more thrown damage and have no stat requirements. Three cheers for doing stuff the hard way! Hear hear!

Anyway, using superior javelins bought from Charsi, it took 2 trips to town to replenish quantity and allowed me to prevail!
(nearly identical shot to Mars above)
MercuryAndyDeathNormal.jpg

And the drop:
MercuryAndyDropNormal.jpg

Still no sets or uniques, even though I couldn't use them anyway it is a little disappointing.
Act 1 complete at level 12....rolled and hit the jackpot!
MercuryRollAct1Normal.jpg
144 - You can modify at will monsters' strength (access to /players command)

Spending the 3 stached WT to unlock this scroll now!

Here is my current tracking sheet...I haven't yet broke down and made a spreadsheet, this is simple and works for now to keep things straight...
eventually there will be too much data
Code:
Mercury - Paladin    Act 1 Complete, lvl 12, Rolled 144
Venus - Amazon        Act 1 Complete, lvl 12, Rolled 31
Mars - Barbarian    Act 1 Complete, Lvl 11, Rolled 108
Jupiter - Druid        Not Started
Saturn - Sorceress    Not Started
Uranus - Assassin    Not Started
Neptune - Necromancer    Not Started

Wisdom Tokens Earned: 9
Wisdom Tokens Available: 0
Wisdom Tokens Spent: 9

Scrolls Inventory:

Scrolls Earned:
31, 108, 144

Scrolls Purchased/Consumed:
1, 2, 7, 144

Abilities unlocked:
2-You can place attributes points in VITALITY or ENERGY (2 WT)
1-You can place attributes points in STRENGTH or DEXTERITY (2 WT)
7-Initiation : pick 1 skill tree (per character) : You can put only 1 pt in any skill from that tree, and use it (2 WT)
144-You can modify at will monsters' strength (access to /players command) (3 WT)

Next up - Uranus the Assassin, destined to be a Phoenix Striker

Some thoughts on the tourney:
Enjoying it so far, definitely easier with a few things unlocked now but enjoying playing with the randomized restrictions. It makes everyone's play thrus that much more different. It is forcing me to use items I previously haven't much. Throwing knives, poison potions...those used to just be vendor fodder for me and I never realized their actual worth. Especially the potions, really useful in Act 1 normal.

One question I haven't seen answered yet:
The ability scrolls are unique - so what happens if you roll the same number twice. Do you re-reroll, or take the next available scroll lower, or the next available scroll higher? I would imagine you would re-roll but wanted to be sure. It hasn't happened yet for me but with the 115 total rolls if each character completes act V hell, I'm sure it will happen several times.

I think there is another question rattling around in my head at the moment but it keeps running and hiding when I try to pull it up :p

So far, quite fun! That may change with bad scroll rolls or lack of WT down the road though :p

Last edited:
Damn, nice progress @CaseyJones! Super jealous of your latest scroll drop of course as well. Should make sure you can level enough for the late game, if gimped characters with just a handful skill points can handle higher /p settings that is ;)

Edit: regarding rolling a scroll twice: @Chaostar phrased it in the rules as that you have a deck of scrolls where a drawn scroll leaves the deck so it can’t be drawn twice. Actually randomizing with previously drawn scrolls removed seems tricky and tiresome compared to the sleek and quick entry to random.org start page so I suggest to just reroll in that case and just pretend the double roll didn’t happen. At least for the early game when we have most of them left in the deck. I’m sure there’s a randomizer out there(maybe even on random.org) that lets you remove numbers from the draw but I don’t know where

Hi guys, great to read your progress ! :)
about the scroll draw :
- you can redrax if the ID already happened before. That's what I do now. But it will become harder, when we'll have only 20 scrolls in the pool, we may spend 5 minutes to this
- so, another way, including a dedicated spreadsheet :

* at the beginning you have a spredsheet with all the scrolls, from 1 to 155, one on each row
* when a scroll is rolled, remove its row from this sheet. So you have 154 rows, 154 scrolls
* next time, randomize between 1 to 154, and take the scroll refering to that rows. and repeat.

So the idea is to pull the row number and not the scroll ID. Same result, but as you reduce the random range each time, you always find a new scroll.

Not much progress for me to report since Friday's push. I've started a druid who has killed the countess and cleared everything up until the tamoe highland. Still have 6 WTs unused since I don't think I know what to spend it on next.

I have played very little of the druid class and next to nothing with shapeshifting skills, so I decided to give a werebear a try (shockwave is the best spell in the game and all, according to @Grisu). So far I do really not like the playstyle and he has instead flung more green potions than any of my other characters so far. I wish I had picked elemental or summoning right now, but it'll be a new experience so we'll see how he evolves.

I'm terrified that he will die from morphing back to his human form in the middle of a nasty boss pack.

How many skill trees and/or skill points do you guys plan for? Or do you just wing it and take it as it comes? Apart from the druid where I just really wanted to try shapeshifting, I have tried to think about what tree's will be the most useful if I only ever get to unlock 2 (or even 1!), as well as trees with skills that work well without 20pts + maxed synergies.

@zarfen: Well, Shockwave is good and all, but in wereform you really need some IAS or he swings at 19 to 23 frames...so, for this tournament, a summoner might acutally be better, depending on what ability scrolls you get...

I planned for desaster and chose primarily skills that either function without much skill point investment or without synergies, so for now I have these builds in mind:

Amazon: Bows, probably some mixture of Exploing or Immolation Arrwo with FA and/or Strafe
Sorceress: Fire Wall/Frozen Orb
Druid: Hunter/Summoner
Necromancer: Summoner
Barb: No clue yet, probably no singer xD
Paladin: Some kind of Holy Freez/Holy Shock Paladin
Assassin: Not sure yet, maybe Phoenix Striker? Or trapper (Death Sentry)?

Speaking of progress:
Three more characters defeated Andariel:

3) Pugsley, the Druid
4) Gomez, the Necromancer
5) Grandmama, the Sorceress

Pugsley went third after Lurch (Barb) and Fester (Paladin). Funnily enough, one of the first drops was a cracked Scepter, which sped things up until I had the 350 Gold for a regular Scepter (so, for about 5 mins :p )

Soon the path to Hunter/Summoner was taken, and glad was I for that:
Screenshot007 (1).jpg
Screenshot009 (1).jpg
Screenshot010.jpg
Screenshot012.jpg
Screenshot013.jpg
Screenshot014.jpg

Doing full clears, this constellations of stairs wasn't as useful as one might think...
Screenshot011.jpg

Andariel was toughter than with my Paladin, but I positioned my merc in a safe spot, and Andariel was history.
Screenshot015.jpg
Screenshot016 (1).jpg
Funny Single Player pic:
Screenshot017 (1).jpg

Pugsley reached level 17, too, and I'm not sure yet whether to take Dire Wolf or Grizzly for my first Apprentice levels. Probably Dire Wolves to get me through Act II, and hope for more ability scrolls that open up skills later,

Rolled #141: you can equip any set boots...
Cashed in #6 for apprenticeship for my next character: Gomez the Necromancer
(new post required, only 10 screenshots allowed...)

Last edited:
Gomez, the Necromancer, started his journey and immediately started placing points in Raise Skeleton and Skeleton MAstery, declaring Raise Skeleton as his apprenticeship skill.
This left me with 3 minions to kill Blood Raven for me.
Screenshot019.jpg
The number increased once I shopped my +2RS/+3SM wand and after I found a Skull with +2 RS, netting me a total of 5 Skeletons. Annoying fact: pressing the weapon switch button kills 4 of them o_O

Gameplay was a breeze - A Summoner even with low skill levels is amazingly quick and safe early on, and there were no NDEs whatsoever on the horizon, despite HF boss packs, LE boss packs or simply Skeletons vs. Skeletons brawls.
Screenshot020.jpg
Screenshot021.jpg
Screenshot022.jpg

I didn't even have to reraise Skeletons against Andariel, though she killed one during the fight.
Screenshot029.jpg
Screenshot030.jpg

I saved the 3 WTs and rolled
#26 you can equip 1 item with IAS mode (at the cost of 6 WTs!!??!?!? what??? :eek:;)

Next up was Grandmama, the sorceress, planning to be a FW/FO Sorc that can work with less skill points than any other Sorc build. Was thinking about taking the Lightning tree for Static Field and Teleport instead, but wasn't to keen on having to rely on Lightning skills throughout the whole game with an uncertain number of skill points to spend...

She was actually more of a chore to play with only one point in Firebolt and a shopped +3 Firebolt staff. Once I reached level 12, Blaze and Fireball opened up new possibilities and I shopped two new staves: one with +3 Blaze, one with +3 Fireball, so her ressources took quite a dip. I didn*t find a staff with both mods on it unfortunately...

Even with Fireball, encounters like this were quite painful:
Screenshot003 (1).jpg

Andariel on the other hand died quickly to spammed Fireballs, due to her abysmal Fire Resistance:
That Crushflange drop looks promising...at least for any other character who actually can use melee weapons :p
Screenshot008.jpg

I saved the 3 WTs and rolled
#128 you know all runeword recipes

Woot! Now I only need to know how to

a) socket items and
b) use runeword items

Sounds like a piece of cake :D

Anyways, next up is Wednesday, the Amazon, and then Morticia, the Assassin. I'll keep you updated! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
@Grisu, nice progress!
Where do you get such sturdy rogues...mine seem to be dropping from fly bites alone ;)

I am counting on luck to help flesh out my builds into something workable. I didn't spend as much time planning it out so I wouldn't need synergies :)

Quick text update...Uranus the Assassin just reached outer cloister waypoint after taking out countess. Spent the 3 WT to apprentice fists of fire for her, haven't decided on the others chars yet. She's now level 16 I believe. The damage boost is much needed at players 8. I can tell I won't be able to stay at high player settings real long without some amazing luck just due to kill speed issues with all the skill and gear restrictions. Maybe spending the WT on it now wasn't the best idea...still nice to get those early game levels without much increase in difficulty for the stats and hit chance. Doesn't help much with skills and gear though since those aren't unlocked yet.

As for sorc, I had intended to go fire route..figured I would go fireball but it escaped me that teleport would be locked until my next skill tree scroll....don't know if I can handle that! ;) (I know teleport staves are available in act 3 normal on.) Might still be enough to make me choose the light tree.

Fun to read your progress!

Time for the last member of the family to go :
Didn't want to, but a necro it will be.

Screenshot048.jpg

SepticFlesh unlocked Poison & Bones immediately.
Start was piece of cake, but coldcrow's frost nova almost killed me, even if I was not really close to her !

Screenshot049.jpg

something strange happened when I met the countess : she came out of her treasure room to fight me.
Screenshot050.jpg

After her death, the chest never opened.
Screenshot051.jpg

Still, I get 3 more WT. I have 12 saved, and decide later what to do with it.

In the barracks, I found myself trapped between 3 walls a a huge pack on monsters / fireball thrower skeletons. I had to save & exit for the 1st time, couldn't move anymore. I'm starting to regret my character & skill choice :(
Anyway, I started a new game ans ran to the point I was trapped and went right to the jail stairs.

When I arrived the catacomb, I had more and more difficulty to face large groups of monsters. I decided to use the spell allowing me to hire a mercenary, I'll use it soon anyway. It may be useful to split the attackers in two packs, maybe kill some…
So I spent 3 WT, and hire Visala the cold arrow rogue, gave her regular stuff.
And then it was muuch better !
But facing Andariel's poisonous breath, I was alone. It was a lame fight, her poison was really better than mine, so I had to go to town more that 10 times
She died eventually.
Screenshot052.jpg

Scroll gained :
152 Initiation : pick 1 skill tree (per character) : You can put only 1 pt in any skill from that tree, and use it
Nice one, even if I would have prefered a skill improvement scroll, but it's ok.

So, everybody made it through act 1 !
The harder part was the first char, for sure.
The druid and the necro were really scary too, they won't begin actII for sure.

Family :

Remaining WT : 9

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Char        | Class     | Lvl | Act       | Initiated tree | Skills                 |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Mayhem      | Barb      |  11 | A2 Normal | ?              | ?                      |
| Empyrium    | Pal       |  11 | A2 Normal | Combat         | ?                      |
| Anathema    | Sorc      |  12 | A2 Normal | Cold           | Ice blast (*)          |
| Ulver       | Druid     |  11 | A2 Normal | Shapeshift     | Lycanthropy (*)        |
| Absu        | Assassin  |  13 | A1 Normal | Traps          | Wake of fire (*)       |
| Manes       | Amazon    |  13 | A1 Normal | Jav & spears   | Power strike (*)       |
| SepticFlesh | Necro     |  13 | A1 Normal | Poison & bones | Poison Dagger (*)      |

Activated scrolls :

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ID    | Desc                                                                                                                                | WT cost |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   1   | You can place attributes points in STRENGTH or DEXTERITY                                                                            |  2      |  
|   2   | You can place attributes points in VITALITY or ENERGY                                                                               |  2      |
|   6   | Skill improvement : Pick 1 skill (per character) you already have 1 pt invested : improve your knowledge of that skill by 1 tier... |  3      |
|   7   | Initiation : pick 1 skill tree (per character) : You can put only 1 pt in any skill from that tree, and use it                      |  2      |
| 122   | You can hire / resurect / heal a mercerary and equip him following your characters abilities                                        |  3      |

Stashed scrolls :

Code:
| ID    | Desc                                                                                                                                | WT cost |
|   3   | You can equip 1 set item                                                                                                            |  2      |  
|   4   | You can equip 1 magic item                                                                                                          |  2      |
|   5   | You can equip 1 rare item                                                                                                           |  3      |
|  65   | You can replay the act you just finished at the cost of 1WP for each replay session                                                 |  1      |
|  39   | You can respec your characters at will (tokens or quest reward)                                                                     |  9      |
| 103   | Can craft any belt recipe                                                                                                           |  2      |
|  28   | You can equip any magic weapon                                                                                                      |  1      |
|  62   | Mulligan : You can put back in the draw pool all your (unplayed) ability scroll in your hand and draw ...                           |  3      |
| 152   | Initiation : pick 1 skill tree (per character) : You can put only 1 pt in any skill from that tree, and use it                      |  2      |

The 7 chars found 3 sets, 0 unique, which is really poor.
I would unlock 1 rare and 1 magic item, but even so, it won't help at all with what I found so far.

So help me guys, what to do now ? who will live through act 2 without stuff, and only with one lvl 5 skill ? :eek:

I think I may have put too much difficulty in that game...
Initially in the rules, you can replay an act for free any time, once every char finished this act, as long as you dont kill the final boss and you don't speed run a specific area (countess run, pindle...), so you had to respect 1/2 hour between 2 game creations.
At last minute, I introduce the replay ability in a scroll, and add a cost to each replay.
I doubt we would be able to replay that much in that configuration.
At least, we lose the ability to improve our chars stuff to fit some scrolls (for eg. find a set item for each when you unlocked spell #3)

Nice going there @Chaostar
I think unlocking rare/magic gear will be more useful in act 2 and you have some levels. Vendors have better items and gambling can give you actual useful stuff. It’s too bad I can’t really use the cube with current abilities, because that can create some nice items too :)

Regarding re-running. I’m happy the way it is, because if it was free it would be strictly better to do but oh so boring to re-run act 1 normal again when you already played it 7 times :p

I’m on my 5th char, an Amazon. I will post a summary of her and the Druid when she kills Andariel. The Druid at least survived which was pretty lucky considering the number of NDEs past the outer cloister

Act 2 will be difficult for sure! I have no plan for the Druid or barbarian at all yet :D I hope to unlock some good scrolls before then...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High