[2019] [Tournament] Ability Scrolls Sept [by Chaostar]

So I gave it a try with a barb. No planning or thinking ahead. Just went out into the world, armed himself with a couple of scepters and some strangling gas potions on weapon switch and gave it his all. Put all stat points into Vitality after countess.

I definitely think it's doable the way it is, but I don't think I could do the first char without cheesing it with gas potions (hint: if you sell a gas potion with 1 quantity left to a vendor in town, you can buy a full stack back). Maybe with javelins but in my experience they started to lose efficiency after the black marsh.
I do see how the first character could be a turn-off for some though.

Anyway...

Barb 1 death.png

I died in Jail level 1, with a belt full of red and purple... And so close to leveling up too. We had just put mini-Zarf to sleep after a bit of a struggle, and I was just gonna finish of the last corridor of the area before calling it quits and going to bed myself and got sloppy trying to save my potions... ugh!

@Chaostar Would you consider it cheesy, or even cheating(?!), to restart after a failed attempt at the first character or is that fine?

Last edited:
Wow, nice run there, zarfen! I'll try it, too and will start with a barb.

What about the Blood Raven quest? Mustn't we speak to Kashya in order to get the rogue merc? If I took your rules literally, then I'd be allowed to get the rogue as a quest reward ;-)
Chaostar said:
14 - So each character cannot :
- use skill points or attribute points
- equip any identified item or carry any identified charm
- can insert gems or runes into socketed items
- use the horadric cube outside quest purpose
- hire or give equipment to a mercenary
- make anything is not listed in the allowed starting abilities above

Last edited:
Damn you're fast, guys ! :D
Zarfen, too bad, you made the hardest part, access to vitality is a huge relief for 1st char, you were close to the end. You were lvl 12 or 13 maybe ?
Restart after the death of the 1st char is fine, this tournament is painful enough, and finishing act I Normal with less than 7 char would be really hard.

About merc, you can have the merc from the quest reward, it's not a problem, you can't equip her or heal her (unless you go back to town), and she will die soon enough :p

I'll rewrite the rule about chars progression, it's not obvious. The fact is I wrote and rewrote thoses rules a lot, I may have lost this kind of information during the process, even if it's obvious in my head. Thanks for your feedback !

edit : rule #8 updated !

Chaostar said:
About merc, you can have the merc from the quest reward, it's not a problem, you can't equip her or heal her (unless you go back to town), and she will die soon enough :p
Never underestimate the power of an unarmed Rogue mercenary! At level 7, she'll shoot a level 2 Cold Arrow or Fire Arrow doing a whopping 5-6 (cold) or 3-6 (fire) damage!!111!!!!1!

Chaostar said:
I'll rewrite the rule about chars progression, it's not obvious. The fact is I wrote and rewrote thoses rules a lot, I may have lost this kind of information during the process, even if it's obvious in my head. Thanks for your feedback !

Thanks for all your effort! It's perfeclty understanable, that with so much going on not everything is perfect. Your tournament inspired me to think about more RPG elements in D2 tournaments, maybe there's still unexplored terrain there :)

Last edited:
Grisu said:
Wow, nice run there, zarfen! I'll try it, too and will start with a barb.
:p
Well I wanted to set the bar low to lure you into joining.

Ps. I was gonna comment on you trying to loophole you way to a free Merc based on the wording of a sentence in a 155+ rule tournament, but it seems to have worked so well played I guess :D

Chaostar said:
Damn you're fast, guys ! :D
Zarfen, too bad, you made the hardest part, access to vitality is a huge relief for 1st char, you were close to the end. You were lvl 12 or 13 maybe ?
Restart after the death of the 1st char is fine, this tournament is painful enough, and finishing act I Normal with less than 7 char would be really hard.

Yes, that was unfortunate. Hopefully it made a mental mark on me to be more careful.
You are correct, lvl 12, just about to hit 13.

It’s understandable and even expected that there would be some need for clarification on such a complex tourney!

I’ll give it another go tonight, starting with a barb again.

Last edited:
Chaostar said:
Code:
ID      description                                                                                                        categ        Type     WT Cost
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1       You can place attributes points in STRENGTH or DEXTERITY                                                           attr         Ability     2
2       You can place attributes points in VITALITY or ENERGY                                                              attr         Ability     2
3       You can equip 1 set item                                                                                           equip        Ability     2
4       You can equip 1 magic item                                                                                         equip        Ability     1
5       You can equip 1 rare item                                                                                          equip        Ability     2
6       Skill improvement : Pick 1 skill (per character) you already have 1 pt invested : improve your knowledge of that  
          skill by 1 tier (apprentice : invest up to 5 skill points, competent up to 10, Master up to 15, Divine up to 20) skill        Ability     3
7       Initiation : pick 1 skill tree (per character) : You can put only 1 pt in any skill from that tree, and use it     skill        Ability     2
Does that mean, that each character can either put points in STR oder DEX or that I have to choose STR or DEX when I pick the scroll and then each character is only allowed to place points into that one attribute?

Chaostar said:
21 - The Whole Deck
Code:
ID Description                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Categ     Type     WT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 You can equip 1 crafted / runeword item                                                                                                                                                                                                                            equip  Ability      3

25 You know how to insert runes, jewels or gems in items                                                                                                                                                                                                              craft  Ability      1

46 You can equip your mercenary with any body armor                                                                                                                                                                                                                Gameplay  Ability      3

48 Resurrection : You can resurrect one of your character immediately after his death, in town, with all his stuff and abilities. He carries on his journey from the place of his death.                                                                            special   Effect      28

52 You can equip 1 crafted / runeword item                                                                                                                                                                                                                            equip  Ability      3

92 You know all runeword recipe involving runes up to SHAEL                                                                                                                                                                                                           craft  Ability      1
Some questions: How do 19, 25, 46, 92 work togehter? If I have 25, I can insert runes in sockets, but not make runewords, correct?

And if I have 19 - do I need 25 and/or 92 to make that runeword? And do I need 25 to make a runeword with scroll 92?

46: If my merc may use any body armor: of any quality? (set, unique, magic, rare, white, socketed, ethereal, runeword?)

48: what about HC players? Are they allowed to reroll that scroll? At least I know of no (legal) way how to resurrect a HC character :p

Regarding merceneraies: you said we may use the merc without equipment etc. that we get as a quest reward. so if they don't die, we may equip them if we have the scrolls to do so, even if we dont't have the scroll to hire a merc?

Also, in the basic rules, you say we are not allowed to "hire or give equipment to a mercenary " - I guess we are not allowed to resurrect them, either? I think that's one of the loopholes in the rules if we are allowed to keep the merc from quest rewards :)

Last edited:
Sorry about the thousand questions! I'm still confused though:

- Each character may place points in STR and DEX or
- each character may place points in STR or DEX, but the attribute may differ from character to character (put points in DEX for my zon, but in STR for my barb for example).

I have (re-) started and the first brave foolish member of the zarf family has killed the countess and spent 2 of the WTs to use the scroll to allow me to put points in vitality. I took extra caution and only had one close call on the way to the countess. Strangling gas potions keep carrying me against any strong monsters while weaker minions go smash smash against dual scepters.

I found some nice shiny gear before that, especially considering I'm not wearing any topazes for MF. It's just too bad that the Zarf family are barely allowed to wear their underpants :p

barb unique cap.jpg
barb set buckler.jpg

@Chaostar How are you tracking your progress? and more importantly your scroll inventory and family abilities granted by scrolls? I figured it will be a real mess once I get more characters going, so I made a simple excel sheet for now.

Last edited:
I noticed that there are 4 male and 3 female Diablo 2 characters - which is exactly the main cast of the Addams Family :)
After playing in the Addams Family Musical myself, it is only fitting that my family will be the Addams family! Introducing...

Gomez, the Necromancer (well, d'oh)
Morticia, the Assassin (dressed all in black)
Wednesday, the Amazon (a crossbow would be top-notch, but I'll take what I can get)
Pugsley, the Druid (Druid players like pain, after all, do they?)
Grandmama, the Sorceress (dabbling in the arcane arts, are we?)
Fester, the Paladin (well, they're both (almost) bold and someone had to be the Paladin, right?)
Lurch, the Barbarian (big and...dumb?)

...and the Thing, aka the disembodied hand, aka my mouse hand.

Lurch already started, I'll post an update after the first Act (if he survives).

Grisu said:
Sorry about the thousand questions! I'm still confused though:

- Each character may place points in STR and DEX or
- each character may place points in STR or DEX, but the attribute may differ from character to character (put points in DEX for my zon, but in STR for my barb for example).
Don't be sorry, I'm the one who make confusing sentences (english is not my native tongue).

It's the simple : each char can set points in Dex, vita as he wants, when he wants, like any regular D2 game. no restriction any more on these 2 attributes.

zarfen nice loots, my first 4 characters still didnt find any unique :)

zarfen said:
especially considering I'm not wearing any topazes for MF.

Don't forget you don't know how to use gems at the beginning :)

About keep track, yes it can be messy really fast.
If my simulations are right, you will soon got ten's of scrolls, you got to keep track of each scroll played, each decision for each character resulting from scrolls (witch skill tree unlocked for eacn one, skills upgraded, number of charms available, etc.) and keep track of the draw pool (which scrolls remains).
I work with an xls sheet, I think about propose an exemple.
But you're right, it's the boring part.
I even though about create a website to keep track of this and manage the scroll pool, but not enough time :cool:

Last edited:
I have to say, this looks like a very interesting tournament. I wont be in it sadly; partially because the "no rerunning" part means each session needs to be so long, and partially because I will have no time with both a kid and a renovation to handle. But I very much look forward to reading about all of your endeavours here.

Well done @Chaostar in creating an innovative tournament.

Sorry to bother you, but may I inquire after your rulings to my questons from above? I'll post them again here:
Chaostar said:
21 - The Whole Deck
Code:
ID Description                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Categ     Type     WT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 You can equip 1 crafted / runeword item                                                                                                                                                                                                                            equip  Ability      3

25 You know how to insert runes, jewels or gems in items                                                                                                                                                                                                              craft  Ability      1

46 You can equip your mercenary with any body armor                                                                                                                                                                                                                Gameplay  Ability      3

48 Resurrection : You can resurrect one of your character immediately after his death, in town, with all his stuff and abilities. He carries on his journey from the place of his death.                                                                            special   Effect      28

52 You can equip 1 crafted / runeword item                                                                                                                                                                                                                            equip  Ability      3

92 You know all runeword recipe involving runes up to SHAEL                                                                                                                                                                                                           craft  Ability      1

Some questions: How do 19, 25, 46, 92 work togehter? If I have 25, I can insert runes in sockets, but not make runewords, correct?

And if I have 19 - do I need 25 and/or 92 to make that runeword? And do I need 25 to make a runeword with scroll 92?

46: If my merc may use any body armor: of any quality? (set, unique, magic, rare, white, socketed, ethereal, runeword?)

48: what about HC players? Are they allowed to reroll that scroll? At least I know of no (legal) way how to resurrect a HC character :p

Regarding merceneraies: you said we may use the merc without equipment etc. that we get as a quest reward. so if they don't die, we may equip them if we have the scrolls to do so, even if we dont't have the scroll to hire a merc?

Also, in the basic rules, you say we are not allowed to "hire or give equipment to a mercenary " - I guess we are not allowed to resurrect them, either? I think that's one of the loopholes in the rules if we are allowed to keep the merc from quest rewards :)

Last edited:
for the sake of the equipment clause, is gambled items considered identified?

if say you unlock the can invest into str or dex, does this now allow future characters freedom to invest into str or dex?

also for my particular run, I am going to include the clause:

Ignore any Experience Shrines that show up. The sacrifice of the additional experience of the Experience Shrine will be counted toward the minimum killing of monsters you'll have to do to continue where you last left off assuming you have to suspend game play midway through an area.

still confused with the rules; seems very restrictive with all the clauses

anyways here's my character so far, as of 2nd wp in a1.

Chaostar said:
Don't forget you don't know how to use gems at the beginning
Yes, that is why he isn't using any topazes for MF ;)

@okey Nice to see more entrants!

Anyway, Zarfbarian the Barbarian has killed Andariel in normal. She proved to be a more skilled poison user, so he brought out his dual scepters once more and almost emptied the Encamptments potion reserves in the process.
Barb Andariel norm.png
He reached level 15 and change. Didn't bother clearing the catacombs 100% because my hit chance was starting to get annoying so I was satisfied with throwing poison pots on any elite or champions and then head down to the next level. I'm really itching for some more WTs at this point to unlock some more gear and/or skills!

So, now I'm finally rewarded with a new ability scroll. I'm really hoping for the ability to use /players x command or the ability to socket gems in my gear. I went to random.org to pick a number between 8 and 155, and I get 140. Hmm, I remember 144 being the players x one so that's close but not it, let's see:
-140 You can equip 1 more charm
Eeh... That's not exactly what I was dreaming of for my early game :p I don't think I will prioritize that anytime soon and go for some more from abilities from my starter scrolls.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to grabbing another set of WTs with my next character. I have not decided what scroll to use yet but leaning towards unlocking a skill tree for all characters before opening up STR/DEX.
I've elected not to use my one spare WT on the ability to equip 1 magic item from scroll #4, but at this point, I am considering doing that just to equip a slightly better weapon to speed up things after the black marsh.

Will probably give paladin a go next.

Last edited:
It's a close race, @zarfen! I just finished Act I with my barb, too. I, on the other hand, was able to keep my merc alive, even in the fight with Andariel, which I am very proud of (well, after all it's Elly!!!)!

Well, here's a quick rundown how Act I went:
Screenshot0001.jpg

Making good use of 3 early Experience shrines (saved for bosspacks) was key to being above level 13 in Jail 1 compared to my other competitors.

There were some nasty boss packs early on, but clubbing is Lurch's favourite parstime, so no problems there. I bought a superior Scepter as soon as it was possible and used a Long Bow on weapon switch for LE bosses or Griswold.

Screenshot0003.jpg

Screenshot0003b.jpg

The countess spawned outside her chamber, which was a bad suprise when I took that route, but I quickly backtracked the other way round and she was staying outside her main chamber while I could throw Strangling Gas Potions at her (btw, my very first shrine was a Poison Shrine, now I have Choking Gas Potions, too and can finally use them (needs level 16)

Screenshot003.jpg

Jail level 2 held a nasty surprise with Fouldog just around the corner, but Gas Potions (and 282 life!) saved me from the worst.

Screenshot007.jpg

I saved to Resist Poison Shrines for the fight with Andariel, which came in handy (85% Poison Resist for me with Antidote postions)
Screenshot009.jpg

Further fun boss packs:
Might Aura Skeleton Archers in Jail 3,
Might Aura Spiders in Catacombs 2,
Holy Freeeze Zombies in Catacombs 3,
2 bosspacks the Banished in Catacombs 3 (one LE :-/)
Screenshot016.jpg

Andariel herself was surprisingly easy (I'm used to /p8 after all), and I only needed 5 healing potions and no rejuvs, but 2 trips back to town at the start of the battle, because my merc got poisoned and needed healing. Afterwards, I managed to position her perfectly, so that the gas clouds of Andariel couldn't touch her.

Screenshot017.jpg

Uh-oh!
Screenshot018.jpg

shorly before Andariel fell, my shrine effect vanished, but the antidote still had effect, so no worries.
Screenshot019.jpg

Used a random number generator (random.org) to get a number between 8 and 155 and rolled...tadaa! a 81! If I use the scroll, I can equip any magic class equipments for 1 WT. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad (well, not as bad as one more charm, I guess ... :p) I might buy the scroll to speed things up a bit.

Oh, of course I bought the VIT scroll with my first earned WT. I will probably buy STR/DEX next, or scroll 7 for the skills. We'll see.

Good luck to everyone else.

WT earned: 3
WT spent: 2 (Scroll 2)
WT left: 1

Scrolls earned:

The Addams Family, Lurch the Barbarian (level 16) waiting to travel to Lut Gholein, Fester (Paladin, level 1) next!

Last edited:
Grisu said:
Sorry to bother you, but may I inquire after your rulings to my questons from above? I'll post them again here:

About runeword, I knew this question will come :)
So, yes, if you want to wear a steel weapon, you'll have to :
- learn the recipe (scroll 92 or 94 118 or 128)
- learn how to stuck runes into items (scroll 25 or others, this scroll is not unique)
- be allowed to equip runeword (scroll 52, or other similar)
All 3 are required.

Grisu said:

No, it's the only scroll IIRC, they can't use. I may say, they can't invoke that scroll, but use it another way (I think about some Effect scrolls involving other scroll), or just think about the fact they save this spell high wisdom token cost.
I created HC characters.

Grisu said:
didn't think about that, but yes, you're right. But at his first death you're screwed. And I don't know you, but my merc die a lot !

Grisu said:

You're right, I shall write "hire , Resurect, heal, or give equipment to a mercenary".
but it is also said :
" make anything is not listed in the allowed starting abilities above"
and I never wrote "you CAN resurrect of heal a mercernary" :p
But you're right again, I will me more specific about this, thanks !

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the clarifications!

Chaostar said:
About runeword, I knew this question will come :)
So, yes, if you want to wear a steel weapon, you'll have to :
- learn the recipe (scroll 92 or 94 118 or 128)
- learn how to stuck runes into items (scroll 25 or others, this scroll is not unique)
- be allowed to equip runeword (scroll 52, or other similar)
All 3 are required.

That will require some RNG luck then! xD

Chaostar said:
didn't think about that, but yes, you're right. But at his first death you're screwed. And I don't know you, but my merc die a lot !

Well, for one I'm used to very prudent play, because I almost exclusively play HC tournaments with various restrictions - sometimes, gold is limited, so resurrections are a thing I tend to avoid. It's usually easier with Act I or Act III mercs.

The other thing is the "ignore merc bug" - sometimes, if your merc gets stuck and teleports to you, monsters will just ignore the merc until you S&E or until your merc dies und you resurrect them. So yeah, call me cheesy, but it worked ;-)

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High