[2018] Tournament: Super Unique 2018 [by GooberGrape]

I've clawed my way to full clears up to the Canyon which is a nice stopping point. The 7 Tombs is a lengthy session I don't think I'll have enough time for until next weekend.

One thing I didn't know. My merc was using an ethereal Brandistock with tiny lightning resist. So I figured I'll reroll it with some chipped gems to get some ED on it and a couple of sockets for gems if I come across a physical immune I otherwise have no way of dealing with. After rerolling it the etherealness was gone o_O. It's now doing 2 damage less which is not that big of a loss tho.

Aaanyway. No good drops throughout Act II so far. Not even slight improvements. Merc got an eth rare Ring Mail with crappy mods. This ring was okay-ish, but nothing spectacular:
Code:
Storm Circle
Ring
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0xd9cd13c2
Item Level: 18
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+8 to Mana
Poison Resist +12%
12% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

I've saved almost all of the SU drops as possible future crafting or rerolling materials. Except from obviously useless stuff like Crossbows, Assassin katars which I've got about 5 and other class-specific items. Finally got a few successful horks on SU's tho, so that's a good feeling :cool:

Only Set/Unique item drops have been Cleglaw's Claw, Hsaru's Iron Stay and Civerb's Ward. Interestingly enough all dropped from regular monsters.

General killing speed has improved massively since hiring an Act II merc. Vikhyat is doing almost all of the killing with the support of BO, Shout and Battle Cry. Not that I'm not willing to help, it's just that my damage is so miserable I'd rather spend my time doing other things. Like watching TV :D

I think I'll do the full equipment list after I'm done with Duriel, fingers crossed for something, anything with manaleech on it. A Manald's heal would be a great drop for once!

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Pandemonium Fortress  32      36
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Canyon of the Magi    26      22
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Black Marsh           13       9
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Dark Wood             13       8

SuperSaint met his match. Diablo caged him in bones and had his way with him.

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Black Marsh           13       9
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Dark Wood             13       8
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Diablo                35      41

logoutzero said:
(...)I don't have a single 1H Magic quality item that is capable of being socketed!(...)
I seem to have overlooked my Jagged Spiked Club returned by Rakanishu. I did end up finding a replacement for this, and used it for something else...

Zyr said:
(...)A socketed Wirt's Leg can become a magical socketed Wirt's Leg by transmuting in the Horadric Cube with the three standard gem recipe...

...which can then be crafted with the Hit Power recipe.(...)
Can it still transmute the red portal?

Wolron said:
SuperSaint met his match. Diablo caged him in bones and had his way with him.

Those things seem to be the bane of your hardcore existence! I hope you are able to learn something from the experience you got with him! Going to pick up and try again? (This is a pretty tough tournament!)

Some sorely needed updates throughout the start of Act II!

First, Radament was kind enough to return a great weapon-type:

Screenshot210.jpg

It was Jagged and I had to place 13 points in STR to don it.

Any time I play this far in a tournament, I always tell myself I am going to start hitting the Stony Tomb with all my characters because of all the sarcophagi to rob and of course, this guy:

Screenshot211.jpg

He had a Pilum (of Slaying) and Zombie Head but neither fantastic. Bloodwitch had a Composite Bow (of the Leech) and some Chain Gloves (of Strength) which at least means a roll of Hit Power in the future, and a bit more defense for now.

With the return of my cube, I was able to make some more slight improvements to gear.

Tried my hand at the magic shield "of Spikes" recipe, for like the second time ever. I think it should be able to roll:
  • ED% (better than nothing?)
  • +Mana (mostly useless for this build, maybe nice to squeeze an extra Conversion or Vengeance out later, under dire circumstances)
  • Single resistance up to 40% (zomgwtfplx gieb)
  • Resistances up to 15@ (would be fantastic)
  • +1 Paladin skill tree (I'd take it and not complain...)
  • Vulpine (please no!)
  • Mechanic's for 1-2os (could make it work, maybe not bad actually!)
At least I got a perfect damage roll!
Code:
Small Shield of Spikes
Small Shield
Defense: 9
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 12 of 16
Required Level: 15
Required Strength: 22
Fingerprint: 0x414a5f82
Item Level: 30
Attacker Takes Damage of 6

Maybe I'll have better luck with rolling the flail! Start with 1 Jagged Flail:
(you can see my preparation to roll the shield in the stash)

Screenshot214 (1).jpg

Toss in 18 chipped gems, and end with:

Screenshot223.jpg

I'll keep it, and save my other 44 chips to fight another day.

Better make that 42!

Screenshot224.jpg

Code:
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Halls of Dead 2       22      16
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Diablo                35      41

Last edited:
Deeds SuperSaint, good run. I added [RIP] to the character table. @Wolron you're welcome to enter again with a new character if you like. Will anyone step up to take down Diablo and avenge our fallen hero?

Minor update for me, I got to Cat2 and got some more of my stuff back. Still no breakthrough items, I'm mostly hiding behind my army of animals. Ravens are pretty good, they do damage and blind enemies, and they can't get hit. Solid.

Code:
Forum Name       Hero Name        Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level   Score
srrw             Hrothgar         Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
GooberGrape      Einfuhr          Druid        SC       Catacombs 2           15      11
Hutton           Brigid           Amazon       HC       Dark Wood             13       8
logoutzero       Sheev            Paladin      HC       Halls of Dead 2       22      16
Wolron           SuperSaint[RIP]  Paladin      HC       Diablo                35      41

Code:
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Canyon, Magi          26      22

Got the meat and potatoes finished in Act II this evening, Canyon of the Magi, Tombs, and Duriel are all that remain. Didn't manage much in the gear department, but things are moving along much more smoothly with the addition of a Prayer Merc. The additional tank, along with the life regen and the newly crafted leech-flail keep the red bulb full at about all times. Add to that a couple of upgrades in the defense department and we've got the foundation of a viable character starting to take shape.

Screenshot209.jpg

I actually would have preferred a magic ring at this stage of the game, but okay. I seem to have lose that axe, I probably Charsi'd it without even thinking. Got a Helm from Beetleburst (of Balance) and a pretty nice shield from Fangskin:

Screenshot216.jpg

Fireeye had a Rare Ethereal Crystal Sword, shame there's not a way to re-roll the mods but keep the eth property.

That's gonna be it for this update.

Last edited:
The rest of Act II went pretty well. I switched to a Defiance merc once I had a lightbulb: I'm running Defiance more often than any other aura, why don't I try it on the merc?

I must have been close to some tipping point on the scales, where Prayer's healing just wasn't keeping up, but the boosted defense was enough to not need the healing in the first place. Combat with the Prayer merc ended with a nearly full bulb on a normal mob, with occasional pots needed on bigger groups or bosses. The net result with Defiance is the same, just with the dips and climbs in the red bulb leveled out. It's more safe this way I think.

Kaa had a Rare Balanced Axe and a Magic Axe. At least I can try out a Blood craft with it later. Duriel's drop came with some immediate upgrades, notably a 3-tier belt and Rare Hard Leather. The armor came with a socket, and I just happened to be carrying a Ral rune on me. Thinking ahead of the Flayer Shaman, the Councils, and Vampires, I stuffed it in.

Screenshot214.jpg

Code:
Rune Hide
Hard Leather Armor
Defense: 22
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Level: 19
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x3555756
Item Level: 22
12% Chance to cast level 4 Charged Bolt when struck
Cold Resist +29%
Fire Resist +51%
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Ral Rune

Grim Harness
Heavy Belt
Defense: 6
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0xcaf59535
Item Level: 22
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+9 to Life
Fire Resist +12%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Angelic is cool, chances are semi-decent I think of finding at least a ring. The Bloodrise isn't so great right now because it's slow and doesn't have enough leech to offset Sacrifice.

I worked a little way into the forest, clear up to the Flayer Jungle. Sszark dropped me a flawed and a chipped gem... >_<

Here's his character sheet:

Screenshot220.jpg
Screenshot221.jpg

Edit: Fun fact, did you know Sanctuary has a mana cost?

Last edited:
logoutzero said:
Edit: Fun fact, did you know Sanctuary has a mana cost?
Had no idea. I knew about Prayer, but not Sanctuary.

---------------------------------------

Biter the Feral Rage Werewolf has made it through the first two acts. Reasonably safe, and reasonably smooth, at least once I had managed to cube my desert merc a decent weapon.

Defining moment in the early game, the loot from Coldcrow:

Biter01, Coldcrow loot.jpg
Bow had some lightning damage, and it was key for making the rest of act easier. Boots had +DEX and were ethereal. They later broke, and I have yet to find another pair. It's now the only empty item slot.

Fighting a CE archer pack, with the help of poison potions:

Biter02, poison.jpg

Griswold dropped a Bardiche of Worth (+1) which became Biter's weapon until he found the Cube.

This was useless for anything but some cash, but I scored a personal best from a super chest - 13 rares:

Biter03, rares.jpg

Andariel dropped this, which was soon given to a Prayer merc in Act II:

Corpse Scythe
Bardiche

Two-Hand Damage: 1 to 32
Durability: 14 of 50
Required Strength: 40
Required Level: 4
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x3ac10175
+22% Enhanced Damage
+17 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +8%
+7 poison damage over 3 seconds
5% Life stolen per hit

Merc did pretty well with this. I've seen them weaponless, and this was of course much better. We have a Heart of Wolverine of ever-increasing level with us too, you know. :)

After finding the Cube, I was inspired by some other player in this tourney to do some chippie-rerolling. Looked up the most damaging affixes possible on an ilvl 25 Bardiche, which turned out to be Warrior's and Massive. Lucked out after only 4 or 5 rolls with this one:

Massive Bardiche
'Ith'
Two-Hand Damage: 1 to 52
Durability: 32 of 50
Required Level: 15
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xa851cb7a
+60% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Maximum Damage
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Upper-half Massive*, sweet! Could have used a suffix and another socket as well, but hey, beggars can't be choosers...
(*varies 51%-65%)

Biter took over the rare Bardiche.

Merc pretty much bulldozed his way through the rest of the act with the Massive weapon (and don't forget the HoW!) until it was time for Duriel. The Lord of Pain becomes quite tame in Normal if you buff both character and merc with thawing potions.

The /players 5 drop:

Biter04, Duriel loot.jpg

Voulge was a slight improvement for the merc. Damage is a bit lower, but it's faster and deals poison damage. No need to rely on the flimsy Poison Creeper to stop regeneration.

Chain Mail is ethereal with 131 Defense and 18% fire resist. Good for Vikhyat.
Amulet has some good resists (10 Lightning, 23 Cold).

The Foul Maul is tempting Biter to raise his STR considerably. 29 more points are needed in that case, something he hasn't committed to yet, but probably will.

Biter the Feral Rage Werewolf and Vikhyat the Prayer merc, level 28, Kurast Docks

Last edited:
Zyr said:
Sadly, rune words cannot be made in Wirt's Leg. (I tried... :rolleyes:) However, Charsi can Imbue Wirt's Leg. It becomes a rare Hand Axe, which can be upgraded in the Horadric Cube.

(In early 2010, when Blizzard opened a Public Test Realm for patch 1.13, I spent an insane number of hours creating level 99 Sorcs and retrieving Legs to present to Charsi. But I never received anything worth using.)

A socketed Wirt's Leg can become a magical socketed Wirt's Leg by transmuting in the Horadric Cube with the three standard gem recipe...

View attachment 11026

...which can then be crafted with the Hit Power recipe.

View attachment 11027
A crafted Hit Power Wirt’s Leg, now that’s just badass! :eek:

Last edited:
Code:
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lower Kurast          30      27

Resting In Pieces

Just a small table update for today. Cleared the Flayer Jungle, Dungeon, Swampy Pit, and Lower Kurast. Witch Doctor Endugu is awesome for his double spawn and drop. He dropped a nice upgrade for the merc:

Code:
Demon Nails
Brandistock
Two Hand Damage: 7 - 29
Durability: 18 of 28
Required Level: 14
Required Dexterity: 50
Fingerprint: 0x392fa38e
Item Level: 27
+12 to Maximum Damage
+66 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 8 Lightning Damage
+1 to Mana after each Kill
Level 1 Bash (14/22 Charges)

Stormtree dropped another magic Breastplate, and a magic Bastard Sword. Looking forward to all the tasty drop chances coming up!

The more I’m following along with everyone’s updates, this tournament seems a lot like a Classic tournament with all the use of magic and rare items and rarely used cube recipes. Since there is such a lack of MF build up on the heroes, it seems that unique item drops are far more rare. This looks really fun and challenging, so I’m going to join as soon as I figure out what build to play.

I'm going to drop out of this- the restriction makes the pacing just a bit too slow for my liking.

On the plus side, it did give me the motivation to get the ball rolling on this character by getting to level 19, so thanks!

Code:
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lower Kurast          30      27

Resting In Pieces

I assume a second try is allowed. If so, I introduce SuperWolf the angry Druid. He has already killed Corpsefire and received this:

Short Bow of Frost Two-Hand Damage: 1 to 4 Adds 1-2 cold damage over 2 seconds

He is going to use this and then give it to a cute girl (if he finds one that likes wolves).

Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Cold Plains            6       1

Resting In Pieces

Atalanta is generally very passive natured and prefers to carry only dagger class weapons for protection. She has been forced from her homeland to this Rogue Encampment to find those evil creatures that robbed her village and destroyed all that she holds dear.

Code:
jiansonz          Biter          Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          28      ??
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Cold Plains            6       1
Southpaw8668      Atalanta       Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

Resting In Pieces

Hey everyone! I was looking for a little D2 action, and thought this tournament sounded pretty cool. I've never built an amazon using the poison javelin skills so I'll be trying that out with FA as a back up.
I've cleared all the way to griswold with little trouble besides accidentally throwing ALL of my starter javelins. I was forced to use a hand axe dropped by corpsefire all the way to bonebreak who dropped a blue AND yellow short bow.
I also have plenty of options for my act two merc when I get there. I have three bardiches and a spear to tinker with, all magic but a grey one socket bardiche.

Code:
jiansonz          Biter          Druid        HC       Kurast Docks          28      ??
Southpaw8668      Atalanta       Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0
Dunedain          Grelda         Amazon       SC       Dark Woods            14       8

Resting In Pieces

Sheev has landed at the Pandemonium Fortress for a well deserved break. Act III was an utter disappointment to be frank.

Lower Kurast didn't provide any materials, although we got a handful of gems and runes from the Bazaar and Upper. Regular monsters dropped us a total of 7 Set/Unique items, and the Super Unique monsters dropped us a small, crummy pile of magic quality items, none of which were immediately useful. At least there are a handful of crafting bases once I've got some gems.

The Council inside the Durance actually didn't drop any items for me. Well, Bremm dropped a chipped gem, the others only dropped gold.

Mephisto was a snoozefest, even if he did obliterate the mercenary...

Screenshot240.jpg

I'm going to leave him for the evening I think, at the very least I need a little break from him. The build isn't so bad so far, but the questing has been dull the past couple of sessions. Here's hoping Act IV brings some excitement!

Code:
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lower Kurast          32      36
Dunedain          Grelda         Amazon       SC       Dark Woods            14       8

Resting In Pieces

SuperWolf has finished off the first 8 Super Uniques. His next one will be the Countess. Here are what has dropped for him so far:

Corpsefire: A magic short bow, a diamond chip and a few potions. The bow has been sold by now, but SuperWolf used it for a while before handing it to the Rogue Mercenary.

BishiBosh: A magic pair of leather gloves with +1 STR. A small charm with +6 poison damage over 3 seconds and +3 Lightning Resist. Also a few potions. The gloves have been replaced by better ones, but they will be saved to craft some Caster gloves later. The charm will remain in SuperWolf's inventory.

Blood Raven: A Magic Spear, a chipped topaz and a few potions. The spear was used a while, but it has been sold recently when a better polearm was found to save for the Act II mercenary.

Bonebreak: Arctic Furs!!! and a magic cap. The Arctic Furs will probably be used for quite a while. The cap is being worn by SuperWolf.

Coldcrow: A magic leather armor (still used by the mercenary), a pair of magic leathe gloves with +9 poison resist (still being used by SuperWolf) and a few potions.

Rakanishu: A magic Bardich and a magic Hunter's Bow. The bow is being used by the Rogue mercenary. The Bardich is being used by SuperWolf, but will possibly be saved for the Act II merc.

Treehead Woodfist: A rare jawbone cap (sold) and a magic skull cap which was given to the mercenary.

Griswold: A magic long bow which is being carried in the off-hand by SuperWolf. A couple normal (white) items; throwing knives and Bardich. The two normal items were sold, but maybe I should have saved them for later enhancement.

Code:
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lower Kurast          32      36
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Dark Wood             15       8

Resting In Pieces

Act IV was tough. The merc just didn't have any staying power left, and I couldn't improve his gear to combat that.

Good stats on the LCS against Izual, and no useful reward for his defeat:

Screenshot242.jpg
Screenshot243.jpg
Screenshot244.jpg

At least the Crown can be crafted... A Ruby for HF. Too bad I don't have the ingredients to craft anything Blood. Maybe I can fill out the Amethyst and craft one of those, I'll check through his stash later. Amn Rune is pretty great I think too.

Screenshot246.jpg

Well, CS was tough. Took Vizier, Seis, then Infector. The merc dropped very fast, and I was swarmed before I saw it coming, they were very fast. I tried to swap to Charge, but was too slow and didn't have the space to use it. No choice but to grit teeth and hope I can take one out before running out of pots. Luckily I had a full inventory ready for Diablo. Potions weren't fast enough to keep up with the incoming damage once the purples ran out, and deeds.

Screenshot247.jpg

Final score for Sheev (Palpatine)
Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Lut Gholein           20      13

Resting In Pieces
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       River of Flame        34      40

Observations:
Immunity to mana burn is absolutely fantastic. Leech would have been outright tough to maintain in later difficulties, but the AR and Damage bonus was really nice. Charge saw quite a bit of situational use, and I could see trying a Charger in the future. For the next tourney Paladin, I won't spread the skills out so far, I feel like utility skills such as Conversion, Holy Shield, Vigor etc. have such low numbers at slvl1, that the additional points for the main aura or attack would have been far more useful in Normal. Sanctuary was FANTASTIC for safety about packs of Undead. Although a better player could have handled Infector, I feel the tough gear restrictions were (and would have been had I progressed further) ultimately responsible for his demise.

I'll take this as a sign to devote some time to other characters. Maybe I will revisit this tough tournament!

Made it to Act 2 and grabbed a town guard to get my book of skill back from Radament. Still saving runes for that 3os Bardiche I scored earlier. Really hoping to make Malice.

RIP to all those who have fallen, it's a tough tourney. @jiansonz please update your score when you get a chance. Good luck to everyone, may your drops be useful!

Code:
Wolron            SuperWolf      Druid        HC       Lut Gholein           23      16
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Lut Gholein           16      14

Resting In Pieces
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       River of Flame        34      40

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High