[2018] Tournament: Super Unique 2018 [by GooberGrape]

That would be Flamespike the Crawler, spawning (usually on top of the waypoint, thus his removal) in the Inner Cloister, Cursed and FE. The way radius was calculated back then (as a big cross) had his FE pulse just about big enough to Curse you from anywhere in the courtyard, and with his large ranged pack, was lethal.

(I love 1.00!) @jiansonz

jiansonz said:
Quiz question to y'all: Which SuperUnique was removed when the expansion was released? (meaning: you could encounter it in e.g. v1.03 Classic). Bonus points if you get both the name, the area and the fixed mod(s) right.
Flamespike the Crawler was a quill rat (spike fiend?) at the Inner Cloister waypoint. He was pretty nasty if I remember right. Cursed? Going into the Inner Cloister in a new game with respawned monsters in higher difficulties was a crap shoot since he was often right there.

edit: pwned by @logoutzero

Last edited:
logoutzero is correct on everything about the now-removed SU monster. I don't think there were any 'fire pulses', though, that's more a thing for bosses with a Holy Fire aura. But it was hard to avoid getting Cursed because those porcupines are sort of multishot, and their shots are speedy, have long range and are hard to see. The first time I met Flamespike in NM difficulty, it had spawned with actual Multiple Shots, that sure was dangerous!

Build question: what's the general consensus about HC werewolves going for physical damage, is it better doing more damage with a big two-hander or is the better tankiness of weapon + shield preferred?

And a game mechanics qestion: can you craft a broken ethereal item, or is that something to simply throw away?

Andariel has paid the price for her theft. Here is what she dropped that SuperSaint will immediately put to use:

Blood Thirst Large Axe Two-Hand Damage: 6 to 16 Fast Attack Speed +13% Enhanced Damage +19 to Attack Rating
+2 to Maximum Damage Cold Resist +8% Adds 1-2 cold damage over 2 seconds 10% Increased Attack Speed

Brimstone Dart Spear Two-Hand Damage: 4 to 27 Fast Attack Speed +22% Enhanced Damage +1 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-6 lightning damage +1 to Mana After Each Kill Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Skull Casque Helm Defense: 15 +2 to Energy +15 to Attack Rating Lightning Resist +6% Poison Resist +6%
+1 to Light Radius Poison Length Reduced by 25%

Dread Wrack Javelin Throw Damage: 7 to 19 One-Hand Damage: 1 to 7 Quantity: 40 Fast Attack Speed
+33% Enhanced Damage +22 to Att Rat +1 to Max Dam L. Resist +9% 5% Life stolen per hit 4% Mana stolen per hit

Two other items ( rare saber and magic saber) will be saved in the stash for possible later use.
Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Cold Plains            7       1
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment       5       1
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

Brigid has started her journey...

Unfortunately we are yet to find a belt we're allowed to equip... :rolleyes:

Corpsefire.jpg
Bishibosh.jpg
Blood Raven.jpg
Bonebreaker.jpg

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Cold Plains            7       1
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment       5       1
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Stony Field            9       4

Last edited:
Quested a bit more with Sheev:

Treehead had an old axe used to chop firewood. Griswold was feeling like his old self, and supplied us with an armor, and 2 polearms to have for the desert merc, excited about his drop actually.
Screenshot210 (2).jpg

The armor has 2os, so that could be a 'Stealth' or 'Smoke' base later on with some rune luck! The Countess had some Heavy Boots (of Self-Repair X_X) for a little, but much needed bump in defense.

Screenshot212 (2).jpg

Rixot's Keen fell in the Barracks from a normal Fallen (or whatever breed they are there...) Shame too, I would TOTALLY use it!

Screenshot215 (2).jpg

The Smith didn't have anything that looked useful, but saved it anyway.

Screenshot217 (2).jpg

1 point in Holy Freeze didn't help nearly as much as I was hoping. Shoddy gear is making melee tough, especially in crowds. I find myself running Defiance fairly often, even if there aren't archers around. Cleansing between battles for the piddly life regen, will be nice to replace that with Redemption. To-hit has been at 95% on LCS for some time, with the AR bonus in Sacrifice, and pumping enough Dex to maintain native shield blocking. I can't wait to drop a couple(ish) points in Conversion, will be nice to soak up some damage/hit recovery.

I think I'm done for the evening:
Code:
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Stony Field            9       4
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Outer Cloister        18      10

Last edited:
@logoutzero Save the short staff! Savage polearm awaits ;)

Going for Hrothgar has been quite slow. Starting the Cold Plains this guy alone took 5 minutes to dispatch. Most of the bosses and champions had to be bottlenecked to dispatch safely; 1, 2 and 3.

The most interesting drop came from Griswold so far. At least I know when I get to Act II merc has a reasonable weapon.

I'm currently using a dual crappy magic javelin on one switch, one from Bishibosh and one from Blood Raven. True lifesavers in difficult situations. And the other switch I have a Rare Spiked Club with crappy mods and some undead damage bonus and a Small Shield of Blocking. Tried the Bardiche for a while but it's way too slow.

Took Countess on /p8 on purpose, to increase my chances of item drops, but I only got a Long Bow with +1 Cold damage, a true deal breaker since I'm pumping Find Item. Merc is using Azure Hunter's Bow of Readiness which is from one of the earlier SU's I forgot to screenshot. It's ilvl10 so it probably came from Blood Raven as well.

I hoped for socketed Armor/Helm from Griswold or the Smith but did not get lucky so MF is still at a lowly 0%. Only other item worth mentioning is a horked Jewel of Envy from a random monster I missclicked on while trying to hork а boss.

I'm going for Whirlwind which is probably not a very good idea but we'll see how things work out.

1 Concentrate, Leap Attack and prereqs
1 Increased Stamina, Iron Skin
1 Howl, Shout, Find Potion
6 Find Item
3 Saved
STR: 40+2
DEX: 30+1
VIT: 60
Saved: 35

Not a single successful hork on a Superunique. :mad:

Currently sitting at the Inner Cloister WP and gathering patience to move forward to the high HP monsters awaiting in the Catacombs. LCS says 9-12 damage :eek:

Edit:

Okay, I couldn't stay away for long. Finished the last stretch of Act I. Andy was the easiest part of the Catacombs by far. Drop was not spectacular... except for this little gem:
Code:
Dread Razor
Sabre
One Hand Damage: 7 - 19
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Level: 6
Required Strength: 15
Required Dexterity: 15
Fingerprint: 0xedbe1fea
Item Level: 12
Version: Expansion 1.10+
40% Enhanced Damage
Adds 2 - 3 Damage
+1 to Mana after each Kill
Repairs 1 Durability in 33 Seconds
Ethereal

MASSIVE improvement in the damage department.

Code:
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Outer Cloister        18      10

SuperSaint has killed Duriel and retrieved these items:

Skull Hide Breast Plate Defense: 78 +1 to Strength +14% Enhanced Defense Lightning Resist +6%
Socketed (1: 0 used) SuperSaint has not decided what to put into this socket. He is wearing this armor just like he used to!

Carrion Tower Kite Shield Defense: 21 Chance to Block: 38% Smite Damage: 2 to 5
Damage Reduced by 1 Magic Damage Reduced by 1 Lightning Resist +10% Poison Length Reduced by 25%
SuperSaint is going to use this until his favorite shield is found.

Cruel Mantle Splint Mail Defense: 93 Fire Resist +13% Attacker Takes Damage of 1
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Charged Bolt when struck SuperSaint has let the mercenary borrow this armor.

Ghoul Grinder Mace One-Hand Damage: 4 to 16 +40% Enhanced Damage +37 to Attack Rating
+2 to Maximum Damage Adds 1-2 fire damage 150% Damage to Undead Like many of his old items, SuperSaint will not be using this.

Actually the best item returned in Act II was the BladeBone that Fangskin had confiscated. This is the only Unique item retrieved.

Code:
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Lut Gholein           20      13
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Kurast Docks          28      24

Einfuhr has a full on menagerie now with an archer, five wolves, two ravens, a vine and a spirit. Sadly even with the whole gang the damage is still terrible, so I'm doing my runs at lower player settings. Managed to score some usable items, plenty of gems and jewels, and a sweet 3os Bardiche. He spends most of his time just watching the carnage unfold or occasionally throwing knives at the heads of superuniques. Zookeepers are silly and fun, but I'll be surprised if this build makes it past Normal Baal.

Code:
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Black Marsh           13       9
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Kurast Docks          28      24

There are rather few ways to get non-magical items to make runewords in:

1. Starter weapon (unless you're a Necromancer or Amazon).

2. Socket reward(s)

3. Personalize reward(s)

4. Drops from 'bosses' - those that aren't regular SuperUniques (meaning: glorified versions of regular monster types) or act bosses. My attempt at a list of these 'bosses':
- Blood Raven
- Griswold
- The Smith
- Radament (not sure if he can drop white/grey items)
- The Summoner
- Izual
- Hephasto
- Nihlathak

(I don't think the Countess can drop white/grey items, but I'm not completely sure.)

Murdered some more dudes. Found a belt!

Coldcrow.jpg
Rakanishu.jpg
Treehead.jpg
Griswold.jpg

Code:
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Black Marsh           13       9
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Dark Wood             13       8

Last edited:
@jiansonz good list, I can confirm Griswold dropped me a grey item. I have been spending more time reading the effects of the individual runes, thinking how to use them to best effect outside of runewords. For example I totally forgot that Nef gives knockback. Normally that's a forgotten item, but with an untwinked archer knockback massively improves survivability.

SuperSaint has killed Mephisto and is at level 32. P8 the whole way so far. That will change if he lasts until Diablo.

Here are his items and where he got them:

Ring of Health (Akara Act I) [damage reduced by 1]
Soul Tread Heavy Boots (Charsi Act I) [14% MF and 10% Poison Resist]
Blade Bone Unique Double Axe (Fangskin Act II)
Snowy Circlet of Luck (Radament Act II) [31% MF, +6-28 cold damage over 1 second)
Plague Wing Amulet (Radament Act II) [+4 Energy, +4 Mana, damage reduced by 2, +23% Lightning Resist, +12 max stamina]
Skull Hide Breastplate (Duriel Act II) [+1 STR, +6% Lightning Resist, +14% Enhance damage, One socket]
Clarrion Tower Kite Shield (Duriel Act II) [+10% lightning resist, both regular and magic damage reduce by 1, Poison Length -25%]
Dread Hand Chain Gloves (Bloodwitch the Wild Act II) [+1 STR, half the freeze length, Poisone length -25%]
Shadow Harness Belt (Witch Doctor Endugo Act III) [Fire Resist 14%, Cold Resist 7%, +8 Mana, Attacker takes 3 damage]
Dread Loop Ring (Ormus Act III) [+4 STR, +6% MF, +11 Attack Rating, +2 Min damage, +5 light radius]
Ghoul Loom Composite Bow (Coldworm the Burrower Act 2) [+37 AR +3 Max damage, +1-7 Lightning dam,+7 Poison dam over 3]

Here are the merc's items:
Brimstone Dart Spear (Andariel Act I) [+1 max damage, +22% enhance damage, +1-6 lightning damage, +1 mana per kill] Eth
Skull Casque Helm (Andariel Act I) [+2 Energy, +6 LResist, +6 PResist, +1 light radius, Poison Length -25%]
Cruel Mantle Splint Mail (Duriel Act II) [Fire Resist +13, Attacker takes 1 damage, 10% chance to cast level 2 charged bolt]

Notice that Andariel, Radament and Duriel are heavy contributors. Mephisto is not. He did drop Ravenclaw and that might be used. It does not seem to be quite as powerful as the rare composite bow that he is using, but the explosive arrows might be something to consider.

All thing considered, the items that SuperUniques drop are not very good. I was surprised at how many of them dropped nothing but gold and potions.

Code:
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Pandemonium Fortress  32      36
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Dark Wood             13       8

Small update with Sheev, he's bested Andariel!
Screenshot213 (3).jpg

She dropped a bunch of rares, none spectacular however. Bone Ash did give us a second magic ring, which is nice. Can use that for resistances or crafting later. Tournament melee is tough, restricted is more tough, and Sacrifice on top? Why did I pick such a dumb skillset? :p

I really want to push for the cube, and try to make a weapon, but it's late. I'll save that for tomorrow.

Edit: Yikes! I just glanced through my SU drops, I don't have a single 1H Magic quality item that is capable of being socketed! I was hoping to roll chippies until I could put together something to leech with, and hope to stick a couple of skulls in it, but that won't be happening until someone gives me back something useful! Maybe someone will have a Kris and a belt, and I can go to merc-support... This is tough!

Code:
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Pandemonium Fortress  32      36
logoutzero        Sheev          Paladin      HC       Lut Gholein           20      13

jiansonz said:
There are rather few ways to get non-magical items to make runewords in:

1. Starter weapon (unless you're a Necromancer or Amazon).

2. Wirt's leg(s)
Sadly, rune words cannot be made in Wirt's Leg. (I tried... :rolleyes:) However, Charsi can Imbue Wirt's Leg. It becomes a rare Hand Axe, which can be upgraded in the Horadric Cube.

EDIT: Oops! :oops: It becomes a rare Wirt's leg. It can then be upgraded with Ort + Amn + PSapphire to become a rare Hand Axe. This in turn can then be upgraded a second time with Ort + Amn + PSapphire to become a Hatchet, and, if it's good enough, can be further upgraded to Tomahawk with Fal + Um + PSapphire. I'm sorry for the mistake, and TYVM @Fruit for Liking this post and enabling me to correct it. :)

(In early 2010, when Blizzard opened a Public Test Realm for patch 1.13, I spent an insane number of hours creating level 99 Sorcs and retrieving Legs to present to Charsi. But I never received anything worth using.)

A socketed Wirt's Leg can become a magical socketed Wirt's Leg by transmuting in the Horadric Cube with the three standard gem recipe...

wirt1.jpg

...which can then be crafted with the Hit Power recipe.

wirt2.jpg

Wolron said:
He did drop Ravenclaw and that might be used. It does not seem to be quite as powerful as the rare composite bow that he is using, but the explosive arrows might be something to consider.
I haven't followed your build type, but if you decide to pump points in Holy Fire, those explosive arrows will carry your fire damage with them, so the fire splash becomes very strong. Kind of like a no-mana fireball spell out of a paladin. I made a guardian ranger paladin with an explosive arrow bow and Holy Fire and he killed surprisingly fast. For fire immunes I switched to a wizendraw and Holy Freeze.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High