[2018] Tournament: Set/Unique Worshippers 2017 [by jiansonz]

Thanks @jiansonz and @Zyr although Quinta is a Guardian-lite because I played her in SC. But she made it through death-free. Zons with a Valk can be a bit slow/tedious, but they are definitely safe!

For some reason I can't add quotes when editing, so here's a post with updated table:

[HIGHLIGHT]Set/Unique Worshippers Leaderboard[/HIGHLIGHT]
Code:
Player:            Name:           Class:       Build:            Level:  S/U found:  Area:
----------------   ------------    -----------  ----------------  ------  ----------  ---------------------------
jiansonz           Viridissima     Amazon       Valkyrie/CS       87      154         Guardian #1
PhineasB           Quinta          Amazon       Valk/CS/LS        83      120         Matriarch #1
Grisu              Oberon          Druid        Fire Claws        86      124         Hell Act IV RoF
OldSoldier         AndrewNiteTorch Paladin      Charge            77       76         Hell Act II Lut Gholein
jiansonz           Mirex           Paladin      FoH/Conviction    66       74         NM Act V Harrogath
OldSoldier         Brigid_Crane    Sorceress    Balls of Fire     53       ??         NM Act II Lut Gholein
Dezrok             Roland          Paladin      Avenger           52       40         NM Act II Lut Gholein
zoo                Alexander       Paladin      Holy Shock        48       51         NM Act I Rogue Camp
Dazliare           Pestilence      Druid        Rabies            35?      >2         Act V Harrogath
Drystan            Goldilocks      Amazon       ??                32       12         Act IV Panda Fortress
ioupainmax         Habacalva       Sorceress    Melee Enchantress 32       15         Act IV Pand. Fortress
Wolron             Paul            Paladin      FOH               20        3         Act II Lut Gholein
Jocular            GodKnowsWho     Assassin     Dragontail        ??        3         Act II Lut Gholein
GothamsBeard       Envy            Amazon       Elemental Bowzon  ??      ???         Act II Lut Gholein
hackedagainanda    Conrad          Paladin      Frost Zealot      ??      ???         Act II Lut Gholein
RedTang            PaniSuka        Sorceress    FO/Lightning      ??      ???         Act I Outer Cloister
Oakbrain           Olyssia         Assassin     Lightning Trapsin 18        0         Act I Outer Cloister
TwentyMuleTeam     TwoHearted      Druid        Fury              13        0         Act 1 Underground Passage
jamesixgun         Bethany         Sorceress    ChargedBolt/FOrb  13        1         Act 1 Dark Wood
[HIGHLIGHT]Set/Unique Martyrs[/HIGHLIGHT]

Code:
Player:            Name:           Class:       Build:            Level:  S/U found:  Area:
----------------   ------------    -----------  ----------------  ------  ----------  ---------------------------
Southpaw8668       Wuzhul          Necromancer  Skelliemancer     67      ???         NM Act IV Chaos Sanctuary
Wolron             HotBones        Necromancer  Fire Golem/BSpear 65       81         NM Act IV de Seis
Wolron             Pam             Amazon       Bowzon            67       78         NM Act IV Diablo
Wolron             ShadowLurker    Assassin     Trapper           63       60         NM Act IV Diablo
Wolron             Persephone      Sorceress    Frozen Orb        58       41         NM Act II T.Rasha's tombs
Charlo             KulKanta        Druid        Ele-Summoner      59       28         NM Act III Kurast Sewers
zoo                BorisTheBlade   Paladin      Holy Shock        56       33         NM Act II Ancient Tunnels
Oakbrain           Jathnolf        Barbarian    Berserk/War Cry   54      ???         NM Act II Far Oasis
zoo                Jens-Rune       Barbarian    Whirlwind         51       27         NM Act I Tamoe Highland
Wolron             Durbanex        Druid        Summoner          49       25         NM Act I Dark Tower
LacertaCK          Haramis         Sorceress    Meteorb           49       28         NM Act I The Hole (MSLE)
Skunkbelly         NewestSkunk     Sorceress    FO/FB             34       16         Act IV Diablo
kstuart            Chocopower      Necromancer  Fishymancer       34        9         Act IV Diablo
Charlo             Talameer        Paladin      Thornadin         32        5+        Act IV Diablo
Charlo             Meroca          Necro        Skelli/Poison     30        9         Act IV River Of Flame

@PhineasB: I would also like to compliment on your write-up, and how well you handled those Frenzytaur bosspacks and The Ancients. Scary and sneaky telebombing by Madawc...

Mirex moves on in Avt V NM. Act V really is pretty darn large...

Emilio does well with his upped Bloodthief, but against some enemies, I suspect that it's actually his Holy Freeze (backed by my maxed Conviction) that deals most of the damage. Plus the Open Wounds, of course. The spear is called Bloodthief for a reason.

Even with some of those Death Maulers around, Emilio easily held his own in this fight:

View attachment 10489

Thresh was a tough bugger. After he slammed Emilio to the ground in 3 seconds, I found it best to soften him up to a sliver from here:

View attachment 10490

Frozen River was intense, with both Gloams and fast spearwomen. A bosspack killed Emilio, and it was good that I had recognized the danger and was already on the run when he died. Found a way to take them out from across the river:

View attachment 10491

This was an interesting semi cul-de-sac placement of an evil urn:

View attachment 10492

I had popped one earlier so I knew there would be Gloams (within the same game, all urns in an area always spawn the same monster type). I saved this and one more until after I had gained the extra 10% resist all from Malah. Lightning resist was up to 68 (and Fire 54) and Mirex has over 1300 life, so those wouldn't have been a big deal even if he'd been hit by a whole slew of Lightnings.

It is extremely likely that Duriel's Shell will be at least one of the two best armors for the late game, so Larzuk was put to work on it as soon as Shenk was dead. Perfect topaz there for now.
MF also increased in Glacial Trail after Arctic Mitts dropped. I had kept Arctic Binding in my stash for a long time. Cold resist took a leap up as well. But the cost is substantial: having only half the number of potions in the belt comparied to String of Ears, losing the nice PDR and also giving up Frostburn's huge mana boost. Before switching gloves, Mirex could cast 12 Fists of the Heavens from full mana. Now it's down to 8.

My merc had used the Cathan's two pieces combo for the extra fire damage, but now that he swapped to Duriel's Shell, there was no reason to use Cathan's mask any longer. Enter Coif of Glory. I gave it to him for the lightning resist, but the Hit Blinds Target has proven very useful. Duration is far longer than I had thought - I suppose it's a level vs. level thing and that we're currently overlevelled compared to the monsters. The blinding has made several monster types less annoying/dangerous. After taking one hit from Emilio, imps, gloams, rogue archers, slingers, vile witches, etc. will stay put (more or less) and not run away. Plus the gloams' attack are reduced to their weak melee version. Frenzytaurs won't Frenzy. And so on. Snakes can still use projectiles (Bone Spear, "Fire Spear") though. I suppose that is actually their default attack when they are guest monsters...

Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but Conviction works pretty well as a sort of 'life scan' device. I can hear when it affects monsters, often before I have seen those monsters. The one thing that could be dangerous is that it's now much harder to spot Conviction bosses! Normally, when that aura hits your character, it's a large 'POTENTIAL DANGER!' sign. The danger level of course depends on what elemental damage is also around. But Mirex has that aura on his feet nearly all the time.

Got some mileage out of another aura that I only use occasionally. In Crystalline Passage, we ran into a trio of Champion Moon Lords. I thought to myself: "OK, gotta break them up so we only face one, then I can Smite-lock it. But dammit, they are just as fast as we are! Wait a minute...
*Vigor*
No, they aren't" :)

Sander's Superstition #2 (Pit of Acheron) <- same area as where I found #1 in Normal
Sigon's Gage (Bonesaw Breaker)
Arctic Mitts (Glacial Trail)

[Highlight]Destroyer Mirex the FoH/Conviction Paladin and Emilio the Holy Freeze guard, level 70, 77 S/U items found, NM Nihlathak's Temple next[/Highlight]

I started a Druid named Bruin after the first mascot of the local uni. Their colors are green and gold, and they are Bears, so I just had to try my hand at the shockwave summoner I've always wanted to play.

Also, I wanted a break from my spirit barb. This should fill in nicely until I get motivated to work on Act V NM.

Edit: Cleared up to Outer Cloister, 6 chippies employed, 0 S/U drops.

This guy is fun! Maybe the most fun I've had on an untwinked character in Act I. Only 1 point in the summons so far, something like 5 or 6 in Lycanthropy, 1 in Werebear and Maul. Maul helps normal attack with increased damage, AR, AND stun? The chargeup lasts a good while to, usually just a leading and ending hit with Maul keeps it up pretty much full time. I hope he stays this interesting.

Congratulations to Quinta!

Paul has died, so I only have a Barbarian left to try. Paul was killed in one of Tal Rasha's tombs. He was level 27 and found 6 SUs.

Code:
jiansonz           Viridissima     Amazon       Valkyrie/CS       87      154         Guardian #1
Grisu              Oberon          Druid        Fire Claws        86      124         Hell Act IV RoF
PhineasB           Quinta          Amazon       Valk/Passive/?    83      120         Guardian #2
OldSoldier         AndrewNiteTorch Paladin      Charge            77       76         Hell Act II Lut Gholein
jiansonz           Mirex           Paladin      FoH/Conviction    70       77         NM Act V Nilathak
OldSoldier         Brigid_Crane    Sorceress    Balls of Fire     53       ??         NM Act II Lut Gholein
Dezrok             Roland          Paladin      Avenger           52       40         NM Act II Lut Gholein
zoo                Alexander       Paladin      Holy Shock        48       51         NM Act I Rogue Camp
Dazliare           Pestilence      Druid        Rabies            35?      >2         Act V Harrogath
Drystan            Goldilocks      Amazon       ??                32       12         Act IV Panda Fortress
ioupainmax         Habacalva       Sorceress    Melee Enchantress 32       15         Act IV Pand. Fortress
Jocular            GodKnowsWho     Assassin     Dragontail        ??        3         Act II Lut Gholein
GothamsBeard       Envy            Amazon       Elemental Bowzon  ??      ???         Act II Lut Gholein
hackedagainanda    Conrad          Paladin      Frost Zealot      ??      ???         Act II Lut Gholein
RedTang            PaniSuka        Sorceress    FO/Lightning      ??      ???         Act I Outer Cloister
Oakbrain           Olyssia         Assassin     Lightning Trapsin 18        0         Act I Outer Cloister
TwentyMuleTeam     TwoHearted      Druid        Fury              13        0         Act 1 Underground Passage
jamesixgun         Bethany         Sorceress    ChargedBolt/FOrb  13        1         Act 1 Dark Wood

Code:
Southpaw8668       Wuzhul          Necromancer  Skelliemancer     67      ???         NM Act IV Chaos Sanctuary
Wolron             HotBones        Necromancer  Fire Golem/BSpear 65       81         NM Act IV de Seis
Wolron             Pam             Amazon       Bowzon            67       78         NM Act IV Diablo
Wolron             ShadowLurker    Assassin     Trapper           63       60         NM Act IV Diablo
Wolron             Persephone      Sorceress    Frozen Orb        58       41         NM Act II T.Rasha's tombs
Charlo             KulKanta        Druid        Ele-Summoner      59       28         NM Act III Kurast Sewers
zoo                BorisTheBlade   Paladin      Holy Shock        56       33         NM Act II Ancient Tunnels
Oakbrain           Jathnolf        Barbarian    Berserk/War Cry   54      ???         NM Act II Far Oasis
zoo                Jens-Rune       Barbarian    Whirlwind         51       27         NM Act I Tamoe Highland
Wolron             Durbanex        Druid        Summoner          49       25         NM Act I Dark Tower
LacertaCK          Haramis         Sorceress    Meteorb           49       28         NM Act I The Hole (MSLE)
Skunkbelly         NewestSkunk     Sorceress    FO/FB             34       16         Act IV Diablo
kstuart            Chocopower      Necromancer  Fishymancer       34        9         Act IV Diablo
Charlo             Talameer        Paladin      Thornadin         32        5+        Act IV Diablo
Charlo             Meroca          Necro        Skelli/Poison     30        9         Act IV River Of Flame
Wolron             Paul            Paladin      FOH               27        6         Act II Tal Rasha Tomb

I haven't seen any, nor a single shrine yet. They aren't even dropping. I've only had 9 chips fall so far.

Edit: Some observations so far:

The Dire Wolves seem to really hate corpses, to the point they would rather sit and bark and growl at something that's already dead instead of attack something that's beating me to a pulp. (I think they are trying to eat the corpse to gain their rage buff, but there's something affecting it negatively, a range thing, or a client/server desynch, something isn't right with it.)

The hit counter on the Ravens doesn't seem to reset when casting new ones over old ones. Many times I notice 1 or 2 of them gone, so I will resummon all 5. The 3 or 4 that were still alive go away almost immediately. Seems like more client/server desynch at work here. (Didn't the most recent patch move almost everything client side? I think I read something like this recently...)

I need to do some search-fu on the were-skills, mostly to learn how Hunger's -75% damage interacts with the rest of the damage formula (I.E. easily offset by Might or HoW) or if it's something much worse. Also, I need to figure out if Shockwave is IAS or FCR, gut tells me FCR since he is using his cast animation, but I don't have any gear to provide either yet, so I can't verify.

The guides I've glanced at about this build seem to rely HEAVILY on +skills, which seems not-so-likely to happen on this attempt. I'm not sure how the summons will do at close to stock levels, or where I'm going to squeeze in points on Shockwave to increase the stun length. Maybe after Dire Wolves, but before the Bear. I'm just not really sure which way to go with him, this is probably the furthest I've ever gotten with any Druid. I do like the fixed mana cost of it.

Also, HOLY MOLY DRUID IS SLOW ON EVERYTHING! Attack animations are looooong, block/recovery feel like he's pretending to be in bullet-time. A normal pack of skeleton archers is just about auto-lock until some of the minions start to soak up the hits, or the Ravens blind. I really hoped a defensive dork would help, but without a good baseline defense from gear, the buff isn't worth a whole lot. (LCS showing mid 40% to low 50% for most things to hit me. Hopefully this will get better with other-than-plain gear.)

Edit: So -75% at the end of the formula on all physical damage (CB/OW not affected) for Hunger, and FCR, although anything faster than 11 frames seems nigh-improbable on this run, for Shockwave.

Last edit:

Everything cleared up to and including the Canyon. It's getting late (for me) so I think I will call it a day before starting any of the tombs. No other S/U drops since the pictures above, but I did nab my first Flawed Topaz, and a 3os Breastplate from Fara. As soon as I can get another Flawed together, I'll drop the Chipped Chain and move up. I'd forgotten to save other gems for upgrade/rune recipes later, so I'm starting to save them now. Hopefully there's still enough time in the game to grab a couple of each chip at least.

Yes, I have often felt the need to recast one or more Dire Wolf right where I need them because they don't move where I want them to.

About the corpse-eating thing: I think they can't eat skeleton corpses but the game still makes them try it. A corpse eating Vine* could get rid of those and would hopefully make it smoother.

(*For this purpose, I prefer Solar Creeper because you can then cast it directly at such corpses, and since you are always down on max mana at that point, the vine will want to eat.)

TheBoss (singing Barbarian) is taking voice lessons, but he's not ready for prime time yet. He has killed Andariel and is ready to take on Radament. Level 21(on Andariel) in Act I was kind of unusual for me, I am usually about half way between 20 and 21.

His 3 items are Hsarus's Iron Heel, Razontine and DeathSpade.

Code:
PhineasB           Quinta          Amazon       Valk/Passive/?    83      120         Guardian #2
jiansonz           Mirex           Paladin      FoH/Conviction    70       77         NM Act V Nilathak
Wolron             TheBoss         Barbarian    Singer            21        3         Act II Lut Gholein

Code:
Wolron             Paul            Paladin      FOH               27        6         Act II Tal Rasha Tomb

I think you nailed it, probably the same list of mobs that you can't use Find Potion on, they can't get any meaty goodness to buff themselves. I'll have to try my hand at re-casting them strategically. As if I already don't have enough mana!

Not much problems with corpse disposal in of itself, Maul (and now Shockwave) are pretty apt to handle any raisers, but I've been thinking I may want to run Solar Creeper anyway, to help level out the blue pot demand. Thanks for the tips!

(I think I'm gonna fire it up in a few here and attempt at least one, maybe two false tombs)

Edit: Ran the right side false tombs, up to the top center, which was Kaa's house. Did get a drop, and the start of a set:
View attachment 10529

Cathan's Seal, along with the armor, adds a nice 15-20 fire damage. I'm gonna let the merc continue to wear the Mesh so I can keep my MF up a bit longer, especially for chests and poppables, but will probably wear it once the second armor falls, depending on what it is. Now it's bedtime. I'll try to finish out the act tomorrow.

The always scary Tomb Vipers were around on Nihlathak's floor. I think I've now drawn them the last 5 times I've played that place in NM/Hell. At least it feels that way. They are no big deal if you know how to NOT move when they have fired their poison missiles, but it usually means several deaths for melee mercs. Emilio only suffered two, and it was against the bosspack the evil urn spawned. I was lucky they didn't spawn closer to me (or right on top of me!).

Teleport? Well, duh!

View attachment 10530

Separated Ancients with the help of Vigor. Managed to lose Korlic on the other side. My plan with Smite-lock on Talic wasn't perfect, he slipped the grip twice and whirled on me once. But he had a tame weapon and there wasn't any Amp or something like that. In fact, I don't remember their abilities other than that Korlic was FE. Not sure how much of the old bug is still around, so I stayed well away from him.

WSK 1 was the trickiest and most dangerous floor, with Amp-casting witches, Death Lords (only regular ones - phew!) and spawners. The rest of the act wasn't exciting.

I am one skill point away from maxing the FoH synergy, Holy Shock. Not sure where to put points after that. I've used more and more Conversion, and I think the '% chance to convert' is fine the way it is.
I've put one point into Meditation - it's useful between fights if it isn't yet time for a town trip. Maybe I should put some more points in Smite for longer stun? I don't really need it for the stunlocking of regular bosses, but sometimes I may want to "juggle" two monsters, and maybe increased stun duration helps against Ancients and such.

Some significant finds this last leg of Act V, especially Rockstopper.

Sigon's Visor #2 (Halls of Anguish)
[Highlight]The Diggler[/Highlight] #3 (Halls of Anguish)
Laying of Hands (Halls of Anguish)
[Highlight]Rockstopper[/Highlight] (Halls of Vaught)
[Highlight]Ruusthandle[/Highlight] (Worldstone Keep level 2)
Cathan's Visage #5 (Worldstone Keep level 2)
Laying of Hands #2 (Worldstone Keep level 2)
Sigon's Visor #3 (Worldstone Keep level 3)
Civerb's Icon (Baal)

[Highlight]Conqueror Mirex the FoH/Conviction Paladin and Emilio the Holy Freeze guard, level 74, 86 S/U items found, NM Moo Moo Farm next[/Highlight]

TheBoss has killed Duriel on P8 with very little difficulty thanks to a lot of life and a persistent merc. The merc never took a single hit because Duriel concentrated on TheBoss.

The best item found in Act II was Civerb's Cudgel. That item allowed TheBoss to significantly augment the new Act II merc. Here is a list of what he has found so far:
Hsarus's Iron Heel (worn)
Arctic Binding light belt (worn)
The Hand of Broc light gloves (worn)
Cathan's Mesh chain mail (worn by merc)
Razortine (used by merc)
Civerb's Cudgel (used by TheBoss)
Lead Crow light XBow (off hand)

Four more items not used are: another Razortine, Isenhart's Lightbrand, Gleamscythe, DeathSpade

TheBoss still has a Jawbone Cap and a ring mail that have enough topazes in them to get 56 magic find. The merc also has a skullcap with +18 MF (if that does any good).

Code:
jiansonz           Mirex           Paladin      FoH/Conviction    74       86         NM Cows
Wolron             TheBoss         Barbarian    Singer            28       11         Act III Kurast Docks

Code:

Duriel has fallen! It wasn't a bad fight, used 2 health pots and 3 mana. Just juggled keeping all the summons up, keeping Maul charged, and attacking. The life leech from Cathan's Seal helped to keep the life up between his Holy Freeze pulses, and when he would randomly turn and 1-hit a wolf. Duriel gifted us with two more pieces of equipment, Cleglaw's Tooth and another Cathan's Seal. Before that, we got Angelic Wings and Arctic Binding, I think both in the true tomb.

View attachment 10536
View attachment 10537
View attachment 10538

The Jungles up next! S/U count at Duriel's death is 10.

TheBoss has killed Mephisto on P8 with a little difficulty. The WarCry shout did not work well on him, but TheBoss has also developed a little killing capability with his cudgel (about 200 damage). So, a few potions and a little patience is all it took.

The best item found in Act III was this ring that he received for retrieving the Gidbin blade.
Death Master Ring
+3 to Energy +3 to Life +6 to Mana +31 to Attack Rating 7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 10% Faster Cast Rate

Here is a list of what he has found so far:
Sandar's Riprap (worn)
Arctic Binding light belt (worn)
Sandar's Taboo (worn)
Isenhart's Case (worn)
Cathan's Mesh chain mail (worn by merc)
Razortine (used by merc)
Civerb's Cudgel (used by TheBoss)
Lead Crow light XBow (off hand)

Ten more items not used are: Hsarus's Iron Heel, The Hand of Broc, another Civerb's Cudgel, another Razortine, another Isenhart's Case, Isenhart's Lightbrand, Gleamscythe, DeathSpade, Sigon's Gage, Cleglaw's Tooth

TheBoss still has a Jawbone Cap with +18 MF and +3 Mace Mastery. The merc also has a skullcap with +18 MF (if that does any good).

Code:
jiansonz           Mirex           Paladin      FoH/Conviction    74       86         NM Cows
Wolron             TheBoss         Barbarian    Singer            32       18         Act IV Panda Fortress
Logoutzero         Bruin           Druid        Summoner          28       10         Act III Kurast Docks

Code:

2 more Isenhart's Lightbrand fell from the same pack of normal monsters today. What a waste. No new equipment after today's session, but clear up to Stormtree.

Gave up 2 points to try out Solar Creeper. Yuck. I read it as "recover 2% of corpse life as mana" but it's really "dispose a corpse to recover 2% of your max mana." Great if I need to slowly thin out a crowd of dead stuff, but surprisingly, it interferes with the wolves keeping their bloodlust buff up. Did ding 30, and dropped my first point in the bear. He seems cool, but 3 wolves are better methinks, against twelve to thirteen million Flayers. I think it's mostly bear for bosses or hard stuff, wolves for general, or at least I think I've read that a few times.

Some more observations after playing a Druid for basically the first time:

I don't know if my mouse is wearing out, or if maybe the colors of the desk I am on are affecting the button clicks, or if maybe I am doing something unknowingly, but the Druid gets stuck, a lot. A lot.

I am a RMB-driver type. I set hotkeys, and pretty much keep RMB down 90% of the time I play melee builds and just switch hotkeys. I pretty much lift off only to check boss mods, or to use my backup skill, which usually gets assigned to LMB. When trying to play like this with the Druid, I'd say on average twice per encounter, he acts as if I had something namelocked that has died. He just stands there. Even with Attack on RMB, he won't move toward the cursor, he won't swing at anything that comes into range, he's just planted there until I let go of RMB. I've played the same way for years, and I've never noticed this behavior before. I'm assuming it can't be the Druid, either the environment changed, or it's me and I just don't realize it. Am I crazy?

Bear vs. wolves: This is my experience also. Many enemies, wolves are better. Few enemies, bear is better.

Can't help you with the 'stuck' thing. I haven't played shifter Druids much (only a Shockwave bear (basically a merc helper, so not much melee) for any long stretch) and I am a player who uses LMB for all melee skills (except Assassin kicks for some reason...).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High