2018 Spring RFL Results Thread: 1st round

@T72on1 simply beautiful! I'm a bit jealous but in the mean time very happy for you!

Grats once more and it was well deserved indeed! :)

Congrats T72on1 on that amazing haul of 2 Zods plus! And grats also to Pb-pal and our moderator for their Zods as well. Awesome haul pics from everyone that played. @Grape, No results from me as RL caught up and I had no time to run. But I will take part in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

What MF did you use?

I didn't use any MF- it doesn't affect the chance for the jewel base drop, only the quality.

@ffs - You guessed right, a standard Cow Javazon setup.

2x Non-eth non-up'd Titan's (2nd in inventory)
Griffon's w/ Ias Jewel
Enigma
Spirit
Crafted ammy: +2 Amazon, 8 FCR, +70 mana, 30 FR
Ravenfrost
Rare ring: 10 FCR, 6 ML, +79 Mana, +7 Res
3/20 Gloves
Razortail
Silkweaves

Inventory
6x Java GC's
Titan's
7x Mana/Life SC
3x4 empty space

I know the FCR from the rare ring is overkill, but I used it for the mana leech and +mana.
Might merc to boost damage for leech, although LPK and MPK might have held up fine.
Swap Titan's as needed during runs. I lose a GC but I rather have the ability to swap Titan's from inventory.

Awesome haul pics and finds everyone, love hearing how these competitions go for people. The stories of the ups and downs and big surprises is half the fun of these things, at least for me. :)

@NanoMist - Awesome haul there, some serious goodies you got! Thanks for all those data points too, I always know I can depend on you for some good theorycrafting fodder in the future. :)

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind that this would be possible. I was just in disbelief. I was at a stunning score of 197.5, RFO score was 264.6 !!!

That's insane. That RFO score is enough to beat every single RFO entry except for the winning one by Gripp in that one crazy year with multiple 200+ scores.

I'm pretty sure he was quite surprised that he didn't get into first place, and with that kind of score he should :). Lovely obviously that he taking it so well and accepts second place like it is. Given his overall win last year and now this score again, I think he has a very high chance of claiming the victory in the end after 3 rounds.

I was surprised, but honestly quite happy. These competitions are ultimately about everyone getting some new toys to play with, and it's super nice to see everyone have some good success here. Oh and yes, the win last year softened the blow a little ;)

Last edited:
I pulled some statistics for this round, and plan to do the same for the next round:

Code:
Round         Zod   Cham   Jah   Ber   Sur   Lo   Ohm   Vex   Gul   Ist   Mal  Um   Pul   #HRs #qualifiers

Cows top5      4     3      5     7     2     4    4     6     5     7     1    8    2     35     58
Cows all qual  4     4      5     7     2     7    6     8    12    13    16   16   21     43    119

Trav top5
Trav all qual

Areas top5
Areas all qual

Top5 are top 5 runes only, all qual are all qualifiers found.

It's not completely clear if @drmalawi found exactly 5 qualifiers or more. If it's the latter, I have to add those to the table.

Amount of Zods found definitely stands out of course. More Ber runes than Jah runes is statistically not what you'd expect either. Same goes for Lo vs Sur, certainly since it's a 7 vs 2 ratio there.

Considering we had 16 people running, we had almost 2.7 HR per participant. Given that not all participants did the full 20 hours, the actual amount on average probably is a bit over 3 HRs per participant. On average, every participant found 7.4 qualifiers. Again, knowing that not every participant did 20 hours, the actual amount will be close to 8 qualifiers per participant.

I can't find the data about what can be expected on average for our Cow runs (although I know that Gripphon posted them during the first RFL and iirc someone reposted them or did his own calculations in the running thread for the first round), but I'm quite sure in the end the conclusion has to be that we got plenty of new shiny rocks :).

Edit: got a reply from drmalawi, added the extra 2 qualifiers to the table. Also changed the wording, hopefully for less confusion.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Cows+ is all qualifiers found at cows, while Cows is only the top 5 of everyone. I put a line below the table to explain it, but couldn't really find a good wording. Any ideas how I should state it so it's more clear?

Edit: I adjusted the table and rephrased it. Let me know if this is better or if I can do something to make it more clear.

Last edited:
I think its more comprehensive now :) What is considered High rune? Vex and above?

I have a spreadsheet set up, I can just tweek the numbers since in the calculation I showed in my vid was based on 300 cow kills/run and 200 runs/player. In the calculation below, I have increased to 350 cow kills/run and 300 runs/player and 15 players in total for simplicity.

These are my result for the above assumptions (total qualifiers)

Pul 26,3
Um 17,5
Mal 17,9
Ist 11,9
Gul 12,6
Vex 8,4
Ohm 8,9
Lo 5,9
Sur 6,5
Ber 4,4
Jah 4,9
Cham 3,3
Zod 1,2

Total: 129,7
Total Vex and above: 43,5

Still #Zods is a huge outlier

Last edited:
HR is Vex+ yes.

It's probably hard to compare the exact numbers with your results. Run times were posted by most people, but not all. Also they varied from 2:50 to, I don't know, 6 minutes or more? Also we had an active runner doing 1.07, which also influences results. He didn't find anything, so in this case, as far as statistics go, that wouldn't be too hard though, just let him out.

200 runs per player sounds low though, not sure about 300 cows.

@Shuffleblast Two people did more than one set. Only the best set counts. One of the two players was Nanomist, who found a Cham, but not on his best set. Hence it's not a qualifier.

Nah you are just getting used to fast paced touraments. You'll get better at it.

Nah you are just getting used to fast paced touraments. You'll get better at it.
That comes with gear. I cubed my 2 sur's into a ber and made beast and I also made an Oath. I had a WW barb going and before this and he'll be my council runner. I've already started to get a feel for it. Enigma is still a long way off, though.

That comes with gear. I cubed my 2 sur's into a ber and made beast and I also made an Oath. I had a WW barb going and before this and he'll be my council runner. I've already started to get a feel for it. Enigma is still a long way off, though.

You'll have Enigma after round 2 is done! :D

Remember that the single most important thing about efficient running, certainly in fast paced tournaments like this, is your map. Even the difference between a decent map and a good map is huge. For my Blizz sorc for example, it meant the difference between having my merc die an awful lot, and having him die once in an hour or even less. Next to the big difference in run times that is of course.

So spend enough time rerolling until you have a good map. For a non-teleporting character I think that's one where the council is completely inside the building. Run inside the building, exit to Durance 1 and back to Travincal to get your merc with you, start killing :).

Btw, do you need any gear? Reaper's for the merc for example? Or a low roll Grief? I have plenty of gear I don't need, so ...

So spend enough time rerolling until you have a good map. For a non-teleporting character I think that's one where the council is completely inside the building. Run inside the building, exit to Durance 1 and back to Travincal to get your merc with you, start killing :).

I have such map with my Zealot and was what I was looking for, not "hard" to roll for.
For non-teleporting chars, I like the zealot (or any paladin) the most due to the fast movement speed of charge.
I guess a trapsin with BoS and some Dragon Flight (teleporting via trashmobs in Travincal) is superb choice aswell.

Remember that the single most important thing about efficient running, certainly in fast paced tournaments like this, is your map. Even the difference between a decent map and a good map is huge. For my Blizz sorc for example, it meant the difference between having my merc die an awful lot, and having him die once in an hour or even less. Next to the big difference in run times that is of course.

Btw, do you need any gear? Reaper's for the merc for example? Or a low roll Grief? I have plenty of gear I don't need, so ...
I actually spent some time last night rerolling. All the council minus Toorc was inside and he was just to the left of the entrance. I ran it 5 more times to make sure there was no variation in spawn and it was all the same. I shopped some echoing javelins from Anya after about 2 hours of going in and out of Nihl's temple. My run time is around 35 seconds and I haven't died. I did find an Ohm on the first run of that map so I think the game is giving me a sign. :D

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High