[2018] Spirit Tournament [by Wolron]

logoutzero said:
Well that was short, got pinned against a Lightning Enchanted zombie in Catacombs 3. 5 Ravens, and a couple wolves trying to take him down, death was swift. I should have pumped some Vitality. I might try again.
I feel your pain. Please do try again, it gets lonely out here. As you can see, I am trying all character types to see which ones do best when limited to almost no gear. Pumping vitality does seem to be a requirement for all of them and the scoring method encourages vitality to get a lot of life.

My singing Barbarian has a lot of backpack space available and I have given him a lot of vitality. He had a little trouble early in the game because he could not find ethereal weapons. That has changed, ethereals are dropping often enough to keep him equipped. I do not see him getting in trouble until Diablo in Act 4. But, by then he will have War Cry and may actually be able to do some of his own damage. Until then the merc is critical.

My cold sorceress has backpack space problems, but she has a lot of offensive strength. Orgainizing her resources is the major challenge (and looking out for cold immunes!). Again, the merc is important. Especially prior to getting the cold skills going.

The Amazon is weak at this stage, but she is still on P8 for all but the bosses. She is not as capable as the barbarian, but that will change when the Valkyrie (level 30) joins her. The decoy might help in the tough battles, but she has not used it yet because there has been no need. My main concern with her is that she gets past Duriel.

The Necromancer has been fun. He is a summoner and is doing just fine. He killed off Duriel without leaving to get more minions! At this point, he may be the best character for this tournament because he does not need armor or weapons and his minions are very capable.

The Trap Assassin is using blade fury and fire blast now, but she hopes to get Death Sentry developed later. She is doing fine, but does take a while to kill things with blade fury. She should get to NM with very little trouble.

The Paladin was difficullt early on. The merc has made things easier in Act 2 but killing anything besides the undead is still difficult. Holy bolt works well on the undead, but zeal and blessed hammer are a bit of a challenge for me. I have trouble placing the hammer where it will be effective, and zeal is just not good enough with the weapons that I have found.

I started with a Druid and he did fine up until NM Act 2. He should have gone further, but I was not careful enough.

My advice would be to try the Necromancer, but be careful early on. The summoner tree seems to be the best.

Elvis (Singing Barbarian) has cubed the staff and is ready to go into the palace. No items of any value have been found recently.

Scoring: Life + 5 x Waypoints - 2xStrength - 5 x Level
523 + 5 x 15 - 2 x 34 - 5 x 25 = 405
Code:
Player:            Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron             Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +405       25    The Palace
Wolron             Angel       Amazon    P&M            +328       25    The Palace
Wolron             Spook       Necro     Summoner       +279       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron             Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +264       35    Harrogath
Wolron             Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +233       25    The Palace
Wolron             Redeemed    Paladin   Combat         +227       25    The Palace
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

The Second Dead:   Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero         Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Wolron said:
Yes, I ignore that because I can usually find socketed plain items without any trouble. However, socketed ethereal items are a bit harder to find. Thanks for the reminder!

Upgrading a merc weapon could be very useful. Upgrading anything else does little more than increase the DEF though, so I think that would be a bit useless. Am I missing something? (yeah, I probably am)
Crafting Blood Rings looks good on paper

Brak said:
Crafting Blood Rings looks good on paper
When some of my characters get perfect ruby and SOL, that does sould like a good possibility. Diaphanous is the closest, she needs another ruby to cube her perfect ruby. The bad thing is that it would be very lucky to get a good one on just one try and the ingredients are not easy to come by.

Redeemed (Hammerdan) has killed Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. He is still trying to learn how to use that hammer. Most of his kills are done by the merc, although he is very efficient against the undead (his 4 skill points in holy bolt are amazing).

384 + 5 x 19 - 2 x 33 - 5 x 28 = 273
Code:
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron             Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +405       25    The Palace
Wolron             Angel       Amazon    P&M            +328       25    The Palace
Wolron             Spook       Necro     Summoner       +279       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron             Redeemed    Paladin   Combat         +273       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron             Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +264       35    Harrogath
Wolron             Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +233       25    The Palace
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero         Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Angel (P&M Amazon) has killed Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. She has a difficult timing killing things and has played quite a bit at P3. She will try P8 again for a while in Kurast, but may have to back off again until the Valkyrie joins her. Hopefully the decoy and keep the mobs at a distance. She does not have any good items yet, but here are a couple polearms that she will use in Act 3 until they break.

Gemmed Trident
Two-Hand Damage: 13 to 22
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Dexterity: 14 Required Strength: 28 Required Level: 12
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion Item Level: 19 Fingerprint: 0xc69f204
+80 poison damage over 5 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used) ( two emeralds)

Vicious Brandistock of Worth
Two-Hand Damage: 14 to 32
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Dexterity: 40 Required Strength: 30 Required Level: 6
Spear Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion Item Level: 17 Fingerprint: 0xded36891
+31% Enhanced Damage
+1 to Minimum Damage
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

The Trident gives more damage, but is slower. I am not sure which one will do the best.

465 + 5 x 19 - 2 x 30 - 5 x 27 = 365
Code:
Wolron             Angel       Amazon    P&M            +365       27    Kurast Dock
Wolron             Redeemed    Paladin   Combat         +273       28    Kurast Dock

Glassine (Trapper Amazon) has killed Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. She is probably Wolron's most powerful entrant in this tournament, though her score is lower than most. She does not take much damage because she deals in traps like Fire Blast and Blade Fury. Even at that, she lost her shield in the battle with Duriel. It was already down to 1 durability prior to the battle. Since the shield had a Diamond in its socket, it will be missed.

In preparation for the Duriel battle, Glassine decided to make a couple rune word items. She knew they would not last forever, but had confidence that they would still be around for the Mephisto battle that would await her in Act 3. The items were Stealth and Nadir. I seldom use Nadir because I hate the lack of light, but Glassine thrives on that so she had no objections. I know these items are well known, but here are the relavant stats:

Stealth Leather Armor
Defense: 22 Durability: 12 of 13 Required Strength: 5 Required Level: 17
+6 to Dexterity +15 to Maximum Stamina Regenerate Mana 15% Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Poison Resist +30% 25% Faster Run/Walk 25% Faster Hit Recovery 25% Faster Cast Rate
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: 2 used)

Nadir Superior Skull Cap
Defense: 39 Durability: 7 of 11 Required Strength: 5 Required Level: 13
+5 to Strength +13% Enhanced Defense +50% Enhanced Defense +10 Defense
+30 Defense vs. Missile Increase Maximum Durability 13% -33% Extra Gold from Monsters
-3 to Light Radius +2 to Mana After Each Kill Level 13 Cloak of Shadows (7/9 Charges)

Glassine used a couple of the "cloak of shadows" charges in the Duriel fight. I do not know if that helped, but Duriel went down (using P8) without going back to town and without the merc taking any damage at all. Glassine did use a couple health and full rejuv potions, along with a thaw potion at the beginning of the fight. I was surprised at the ease with which Duriel succombed. Total duration of the battle was less than 45 seconds.

Of course, the drop was useless to Glassine. She left the 5 rare items on the floor of Duriel's cave because they were all too heavy to pick up (why couldn't one of them have been Ethereal?) and she will allow Wolron to stash the Lightbrand in his S/U Atma file for reasons that not even he understands.

The next character to be brought through Act 2 will be the singing Barbarian (Elvis). That will be a different story. I wonder if he can defeat Duriel on P1. He leads Wolron's team of 6 because of his Vitality, but will it be enough to allow him to survive?

378 + 5 x 19 - 2 x 32 - 5 x 28 = 269
Code:
Player:           Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
---------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +405       25    The Palace
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +365       27    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +279       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Combat         +273       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +269       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +264       35    Harrogath
Grisu             Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Mir               Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

Wolron            Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero        Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Elvis (Singing Barbarian) has killed Duriel and moved on to the Kurast Docks. He depends quite a bit on the merc to kill things, but he does his part by usiing his Battle Cry and duel wielding a couple pretty weak weapons:

Sabre of Self-Repair
One-Hand Damage: 4 to 12 Fast Attack Speed Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Throwing Axe
One-Hand Damage: 6 to 10 Quantity 49
Required Dexterity: 30
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed

The Sabre is nice because it has self repair. The throwing axe is nice because there are 49 of them now and there are 130 more in Elvis's stash. This allows him to flail away continuously without finding himself without a weapon.

He is considering replacing the throwing Axe with this mace. If he does, he will socket it with a flawless emerald. Of course, that means he will lose the emerald too when the thing wears out.

Superior Mace
One-Hand Damage: 4 to 16 Durability: 34 of 34
Required Strength: 17
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
+1 to Maximum Damage
Increase Maximum Durability 10%
150% Damage to Undead
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used)

589 + 5 x 19 - 2 x 34 - 5 x 28 = 476
Code:
---------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +476       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +365       27    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +279       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Combat         +273       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +269       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +264       35    Harrogath
Grisu             Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Mir               Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

Wolron            Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero        Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Glassine (Trapper) has traveled through some rough territory to end up in Lower Kurast. Her Stealth armor and Nadir helm are more than half used up and she is looking for replacements. As a trapper, her equipment lasts reasonably long, but not forever. She would really like to find some self repair ethereal rare armor (like her gloves), but she may have to do without that sort of miracle. For now, she must concentrate on getting to Mephisto.

442 + 5 x 23 - 2 x 26 - 5 x 30 = 355
Code:
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +476       28    Kurast Dock
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +355       30    Lower Kurast

Wolron said:
You're missed in the Spirit Tournament! There isn't much competition there so I have had to provide my own competition. Yes, the old days are missed.

The Amazon that I am playing has been hard to work with, so I can see why you might have gotten discouraged (bored) She is a melee character and ethereals wear out quickly.
Well, actually I have not quit, just paused momentarily because RL keeps me busy - I fully intend to go on with Hildr.

So you're doing the tournament Sept again? Great stuff and good reads! Good luck for all of your characters! It really would be something though if 5-50 more people joined :)

Redeemed (Hammerdan) has traveled through some rough territory to end up in Lower Kurast. He has been finding a lot of ethereal equipment, so there are no problems there. He has recently used runes to make a Stealth Armor out of a nice Splint Mail. Of course, Redeemed cannot use it because it is way to advanced (requires 41 strength). So, for now at least the merc has a nice armor. In fact, since his equipment takes no damage, he will probably be the owner of that Stealth armor for some time.

Redeemed has his heart set on a 3 socketed ethereal targe because he has found the Ort, Tal and Ral runes for Ancient's Pledge. He found one of those targes really early on in Act 1, he put a couple diamonds into it and it has served him well, but now it is down to one durability point, so it is not long for this world.

Redeemed is getting pretty good with his level 11 blessed hammer. He is looking forward to the battle with Mephisto and I suppose that is a big mistake because he is going to use P8 on him.

468 + 5 x 23 - 2 x 31 - 5 x 31 = 366
Code:
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdan      +366       31    Lower Kurast
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +355       30    Lower Kurast

Angel (P&M Amazon) has traveled through some rough territory to end up in Lower Kurast. She has been finding a lot of ethereal equipment, so there are no problems there. She has recently reached level 30 nd now has a Valkyrie. She is doing very well. So well in fact that it is hard to believe that she had to back off from P8 at the end of act 1 and for a while in act 2.

Angel finally found an ethereal item for the Charsi Embue quest reward. Here is what Charsi made for her:

Brimstone Track Chain Boots
Defense: 17
Durability: 9 of 9
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 18
+16% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +17%
Poison Resist +32%
14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
10% Faster Run/Walk

These will wear out in time, but now that the Valkyrie has joined the fight, Angel will try to take less damage so that her equipment lasts a bit longer.

536 + 5 x 23 - 2 x 30 - 5 x 31 = 436
Code:
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +436       30    Lower Kurast
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdan      +366       31    Lower Kurast

Spook (Necro - Summoner) has traveled through some rough territory to end up in Lower Kurast. He has been finding a lot of ethereal equipment, so there are no problems there. His mercenary has a Stealth Ring Mail and Nadir Full Helm. Spook prefers to travel light. His major find in this act is an ethereal sash. Modest though it is, having two rows of potions is a major improvement and makes playing the game a lot easier. But, never satisfied, he is looking for an ethereal belt now. Since he does very little fighting on his own, his armor will last a long time. Probably long enough to find something really nice!

Spook's iron Golem is a Maul. Not very fast, but it does pack a wallop.

413 + 5 x 23 - 2 x 20 - 5 x 30 = 338
Code:
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +436       30    Lower Kurast
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +338       30    Lower Kurast

I've been following this tournament for a bit, and finally adding myself in!

Code:
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +338       30    Lower Kurast
DariusTriplet     NearDead    Sorceress Fire           +333       37    Arreat Plateu

I decided to start with a Fireballer, since you can get far with one item (Leaf/Insight) that doesn't require any strength. That, and it's a lot of fun to snap off Fireballs through Normal/NM :)

So far, no great surprises - Fireball can power through Normal, and my merc (Act 2 Prayer) is surprisingly capable with just a plain ethereal Spear. He was able to take out the Grand Vizier without any help (admittedly, on p1), which was something of a surprise.

My most notable encounter was against Bishibosh; Firebolt made short work of everything in Act 1, but I had to resort to 1-2 damage fisticuffs for him. I was lucky enough to have a well spawn near his camp, so there was a lot of punching -> refill as soon as the well replenished -> repeat for 20 minutes.

Regarding the rules on personalization - how does it impact storebought items? Can I empty my inventory and go shopping for a white/socketed item, then take it back to Anya to personalize?

DariusTriplet said:
I've been following this tournament for a bit, and finally adding myself in!

Welcome to the fray! I am sure you read the rules, but just in case, there are only two that you will need to be careful with (until you get to Anya). First of all, all equipment except jewelry must be ethereal (both you and the merc). Second, you are limited to the space in your backpack that is usable. You are a sorceress at level 37, so you have 10/2 + 37/3 squares that you can use. That equals 17. Those 17 squares hold all your potions/charms/arrows/bolts/charms/oils/gases/Horodric Cube. The good thing is that the cube gives you 12 more spaces (minus the 4 that the cube requires). The belt is also critical to carry more potions. I have a level 30 barbarian that still has no belt:(.

Regarding the rules on personalization - how does it impact storebought items? Can I empty my inventory and go shopping for a white/socketed item, then take it back to Anya to personalize?
The item for personalization can come from buying it, gambling for it, or finding it in the field. Note: if you find it in the field, the only way to get it back to camp is to drop all your stuff on the ground, pick up that one item and then crawl or teleport back to camp. Once you have your item, you must declare it as your Anya personalization item. That means that your decision has been made and cannot be changed. For that reason, I will only declare an item early if it is a miracle drop. Otherwise, I would wait until the last opportunity arrives and then I would gamble with Anya or buy from Larzuk. The only thing that bothers me about your question is that you say "white/socketed" I would hope to find a really nice gold(unique) item and then have Larzuk socket it either before or right after the personalization. Of course, if you have a nice white socketed item, you could always cube a runeword with it.

As for the "emptying your inventory" before buying the item, I did not really address this in the rules. The emptying of the inventory in the field is required because you have to drag the item back to town and that is heavy work. Once you are in town, it is assumed that you can do most anything with it. Therefore, just buy it or gamble for it and have it personalized by Anya before you take it out into the field.

Elvis (Singing Barbarian) has traveled through some rough territory to end up in Lower Kurast. He has been finding a lot of ethereal equipment, so there are no problems there (Except for a belt!). His mercenary has a nice weapon that was found in Lower Kurast:

Gemmed Scythe 'TalTalRal' Two-Hand Damage: 12 to 30
Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed Adds 5-30 fire damage +150 poison damage over 5 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Elvis had been looking for a weapon like that for his merc ever since making this one in Act 1 and put 3 emerald chips into it:

Gemmed Trident Two-Hand Damage: 13 to 22 Durability: 15 of 18
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed +29 poison damage over 3 seconds

Now Elvis is using this for his weapon. I know it is not much, but it does do about 75 points of damage(including charms) and Elvis does not use it much because he is at level 30 and has WarCry. War Cry does not do quite as much damage, but it stuns the enemy and does not wear out a weapon! The merc is doing so much better with that new Scythe that it really doesn't matter much anyway.

633 + 5 x 23 - 2 x 35 - 5 x 30 = 528
Code:
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +528       30    Lower Kurast
DariusTriplet     NearDead    Sorceress Fire           +333       37    Arreat Plateau

Redeemed (Hammerdan) has killed Mephisto (P8) and moved on to the Pandamonium Fortress. He still uses holy bolt quite a bit on the undead. It only has 4 skill points, but the synergies to it are very helpful. I actually prefer using holy bolt over using the hammer. The hammer is still difficult to position, but the holy bolt is just a straight shot. Here is what some of his equipment looks like:

Gemmed Ring Mail Defense: 70 Durability: 8 of 14
+8 to Strength, Lightning Resist +28%, Poison Resist +29%, +20 poison damage over 2 seconds

Gemmed Large Shield Defense: 21Chance to Block: 42% Smite Damage: 2 to 4
Durability: 7 of 13 Fire Resist +28% Cold Resist +28%

Beast Quill Kris (Rare Ethereal)
One-Hand Damage: 4 to 23 Dagger Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
+35% Enhanced Damage, +2 to Maximum Damage, Fire Resist +8%
4% Life stolen per hit, 10% Increased Attack Speed, 48% Damage to Undead
+31 to Attack Rating against Undead, Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

480 + 5 x 28 - 2 x 44 - 5 x 32 = 372
Code:
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +528       30    Lower Kurast
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdan      +372       32    Panda Fort
DariusTriplet     NearDead    Sorceress Fire           +333       37    Arreat Plateau

Angel (P&M Amazon) has killed Mephisto (P8) and moved on to the Pandamonium Fortress. She wields an Ethereal Crystal Sword that is decaying quickly:

Soul Thirst Crystal Sword One-Hand Damage: 7 to 23 Durability: 5 of 11 Required Strength: 33
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed +1 to Maximum Damage Fire Resist +5% Adds 1-6 lightning damage
+12 poison damage over 3 seconds 113% Damage to Undead +149 to Attack Rating against Undead

Her best find in Act 3 was this drop from Mephisto:

Wraith Horn Bone Helm
Defense: 64 Durability: 21 of 21 Required Strength: 15 Required Level: 9
+6 to Energy +17% Enhanced Defense Lightning Resist +12% Poison Resist +11%
Poison Length Reduced by 25% Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Mephisto also dropped Isenhart's case and Tarnhelm, but they are useless in this tournament. This Bone Helm will probably be an endgame item for Angel.

552 + 5 x 28 - 2 x 33 - 5 x 32 = 466
Code:
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +466       32    Panda Fort
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdan      +372       32    Panda Fort

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High