[2018] Spirit Tournament [by Wolron]

Spook (Summoner Necromancer) has killed Baal on P1 using his merc and the two points that his Personalized Demon Head gave him. The summoned minions did not last long, but the Iron Golem did a little damage and was recast several times, typically when the merc was resurrected.

His stats:
Level 48, Life=623; Resists: F51, C62, L53 and P49; Str=26, Dex=25, Vit=245, E=36, Mana=144,Stam=385, Def=166

His equipment:
Stone Circlet Skull Cap Def: 19 +6 to Energy +2 to Life +11% Enhanced Defense FResist +30% CResist +17%
+1 to Light Radius Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: RAL)

Spook's Shadow Badge Zombie Head Def: 16 Chance to Block: 45%
+83% Enhanced Defense +20% Increased Chance of Blocking Damage Reduced by 1 Magic Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +47 (with two Perfect Diamonds in the sockets) Adds 2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds
30% Faster Block Rate +2 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Gemmed Morning Star One-Hand Damage: 10 to 24 Durability: 25 of 37
Adds 15-20 fire damage Adds 10-14 cold damage over 3 seconds +99 poison damage over 7 seconds
150% Damage to Undead Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: 3 used)

Ethereal belt, heavy gloves and breast plate with no mods. Magic Chain Boots with +6 magic find

Amber Amulet of Luck: +33 lightning resist and +31 magic find
Jade Ring of Warding: Magic damage reduced by 1; +28 poison resist
Cobalt Ring: +28 Cold

His skill assignments: Skel Mastery=12, Skels=6, Mages=3, Revive=2, Summon Resist=3
Golem Mastery=13, ClayG=3, BloodG=1, IronG=8 +2 to Bone Spear given my Zombie Head

His battle plan: Keep the minions alive and allow them to distract the opposition while the merc and the Iron Golem do there damage. Spook has a decent Morning star when he is desperate, but the two points in Bone Spear are effective against some of the opposition.

Future Direction: NM skill tree will be Poison and Bone Spells. Bone Spear will be developed and a few points will be put into corpse explosion. The skeletons, the Iron Golem, and Revive will be added to.

Scoring: Life + 5 x Waypoints - 2 x Strength - 5 x Level
623 + 5 x 40 - 2 x 26 - 5 x 48 = 531
Code:
Player:           Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
---------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +736       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdin      +615       49    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +606       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +531       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +441       35    Harrogath
Wolron            Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +371       48    NM Rogue Camp
DariusTriplet     NearDead    Sorceress Fire           +363       45    NM - Cold Plains
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries       +302       15    The Pit
Grisu             Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Wolron            Ghost II    Druid     Summoner       +198       23    Dry Hills
Mir               Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

The Second Dead:   Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron            Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero        Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Small update:

I am declaring my Normal Difficulty Anya Item as of slaying Bone Ash in the Cathedral.

(I have been having issues with the forums doing anything other than just making a plain post for a few days now, not sure what's going on. I can't seem to insert an image, or even link to it using the button, so here's a link to a screen shot.)

https://s33.postimg.cc/uojcui17j/Crushflange_Spirit_Tournament_Ghost_Of_Tremolo.jpg

Even if I click on the link button, my computer just gets stuck in a loop. Not sure what I did, but it's there. Here's a readout:
Code:
Crushflange
Mace
One Hand Damage: 4 - 15
Durability: 54 of 60
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 27
Fingerprint: 0x365175ac
Item Level: 17
Version: Expansion 1.10+
52% Enhanced Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
Knockback
+15 to Strength
Fire Resist +50%
+2 to Light Radius

Hope this will suffice for now, I dumped everything in my inventory, including gold and belt contents to bring this puppy back to the stash. Maybe not the most spectacular item to burn a tournament reward on, but the +15 STR is too incredible to pass up on this run, the Fire Resist is absolutely amazing. Add the Crushing Blow, and now I really just cannot resist bagging this gem right now. Can't really think of much else that has even a remote chance of dropping in Normal that would be more helpful, now I just hope I can make it to Anya so I can start using it!

Edit:
(score should be 429)
Level 23, 13 Waypoints, got cube, Dry Hills cleared, Far Oasis cleared minus bottom left corner of map (down the stairs) and cleared Maggot Lair. Found a nice +18 mana G.C. which helps a ton with horking. 539 life. Still at base (30) strength. Rockin' 34% MF and 35% hork, which is used on everything. [highlight]Being able to mule is fantastic![/highlight]

I've got a couple of bases stored for easy runewords for later, and an assortment of resistance and strength charms that are not needed just yet, workable inventory space is precious. We've stored 152k gold so far. I buy a LOT of blues to use hork. Found a Blood Crescent, and stuffed it into a stash on it's own, I want to see how big his pile of heavy stuff he can't use can get by the end.

Glassine (Trapper) has killed Baal on P1 using his death sentry trap and Blade Fury. I almost left it on P8 because she has had no trouble at all killing things. However, the only real advantage to P8 is the drop and in this tournament the drop is almost always useless (no ethereals). Glassine has so much mana that she almost never has to drink mana potions even though my finger is always on the blade fury key. The play method (on P8) when enemies show up is to throw down five Death Sentry traps and then use blade fury on whatever remains standing.

The Anya quest personalization item used an Artisan's Cap of Sorcery with +13 Energy and two sockets that were filled with TAL and ORT. (giving +30 to both lightning and poison resistance) This left the socket quest to be used on this shield that was found with repair on it:
Corpse Tower Large Shield Defense: 29 Chance to Block: 47% +33% Enhanced Defense +10% Increased Chance of Blocking
15% Faster Block Rate Poison Length Reduced by 50% Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used) <---- Probably saved for a perfect diamond, but she also has a three socketed ethereal kite shield that can be an Ancient's Pledge some day.

Her stats:
Level 48, Life=784; Resists: F63, C65, L72 and P62; Str=35, Dex=21, Vit=208, E=87, Mana=204,Stam=388, Def=178

Her equipment:
Glassine's Artisan's Cap of Sorcery Defense: 4 +13 to Energy L Resist +30% P Resist +30% Socketed (2: ORT TAL)

Gemmed Breast Plate Defense: 100 +10 to Strength Fire Resist +30% Cold Resist +30%
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired). Socketed (3, Perfect Amethyst, Thul, Ral)

Gemmed Superior Bone Shield Defense: 49 Chance to Block: 45% Durability: 3 of 21
All Resistances +30 Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (2: Perfect Diamond and Diamond)

Gemmed Morning Star One-Hand Damage: 10 to 24 Adds 15-20 fire damage Adds 10-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
4% Life stolen per hit 3% Mana stolen per hit 150% Damage to Undead Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (3: Perfect Ruby, Perfect Saphire, Perfect Skull)

Demon Clutches Leather Gloves Defense: 8 +44% Enhanced Defense Cold Resist +21% 10% Increased Attack Speed
Half Freeze Duration Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Ethereal belt and Chain boots with no mods.

Manald Heal and Eye of Etlich
Coral Ring of Energy: +30 Lightning Resistance +3 Energy

Her skill assignments: Blade Fury=21, Death Sentry=13 FireBlast=15 Five other skills at two points each

Her battle plan: Throw Death Sentry trap ahead to check on presence of enemies. When they are there, cast 4 more Death Sentries and help the merc kill off the hordes by using Blade Fury.

Future Direction: NM skill tree will be Shadow Disciplines. Shadow Warrior will be acquired ASAP, Fade and Venom will be used regularly.

784 + 5 x 40 - 2 x 35 - 5 x 48 = 674
Code:
---------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671+      57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron            Elvis       Barbarian Warcries       +736       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +674       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Redeemed    Paladin   Hammerdin      +615       49    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +606       48    NM Rogue Camp
Wolron            Spook       Necro     Summoner       +531       48    NM Rogue Camp
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries       +429       23    Far Oasis
Wolron            Diaphanous  Sorceress Cold           +371       48    NM Rogue Camp
DariusTriplet     NearDead    Sorceress Fire           +363       45    NM - Cold Plains
Grisu             Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein
Wolron            Ghost II    Druid     Summoner       +198       23    Dry Hills
Mir               Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron            Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero        Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner       xxxxx      xx    Catacombs 3

Yeesh, I'd forgotten how tough the false tombs are untwinked, full clear. 2 down currently, the first one containing Kaa. We've horked quite a few low (but helpful) runes, I am tempted to try to bump it up to mid 40% range, but I'm trying to save it for later, under the assumption that I'll be able to get some skills from runewords.

Current skill spread:
Howl: 7/7
Find Potion: 1/1
Taunt: 1/1
Shout: 4/4
Find Item: 6/6
Battle Cry: 1/1
Battle Orders: 4/4
Grim Ward: 1/1
War Cry: 0/0
Battle Command: 0/0
3 Unspent

Decided to drop a point in Grim Ward as I've never made any real effort to use it. With only 1 point, it's radius is a measly 2 yards, and so far I've noticed it cannot target skeletal corpses. It seems most helpful so far in tight corridors, where you can throw up one against a pack and let them bounce back and forth between the ward and a wall, while staying in range of Waheed to poke them. It acts something like the Necromancer's Confuse in this context, which is nice for survival.

One big difference between this tournament and the Committed one, is the ability to equip Magic Find. That rule meant 'Insight' was off limits in the other tournament, but I am looking forward to having one here. Barry and Tremolo spent most of their points in synergies for War Cry, even forgoing pumping Battle Orders, to keep the mana cost manageable. In this run, I think I will pump War Cry as fast and hard as I can, as I'm thinking I'll depend mostly on the stun length over the damage, leaving points for Shout and Battle Orders while questing.

If I can manage some kind of decent weapon, I may shift towards Berserk, but that's only a dream so far. In the very least, I could try swinging the Crushflange? Either way, things should get somewhat better once I hit 30 (currently 27.)

Edit: Found a sweet, savory 3os eth Spear. After finishing the tomb that dropped it, I immediately muled on the runes to make 'Malice' as trying to play the "Spear-Person Challenge" showed me that this isn't a terrible weapon early on. The Open Wounds is helping his damage output, and I'm sure it will come in handy against Duriel coming up. It also has better weapon damage than the rare Spear he was using, so a nice increase in kill speed for us.

Edit2: The rest of the false tombs were very tough. Each room, even without a boss pack, felt like a boss battle. Several times I came around the corner to find 3 named Unravellers in a group. Find Item doesn't seem to prevent the lesser undead from being raised. I also experienced the "ignore merc bug" thing for the first time, or at least I noticed it for the first time. Lots and lots of Howl/Taunt and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, trying to direct Waheed to the Unravellers as often as possible.

In preparation for Duriel, I had muled around 30 Healing Potions, and decided to make 'Steel' in an Axe for the IAS mostly. This was one of the easiest Normal Duriel fights I can recall; I slammed 12 Thawing potions, tossed a dozen into Waheed as well, and just tanked the big bug while the merc (and my 'Steel' for backup, along with a Poison and Cold damage charm in the inventory) kept kept him bleeding. Didn't break a sweat, merc didn't need a single potion. I had broken a thousand H.P. for this fight using some gear.

I've started exploring the jungle that has completely engulfed the once mighty city of Kurast. After finding the statue, my life pool is now over a thousand using only Battle Orders. I've had characters in Hell with less, it's almost unfair. Play at this stage is still mostly keep buffs on the merc, and cleanup after with hork. Level 30 is getting close... Spider Forest and both caves cleared.

[highlight]Edit 3:[/highlight]
713 + 5 x 22 - 2 x 30 - 5 x 30 = 674 (naked)
+18 (with current gear and charmset)
+414 (dressed w/B.O.)
Code:
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries       +674       30    Flayer Dungeon
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671       57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary
Wolron            Glassine    Assassin  Traps          +674       48    NM Rogue Camp

Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM)+514        57   NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero         Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner      xxxxx       xx   Catacombs 3

The Spider Forest and Great Marsh were a cakewalk. The Flayer Jungle, on the other hand, was a stressful nightmare. Not that I was ever in any sort of danger with Howl/Taunt and War Cry, but I started Act III with 1 durability left on my Heavy Gloves of Chance, and they still survive! Talk about gut wrenching, fighting through hordes of Flayers trying to avoid every single hit possible... I'm mentally exhausted.

Found a NON ethereal Gull dagger, shame. Not very often do I get a chance to use that in a tournament setting. Also found an Angelic Halo, which is okay on it's own for now (but still using 13% MF rings, I don't think I need an extra ~50 life at the moment) but can be really neat if I happen to find the amulet and end up going the Berserk route.

I'm toying with dropping some MF for Mana, but I think the Jungles are an important place for MF while questing, with the large amounts of small mobs. Everything clear up to Stormtree and his pack, minus the Flayer Dungeon.

(LK, Kurast Bazaar, Sewers clear)

Another Edit:
Lv 32, 791 life dressed (1281 w/Battle Orders) and 30 Strength (+1 dressed.)

The temples brought nothing scary, but I did have to revive Emilio a couple of times against an Extra Fast pack of Bone Scarabs. My Heavy Gloves of Chance gave up the ghost as I was approaching the Council. I was a bit nervous to fight them, but I crept up slowly, Taunting like a madman until I saw mana drop, then turned around and ran. Pulled the lesser mobs out one at a time, and the map spawned each of the named Councillors far enough from one another that we could take them individually. I misclicked when I assigned my Book stats (to Dexterity) so I burned my Normal re-spec to put them in Vitality. I kept my skills as they were (at least off memory) and dove down after Mephisto. The Durance offered no challenge, not even Mephisto himself slowed us down much. Same formation as against Duriel; I tanked and applied Poison and Cold, while Durka kept him bloodied up with Open Wounds. Not sure if I want to start Act IV this evening or not...

Well, sorry to double post, but it's been nearly a week, and I've killed 3 act bosses since starting the above post.

Also, we're on the second page, and I am active in this tourney, so I figured I can't get into much trouble for a bump.

I started Act IV last night, and cleared up to the River of Flame. I decided to stop and take a gander at what I had amassed thus far for the upcoming bout with Diablo himself (or herself, if you played a Rogue...)

Resistances? All below 20. Equipment? Out of gloves, out of boots, belt is broken, but three tiered so I'll keep it on, and MF head/body/jewelry. 1300 life though!

Merc was still wearing his 'Malice' Spear, and MF head/body. Not much I can do for him, about the only thing I have gear wise that will specifically counter Diablo in any real way are a 3 Orts and 7 Rals. No socketed helms for either of us, and only 2 2os bodies.

With all that being said, I decided instead to use the runes to bake an Amn rune to make 'Strength' for a source of Crushing Blow. We had 2 choices for bases, a Broad Sword or a Voulge. I have the +str charms to equip either. My initial thought was to make it in the Broad Sword, and let the Merc stick to the Open Wounds. After thinking about it, the merc would likely not survive the whole fight, and the Crushing Blow wouldn't be needed toward the end of the fight anyway. I already had the 'Steel' Axe left over from Duriel, with 6 durability left, so I decided to make it in the Voulge.

Soooooo.......
I muled on my only Thul and a pile of Orts, Rals, Tals to make the Amn, and stuck it in the Voulge. Off to the river we go!

No troubles, but slow around the spawners. Cool thing is, they can drop stuff when horked, unlike the Zerglings. Chaos Sanctuary was slow going, swapping between 'Strength' and 'Malice' as needed. Seal bosses were a breeze. With access to buy Greater Mana potions, I've been using War Cry more actively, keeping mobs stunned while the merc works his way through the crowd. I kept Infector stunned pretty much the whole fight.

I was really trying to take Diablo down on the first try, since this is single pass. However, I forgot to mule on potions. So, we'll try with just Greaters from Jamella. Alright, pop the last seal and run up there!

Battle Cry reduces his Defense and damage when he slaps us, start in the the Open Wounds from 'Steel' while Jarulf pokes the Crushing Blow. At least I remembered the Cold and Poison damage charms!

30 seconds in, this doesn't feel too bad. Actually, the whole fight was pretty easy, thanks to 1300 life! The merc didn't die a single time, and didn't even use 6 health pots. He dropped me an ethereal Crushflange, which I probably won't use. On to Act V!

Izual took at least 14 minutes according to my screenshots.

Edit:
Act V is a drag. We've cleared the Bloody Foothills, Frigid Highlands, and Abaddon. I have a Crystal Sword that Larzuk is willing to turn into a 'Spirit' base, or a Poleaxe that would be suitable for 'Insight' but lack the runes at the moment. Kill speed is dreary, I pitch in with War Cry when there's a sizeable group of Imps, just chugging the blue stuff. War Cry is still at 1 point.

909 + 5 x 32 - 2 x 30 - 5 x 38 = 819 (naked)
+13 (with current gear and charmset)
(1578 life dressed w/B.O.)
Code:
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries       +819       38    Arreat Plateau
Jiansonz          Misty       Assassin  MA             +671       57    NM - Arcane Sanctuary

Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM)+514        57   NM: Tal Rasha Tomb
Logoutzero         Yithyryl    Druid     Summoner      xxxxx       xx   Catacombs 3

Here's the S/U's that are not useable that we've found so far:
Code:
Blood Crescent
Civerb's Ward
Crushflange
Gull
Stoutnail
Tancred's Skull
Cathan's Visage
Soulflay
Darkglow
Sander's Taboo

Normal difficulty is complete. Here's how we stand after defeating Baal:

Code:
Name:       GhostOfTremolo
Class:      Barbarian
Experience: 41752158
Level:      48

Naked/Gear
Strength:   30/35
Dexterity:  20/20
Vitality:   265/287
Energy:     10/10
HP:         1129/1129
Mana:       57/408
Stamina:    379/379
Defense:    5/213
AR:         85/85

Fire:       35/-5/-65
Cold:       35/-5/-65
Lightning:  40/0/-60
Poison:     35/-5/-65

MF:         25       Block:      2
GF:         50
FR/W:       0
FHR:        55
IAS:        0
FCR:        36

Howl: 6/8
Find Potion: 1/3
Taunt: 1/3
Shout: 6/10
Find Item: 6/9
Battle Cry: 1/3
Battle Orders: 12/14
Grim Ward: 1/3
War Cry: 16/18
Battle Command: 1/3

Gemmed Superior Horned Helm
Superior Horned Helm
Defense: 40
Durability: 18 of 25
Required Level: 12
Required Strength: 35
Fingerprint: 0x4fa003cf
Item Level: 33
+1 to Find Item (Barbarian Only)
+2 to Shout (Barbarian Only)
+72 to Mana
Increase Maximum Durability 10%
Ethereal
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Sapphire

Gemmed Hard Leather Armor
Hard Leather Armor
Defense: 33
Durability: 9 of 15
Required Level: 12
Required Strength: 10
Fingerprint: 0x1d61b166
Item Level: 12
+48 to Mana
Ethereal
2 Sockets (2 used)

Wyrm's Ring
Ring
Required Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x822bbb9e
Item Level: 32
+55 to Mana

Drake's Ring of Thawing
Ring
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0x98211fb2
Item Level: 23
+28 to Mana
Half Freeze Duration

Dragon's Amulet of the Apprentice
Amulet
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0xfe648454
Item Level: 27
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+36 to Mana

GhostOfTremolo's Crushflange
Mace
One Hand Damage: 4 - 15
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 27
Fingerprint: 0x365175ac
52% Enhanced Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
Knockback
+15 to Strength
Fire Resist +50%
+2 to Light Radius

Spirit
Crystal Sword
TalThulOrtAmn
One Hand Damage: 7 - 22
Durability: 11 of 11
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 33
Fingerprint: 0x92879e47
Item Level: 31
+2 to All Skills
+26% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
7% Life stolen per hit
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+112 to Mana
+8 Magic Absorb
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Rhyme
Spiked Shield
ShaelEth
Defense: 28
Chance to Block: 30
Durability: 19 of 21
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x7dc9ebf8
+40% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +25
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold from Monsters
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune

Mercenary:

Name:       Chalan
Race:       Desert Mercenary
Type:       Off-Normal
Experience: 11896914
Level:      47
Dead?:      false

Naked/Gear
Strength:   124/129
Dexterity:  97/102
HP:         730/730
Defense:    519/710
AR:         890/220720

Fire:       93/53/-7
Cold:       93/53/-7
Lightning:  93/53/-7
Poison:    93/53/-7

Gemmed Helm
Helm
Defense: 22
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Level: 5
Required Strength: 16
Fingerprint: 0x3409c912
Item Level: 15
13% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Flawed Topaz

Gemmed Plate Mail
Plate Mail
Defense: 169
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Level: 5
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x59820a6
Item Level: 24
26% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
2 Sockets (2 used)

Insight
Poleaxe
RalTirTalSol
Two Hand Damage: 94 - 184
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 27
Required Strength: 52
Fingerprint: 0x3a159d13
Item Level: 27
Level 14 Meditation Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Cast Rate
218% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
247% Bonus to Attack Rating
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
+4 to Critical Strike
All Stats +5
+2 to Mana after each Kill
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Ral Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Sol Rune

The Frozen Tundra and Infernal Pit dropped us a couple of Sol runes, and an Amn rune! First stop was Larzuk to punch holes in the Poleaxe to make 'Insight' and then bake a Ral rune and a Perfect Amethyst to attempt to roll a 'Spirit' base. First try! Big upgrades before getting to the Ancients' Way!

Now with infinicast(TM) up and running, no problems anywhere. We cleared everything fully, and didn't break a sweat once.
The Ancients were silly easy, but stunning things tends to have that effect!

Screenshot078.jpg

Lister and co. got the same treatment:
Screenshot086.jpg

46% chance to hit Baal on LCS, slightly better with Battle Cry active. This was to apply Crushing Blow with the enchanted Crushflange I bribed Warriv to tote around until I could wield it.
Screenshot093.jpg

After I got his life sufficiently low, I brought up the caster switch and finished him off.
Screenshot095.jpg

Of course, none of his treasure was light enough to pick up!
Screenshot096.jpg

Although it's not part of the requirements for this tourney, I went ahead and cleared cows.
Screenshot097.jpg

A handful of bases to try to socket later, and another Amn rune are about the only things I got worth mentioning out of the Cow Level. Some charms that will be useful later as well.

And the S/U's we can't carry:
Blood Crescent
Civerb's Ward
Crushflange
Gull
Stoutnail
Tancred's Skull
Cathan's Visage
Soulflay
Darkglow
Sander's Taboo
Berserker's Hatchet
Cleglaw's Tooth
The Ward
Tancred's Crowbill
The Spirit Shroud
Angelic Sickle
Arcanna's Head
Hotspur
Cleglaw's Claw
Edit:

Went ahead and tooled around in Nightmare a little bit to see how things were. The damage of maxed War Cry, with a few random points in synergies, is still enough to kill. Starting to notice the Undead's resistance to Physical, but not enough that the merc with his mana stick take more than a couple hits to kill. Haven't decided yet if I want to branch into masteries or combat skills yet, I'll probably wait for a bit to see if a decent weapon falls. I should bite the bullet and get masteries for Natural Resistances before I get pwnd by a combo CE mob, like before.

Something I've been starting to think about is an endgame merc. Tourney rules state that we can only hire a new merc while questing in that act. I've been really satisfied with the Blessed Aim merc so far, and don't see any real reason to swap to the standard Might merc. Holy Freeze is tempting, as a second source of damage for immunities, and a redundant source of safety. I have a feeling I will end up with some kind of melee swap with Berserk before too long, so physical immunes aren't going to be a solid wall. If I don't grab one, I may regret it if I end up swinging something around. Also, I could always swap back to a lesser Hell version if I feel I miss the A.R. too much. Thing about the A.R. is, when I was trying to hit Blood Raven with the Crushflange, I noticed a 26% to-hit, so I'm really thinking the right answer will be to stick with him. Dunno, something to think about while I work on Act I/II over the next few days.

We've added Bladebone and Sigon's Wrap to the pile of stuff too heavy to carry. There's some really useful stuff in there... :(

Edit:
This evening's session had some good solid gameplay, and I've started to take damage for the first time since early in Act III normal. That was all the push I needed to press into the Mastery tree; my resistances are in the toilet.

Some changes to gear, mostly to hit the 63% FCR breakpoint: 'Stealth' Breastplate, and Serpent's Ring of the Apprentice. I probably should have attempted a second 'Spirit' sword instead, but I wanted some foot-speed as well, and didn't feel like burning too many runes to attempt to cube roll a 4os sword, especially only having a single Tal rune. 4os swords will be dropping soon enough anyway, and I think I'm gonna go with a shield. The loss of the mana from the Sapphire armor is noticed, but I can still cast all the way through most crowds without needing to drink a blue. I do have a few 30+ mana Grand Charms stashed, but right now prefer the inventory space over (nearly) unlimited mana. I've been cubing all my magic rings and amulets (that aren't worth saving anyway) and have seen quite a few +skill amulets, sadly none for Barbarian. I did stash a Platinum Ring (+113 AR) for use with the Crushflange. I had a thought earlier at work, I may get lucky with a +Double Swing hat, and I had forgotten what a perfect skill for bosses it is. The Crushflange and another 'Steel' or something else to apply Open Wounds, and fairly quick swings even if I am wearing crap or caster gear. If I make a 'Steel' Mace-class, I can burn a point in Mace Mastery to help both hit as well, and I will go this route in Hell anyway once I unlock Combat skills I think.

Looking ahead, the 63% breakpoint is in all likelihood where I will finish the game. We still have 2 Anya items left, but the ethereal rule is going to make getting caster head and gloves challenging. We've got the option of Caster Amulet crafts, which I will try eventually. A perfect roll on a second 'Spirit' won't be enough; I'd need more than another Apprentice ring to get up to 105%. 9 frame War Cry is pretty good still, I'm able to get a complete stunlock on Champs and Uniques fairly often, but that will change in Hell with the increased penalty.

I won't update the score table just yet, but his dressed life is 2164 and 626 mana with Battle Orders. I can hit pretty close to 1K mana right now, but I'll give up a lot, and it's not really needed.

Added Isenhart's Lightbrand, Milabrega's Diadem, and Ripsaw to the S/U pile. Puts the total count at 28, which is low compared to the Set/Unique worshipers that are running across the hall, but I've not been wearing much MF. Doesn't much matter, only one has been ethereal anyway. I think I read once ethereal appears about 1:10, I'm sitting at 1:12 now, so I could get another usable Unique in the next ~8 drops! [/sarcasm]

Haven't had any luck with finding a 3os shield yet, but I do have a Kite Shield and 2 Large shields I could attempt to cube. Bonus defense that way, right? I'll probably take a page out of the Classic handbook and just rock a P.Diamond shield on my caster switch.

GhostOfTremolo, lv. 51 all-Vita singer, now with Masteries!(C), after just raiding the Countess' stores and only getting a Thul is standing outside the Hole, no, has cleared the Hole, Tamoe Highland, Pits, Outer Cloister, and Barracks, looking down a dark stairway to the Jail...

Found Aldur's Rythmn and a Ravenclaw for the S/U stash, and a Gothic Plate with 3 sockets. Having dragged Charsi's hammer back to camp, we have a few options for imbuing, a single Circlet seems to be the best bet. Various other head and torso slots probably don't have quite the same odds of being "good" like the Circlet. I've got a pile of gloves, but no 4 tier belts. Boots may be a good choice, and I could try my luck at a shield. Not sure how long the odds are to get a shield with more resistances than 3 P.Diamonds will provide or even the current 'Rhyme' has resistances, I'll have to spend some time looking at affixes. Logic says if not the Circlet, don't waste it on a shield that might be better than a diamond shield, make the diamond shield and roll something else to go with it. I've got a War Spear stashed, but I can't think of anything other than some sort of magical accidental data overflow bug miracle imbue beating out 'Insight' and the manaflux.

Last edited:
Act II is really giving it's best, but it's pretty hard to stop a Barb with 2526 life in Nightmare. The quasi-RNG has been acting very strange, first, the Cathedral in Act I really wanted me to have Goreshovel for some reason, the same pack dropped it twice.

Screenshot103.jpg

I don't know what happened to the next screenshot showing the triple-rare right next to it, but at least the Unique was ethereal!

This has been happening frequently for me, instead of the bosses being spread throughout the map, they are commonly being found in VERY tight clusters, such as this group of 3 (2 Slinger boss packs, and a Leaper)

Screenshot106.jpg

This screenshot doesn't look nearly as intimidating as when I was in the fight, I guess the stillness of the bolts takes away from the severity (or lack thereof, with big life and 55 Lightning Resistance) a bit:

Screenshot107.jpg

I did end up imbuing my only circlet, the results were less than stellar, but I thought it the best choice available before hopping on Warriv's caravan.

Code:
Bitter Visor
Circlet
Defense: 72
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x74361f62
Item Level: 57
+1 to Amazon Skill Levels
+57% Enhanced Defense
+23 to Life
Poison Resist +15%
Damage Reduced by 7 Ethereal

Currently, we've cleared up to the Far Oasis so far, the Maggot Lair and entrance to Lost City are nicely divided by a set of stairs, so it was a nice spot to stop for the night. Said stairs are also right near the Far Oasis waypoint, gotta love it when the game gives you a nice spot to stop and mule for tourney play.

Screenshot108 (1).jpg

S/U stash is up to 32 items, and so far we are 2 out of 17 ethereal, so all odds being boring and simple, it'll be a while before getting the next one, as we are already better than 1:10. This would have been DELIGHTFUL had it rolled ethereal, shucks!

Code:
Skin of the Flayed One
Demonhide Armor
Defense: 343
Durability: 58 of 58
Required Level: 31
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0xc8d942bc
Item Level: 47
6% Life stolen per hit
+151% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +24
Attacker Takes Damage of 15
Repairs 1 Durability in 10 Seconds
+30 Maximum Durability

I'm getting a little bored with him, actually. Safe (and sturdy) in the same routine just about every encounter. I have horked every single thing possible (minus a couple of hasty TP's in Normal, which tends to remove most corpses) and I'm not really sure if it's making much a difference. 113 Runes total so far, I'd venture to guess maybe ~10% from horking? The S/U count isn't actually terrible, considering less than 90% MF on merc's kills, 30% on mine. I could sacrifice some more mana for MF, but I'm almost uncomfortable with how low it is for a Singer. I have to chug a pot on bosses/champs. and even regular mobs if I attract a second (or third/fourth) wave. Still having decent success at keeping them stunlocked, I'm really missing having those last two breakpoints, it makes a BIG difference in my opinion on stunning named mobs.

We did find an eth Lance, and I was pretty tempted to roll sockets hoping for 5 and stuff an 'Honor' set in it. Should be pretty close to 500 max weapon damage, and the life leech will help the dummy in the really tough spots (LEs/Scarabs really) to stay healthy. He's died a few times so far, but nothing faster Shift+Potions doesn't fix. I gave serious thought to holding the 'Insight' myself if the 'Honor' turned out successful, but in the end I decided I wasn't ready to give up 'Spirit' and 'Rhyme' together, that's a crap ton of bonuses between the two. If I could find a Hel rune, I'd be really tempted to scrub the Sapphires out of my helm now and make 'Radiance' in it just for the sake of it. Around half the mana, but an excuse to use something I've never seen.

1283 life naked, 1399 dressed. +5 strength from a charm, lv. 55, and 52 waypoints. I'll figure up the score later, I'm tired and it's getting late.

Am I the only one playing anymore?

Edit:
Act II is finished, nothing of note came out of it except for a second 'Spirit' sword, which allowed me to take off the 'Stealth' and replace it with 'Myth' in my 3os Gothic Plate. Had to mule on some more +Strength charms to wear it, but it's a decent enough armor for now. My helmet finally broke against Duriel, so I made 'Lore' in a 2os Avenger Guard with no mods, which meant more charms. I've cleared the Spider Forest and both caves. Gonna call it for now, maybe for the day.

Edit:
Well, I lied and decided to wade further into the jungle, clearing Great Marsh, Flayer Jungle, Flayer Dungeon, Swampy Pit, Lower Kurast, 2 temples (of which 1 was the Ruined Temple, bonus stats into Vit) and Bazaar. Things are as safe as ever, having reached nearly 3200 life with Battle Orders. Damage has slowed tremendously. I'll take some time before my next session to see if I can give the merc a stronger weapon. S/U stash is up to 39, including a Spellsteel. I really had to think long and hard about declaring it as my Nightmare Anya item, granting access to both Decrepify and Teleport. I decided against it, which I hope I don't end up regretting. I've got 3 unassigned skill points, not sure if I want to work on War Cry synergies, or save points for Combat Skills later. Double Swing for bosses only will cost 2 points, another 2 for Frenzy. Currently level 62, and assuming I make Guardian, only ~30 skill points left. Here's the skill layout so far:

Code:
Bash: 0/0
Leap: 0/0
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 0/0
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 0/0
Concentrate: 0/0
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 0/0

Sword Mastery: 0/0
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 1/8
Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 1/8
Iron Skin: 1/8
Increased Speed: 1/8
Natural Resistance: 1/8

Howl: 6/13
Find Potion: 1/8
Taunt: 1/8
Shout: 6/13
Find Item: 6/13
Battle Cry: 1/8
Battle Orders: 16/23
Grim Ward: 1/8
War Cry: 20/27
Battle Command: 1/8

Battle Cry seems to be the most logical place left for skill points. Pretty happy with Battle Orders where it is, just over 100% and I don't think the last few points will really make a big difference. Otherwise, slow and steady (and sturdy and safe) wins the race, I'll just keep grinding until something amazing happens.

Last edited:
Act III is finished, and I can't remember anything great that came of it.

Screenshot119.jpg

Crushflange switch costs me over 200 life, but maintaining a decent chance to hit I think. Mana goes WAY down for bosses, losing dual 'Sprits' and Great Wyrm's rings, adding 2 Platinum rings worth +231AR for swinging the Crushflange.

Nightmare Izual took less than 5 minutes:
Screenshot124.jpg

Pul from the Forge:

Screenshot128.jpg

Cleared up to RoF waypoint, not sure if I have time to get all the way through in one session tonight. I may fire it back up and just stay up late. Diablo is going to be tough I think.

Last edited:
RoF, CS, and Diablo didn't pose any real challenge. Got another Amn rune, can never have too many of them!

I counted 4 boss packs in CS, plus 3 seal bosses. This guy took a a long while to bring down:

Screenshot136.jpg

62% to-hit, plus (or minus!?) level 13 Battle Cry (-74% Defense) meant I had pretty dandy odds of hitting big D:

Screenshot137.jpg

Nothing ethereal about his drop, but did get a ring which I put to use:
Code:
Ghoul Band
Ring
Required Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0xb2de0116
Item Level: 62
+72 to Attack Rating
+12 to Energy
+35 to Mana
All Resistances +10

My second @res ring, the other is a Rainbow of the Giant, which might be useful later. I really like that ring for this run, the AR isn't really needed, since I swap to 2 Platinum rings when it's time to melee, but ~40 AR might be worth trading for the resistances, so it might work out in the end. Mana is lower than a Great Wyrm's, but it's good all around I think.

Before starting the RoF, I made myself a 'Steel' Mace, and used it along with the Crushflange the entire fight against Diablo, didn't finish him with the caster switch. He focused on the merc for the first ~70% of his health, then switched to me until the last couple of slivers. I preferred the merc taking the hits, mainly because his gear doesn't degrade. All in all, I used right at 40 full purples, somewhere around 6 super reds, and a dozen greaters.

Time to start looking at what I can shop in Act V Nightmare, in case I don't find a worthy drop for Anya. Currently level ~67.6 or so guessing on the white bar.

Edit:
Looks like Jeweler's/Artisan's of the Whale are possible at Larzuk already, is that right?

Edit again:
I saw Whale, and it's a higher affix than sockets, so I should be good. Might end up settling for a body armor or helmet if nothing drops that I can't live without. 3os body might be worth personalizing as a runeword base, that 'Myth' didn't last as long as I hoped it would, and there's a lot of doable 3 rune words. We'll see what falls as I quest over the next couple days, but I'm done for the evening.

Last edited:
I just got trolled in the Frigid Highlands...

Screenshot143.jpg

The game tried to give me a Unique class specific! If those Combat Skills were Warcries, heck even Masteries, I'd probably keep it for Anya. Maybe one of Qual-Kehk's men will find it if I leave it perched precariously on this shrub!

Edit: Ran through to Crystalline Passage WP, everything clear up to there. I'll either delete my map file, or swap difficulties before picking up the next session. What do ya'll do in this situation?

Edit: Cleared up to the Glacial Trail (and Drifter Cavern) and cleared Pindle and Halls of Anguish. Next session will be the rest of the temple, and maybe up to Ancient's Way, just depends on how late of a start I get.

A 3os Light Plate fell, I was tempted to nab it as my NM Anya, but it's still early in the act, and there's plenty of goodies to shop for at this point in case nothing falls. Found a Lightning skiller, +4STR secondary. Not the best, but I'll stash it, or maybe trade it later. My gear is taking a beating in this act with all the ranged guests...

Edit: 11 and a half hours on the road today for work, I didn't get home until close to 20:00 and I don't have the energy to start up the game tonight. I could try to do level 2 of Nihl's temple (I can never remember what they're called :p) but that would mean running through 1 tonight, and then 2 again tomorrow. I'd rather finish it in one session, Howl helps running through previously cleared areas, but I still take a lot of hits. Maybe I should try walking?

Last edited:
Angel has killed NM Andariel on P8. The best find in NM Act I was the Cathan's Sigil to go with the Cathan's Seal in her stash. It would be nice to be able to work on a set in this tournament so maybe Anya will personalize a Cathan's Mesh. Enough dreaming, so it is on to Lut Gholein.

NOTE: Logoutzero: I would update your status if I could figure it out. Provided the life, WP, STR and level and I will do that.

742 + 5 x 49 - 2 x 37 - 5 x 52 = 653

Code:
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries       +819       38    Arreat Plateau
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +653       52    NM Lut Gholein

Angel has killed NM Duriel on P3. The best find in NM act 2 was the Mahim Oak Curio amulet. It gives +10 to all attributes and all resistances. The second best find in NM Act 2 was a 4 socketed ethereal Gothic Plate armor. After inserting 4 runes, this is what I have. The strength requirement was achieved with the Mahim Oak and with two rings that gave +8 and +5 to strength. Those two rings will be replaced with resistance rings as I find other sources of strength.

Gemmed Gothic Plate
'RalOrtTalThul'
Defense: 193 Required Strength: 60 All Resistances +30
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

NOTE: Logoutzero: I would update your status if I could figure it out. Provided the life, WP, STR and level and I will do that.

826 + 5 x 61 - 2 x 62 - 5 x 61 = 702

Code:
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +702       61    NM Flayer Jungle

Last edited:
Angel has killed NM Mephisto on P3. She was playing at P8 up until the Travincal area and switched to P3 because of all the healers. It gets pretty reidiculous when 3 or 4 bosses all have healing ability and several minions each. Mephisto went down pretty quickly with no loss of mercenary, so I guess P3 was not really necessary for the rest of Act 3.

The best find in NM act 3 was the ethereal Gravepalm sharkskin gloves. This in Angel's only ethereal unique. Hopefully it will last awhile if she can avoid damage.

Gravepalm Sharkskin Gloves Defense: 152 +10 to Strength +10 to Energy
+154% Enhanced Defense 200% Damage to Undead +163 to Attack Rating against Undead
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

The added STR allowed Angel to put away her two strength rings and use Maneld Heal and this one:
Coral Ring of Chance Lightning Resist +27% 14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Stats:
STR=65 DEX=65 VIT=235 Energy=116 FR=54 CR=42 L=54 PR=38
Defense=541 Stamina=367 Life=897 Mana=259 MagicFind=14
Damage from Bow=159-302
Damage from Freezing Arrow=292-306 (AR=1360)

Skills: Freezing Arrow 15; Cold Arrow 3; Ice Arrow 1; Valkyrie 16; Decoy 12; Critical Strike 10;

897 + 5 x 67 - 2 x 65 - 5 x 63 = 787

Code:
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +787       63    NM Panda. Fortress

Last edited:
Angel has killed NM Diablo on P1. Only one bone prison to portal away from.

The best find in NM act 4 was :

Demonhide Sash of the Wolf Defense: 45 +11 to Life Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Yes, that is the best. It does give 4 tiers of belt storage. I will keep the self-repair belt that I had been using just in case this one wears out.

Stats:
STR=60 DEX=65 VIT=250 Energy=116 FR=54 CR=42 L=54 PR=38
Defense=641 Stamina=386 Life=948 Mana=264 MagicFind=14
Damage from Bow=159-302
Damage from Freezing Arrow=421-441 (AR=1360)

Skills: Freezing Arrow 15; Cold Arrow 8; Ice Arrow 1; Valkyrie 16; Decoy 12; Critical Strike 10;

NOTE: Logoutzero: I have tried to update your score, but it is probably a bit off. I found some info in your last post: Life=3142; Lvl=67; STR=71; WP=74 Adds up to 3035

948 + 5 x 70 - 2 x 60 - 5 x 66 = 848

Code:
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries      +3035       67    NM -Crystalline Passage
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    P&M            +848       66    NM Harrogath

Last edited:
logoutzero said:
That's probably pretty close. I've been very busy with my second job so no updates for now. Sorry! I'll get back to him soon!
Seeing the life you have on your Barbarian makes me want to push Elvis after I kill off Angel. I guess Barbarians are a hearty folk.

In the meantime, I took Angel through the Frigid Highlands and had a find that is incredible. I saw a unique Cuirass drop. I did not immediately recognize it as Duriel's shell, but I did realize that a Cuirass might be just the right sort of item for Anya to personalize. So, I picked it up to check it out and not only is it Duriel's Shell (I suppose I should have that item memorized), but it is Ethereal!!! Angel will not even have to have the item personalized. And it has 126 durability so there is a good chance that it will last longer than Angel does.

Last edited:
Angel has killed NM Baal on P1.
The best find in NM act 5 was :

Duriel's Shell Cuirass
Defense: 996 Durability: 126 Required Strength: 55 +15 to Strength +198% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +20% Lightning Resist +20% Cold Resist +50% Poison Resist +50% (TAL in socket)
+100 Maximum Durability Cannot Be Frozen +91 to Defense (Based on Character Level)
+73 to Life (Based on Character Level) Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

When I saw the gold cuirass, I figured it might be a good item to have Anya personalize. Then I picked it up and saw that it was Duriel's Shell (should have known that) and was Ethereal, I was overjoyed. The durability is so high that it should last for the duration and it allowed for this Shako to be personalized later on:

Angel's Brimstone Visor Shako
Defense: 161 +2 to Energy Fire Resist +30% Lightning Resist +30% (ORT) Cold Resist +30% (THUL)
Poison Length Reduced by 25% Socketed (2: 2 used)

After killing off the cows and moving on to HELL, this is where her status is:
Stats:
Level=73 STR=57 DEX=55 VIT=270 Energy=107 FR=45 CR=43 L=37 PR=23
Defense=1379 Stamina=412 Life=1075 Mana=261 MagicFind=19
Damage from Bow=262-422
Damage from Freezing Arrow=644-665 (AR=1057)

Skills: Freezing Arrow 20; Cold Arrow 9; Ice Arrow 1; Valkyrie 17; Decoy 12; Critical Strike 10;

1075 + 5 x 79 - 2 x 57 - 5 x 73 = 991

Code:
Logoutzero        Tremolo     Barbarian Warcries      +3035       67    NM -Crystalline Passage
Wolron            Angel       Amazon    ColdBow        +991       73    HELL - Rogue Camp

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High