[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

No nasty stairs trap in the seven tombs - thanks for that.
Got Unravelers in six of the tombs. We usually lured all the skeletons away first. In this instance, however...
SissyNM04%20Unraveler%20boss_zpsrwukmnzb.jpg

...I had managed to get Waheed to the perfect fighting distance from this hard-hitting boss, so we duked it out even though we had to kill that skeleton about 10 times (See the bolt? That's another resurrect-happy Unraveler).

How do you usually take on this starting segment? (see map)
SissyNM05%20tomb%20tactics_zpsaggsjiis.jpg

I usually take the hallway straight ahead from the entrance first. It's often empty of monsters, and this space may be just what you need to separate monster packs.

I took Duriel on players 3. We took position on opposite sides of him, with Waheed taking the brunt of the attacks. Whenever he got hit by a Smite, Duriel would attack Sissy instead for a second or two. This was pretty good, because the 'resting' from getting hit allowed us both to do fine almost without any need for rejuves.

Durability on my ethereal gloves went from 7 to 4 in the Duriel fight. Maybe it will be an issue after all. Can you still repair ethereal items with the personalize reward in v1.13?

As usual, the long first leg of Act III (even though I skipped Arachnid Lair and Swampy Pit for the next session) forced me to sell a few items that I could not get the full value for. I think it was only three exceptional armors this time, one or two may not even have been worth 35k anyway.

Great Marsh was pretty tough for Waheed. He had trouble whenever the zombies and treebeasts gathered around him and more than two hit him. Gloams, on the other hand, just melted when faced by Enchant damage.

Life situation is slightly better than what I thought last session. Both because I had forgotten about the Lam Esen quest, plus I only needed to save 1 stat point from one of the 15 level-ups. So in total 9 more VIT points could be invested. This plus the Golden Bird ashes and a slight charm improvement now has Sissy at 626 max life.

Recent finds:
* More topazes. Second helm filled, now two more perfect ready - I want 4s armor badly.
* Many mid-level runes. At least three each of Thul, Amn, Sol and Shael, plus one Hel.
* Tancred's Hobnails (MF potential if I find one of the famous 1h-weapons with huge MF)
* Ethereal 2s Battle Scythe I made 'Strength' in. This is a boss weapon for Waheed.
* This enemy, that I have searched for for a long time for Scavenger Hunt #4:
SissyNM06%20nice%20find_zpssbvh6esv.jpg

Now I only miss 10 out of 65 things for the Scavenger Hunt #4:
- a unique starting with the letter J (there are two, I think)
- 6 types of stutter items. The hardest is probably a Furious Fury Visor.
- 2 types of unusual items (Sander's Paragon and killing a Possessed Vile Temptress)
- one LMAO item (Weird Bill)

Destroyer Sissy the Axe Enchantress and Waheed the Defiance guard, level 61, NM Lower Kurast next

Last edited:
jiansonz said:
How do you usually take on this starting segment? (see map)
I usually take the hallway straight ahead from the entrance first. It's often empty of monsters, and this space may be just what you need to separate monster packs.

I do the same thing. That extra doorway just beside the stairs in the little starting area can really make things ugly as there is nowhere to temporarily park the monsters. One of my false tombs had that setup, except I didn't notice the door and tried to clear out the starting area as normal. Had it been in Hell difficulty, it probably would have been deeds.
jiansonz said:
Recent finds:
* More topazes. Second helm filled, now two more perfect ready - I want 4s armor badly.

Calabi is at the exact same spot with her MF, except she was lucky enough to find both her 4s armours way back in act 1. Here's hoping Sissy can have some drop sooner rather than later!

Last edited:
Pb_pal said:
Calabi is at the exact same spot with her MF, except she was lucky enough to find both her 4s armours way back in act 1. Here's hoping Sissy can have some drop sooner rather than later!
If I complete a third perfect topaz before finding a 4s armor (or reaching clvl 66 so I can buy one), I will use one of them to socket one of my Ancient Armors.

Last edited:
I've decided to make another throwing character, and this tournament fits the bill perfectly. Entering with Swoosh the Sorceress, currently level 25 and sitting in Lut Gholein after breezing through Act II with a Vicious Balanced Axe for herself and a Savage Poleaxe of Slaughter (76/19) for Emilio the defensive Town Guard.

Swoosh, Sorceress, level 25, Lut Gholein

Alright, time for tamoe highland and the pit

edit: wound up clearing up to and including jail level 1.

The Smith dropped a unique spear, and a carver/devilkin dropped Hsarus's buckler in the Tamoe Highland.

Level 18.5 and can't wait for mid 20s when my enchant duration should be long enough to not annoy me :p

@felixbavaria - Welcome to the tournament! :) A thrower sorc sounds extremely interesting, I'll be excited to see how she does!

@pharphis - It was cool catching your stream yesterday, even if it was just for a few minutes. Will definitely try to catch you again, and recommend it to everyone else!

--

The rest of act 3 was fairly easy for Calabi and her group. Continuing her streak from Normal difficulty, we managed to draw no stair traps whatsoever in any of the temples. Hopefully this doesn't mean they've all been reserved for Hell difficulty...

Sarina's temple was done with ease, as we managed to get them in the perfect bottleneck upon entering. Good thing too, since in the small room to the south-west, there was a boss pack of cursed rogues, which could have made things incredibly uncomfortable.

Meph dropped our 2nd Tals helm of the act, so now both Calabi and Kasim have some leech options for post-treasure-hunting time. Upon entering act 4 we visited Jamella and did some gambling which netted us this little beauty:

Chromatic Amulet of Luck
Required Level: 41
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 66
Fingerprint: 0xc53937c6
All Resistances +26
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Calabi was very pleased indeed!:D With this newly gambled ring, our resists now shot up to 62/75/75/75. That made us feel MUCH better about act 4, so we decided to proceed and try out our new toys.

We drew spawners in all 3 above-ground areas of act 4, so that made the going a little slower, although not that difficult. We found Izual, who had a major liking for the valk, and he went down without issue. A relatievly tame Hephasto was sepreated and dealt with, and the Hellforge rewarded us with an Io for our trouble:rolleyes:.

Diablo's sanctuary continued the theme of slow and steady as we had to pull any Doom knights away from the OK's. Decrep is bad bad news for Calabi, but with some caution we didn't have any major hiccups.

The fight with big D was straightforward. We couldn't get big D to focus on the valk if Kasim was alive, so he stayed dead:p. This allowed Diablo to focus on the valk, while Calabi safely chipped away at his backside. We resurrected Kasim near the end so he could get all the glory. Diablo dropped this. Yes, our 3rd Tal's helm of the past 2 acts. The amulet was Nokozan Relic, which could definitely come in handy later on.

Other notes/finds:
- Calabi filled her first 4-Ptopaz armour right before facing D, her MF is somewhere in the mid-400s now on Kasim's kills.
- Trang's gloves and Lidless Wall
- Sigon's Shield (just the armour left to complete the set now)
- Spineripper which will come in handy for high regen monsters.

Destroyer Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 67, NM Harrogath

New page + new entrant + lots of progress from everyone = table update!

Code:
Table of Heroes:
Forum Name     Class       Char Name      LVL    ACT      Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pb_pal         Amazon      Calabi         67     A5(NM)   Harrogath
jiansonz       Sorceress   Sissy          61     A3(NM)   Lower Kurast
Zylo           Druid       Hoyt           59     A3(NM)   Kurast Docks
djmbbandie     Assassin    Natasha        28     A3       Kurast Docks
felixbavaria   Sorceress   Swoosh         25     A2       Lut Gholein
Morathi        Assassin    Carrisa        21     A2       Lut Gholein
pharphis       Sorceress   SlamDoorsShut  18.5   A1       Jail Lvl 1
Jocular        Assassin    ?????          14     A1       Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Pb_pal, you are pulling away. :)
Sweet amulet!

Progress for Sissy as well. And no serious temple stairs trap either. Waheed also met Sarina's pack (Mana Burn) in a narrow doorway.

There were other serious enemies, though:
SissyNM07%20Bone%20Fist_zpsexzziqoz.jpg

Gotta watch Waheed's life very closely in these fights, and feed him potions a lot. Plus I need to be very ready to escape, hopefully before Waheed is dead. If Waheed were to die in this fighting position, Sissy (with mediocre life and without a shield!) would be facing a frenzied-up behemoth!
BTW, Bone Fist dropped her first elite item - magical Truncheon.

Things were pretty easy in the rest of the act. Maybe I was a little too wussy, but I took Mephisto on players 3.
That 'Strength' Battle Scythe was very good.

Recent finds:
* Runes: Hel x2, Lum, Fal (<- do you see what that spells? :D )
* Several normal unique axes - Brainhew, Humongous, Skull Splitter. Sold them all.
* More topazes, and my lottery attempt with the Ancient Armor socketing went well. Three PTopazes in it now. And a Sorc looks so much more mighty when the armor covers her legs...
(1777 Defense without even sacrificing any MF isn't bad either.)
* Better 'Rhyme' shield - in a 141 Defense Grim Shield
* These endgame-worthy boots (dropped by a container in the Durance):
SissyNM08%20sweet%20boots_zpssxbnkp1f.jpg

Nobody answered my personalize reward question before. I gave it a go. Alas, those gloves stayed at 2 of 9 durability.

Waheed needed a weapon with better damage, so I caved in and burned my socket reward on that ethereal ilvl 35 Partizan.
I am allowed (by myself) to use an exceptional Insight in Act IV NM.

I can just shake my head at this reeks-of-cheese hurty stick:
Insight
Partizan

'RalTirTalSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 175 to 366
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Dexterity: 57
Required Strength: 103
Required Level: 27
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 35
Fingerprint: 0x2136009f
+5 to Strength
+5 to Energy
+5 to Dexterity
+5 to Vitality
+227% Enhanced Damage
+9 to Minimum Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+75 poison damage over 5 seconds
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+3 to Critical Strike
35% Faster Cast Rate
243% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Level 16 Meditation Aura When Equipped
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 4 used)

With the Insight, so is Waheed's. 467, I think.

Destroyer Sissy the Axe Enchantress and Waheed the Defiance guard, level 64, NM Outer Steppes next

Last edited:
An exhausted group of adventurers appear at the Kurast waypoint. DJ is waiting for them.

DJ: What took you guys?

Natasha:Ahem, the person that made us explore the entire Great Marsh is talking to us?

Melody: I hate flayers now.

Visala: As do I.

DJ: talk about the experience.

Natasha: Well, I basically throw around sentinels and do a lot of watching as these two kill everything. Kinda like a passivezon watching her valk.

Melody: I do the tanking. Visala does the shooting.

Visala: yep. We're basically a team.

DJ: Any finds?

Natasha: A ton. Today's finds include treads of cthon (which I'm wearing now), swordback hold, that barbarian set armor, and a rainbow amulet of remedy (+10 All Resist, reduce Poison length 25), that will definitely help in the future.

Screenshot012.jpg Visala: I still would like a better bow.

DJ: And you're using a maul now?

Natasha: Anything that does actual damage that is increased works for me.

Melody: just a little bit more and I'll be a Shadow Master!

DJ: Over and Out.

Natasha, Visala and Melody, levels 29.5, 29, and 3. Just found the Flayer Jungle waypoint. Next up: The village of Flayers and LK

Last edited:
jiansonz said:
Pb_pal, you are pulling away. :)
Haha don't worry. I've had an abnormal amount of playing time recently, and Calabi's progress has been shockingly smooth. Both of those should be changing in the near future. ;)

jiansonz said:
Sweet amulet!
Thanks, definitely a potential end-game worthy amulet. I don't know if I'll be able to find anything better.

jiansonz said:
Recent finds:
* Runes: Hel x2, Lum, Fal (<- do you see what that spells? :D )
*snip*
* These endgame-worthy boots (dropped by a container in the Durance):
I'm really hoping to make a Lionheart for Calabi, it's at the top of her "wants" list for end-game armours. And those are some seriously nice boots! *makes mental note to gamble lots and lots of boots*

@djmbbandie - looks like the finds are starting to pile up for you! Are you planning on keeping your rogue merc for the whole journey?

@sivaeB - Welcome to the tournament! Golemancer was my runner up for what char I would make, so I'm glad to see one. :) Love the name, good luck!

Last edited:
Visala: Of course. Natasha loves my arrows.

Natasha: The evil plan is now a success!

Melody: It feels nice to be a master. So much easier now.

DJ: No NDEs to the Witch Doctor?

Natasha: Melody took care of that one.

Melody: He was kind of sad.

Visala: the only NDE she had was when she wasn't looking where she was going and charged into a group of flayers.

Natasha: Yeah, but Melody took care of that with WoF and Death Sentry.

DJ: Smooth sailing?

Natasha: Hopefully, I plan to raise Melody for the rest of Normal.

Melody: Yay! Now I can be a star!

Visala: Notable finds this short session include a barbarian set helm and a interesting +18 FR mask with two sockets in it.

Natasha: Yeah, I'm looking to do some shopping in the city, hopefully a nice scissors katar drops and I can stop using my maul.

Visala: no complaints with the bow right now, maybe an upgrade in armor?

Melody: I'm fine for now.

Natasha, Visala, and Melody, levels 30.5, 30, and 1, the blade sentinel girl, fire rogue, and shadow master: Now in LK (ran to the waypoint) Next Up: LK, and the cities.

Last edited:
Not a real update, just an item find post: (All from Act 3 Normal)

Russet Bone Shield of Deflecting
Bone Shield

Defense: 15
Chance to Block: 40
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xed084372
Item Level: 21
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+30% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Fire Resist +20%

Beast Grasp
Heavy Gloves

Defense: 8
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0x44ce4355
Item Level: 22
+15% Enhanced Defense
+2 to Strength
Lightning Resist +25%
Fire Resist +28%

Poison Length Reduced by 25%
22% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Wraith Tread
Heavy Boots

Defense: 9
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 18
Fingerprint: 0xe300e36d
Item Level: 22
+10% Faster Run/Walk
+39% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +17%
Fire Resist +26%
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Swoosh's resists are 99/80/61/21 now. o_O :badteeth: (Where is the bad teeth smiley?)

How many tourney characters have I started and later abandoned?

Well, here's another started... let's see how far I take him.

Enter John the summoner Druid. So far, he cleared the den and has an unkindness of ravens following him around.

Expect infrequent updates and sudden, inexplicable disappearance.

John the Summoner Druid - Level 6 - Rogue Encampment

Duriel wasnt much of a match for Toast and allies, although Toast did no damage he sat back and drank a beer while continually casting Decrepify and feeding Waheed potions , making him the MVP.
a906d0e047566c1221c973c34d750283.jpg

Toast the Golemancer with Waheed the Defiance guard,Level 27, Kurast Docks.

Natasha, Melody, and Visala have ventured into the Kurast Bazaar. They found the heart and evaded a lot of undead dolls in the sewers. Notable find would be the Civerb's icon. rare scissors katars have been dropping frequently, but none are good enough yet for Natasha to switch over.

Natasha, Melody, and Visala, levels 31, 2, and 30 in the Bazaar. Next up: Upper Kurast.

Last edited:
@jamesixgun - Welcome! The inexplicable disappearances will only make John more mysterious, it's a good thing. Oh and bonus points for the correct terminology for a group of ravens, I would have also accepted a "conspiracy". ;)

--

In a fit of jealous rage Calabi has spent most of her gold gambling boots and gloves. She managed no upgrades and still uses her 33%MF, 12% LR boots and her plain 25% MF gloves.:rolleyes:

She has left Harrogath, but hasn't gotten far or had anything interesting happen. I will update her once she has made more significant progress.

Great progress everyone!

Calabi has left Harrogath and travelled through the frozen wastes. Shenk was dispatched without trouble, and the frigid highlands were cleared out easily as well. We drew archers and slingers, but thanks to Slow Missiles it was never dangerous. Her love affair with Slow Missiles continues, as she managed to draw pretty much only ranged attackers all throughout her journey in act V so far, aside from the occasional Hell Spawns. This meant her journey turned into more of a game of "let's see how long it takes Kasim to chase down all these enemies while we watch projectiles crawl across the screen". Not the most exciting, but very safe.

Funnily enough, the monsters that gave her the most difficulty in this session were Dark Ones(the devilkin variants) and their shamans in Abaddon. The paths winding back on themselves made it hard to seperate the little guys and get them our of resurrection range. There were a couple moments where we got swarmed while trying to deal with other monster packs, which made things a little interesting.

The Frozen River drew Gloams and Succubi. Now normally I would have been scared of those monster draws, but with 75% LR and her favourite skill ever, it was quite easy. The only notable thing was this Lum Rune. Only a Fal away from Lionheart now! The resist scroll got us to 72/75/75/75. :)

All in all a very straightforward journey so far, with very little danger. I always manage to forget how huge act V is. Calabi is taking a break here for now, and will clear up to and including the Frozen Tundra before heading down to visit everybody's favourite corpse-exploder.

Other notable finds:
- 2x Hel rune
- Peasant Crown
- Magefist (I'm really starting to think the D2 gods wanted me to play an enchantress..)

Destroyer Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 70, NM Crystalline Passage

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High