[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

Natasha and Visala have successfully completed all of the Black Marsh. Here are their thoughts.

Natasha: Getting more and more impressed with this girl by the second. She really likes tanking types of Yetis. Today it was a horde of extra fast Brutes, which got the usual sliced treatment. Drop luck has now increased immensely. (found a rare scepter that pushes my Blade Sen damage up to 42-50. Definitely not bad.) Also picked up a green small shield in the marsh, which should be useful for andariel. Also, the countess dropped a RAL, probably because I took her on p8.

Visala: Wow. I always though Assassins liked other traps such as the lightning traps and the fire traps. Not this one. She doesn't even use cloak of shadows either. Just uses BoS to avoid me when I yell at her for not leaving anything for me. I think my tanking of the horde of Brutes actually impressed her. I'd definitely like a better weapon soon.

Natasha and Visala, levels 16 and 14, counting money in the Black Marsh (now over 100000 thanks to selling some 5000 gold stuff (definitely that +3 Holy Bolt Scepter helped) Next Up: Tamoe, Outer.

jiansonz said:
She is in part inspired by Sirian's write-up of this character. Now here's a guy who is awesome at fleshing out his characters with cool stories! His main D2 page here. Any fan of D2 should read his ecapades, those with Ember, Skeletorr and Subpoena in particular. Be warned - they are very long! Lytra's chapter is also very interesting and not as long. It's almost as if it's at that time players in general came to understand that Charged Strike actually does not suck.
Another nice writing on a melee sorc can be found here . That is the story of Xanthippe from the Grand Tour, written by Stony. I enjoyed very much his writing. He very nicely blended the existing context of the game with each character he played for a really captivating story. I would also recommend any Diablo player to read those stories, it certainly is a fun read.

Great start jiansonz! I'm loving Sissy already, it doesn't get much cooler than a shieldless, axe-wielding sorceress. I might have to switch my plans to have Calabi become a shieldless axe-wielding amazon, just to try and keep up with the style factor. :p

Great progress everyone, and lots of great links in this thread. It's always good to have some more sources of inspiration!

Calabi has made some progress. She worked her way through the catacombs without much difficulty, and took on Andarial at /p8 just for kicks. It wasn't a problem, as we managed to position the merc where the poison cloud couldn't get to her. The drop wasn't overwhelming, but Calabi did find her second Felloak of the tourney.

Upon enetering Act 2 we hired Emilio and gambled him a Deadly Poleaxe, so the killing speed went way up. The cube was the first task, and was found without problems. After that we paid a visit to Radament. Things were going so smoothly that Calabi also decided to go and get the Staff of Kings. This is pretty much what gameplay looks like now. It's very safe, and moves at a decent pace, but I think Calabi is itching to get into the action more, so we are keeping our eyes peeled for a bit hurty weapon.

For now she is resting at the Lost City, about to go searching for some snakes.

Calabi the Tankazon, with Emilio, lvl 24 - Lost City

EDIT: adding Morathi to the table
Code:
Table of Heroes:
Forum Name    Class       Char Name        LVL    ACT    Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zylo          Druid       Hoyt             32     A4     River of Flame
jiansonz      Sorceress   Sissy            28     A3     Spider Forest
Pb_pal        Amazon      Calabi           24     A2     Lost City
djmbbandie    Assassin    Natasha          16     A1     Tamoe Highland
Jocular       Assassin    ?????            14     A1     Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
pharphis      Sorceress   SlamDoorsShut    11     A1     Stony Field
Morathi       Assassin    Carrisa           1     A1     Rogue Encampment
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome tournament idea! I remember a tournament similar to this a few years back...maybe more than a few actually but this is something that really interests me and despite being away from D2 for almost 2 years, this is the type of tournament that will lure me back!

That's it....count me in, congrats Pb_pal you have sparked that D2 fire in me and i am returning after a long hiatus!

Gosh, so many good build ideas going through my mind right now, i will think about it during the day and officially enter once i come to a decision.

EDIT:
OK i have come to a decision, so allow me to introduce to you, Carrisa the ShadowSin, i played one of these in the Single Skill Tree tournament hosted many years ago and had quite a lot of fun. Carrisa won't be venturing out of the shadow discipline skill tree, i will invest all my points in there. Hopefully strong venom, shadow master, coupled with crowd control from mind blast/CoS will get us quite far....well heres hoping anyway!

Progress will begin tonight and i will do a write up at the conclusion of Act 1.

Good luck everyone! Now it's time to catch up to Jiansonz ;).

Carrisa the ShadowSin, Level 1, Act 1 Normal, Rogue Camp

@Morathi - I am both honoured that I've managed to pull you back in, and also very excited to see how you do. I just hope I didn't make the tournament too simple for all you vets ;) Good luck with Carrisa! I've added her to the table above your post, for completion's sake. :)

---

Calabi has ventured on to bring the sun back to Lut Gholein, everyone was getting grouchy in the perpetual darkness. She cleared out the Lost City and Ancient Tunnels without any issues, and pushed on through the Claw Viper Temple. She paused at the stairs down to level 2, and felt a slight twinge of nerves for the first time this tournament. Thankful that she had recently acquired Decoy, she hotkeyed her TP, took a breath, and went down. Immediately on entering she threw up a TP and stepped to the corner. Nothing. She inched forward, but Fangskin was nowhere to be seen. She managed to clear out nearly the whole room before finding him. The merc and decoy handled him with no problems. Well that was anti-climactic. She grabbed the amulet and left.

Instilled with new confidence, she worked her way through the palace, got rid of that pesky summoner, and cleared out the Canyon of the Magi, and even managed to cube this handy ring for the Duriel fight. Things were slow, but safe. Now that she had some form of crowd control in decoy, she felt confident. Until the second false tomb.

The final room had the standard group of unravellers with their skellies, and some ghoul lords hanging around. Seems okay, although the unravellers can be a pain. Even though Calabi has taken a page out of Sissy's book, and now carries a big sword on switch, she still doesn't do a ton of damage (and it leaves her quite vulnerable), so keeping up with the resurrections of multiple unravellers takes time. Regardless, Calabi and Kasim (yes, Kasim. a note on where Emilio went will be at the end of the post) slowly worked their way through the doorway, while Calabi threw decoys up to distract the Unravellers and keep them from res'ing their little bony friends too quickly. Well, Calabi must have thrown a decoy slightly too far, and out from the back corner came a boss pack of Ghoul Lords. I have no screenies, because things got way too hectic, way too quickly (I have no idea how you guys get those shots so well!). The decoy went down and Kasim confronted the Ghoul Lords. Cold enchanted (and extra fast, if i recall correctly *shudder*). Uh-oh, now Kasim was slowed, and Calabi didn't dare get too close, as slower run speed could mean she couldn't get out quickly enough. She tried to run but the Unravellers had started raising the skellies at the door, it was blocked! Then Calabi noticed something..mummies were trickling in from the back corner. Great, a mummy sarcophagus is NOT what she needed right now.

She threw up decoys while pounding mana pots and feeding Kasim healers, but the skellies were rising up faster than she could kill them, and Kasim was VERY pre-occupied with the boss pack (good thing too, Calabi couldn't have taken them), and the steady stream of mummies. I considered TP'ing out, but Calabi decided that she wanted to take a stand (this ego-trip will have to be adjusted in later acts ;)). All of a sudden, Kasim had taken out a couple minions, and the decoys were working their magic on the unravellers. The tides had turned! Calabi cleared the skeletons, and then turned her attention to the unravellers. Eventually the room was cleared, and with no mana OR healing pots left in the belt or inventory, and only 2 Full Rejuvs remaining! Whew! While I wouldn't call it a NDE, it was definitely the most intense D2 moment I've had in a long while. At least I got alot of decoy practice! :p

Upon returning to town, Calabi vowed that at the next break she would mule some runes back and make a Nadir helm to keep in the stash as soon as humanly possible.

The rest of the act was straightforward, and /p3 Duriel dropped nothing of use. Calabi is now looking forward to Act 3, and is also already terrified of Ssark. Should be fun!

So what happened to Emilio? I decided to switch from Blessed Aim to a Defiance mercenary, so hired a new one. I then changed my mind and went back to Blessed Aim. No real reason for it, but it's nice not worrying about if he can hit anything. What does everyone think of hiring a Thorns merc (if I get that far)? I know they aren't exactly stellar, but Thorns on a beefed up Valk/Decoy might be fun. Maybe?

Calabi the Amazon, with Kasim, lvl 28 - Kurast Docks

PS- how often do people want the table updated? I figure once every 20 posts or so, depending on the amount of progress being made. What do you guys think?

Pb_pal said:
and Kasim confronted the Ghoul Lords. Cold enchanted (and extra fast, if i recall correctly *shudder*).
Non-Superunique bosses have only one random ability in Normal. All vampires have a chance to do cold damage with their melee attack, so you may have thought they were CE even if they weren't.

Pb_pal said:
I know they aren't exactly stellar, but Thorns on a beefed up Valk/Decoy might be fun. Maybe?

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you can reliably apply Amplify Damage on the enemies. Then it's pretty good (on low players settings) against the really hard hitters. My Rare Pleasures tourney character was a Returnomacer + Lord of Mages. He had Thorns merc. Never managed to get this merc a (rare) weapon with good damage, but I still remember how great the Hell Ancients fight went when they hit themselves to death on my Thornsy golem.

Pb_pal said:
PS- how often do people want the table updated? I figure once every 20 posts or so, depending on the amount of progress being made. What do you guys think?

I view the forum with 40 posts per page. About a table per page would be fine.

Ah, that would be it then. I was too busy panicking to check the mods closely. :p

jiansonz said:
Non-Superunique bosses have only one random ability in Normal. All vampires have a chance to do cold damage with their melee attack, so you may have thought they were CE even if they weren't.

jiansonz said:
I wouldn't recommend it, unless you can reliably apply Amplify Damage on the enemies.
Hm, alright. I think I'll just stick with Blessed Aim then, or maybe eventually go Defiance if I feel my merc is too squishy,

jiansonz said:
I view the forum with 40 posts per page. About a table per page would be fine.

I think that sounds reasonable. Anyone remember how to change their viewing settings?

Thanks jiansonz, I appreciate all the help!

Zylo said:
What sort of gear did you have on him? I think the summoning tree screams to be some sort of hybrid. With the timers on the fire skills, that makes for a perfect fit. Did you use the dire wolves more or the bear? I was planning on using the bear, and I'm hoping to snag some +skills somewhere to have a flock of ravens to help with crowd control. At the very least, a continuous casting of ravens will give me something to do.

Without any fire skills, or shockwave for a shock summoner, play style so far is pretty much shift+left click. No real noticeable difference in killing speed when I'm attacking or just standing there.

After reading that everyone is slammin' topaz in their gear, I decided to do the same. I think I'm in the area of +130 mf now. So far drops have been few and far between. I've netted several set items, only two of which go together, and zero unique items thus far.

Thanks to some sturdy meat shields, bosses have gone down fairly easy and without incident.

Update: Level 32 and just hit the River of Flame WP. (I can't tell where my level should be at for single pass.) So later this evening the plan is to slay ol' Big-D. It's going to be really intense! Okay, not really intense... but pretty intense.
You can read my guard thread here if you have enough interest:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/threads/guardian-predator-fire-hunter-druid.864589/

Note that I twinked pretty much anything I could to make it easier.

Summons for a druid really only need maxed dire wolves and maxed grizzly to work. The life boost from spirit wolves really isn't all that necessary, and spirits typically die too easy to be reliable, ravens/vines are one point wonders. That being said since you don't have a hybrid route to go with, you'll have the extra points to dump into spirit wolves and the spirit of your choice (probably HoW so it isn't incredibly slow going).

Harmony in a Great bow was my end game weapon (great bow has the lowest dex requirements, and wanting to use spirit monarch for casting stat points were already stretched). I hardly noticed a difference between plinking off the arrows and just standing there, but I guess its something to do. The valk is a nice extra tank though, so if you come across a ko rune, its not a bad choice.

I used dire wolves for most questing, and only used bear for bosses until act 4 hell where the wolves pretty much died too much to be worth the trouble at which point the bear was the summon of choice.

With my Green with Envy tourney fire/summoner hybrid (summoning was main focus, fire was secondary), I preferred the Grizzly. I used an Act III Cold merc, which was great for keeping the bear focused on one enemy at a time. Otherwise he would often shift to another target after knocking back the first, and the first would regenerate life. Annoying (even though my Poison Creeper often helped stop regeneration on the non-PoI critters).
HoW was my spirit of choice, but skill points were stretched so I could not max it (ended up with level 13 or so in it).

Calabi, still a bit shaken from her ordeal in the false tombs, decided to spend a bit of time at the Kurast docks upgrading her equipment and making some plans for how she was going to find all of these "Khalim" guy's body parts. She spent all of her saved up gold gambling circlets, hoping for some with some MF on them, but managed to score not a SINGLE one. Oh well, at least a bunch of them could be sold for more than the max gold, so they were stashed for later acts. Maybe Jamella will be kinder to her than Alkor. He will get his wish of being left alone to fiddle with his potions for now. She went to Halbu to try and shop a decent Flamberge, but nothing too great was popping up, so she decided to just venture out and see what she could find. First and foremost though, she shopped a teleport staff, and made herself a 'Nadir' helm to keep in the stash, just in case ;).

I love act 3. I don't know why, I just really like it. I like how it looks, I like the winding jungle paths, I like the monster draws. It's my favourite act (with Act 4 a close 2nd). The game must have known this because my topaz luck has finally turned around! Flawed topazes were dropping all over the place, and Calabi has managed to cube up a couple Standard Topazes so far in this act alone. She also found a 2os Giant Sword, which she promptly made 'Steel' in. Not the Flamberge she wanted, but it will do for now. She now has that sword on main switch, with PMH balanced knives and a Bone Shield of Deflecting on switch for trickier situations. Much better!

The Spider Forest and Great Marsh was cleared out with no problems. Sszark didn't give her too much grief, though the merc did die a couple times. She hit level 30 in the Flayer Jungle, and let me tell you, that was a relief! The valk is a very welcomed addition to the team. She doesn't kill anything yet (not that I want her to, I need the extra MF from Kasim's kills), but just having an extra body out there has made playing Calabi a walk in the park. Khalim's brain was salvaged from Dr. Endugu without issue. We found the WP and quit for the night, but I'm itching to get back to her and test out the valk further, so I'll hopefully have more progress tomorrow!

Calabi the Amazon, with Kasim, lvl 30 - Flayer Jungle

Pb_pal said:
The valk is a very welcomed addition to the team. She doesn't kill anything yet (not that I want her to, I need the extra MF from Kasim's kills
You probably know this already but I'll say it anyway. There is a very large increase in her damage output when she is cast at slvl 8 compared to slvl 7 or lower. Her weapon type goes from Spear to Lance.

@Pyro - I even looked in the mat/pat thread for it, but I didn't think to check the HC section.(My detective skills are astonishing.) As soon as I opened it up, I remembered reading it in the past. The death that late in the game must have sucked something fierce.

Update on Hoyt.

Last we left off with Hoyt being at the River of Flame, getting ready to tackle Diablo. Up to this point, I hadn't been incredibly lucky with drops. Hoyt's gear being mainly rares items, and a couple mismatched set items. Luckily the rares I had did manage to gather, did happen to roll with +fire resistance. With my fire resists maxed, I felt confident as I entered the Chaos Sanctuary. My dire wolves hungry for battle, I pressed onward at /p8. Soon the seals were activated and it was time for Diablo. The last 3 act bosses went down without any trouble, but I didn't want to get too over zealous with this boss, as he would be the toughest adversary yet. I lowered the players setting, cracked the last seal, and headed to face Diablo. He was definately a challenge, and I felt good with the decision of lowered /p setting. The fight lasted for a minute or so, before I came out victorious. This fight hadn't been a breeze like the last few bosses. The battle consisted of a constant recasting of every summon I had at my disposal, plink a few arrows, pray for that 5% amp to go off(It didn't), and the whole time trying to avoid the red lightning he was shooting at my face.
Screenshot103.jpg

With that I headed into act 5. Soon I dispatched Shenk and his minions.
Screenshot104.jpg
Forge was a Nef rune, so I was glad to see a higher rune drop. The ring was the Angelic Halo, and the second piece of the set for me. Soon AR issues were a thing of the past.
Later came the ancients.
Screenshot106.jpg
I killed them very quickly, and was slightly disappointed I hadn't attempted it on a more difficult players setting. I hadn't died though, so the disappointment was soon forgotten.

I ventured onwards, deeper and deeper, until finally I came to the throne room. /P8 lister took some time, but no real danger. It was time for baal. By now my dire wolves were maxed, and they seem to do decent damage. Baal is kind of a wimp, I thought to myself. I then wondered if I could handle elevated players levels for this boss battle. Before I knew what happened, I had set the players level to 3, and was in the WSC fighting baal. My confidence was soon rattled, as my wolves seemed to do little to no damage, before being slaughtered. My remaining confidence was then shattered as Baal cloned himself(the real Baal being at 95%+ life). Feeling trapped, I had to make some distance between the foes. My heart rate raised, my butt puckered, I shot the gap between the goliath demons. I lived... my army of summons in tatters. It was then an uneasy game of cat and mouse. The fight lasted for several minutes, and concluded with-
Screenshot109.jpg

If I thought that was hard, I better get ready for a real nightmare. ;)

Natasha, Visala, and Melody are in the Inner Cloister trading stories about demons. Melody is a very hyper shadow warrior who fires blade sentinel kind of weirdly. Nothing else much has happened, besides watching Melody tank Pitspawn for a change.

Melody: I'm still kind of bitter about almost dying from that one.

Natasha: You're lucky I was paying attention.

DJ: Wishes from you guys?

Natasha: Better weapon.

Visala: Better weapon.

Melody: more points in me may help. Of course, I have a feeling she's going for the master over me.

Natasha, Visala, and Melody, the level 19, 17, and 2 (Assassin, rogue, and Shadow Master) in the Inner Cloister. Next UP: Andariel.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High