[2015] The Passive Aggressive Tournament [by Pb_pal]

Southpaw8668 said:
Researched with the Drop Calc and it looks like the earliest I can expect a magical War Fork to drop is Norm Baal. Maybe I'll get super lucky, but I can't remember him ever dropping me exceptional magic spear. Found many more of these and elites in NM and Hell CS. At what character level can you purchase or gamble these items?
First, you need to know the qlvls of the weapon types. I have printed sheets myself, but it can be found on e.g. d2data

For gambling, the item level of the gamble varies from clvl-5 to clvl+4. In order for an upgrade to excep/elite to be possible, the ilvl of the gamble must be at least as high as the qlvl of the item type. The upgrade to exceptional happens quite often but the upgrade to elite is rare (a bit above 2%, and increasing a little with ilvl).

For shopping, ilvl of a shopped item (on Nightmare and Hell) is clvl+5
To see which vendor can sell which item (in which difficulty), use this shopping calculator
Chance of upgrade to exceptional on Nightmare is typically about 7-9% (it depends on clvl)
Chance of upgrade to exceptional on Hell is typically about 16% (-"-)
Chance of upgrade to elite on Hell is typically about 2.5% (-"-)

What I often do in early-mid Nightmare if I do not find any good merc weapons is to gamble a rare weapon with good +%ED and upgrade it to exceptional. I go for weapon types that will make ilvl-qlvl/2 quite likely to be at least 41, because that's the affix level for Ferocious (up to +200% ED).

jiansonz said:
First, you need to know the qlvls of the weapon types. I have printed sheets myself, but it can be found on e.g. d2data

For gambling, the item level of the gamble varies from clvl-5 to clvl+4. In order for an upgrade to excep/elite to be possible, the ilvl of the gamble must be at least as high as the qlvl of the item type. The upgrade to exceptional happens quite often but the upgrade to elite is rare (a bit above 2%, and increasing a little with ilvl).

For shopping, ilvl of a shopped item (on Nightmare and Hell) is clvl+5
To see which vendor can sell which item (in which difficulty), use this shopping calculator
Chance of upgrade to exceptional on Nightmare is typically about 7-9% (it depends on clvl)
Chance of upgrade to exceptional on Hell is typically about 16% (-"-)
Chance of upgrade to elite on Hell is typically about 2.5% (-"-)

What I often do in early-mid Nightmare if I do not find any good merc weapons is to gamble a rare weapon with good +%ED and upgrade it to exceptional. I go for weapon types that will make ilvl-qlvl/2 quite likely to be at least 41, because that's the affix level for Ferocious (up to +200% ED).
Thanks for the handy links, looks like I can't purchase a magical War Fork till Act II from Fara or later. It's not even possible to purchase a Mancatcher even in Hell, so I have to wait till a magical one drops in late NM and Hell I suppose.

FollowTheBear is now chilling in Harrogath at level 35.75. Act IV brought me the first situation where I had to give the merc a pot. The venom lords could get him to half life after few seconds, and the poison after about 15 seconds would require a pot. This was also the first time that my merry band of bear and merc started to slow in killing speed.

I didn't have any trouble through any of Act IV. I didn't get any nasty ranged attackers hitting me in the RoF area. Izual took awhile, FollowTheBear went ahead and had some fun hitting Izzy himself.

I brought back in resist gear to fight big D. I forgot to bring my mercs life leach circlet, but I doubt it would have mattered. I lowered the psetting to p5 right before hitting the last seal. The merc and bear didn't last long at all, and I was soon running for my life trying to figure out how to use mana pots with a belt full of heals and one column of juvies. They did about 1/20th of diablos Hp before dying, but my poison creeper was still roaming around! I tried rezzing merc and bear, but they died instantly this time. Hmmm. Bear wasn't doing anything. I made a Malice Great Axe for just this occasion. I removed the teleport staff i had shopped and equipped Malice. Then i ran away from diablo, and got bone prisoned. I started freaking out and threw my shield and club on the ground and equipped my teleport staff. This process probably took about 5 seconds to complete and I took no damage, but there was at least 6 things I could have done quicker and easier. Of course the easiest would be hitting the prison with my weapon, but that never crossed my mind!

After running around and getting nothing accomplished, I eventually settled into summoning the bear around a corner and chugging mana pots. That didin't last too long, so then I started summong the bear on the other side of D and hittimg him with my axe. By now I had picked up every potion in the CS, so I made a few town trips. D slowly went down with this method and overall it took 15 minutes or so. Once I got settled, the only scary point was getting cold touched and almost lightning hosed. I got away in time, but it was a white knuckled slowly-walk-away-while-frozen.

And now a scant pic or two:

Bear likes to watch (i had to resummon to get him to attack):
Bear%20likes%20to%20watch.jpg

One of my favorite twinking items, so much strength!:
Interesting%20wooh.jpg

And finally D's drop:
Diablo%20Drop.jpg

The axe is Humongous.
Code:
Humongous Giant Axe
Two Hand Damage: 53 - 118
Durability: 26 of 50
Required Level: 29
Required Strength: 84
Fingerprint: 0x3a42ce3b
Item Level: 40
Version: Expansion 1.10
+108% Enhanced Damage
Adds 8 - 25 Damage
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
+24 to Strength
Requirements +20%

I have used this many times in the past on restarts, and I never once noticed that the requirements is +20%. Guess I never looked close enough. Makes me mad it wasn't a steeldriver. 2.5x the ED and -50% requirements? And ias? This axe got gypped!

jiansonz said:
But Sissy and Waheed are now very close to an absolute BEAST of a weapon.
The suspense! Here's hoping you get what you need to complete it!

@thefranklin - Calabi used the Humongous axe from A1NM through to Hell, where she switched to 'Passion'. It's not the speediest of weapons, but the CB was quite handy!

Also, great info jiansonz and felixbavaria on shopping/imbuing/crafting etc. It's amazing how after all these years, I'm still learning things about this game.

--

Just a smaller (in terms of progress) update from Calabi today. I probably won't be having as much playing time for a while, so progress might wane a little bit. I will do my best to keep you all updated on the rest of Calabi's journey regardless.

She and Kasim picked up at the Lost City WP and cleared out the Ancient Tunnels, hoping the high alvl would net us some elite polearms worth using, or some more goodies. We got neither. Calabi is much more involved in the fighting now, and partakes in pretty much every fight. We still have to be careful with the really hard hitters, but she's much happier now that she can at least get her hands dirty a little bit!

The CVT started off with one of my least favourite formations (The one with the cul-de-sac that has the door to the chars right upon entering, see screenie). So we went straight ahead and were met in the next room by a boss pack of extra fast snakes, and a champ pack of Guardians along with their skeleton cohort. Not good. Thus began a hectic fight of trying desperately not to lose position to the knockback-ing snakes, while simultaneously not getting surrounded by skellies. We got pushed all the way back to the entrance, where we luckily did not wake up any other monsters. We managed to use some urns to funnel the snakes, and then they and the skellies went down without issue. Once that was over, we could deal with the Guardians in peace. Calabi used Zeal (as they are MI) against them, and was pleasantly surprised. She has no +skills, so it's only 2 hits. Truth be told though, I think I prefer that with her, as I wouldn't want to have to wait for the end of a 5-hit cycle to be able to move away from danger. After that less than ideal start, the rest of the level was done with no problems.

Time to pay a visit to our old friend Fangskin. We stepped down the stairs and moved forward down the hallway slowly. From the top of the screen came skellies and a snake or two. We killed the snakes, but the Guardians kept ressurecting the skellies, so we weren't making any progress. Some more snakes started coming from the bottom of the room. A quick check showed they weren't minions, so that was good. They started knocking the decoy around and between them and the skellies, we were getting pushed towards the entrance. We did NOT want to get stuck there, so we switched to our teleport staff in an attempt to establish position.

cfuvHjK.jpg

Not bad, but not great. The valk was strong enough to take Fangskin on her own, and Kasim stood excatly where you see him, getting pummeled by the unholy bolts of the Guardians. We used the decoy to distract snakes into the lower corner (you can see her on the map of the screenie), so that the valk didn't get overwhelmed until she managed to take out Fangskin all on her own. We couldn't hold this position forever though, as Kasim was just getting slammed, and the knockback from the snakes threatened to push the valk up the stairs, which could get very messy. We tele'd back out to the eastern corner of the main room, and from there we managed to work our way around the room clockwise until it was all cleared. Phew! That wasn't as bad as it could have been, but we definitely caught a couple lucky breaks. We also forgot to mule on the Nadir helm AGAIN, which could have saved some aggaravation from those Guardians.:rolleyes:

The Palace was cleared easily, with the only problem being this gentleman:

xhCaInA.jpg

Horror archers have 75% Magic Resistance, which meant that Berserk did basically nothing. Luckily, we had cast a valk with a ctc Amp, so once again she was the hero of the day:

FIZmZDl.jpg

It only took three or four cycles of Amp-ing to take him down, between the three of us. We managed to clear one section of the Arcane Sanctuary before quitting for the night, with no snags.

Other finds/notes;
- Burning GC of Greed (Big surprise, more Enchantress fodder:rolleyes:)
- Haemosu's Adament
- Trang-Oul's Scales
- Another plain Ogre Axe. Still no magical/rare elite polearms/spears yet.
- Fal rune from a chest in Arcane. Now we can either make a Lionheart for Kasim's end-game armour, or hold out and hope for a Ko to make Obedience. I might try some cubing/crafting etc in the meantime, and if that provides us with a juicy weapon, then the choice is made for us.

Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 83, Arcane Sanctuary

@Pb_pal
Roll a magical one:
3 Standard Gems (normal) and 1 Socketed Weapon (Any Type) = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon (of same type)
This takes a socketed weapon and makes it a magic socketed weapon with a random number of sockets. This allows you to get new magic bonuses on an otherwise non magical weapon. The original weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. ilvl = 30. It gets 1-2 sockets.

srrw said:
@Pb_pal
Roll a magical one:
3 Standard Gems (normal) and 1 Socketed Weapon (Any Type) = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon (of same type)
This takes a socketed weapon and makes it a magic socketed weapon with a random number of sockets. This allows you to get new magic bonuses on an otherwise non magical weapon. The original weapon properties will be removed (rerolled) when the new weapon is created. ilvl = 30. It gets 1-2 sockets.
Yes I could do that, I would just have to socket one first. I've got a few Pamethysts to go around, so I might have to go this route if I don't see one soon. I forgot about that recipe, thanks!

As an experiment I crafted two different magical War Forks on the Realms, since I already had several of the needed ingredients for the crafting recipe. Both purchased from Fara in Hell difficulty, wasn't able to bring up any in NM like I thought I could. See the screenshots for the drastic variation that came out. Both kind of troll spears, but at least one of them came out with two sockets and better overall stats. I think I will wait till I can get my hands on either a magical Ghost Spear or Mancatcher prior to crafting or try my chancing with the three normal gem recipe as previously mentioned by srrw. On an even more sour note these were crafted by a lvl 87 character, so I believe he should have gain access to the most possible modifiers on top of the mandatory few.

Crafted WF 01.jpg
Crafted WF 02.jpg

Last edited:
Destroyer Hallow, Mizan and Gumby have successfully defeated Baal. We plan to go back in Normal and finish up Nihlathak and Cows before continuing on. I'm pretty fired up from Pindleskin dropping a white Partizan, which I figured had a pretty good chance at my level from him to come up with 4 sockets from Larzuk and it did. Now I just need to find another Tir, so I can make Insight. Now I wish I didn't make two Strength weapons for Mizan earlier. :oops: Ah well, both of them came in handy at different times when he needed either more attacking speed or more damage.

I'm so glad that I decided to throw a point in Attract, since that spell made getting through almost every generally hairy situation rather chill. I just stood back and watch Gumby slow everything he touched and Mizan destroy everything with the CB sticks. I think the faster weapon tended to be better overall the farther along we got, I never switched back to the slower Pike. Maybe I should however?

Lister dropped us a nice ranged weapon for later perhaps, once I get my dexterity up to the requirements.

Lister Drop.jpg

Baal Drop.jpg

StrengthPike.jpg

StrengthWS.jpg

Destroyer Hallow.jpg

Destroyer Hallow, Mizan and Gumby, Level 47, Heading to kill Nihlathak

Last edited:
Beldric and Elexa have completed Act II and arrived in Kurast.

There was a Stoneskin Apparition in one of the false tombs that was immune to physical damage. Fortunately, Beldric is always attacking with some kind of extremely low-grade Vengeance thanks to gems and charms (6-11 cold damage, 9-14 fire, 2-8 lightning), but that fight still took a very long time.

Duriel was hard. That fight also took a very long time. I used a dozen scrolls of Town Portal. My strategy became Bash Duriel (using a non-approved skill for some extra damage thanks to the charges on a Crimson Horned Helm of Bashing that I found) until I got down too low on health, TP back, talk to Fara to heal and repair if necessary, run into the sewers to refresh the durations on Shout and Battle Orders, then reenter the portal to Duriel and repeat. Elexa died again. Eh, once per act isn't too bad.

I found my first unique, Gleamscythe. I probably wouldn't use it even if I wasn't mace-specced. I also found more set items, although not much variety. I have Civerb's Ward that Beldric is still using and a Berserker's Headgear in storage. I also have two of Cathan's Meshes, two of Cleglaw's Pincers, and three Angelic Mantles.

My best rune so far is Ral, but I have four of them so I could make Ort if I really wanted to.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the jungle has to offer.

Beldric the Barbarian and Elexa the Cold Rogue, level 28, at the Kurast Docks.

@Southpaw8668: An item level of 71 or higher* on the crafted item guarantees it will get 4 random affixes. Your two examples did.

* Ilvl on crafted items = old item level/2 (rounded down) + clvl/2 (rounded down)

Here is the spear my Impalazon uses in Act III NM in the Craftsman's Child tourney. We must use crafted items (or quest rewards) and aren't allowed a merc so it's currently a slog for her on /p8:

Dire Nails
Yari

Two-Hand Damage: 49 to 100
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Strength: 101
Required Level: 41
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 63
Fingerprint: 0xfa2c2133
+7% Enhanced Defense
+70% Enhanced Damage
+61 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 2
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
+12 poison damage over 3 seconds
5% Mana stolen per hit

Not good, but it's the best yet (I'm out of Sol runes!) and it gets the job done (barely).

Crafting is a lot like gambling - you either need to get lucky or try several times. And with a recipe like this where the fixed abilities aren't any good, it's harder to score something nice than on a dropped/gambled/imbued rare (since those can have up to 6 affixes).

@jiansonz : thanks for sharing the info about the other tourney. That sounds fun and challenging for sure! I've tried building entire Ladder characters with crafted items and they almost always ended up so underpowered that I gave up on them. Especially when you are rolling a normal class item and you barely get any additional affixes because of your ilvl and your clvl. I still have Elite crafted items I'm waiting to use because the crazy clvl requirement after crafting it with a lvl 80+ character to try and get the most affixes. Also, building an Impalazon is something I've always wanted too try, perhaps I will give it a shot with a crafted weapon and additional kit in that tourney you mention. :)

jiansonz said:
@Southpaw8668: An item level of 71 or higher* on the crafted item guarantees it will get 4 random affixes. Your two examples did.

* Ilvl on crafted items = old item level/2 (rounded down) + clvl/2 (rounded down)

Here is the spear my Impalazon uses in Act III NM in the Craftsman's Child tourney. We must use crafted items and aren't allowed a merc so it's currently a slog for her on /p8:

Dire Nails
Yari

Two-Hand Damage: 49 to 100
Durability: 28 of 28
Required Strength: 101
Required Level: 41
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 63
Fingerprint: 0xfa2c2133
+7% Enhanced Defense
+70% Enhanced Damage
+61 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 2
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
+12 poison damage over 3 seconds
5% Mana stolen per hit

Not good, but it's the best yet (I'm out of Sol runes!) and it gets the job done (barely).

Crafting is a lot like gambling - you either need to get lucky or try several times. And with a recipe like this where the fixed abilities aren't any good, it's harder to score something nice than on a dropped/gambled/imbued rare (since those can have up to 6 affixes).
Hmm, can't seem to find that Craftsman's Child tournament. How far back did it start?

Last edited:
Hallow, Mizan and Gumby have executed hundreds of cows and one double-crossing Harrogath Necromancer. Anya personally thanked us for that and we now begin our NM adventures. Angelic suit dropped on the way to Nihlathak. Another Cathan's suit and a couple runes dropped in Cows and one was a Tir. Woot, woot! So, I assembled this beautifully, cheese-filled weapon of cruelness for Mizan.

Screenshot001 (1).jpg

Destroyer Hallow, Mizan and Gumby, Level 47, NM Act I

Last edited:
It's been a long time sense I've been to these forums and fired up Diablo, over 5 years in fact. My last character was a HC barbarian in the no vitality tournament who died in hell. Sense I've last been here I've graduated college, worked for two public accounting firms, currently work for a world leading automotive manufacturer, and have gotten married! Yet here I am and D2 has sucked me back in again.

Without further ado, I announce Relic, the necromancer who will specialize in iron golem, curses, and will not use cheese explos.... Error I mean corse explosion to get through the game. While contemplating curses, I plan to utilize and invest at least one point into decrepify, attract, dim vision, and confuse. I also plan to heavily synergize and use bone armor. Now with iron golem as my main and only summonable, I was considering maximizing iron maiden to basically allow monsters to beat themselves to death. Against ranged attackers I will utilize other curse as I see fit.

Any thoughts, suggestions, improvements on my build? My playing time will be sparse so I want to make sure I make the most of this opportunity.

Edit: I forgot to mention I started this morning and he is up to the stoney field at level 10.

bladejj said:
It's been a long time sense I've been to these forums and fired up Diablo, over 5 years in fact. My last character was a HC barbarian in the no vitality tournament who died in hell. Sense I've last been here I've graduated college, worked for two public accounting firms, currently work for a world leading automotive manufacturer, and have gotten married! Yet here I am and D2 has sucked me back in again.

Without further ado, I announce Relic, the necromancer who will specialize in iron golem, curses, and will not use cheese explos.... Error I mean corse explosion to get through the game. While contemplating curses, I plan to utilize and invest at least one point into decrepify, attract, dim vision, and confuse. I also plan to heavily synergize and use bone armor. Now with iron golem as my main and only summonable, I was considering maximizing iron maiden to basically allow monsters to beat themselves to death. Against ranged attackers I will utilize other curse as I see fit.

Any thoughts, suggestions, improvements on my build? My playing time will be sparse so I want to make sure I make the most of this opportunity.

Edit: I forgot to mention I started this morning and he is up to the stoney field at level 10.
Welcome to the tournament! I am currently utilizing Amp, Dim, Attract and the occasional Decrepify. I was fortunate to find Decrepify on a head in A3 council, so could beef up my CG even further with the save points. I haven't really utilized the IG all that much, but I started pumping FG and was disappointed in his performance, so I've generally been using the CG along with my A2 Merc. I'm curious what your performance will be like just focusing on IG. I kept adding to FG even though it is getting super mana intensive because of the damage boost to all the other Golems he adds. I've used IG a few times when I find a juicy high damage weapon I don't really need to sell and he often dies fairly soon in the heavier battles. Good Luck!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High