[2015] The Committed Tournament [by kestegs]

skoolbus said:
Warning, big post! Long overdue update on Starry. Currently slightly into Act III, NM. Lightning Fury kills absurdly fast and is a lot of fun to use. I was able to get away with magic Maiden Javelins through Act I, NM. Starry used her two imbue rewards on two different Ceremonial Javelins in Act II, NM. The first were pretty awful, the second aren't terrible, and is what she currently uses, though there is room for improvement. (I apologize for the screen breakage I'm about to cause) Act III, Normal went by fast, Meph's drop was nothing special, all was sold.

c9ujrPm.jpg

Act IV didn't bring any excitement. Diablo went down without a struggle.
QA5Mpik.jpg

The Rattlecage is my merc's current armor. The ctc fear is very nice, provides for a lot of distracting while he does little damage and dies often.
Act V was no trouble for Starry and brought many needed levels. Charged Strike was maxed and Lightning Fury was nearly maxed by the end of Act V. Pretty neat drop in the Bloody Foothills. I think the game is telling me something.
KUM31eP.jpg

Only other noteworthy part of Act V was gambling. I had some great gambling luck, managing to snag these:
Maiden's Circlet of the Mammoth
Defense: 28
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 27
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xcb234e10
+37 to Life
+1 to Amazon Skill Levels

Starry's Hailstone Track
Chain Boots
Defense: 13
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 18
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 38
Fingerprint: 0x82e6b630
+30% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +26%
Cold Resist +34%
20% Faster Run/Walk
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
Half Freeze Duration

I'm not sure I will see better boots than those, which earned a personalize. WSK and Baal's minions didn't prove much of a challenge, neither did Baal.
NlULBu1.jpg

On to Nightmare!
Treehead dropped a bonanza of uniques.
Iol7dW4.jpg

The Face Of Horror is Wulfstan's current helmet. He is now double dipping on ctc fear. A unique in Level 4 Catacombs dropped another unique amulet, this time The Mahim-Oak Curio. Andarial wasn't too difficult, Wulfstan bit the dust a few times and Andy dropped yellows which were sold.
Act II brought a bucketload of rune drops and not much else. This was the best drop of Act II.
JZXNsH9.jpg

I noticed Starry isn't as resilient as I would like. I plan on making a Smoke armor with the Lum soon as I find a decent base. I feel I am in desperate need of an upgrade to my shield. I'm still using an Ancient's Pledge Gothic Shield, and it's pretty much useless for blocking, so Starry stays well out of harms way chucking javs into the fray. I'm open to any suggestions on shield upgrades.
Duriel must have killed Wulfstan a dozen times, he lasted about three hits before biting the dust. Duriel dropped Sigon's Shelter, which is unlikely to see any use.

Starting out in Act III, there were four! unique packs of the big tree stomping guys. Took quite a while to kill, thankfully none of them were lightning immune. So far Plague Javelin and Wulfstan are enough to take down one or two LI's.

Starry the equally balanced Javazon and Wulfstan the Barbarian, level 60, Spider Forest

jiansonz said:
@littlesamurai: are you sure you have posted your progress in the correct tourney thread?
I ask because:
1. you mention both golem and Dim Vision. In this tourney, we are restricted to one skill tree only (except for charges and those +skills available to all classes, aka oskills)
2. The MF from our gear is this tourney should always be 0.

littlesamurai said:
jiansonz said:
@littlesamurai: are you sure you have posted your progress in the correct tourney thread?
I ask because:
1. you mention both golem and Dim Vision. In this tourney, we are restricted to one skill tree only (except for charges and those +skills available to all classes, aka oskills)
2. The MF from our gear is this tourney should always be 0.
You are right, this belongs to the Passive Agressive tournament, already copied it there, can anyone delete the post.

Was reading though this tourny thinking of joining and ended up posting progress here... my bad.

kestegs said:
You can just edit your post and delete the contents, not a big deal though. And now you should definitely join!

Nice progress, skoolbus! Those are some great finds, and it's nice to see an act 5 merc as well!

Vildecor said:
Atalanta made lots of progress over the weekend. I'll try to keep it to the highlights.

Made a 'Steel' Flail once I finally got a Tir rune to drop. Decoy finally gave me the ability for some crowd control. Atalanta is still pretty safe at this point, but things die faster when they're not all trying to hit me at once. The decoy is great to throw at ranged attackers, or to just generally hold the attention of some baddies while I focus on the priority targets:

Screenshot012.jpg

Duriel was mostly a pushover. Just had to use a few healing pots when he managed to connect. He dropped Sander's boots, but I don't think I'll be keeping them. Found a couple of set items in the Arachnid Lair sparkly chest.

Valkyrie was available mid-Act III. Once she has some more skill points, she'll be the real crowd control. For now, I had to take over tanking duties when we fought Mephisto.

Screenshot018.jpg

Within a few minutes of stepping into Act IV, I found an Amn rune and a 2os Blade. So I made 'Strength'. The base damage isn't that great so this will mostly be used for Act bosses. We're still on the lookout for a nice Sword to put King's Grace in for the next Amn rune. Hellforge dropped an Ort and a Perfect Ruby.

Diablo was also tanked by Atalanta, as I didn't think the Valkyrie would withstand his lightning hose for long. Popped a healing pot each time he hosed me, and he went down smoothly. No merc/valk deaths.

Screenshot023.jpg

On to Act V! A couple of uniques were found while working on Anya's quest. Sadly, nothing I really needed. I found I could safely stand up to 2 or 3 frenzytaurs at a time without too many problems.

Screenshot028.jpg

Here I have my new 'Lore' helm and a magic Plate mail with life and LR. She's all about the blood and bones look right now. It was also at this point that my Valkyrie surpassed me in usefulness. Once she hit level 8 and got her Rare Lance, she was a death machine. A couple of times I saw her one-shot Defilers and Demon Imps. Itonya, my rogue mercenary had a shiny new 'Zephyr' Edge Bow while I was still getting mileage out of my 'Steel' Flail.

The Ancients were not difficult at all either. Pre-cast a Decoy in the middle before I activated them, then ran off screen to try and split them up a bit. Madawc followed me while the other two were focused on killing my double.

Screenshot029.jpg

Shortly after this screenie, Korlic leaped at my face. The Valkyrie came with him and we both worked on dispatching him while Madawc annoyed me with his tomahawks to block. Talic was still valiantly trying to whirl my Decoy to death.

Screenshot030.jpg

Madawc dropped soon after Korlic went down and poor Talic stood no chance. I didn't get a level out of this fight. I want a refund. :p

We drove on, destroying Baal's forces. Lister's pack had to be split up so they didn't knockback my Decoy and Valk all day long and then switch to me. Baal himself ignored my Valkyrie, so I took charge and withstood his attacks. Something like 6 Super Healers later, and he died.

Screenshot036.jpg

His drop was just as useless as the un-mentioned Diablo drop. I got a much better item earlier, somewhere in the WSK or Throne:

Screenshot037.jpg

It was used, as you can see, to mercilessly slice up some hamburger.

Atalanta pressed onwards into Nightmare difficulty. She found she could still keep the attention of 2 to 3 mobs without risking too much. Her chance to block is ever so slowly dropping every couple of levels. To help out, I crafted a safety amulet to get 8% more chance to block, with a bonus of +46 life and 40% GF along with it's built-in PDR/MDR. She dropped her magic Plate mail for a 3os Gothic Plate. It's got 2 perfect rubies in it, awaiting a third. At some point this will likely be replaced with a similar setup once I find something nice with 4 sockets. We also have a nice belt with +78 life, at the loss of 2 rows of pots (which I actually don't need much anyway right now). Oh, and that Bone Shield we settled for back in Act II? It's now Atalanta's Sturdy Bone Shield of Deflecting, nicely socketed by Larzuk and holding 2 Perfect Diamonds. She's also still rocking the Hotspurs. Resists are sitting at 69/23/53/78, Life is at 619, and we only have 6% life leech from a Cathan's Seal.

Anyway, Atalanta safely cleared out the Den of Evil and dispatched Blood Raven (once we finally got her in a corner!). Things are still looking great so far. From here on I'll probably be doing more bite-sized updates.

Destroyer Atalanta - Level 49 Passivezon -- Ready to head out from the Stony Field WP

kestegs said:
Vildecor : Great progress! I hoped for sander's boots for a long time, as the stats would have been nice on top of the great frw. That crystal sword is awesome! Are you going to try and upgrade it? Not sure if you'd meet the stats needed, but I'd think so.

And welcome and good luck littlesamuri! Let us know what your stat and merc choice are.

jiansonz said:
Geezer was in full control in nearly the whole of the rest of Act III.

One of the UK temples had a stairs trap:
GeezerNM07%20temple%20entrance_zpsjzqzbvqa.jpg

The spiders are LE + Extra Fast. The boss was (thankfully) boxed in by its minions at this time but I knew that wouldn't last the whole fight. That fact, plus it got a little too crowded overall in here with all the randomly-bouncing-around monsters, made me switch to my teleport staff and escape to the two bigger rooms in the left part of the area. Just a regular rogue pack here, so it was easy overall.

Ran into Champ Heirophant packs both on the Causeway (3 of them) and on the lefthand ledge of Travincal ( 4-pack). The whole first pack and half of the second pack eventually split up by themselves so Blaise could pick them off if I got her to strategic spots. The last two seemed to have decided to stay together. So close together that Geezer (after some thawing potion help) could wedge himself in and keep both occupied long enough to keep them from healing each other:
GeezerNM08%20Heirochamps_zps7edhgdcu.jpg

It was an uneventful Durance. In the Mephisto fight, I arranged a moat trick situation for Blaise, but she soon (unexpectedly) moved closer and I had to rearrange it. This time, Geezer was closest to Meph. I used Decrepify so more arrows would hit (the slowed) Mephisto. This was super slow going, though. After about 10 minutes, I gave up on the Decrepping. Fighting situation seemed extremely stable, so I switched the sound off and went to my sofa to do some reading instead. I figured that if Blaise moved inside Meph's range, he would maybe get lucky and shoot a Lightning or two through her and hit Geezer, but he should survive that. Blaise would then quickly die but Meph would still not be able to attack Geezer. Went back to check after a while. She's still plinking away, nearly halfway there now, so I could predict roughly how much longer it would take. It took her about 50 minutes in total.

By then, of course all the gold piles in the back had disappeared, as well as my ground-stored items in the Docks: four 30k+ items and even a unique: Coldkill Hatchet. Hadn't really planned on using it anyway...

There is a marked increase in monster life in Act IV, and I'd really like to give myself maximum XP and chances of rune drops for the areas that lay ahead, so I am going to take a small D2 break and do nothing but gamble bows a few sessions now. The 'Edge' Cedar Bow has been great, but it has clearly overstayed its welcome. Cruel on a rare is alvl 56. At my character level, I should be able to eventually score a decent bow in the medium section of bow types. I have about 16 million gold to spend. Would be nice to be able to save some for later, because I will most likely want to gamble a magical Crusader Bow for chippie rerolling later.

Destroyer Geezer the all-Vitality Curses Necro and Blaise the Fire Rogue, level 64, NM Pandemonium Fortress

jiansonz said:
Probability that a rare bow gambled at clvl 64 will be high enough in ilvl to support Cruel:
Long Bow: 90
Composite Bow: 70
Short Battle Bow: 40

And since the average base damage of a Short Siege Bow is only 2 higher than a Cedar Bow, my choice is simple - going for Long and Composite.

(If I had a second Ko rune, things would be so much easier. But I feel I can't risk getting to NM Ancients and not be able to wield a Harmony bow myself.)

jiansonz said:
Here is Blaise's new bow. It was already upgraded in the gamble. Since Cruel on a rare is not possible on gambled Cedar Bows at my current level, it must have rolled high-end Ferocious plus something pretty good from the King's family of affixes.

GeezerNM09%20new%20bow_zpsebqhl7wy.jpg

jiansonz said:
Pb_pal said:
@jiansonz - Very cool! Awesome that it was already upgrade. Approximately how many bows did you gamble before this one showed up?
Well, upgrading cuts off the really good stuff (a rare Long Bow has a potential maximum +450% ED...) but given that the upgrade was decided, the affix roll was great.

I spent roughly 6 millions (still 8.5 M left in the bank) and the cost of each is about 22k. So around 300, I guess.

Vildecor said:
Finished up the rest of Act I over the last few days. Nothing too exciting happened. My valkyrie is still overpowering everything we come across. She only died once the entire act (to Andariel). I only ended up seeing a few interesting drops for the rest of the act. We came across Cathan's Rule, a couple of Shael runes, and zero uniques. This ring was a nice find though:

Screenshot040.jpg

Still waiting for an Amn rune to upgrade my rare Crystal Sword. I finally scrounged up my third perfect ruby and crafted some blood gloves. They were a disappointment. Shopped some upgrades for my chest and belt. Belt has +100 life & 26 poison resist. Chest has +98 life and 28 cold resist. I need to find another source of life leech as right now I only have it from Cathan's Seal. I'll probably keep crafting safety amulets (for the extra block %) and blood gloves/rings as soon as I get the runes and gems. My lore helm will probably make room for a nice circlet if I get a nice gamble.

Andariel was safely tanked by me once she proved she could handle the Valkyrie.

Screenshot044.jpg

This is my boss weapon switch set-up - Strength Blade and Pelta Lunata, giving me an extra 20 vitality at the loss of 16% blocking. Life for main weapon set-up is currently 676.

That's it for today. Probably another update tomorrow night.

Destroyer Atalanta -- level 53 even-stat Passivezon, chilling in Lut Gholein

skoolbus said:
That's a very nice ring indeed, Vildecor.

Starry trudged onward through the rest of Act III. No real scary moments, though I avoided most of the temples for fear of a stair trap. I made a 'Smoke' trellised armor which maxed out my resists. Meph was pretty easy, he went down fast but dropped nothing of note.
1610311597220.png

Act IV was a lot of fun, very few knights, no gloams, and lots of things weak to lightning fury. Hellforge dropped a Hel. Diablo was overwhelmingly the toughest fight yet. I could only tank 3-4 hits, which was far too few for my liking, so I used Plague Javelin to kill him while I kited for about 45 minutes. I didn't bother to resurrect Wulfstan after the first lightning hose vaporized him. Diablo actually had a very nice drop with an Aldur's Rhythm, but I don't like to get my hands dirty in close quarters melee so it will be of no use.
1610311604441.png

For Act V, I am going to have to lower the players setting from /p8. I'm debating between /p1 and /p3. I haven't played in ages, so I forget how difficult of fight NM Ancients are. Is fighting them above /p1 foolish on NM? I'm worried about Baal and his minions as well. I'm not too concerned about the fewer item drops, with 0% MF, nothing useful has dropped in quite some time now. I think any gear upgrades will have to come from crafting, shopping, and gambling. I've been gambling gloves, trying for something decent, gambled ~3mil but no luck. Probably no more progress for Starry for a while, will spend some time on other characters for a bit.

Starry the equally balanced Javazon, level 67, NM Harrogoth

jiansonz said:
I am such an idiot!

GeezerNM10%20rip_zpst12gx1ll.jpg

Getting by nicely vs Extra Strong + Cursed demon boss. Got hit once (and Amped) when I hit to apply PMH. Since they are PoI, poisoned arrows don't stop regeneration. Boss dies and we start to mop up minions. All Dimmed, so no problem. Slow going, of course, so I move in to apply PMH on a minion. Got that down, then going for the next. It felt like quite some time after the boss had died, so I thought the curse would have worn off. BUT I DID NOT ACTUALLY LOOK! And you DO NOT hit an Extra Strong minion while Amped, at least not when you have only about 500 of your normal 900+ life left. Must have been a critical. But it was such an idiotic and unnecessary risk to take!

Super annoying, now that things were really starting to fly for this duo. Made a Harmony bow for myself, and it was great vs Hephasto (used 3 Revives. BTW, those charges cost 17k gold each...) and sped things up against most other monsters, too. Any time Inner Sight had been cast on a monster, Geezer's arrows hit more often than not.
Also, see how little I have left to level up? Not sure, but it's possible Blaise could also have levelled up before Diablo, and if she had, Guillaume's Face was waiting for her in the in-game stash this session.

R.I.P. Destroyer Geezer the all-Vitality Curses Necro and Blaise the Fire Rogue, level 66, NM Chaos Sanctuary, killed by player stupidity

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High