[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

I've only made one Necromancer but I'd personally go with Decrepify as it slows the monster down as well as allow you to deal more damage. It's not quite as good as Amplify against mobs and such, but that's what Corpse Explosion is for anyway.

As for the assassin, I was going to go the CoS route. I have no idea how it will work so I can't really answer your question. Only to say with CoS, bosses will be extremely hard, but since you're up against packs mostly you'll need the CoS to get to the bosses in the first place.

Mursilis said:
I've only made one Necromancer but I'd personally go with Decrepify as it slows the monster down as well as allow you to deal more damage. It's not quite as good as Amplify against mobs and such, but that's what Corpse Explosion is for anyway.

As for the assassin, I was going to go the CoS route. I have no idea how it will work so I can't really answer your question. Only to say with CoS, bosses will be extremely hard, but since you're up against packs mostly you'll need the CoS to get to the bosses in the first place.
I'll add my deliberations why I chose decrepify.

I was choosing between a few curses: Amplify Damage, Attract, Decrepify, and Dim Vision.(I think those are all I seriously considered)
Amplify Damage: gives a huge damage bonus, ideal for physical damage dealing skellies. It does not have any crowd control abilities, but it might by means of the damage increase prevent the need for crowd control.
Attract: good for crowd control, keeping your skellies alive for longer, but useless against bosses.
Decrepify: not as large a damage bonus as amplify damage, and some immunities might not be broken as a result. However, the slow effect is very useful, especially against bosses, which happened to be my main issues. The first three act bosses were okay, but Diablo and Baal and nightmare Andariel were not, nightmare Duriel I did at players1 because I was lacking decrepify. But I do see my survival chances as quite minimal against nightmare Diablo and Baal without decrepify, even at players 1.
Dim vision: the best anti-gloam curse, and in general a very good crowd control curse, but again useless against bosses. (of course for regular bosses you can use it to get rid of the minions)
In the end I concluded that solely because of act bosses decrepify is the better choice, however, I might come to regret it when I die to the first gloams I encounter in the Great Marsh.

As to the assassin, I also want some suggestions. Originally I was thinking of first obsessing in venom, shadow master, or blade fury, and the other two afterwards. However, since I cannot take a fourth obsession, this plan is off. I think I'll go with the shadow master, but I might instead take one of the buff skills. Anyway, I won't be using blade fury, instead taking another trap skill, probably death sentry, as last obsession. Neither will I take venom, since there isn't enough of a reason to take it when using it only with tiger strike and not with blade fury as well. The choice remains between shadow master, burst of speed, and fade, since I won't be able to equip any claws other than katars both claw mastery and weapon block are off. I even think I can scratch burst of speed from the above. I'm not considering cloak of shadows since the duration when maximized is more a hindrance than a boost, apart from it not being too effective against bosses. (especially act bosses)
So it comes down to: what should I take, shadow master or fade?

I'll also be introducing my other contestants shortly, after deciding on what their attribute, elemental, and first skill obsessions will be.

Last edited:
waflob said:
No cold or dex to be seen - I swear this game knows what you want ...
I agree. I am currently working on all 7 of my obsessors. When I want fire, all I see is poison. When I want poison, all I see is lightning. OF course, Vitality is almost never seen, but that is my fault for not trying a rougher attribute. Gee, is dexterity hard to find? I see them all the time.

Thanks for your replies so far!

I think I'll go for Decrepify. I hope to get through normal with CE and Decrepify only and to add Skellies afterwards...I'll see what that brings.

As for the Assassin...hmmm...SM COULD cast Cos, too, right? IIRC he can use all skills except for SM and SW. Although he will than cast it only one time out of 28...Does a SM really make bosses that much easier?

Lightning_Monk made it through Act I. It was quite annyoing to have to beat everything to death at p8, but as soon as I reach lv37, everything is going to ease up a bit. That's when I'll choose my 2nd obsession: 99% Blessed Hammer. Another option would be to first take Vigor (Synergy for BH) and then BH, but I think that's not recommended since I will have reached NM before I can use BH. So BH it is.

Andariel was no problem...gulped the usual amount of 10 antidotes and she was done in a minute. Had one NDE while being nearly surrounded by 4 champion the banished, but could escape with a TP.
My gear is really bad, although each slot equipped.

Current Level: 21, 1st obsession skill lv 3
Total Score: 22
10 WPs: 10
6 quests: 12

Code:
[highlight]ALIVE[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
190   Mercury        Amazon      Mursilis           71     A5 NM  Frozen Tundra
151   Nerullan       Necromancer Sir Lister of Smeg 57     A3 NM  Kurast Docks
130   No_Sushi       Sorceress   Grisu              52     A2 NM  Lut Gholein
120   BrassMonkey    Paladin     waflob             48     A1 NM  Rogue Camp
119   DeltaO         Amazon      Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
119   HoldYourColour Assassin    Tartanasia         43     A1 NM  Rogue Land 
112   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1 NM  Cold Plains
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
105   OneTrackSkunk  Necro       Skunkbelly         46     A1 NM  Stony Field
 99   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           47     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 53   PosadnutaAma   Amazon      Kugel              20     A3     Kurast Docks
 50   VitaForTheWeak Amazon      Zarfen             20     A3     Flayer dungeon 
 44   Zkeletal       Necromancer Blindandstoopid    25     A3     Kurast Docks
 43   TiredArms      Barbarian   Gabriel74          23     A2     Far Oasis?
 38   Bearly_Skilled Druid       Saucy              24     A2     Canyon  
 38   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          26     A2     canyon of the magi
 32   Rotsachat      Assassin    Sir Lister of Smeg 20     A2     Lut Gholein
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead
 22   Undertow       Necro       Spatacula          19     A2     Lut Gholein 
 22   OneTwoThrow    Barbarian   waflob             20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Lightning_Monk Paladin     Grisu              21     A2     Lut Gholein
 16   Obsessive      Assassin    OneFromBeyond      16     A1     Outer Cloister
 15   LiliVon        Sorceress   TrubbaNot          18     A1     Jail lvl 1    
 10   Sophia         Sorceress   Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Cold_Death     Necro       Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
  4   Sir_Fire       Paladin     Wolron              6     A1     Cold Plains
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin    JoeBruce            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Infraction     Paladin     PsychoPath          1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Bear_Lightning Druid       Wolron              1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Poison_Ivy     Assassin    Wolron              1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Strength the P Paladin     Gabriel74           1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Wraith         Assassin    Mursilis            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Poison_Dexter  Necromancer Grisu             1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Grisu             1       A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Lightning_SonyaAssassin     Grisu             1     A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Grisu             1     A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Poison_Haggis  Barbarian   Grisu             1       A1      Rogue Camp

[highlight]DEAD/RETIRED[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
180   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           60     A4 NM  Pand. Fortress
 70   Obsession      Paladin     Ilshad             32     A4     River of Flame
 59   OCD            Paladin     pwangsta           30     A3     Durance L2
 32   FoulKrack      Amazon      Saucy              20     A2     Lost City
 25   Conny          Paladin     Docturnal          19     A2     Sewers lvl 2
 23   Ungar          Barbarian   pwangsta           19     A2     Sewers L2 
 22   Scorn          Druid       Spatacula          20     A2     Lut Gholein
 19   ObsessDeeds    Amazon      EJB                19     A1     Cat LvL 2
 14   StaticBabe     Sorceress   Quickdeath         17     A1     Outer Cloister
 14   Ugh            Barbarian   Sir Lister of Smeg 16     A1     Outer Cloister

[highlight]OBSESSIONS[/highlight]
[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
Bear_Lightning Druid     Lightning Vitality   Molton Bould Summon Grizzly
Bearly_Skilled Druid     Lightning Strength   Wearbear  
BrassMonkey    Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Zeal
Clean_Hands    Assassin  Lightning Vitality   Claw Mastery 
Clobber        Barb      Fire      Vitality   Mace Mast    Berzerk     ?   
Cold_Death     Necro     Cold      Vitality   Amplify Dmg  Bone Spear
Conny          Paladin   Cold      Vitality   Holy Freeze
DeltaO         Amazon    Cold      Vitality   Jab          Straf       Valkyrie     
Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Fire       Strength   Shockwave    Armageddon
FoulKrack      Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Magic Arrow    
Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Penetrate   Lightning Fury
HiLife         Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Valkyrie
HoldYourColour Assassin  Cold      Vitality   BOS          Blade Fury  ?    
Infraction     Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Charge
Karmesha       Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Valkyrie     -           -  
Lightning_SonyaAssassin  Lightning Strength   Tiger Strike 
Lightning_Monk Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Concentration
LiliVon        Sorceress Fire      Vitality   Blaze        -           -
mad_hatter     Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Plague Jav  -
Mercury        Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Plague Jav   Valkyrie
Ned            Paladin   Fire      Strength   Charge
Nerullan       Necro     Poison    Vitality   Raise Skel   Decrepify   ?
No_Sushi       Sorceress Cold      Vitality   Firewall     Frozen Orb
ObsessDeeds    Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Multishot    -           -
Obsessive      Assassin  Lightning Vitality   Dragon Talon ?           ?
Obsession      Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Zeal         Fant        ?
OCD            Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Holy Shock   ?           ? 
OneTrackSkunk  Necro     Poison    Dexterity  Skeletal Mage
OneTwoThrow    Barbarian Cold      Dexterity  Double Throw  
Paul           Druid     Lightning Vitality   Oak Sage
Poison_Dexter  Necro     Poison       Vitality   Corpse Expl  
Poison_Haggis  Barbarian Posion    Dexterity  Throw Master Grim Ward   Double Throw
Poison_Ivy     Assassin  Vitality  Poison     Tiger Strike Shadow Master
Poladnutama    Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Magic Arrow  Plague Javelin
Rotsachat      Assassin  Lightning Strength   Tiger Strike
Scorn          Druid     Fire      Strength   Werewolf
Sir_Fire       Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Res Lgting   Holy Shock  Fist of Heavens
Sophia         Sorceress Poison    Vitality   Static Field Blizzard
StaticBabe     Sorceress Lightning Vitality   Static Field
Tiredarms      Barbarian Lightning Strength   Double Swing
Ugh            Barbarian Fire      Strength   Mace Mastery
Undertow       Necro     Fire      Vitality   Iron Maiden
Unger          Barbarian Lightning Strength   Sword Mastery
VitaForTheWea  Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Magic Arrow  Valkyrie    -
Zkeletal       Necro     Poison    Vitality   Raise Skeleton
Strength the P Paladin   Lightning Strength   Resist Fire
Wraith         Assassin  Poison    Strength   Cloak of Shadows

Grisu said:
I would be glad if someone could offer me some information about 2 things, because I don't have much experience with Assassins and Necros:

1. Necro: Since I'll do a fishymancer w/o Attract and only one out of the 2 skills Amplify Damage and Decrepify, what would you think is better as an obsession? Normally I'd say AD, but against bosses and for safety Decrepify seems better. Sir Lister chose Decrepify - I wonder how it works, though?...hmmm...not yet decided.

2. As an Assassin with a Strength obsession, should I use a Shadow Master as a tank or rather Cloak of Shadows to finish off monsters one by one? I guess it's the same problem as above: SM is better against bosses, since I'll be quite fragile, CoS is better against crowds...
Well, decrepify is better in a regular game. However, I chose Amplify Damage in this game. I will max it out at the end of Act 1. If I had chosen decrepify, it would have taken until about level 45 (middle of act 5) to max it out. I would have like to try Life Tap, but that is almost as difficult to max out as decrepify. After I max out my AD, I will start on the unending job of maxing out bone spear. But, at least bone spear will be usable in Act 2 and on.

For the Assassin, I prefer the Shadow Master. CoS is good, but I don't see it as being as useful all by itself as Shadow Master. Of course, it does have the advantage of being only level 6 and having no prerequisites. Decisions, decisions, will it never end?

cleared the canyon, and three false tombs, so now it'll be running to the rest of the tombs... i think i might actually reach level 29 before act 3:shocked: that means most of act 3 I'll have a valk! :laugh: I did have a NDE though, i rushed in a chamber full of undead and scarabs, and couldn't move, when i finally could run out, i had ~30 hp left! I didn't try to kill things around me though, i tryed opening a tp, but with d/a/e that was really hard... i was really glad when my merc killed the last enemy between me and the tp i had opened by then :p of course i made an immidiate change in strategy, now i run in a chamber, and run out as fast as i can, and then... Divide and concur(sp?)
@wolron, you maxed amplefy damage purely for your merc? If I would go for bone skills, I'd have chosen Dim Vision, as that keeps you safe, and gives you other merc possibilities(i personaly like act1 fire...).
~moiselvus

Code:
119   DeltaO         Amazon      Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 99   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           47     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 38   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          27     A2     canyon of the magi
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead

180   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           60     A4 NM  Pand. Fortress

[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Penetrate   Lightning Fury
Poison_Haggis  Barbarian Posion    Dexterity  Throw Master Grim Ward   Double Throw
Sir_Fire       Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Res Lgting   Holy Shock  Fist of Heavens

Here are some of my ideas for other candidates for my failed obsessive septavirate:
Amazon
att:dex/str/vit
ele:any
skill1:jab/impale
skill2:guided arrow
skill3:valkyrie
Or valk straight away, and using penetrate to actually be able to hit something.

Druid
att:str/vit
skill1: shockwave
skill2: grizzly
skill3: armageddon
Or a different order for the last two, and possibly a different elemental skill.
Is shockwave's stunlength dependent on difficulty?
Can I use wearbear even before I get shockwave? (I know it's allowed to change shape in order to be able to use the obsession skill, what before one can access the obsession skill?)

Sorceress
att:vit/str
skill1: teleport or static field
skill2: warmth, enchant, fire wall, or hydra (or blaze or inferno)
skill3: one of the armours, frozen orb or blizzard

And here are some of my paladin ideas, I'll probably go with the hammerdin since it's the least item dependent:

Paladin1 (hammerdin)
skill1:blessed aim
skill2:blessed hammer
skill3:vigor

Paladin2 (fire ranger)
att:dex/str
ele:fire
skill1:res fire
skill2:holy fire (syn: resist fire, salvation)
skill3:not a clue, maybe zeal since dex will be too low for equipping bows in hell

Paladin3 (masochist)
att:vit
ele:poison
skill1:sacrifice (syn: redemption, fanaticism)
skill2:thorns
skill3:cleansing/redemption
Might need a different order.

Paladin4 (charger)
skill1:might
skill2:charge
skill3:vigor

Paladin5 (avenger)
att: vit/str
ele: any
skill1: conviction
skill2: salvation
skill3: vengeance

Since I want to start another one now, and the druid is the only one for whom I'm sure about the first skill, I'll start him, and hopefully can decide on the next one by the time he has either maxed his first obsession or has died.
Since none of my characters took cold as elemental obsession, that is what he'll use. I won't use similar reasoning for the stat obsession though, and go with vitality. His first skill obsession will be shockwave, and I'm seriously considering using an elemental skill as second one, but we'll see, it will probably not be an issue due to death beforehand. His name shall be Cold_Armageddon.

Code:
 38   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          27     A2     canyon of the magi
  1   Cold_Armageddon Druid      Sir Lister of Smeg  1     A1     Rogue Encampment

Cold_Armageddon Druid    Cold      Vitality   Shock Wave

I have to correct my ama: Of course I meant "Pierce" as 2nd obsession and not "Penetrate"...I always mix 'em up...

Code:
  1   Cold_Armageddon Druid      Sir Lister of Smeg  1     A1     Rogue Encampment

Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Pierce      Lightning Fury

Deeds... again. As soon as I started the char I realized that before I got some good gear Id be in trouble and I was.
Now for the next try ;)
Lightning_Chan, Assassin, Vitality, Lightning, Lightning Sentry

Code:
  1   Lightning_Chan  Assassin   Docturnal           1     A1     Rogue camp

14   Fire_chan      Sorc        Docturnal          18     A1     Outer cloister

Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Pierce      Lightning Fury

In regards to the necro questions that were previously posted. I chose the atypical route of maxing out iron maiden. Yeah I realize that phyisical immunes will give me some problems later on, but after looking into it I decided that this will be my first obession. Fully maxed it will return ~675% damage for every hit taken, and can be maxed at around Act 3. So far it has worked wonders. Was kind of detered from using the other curse skills due to extra points only adding duration and radius. Using my act 2 merc as my tank, I cast IM and let him run into a pack of minions and watch as he kills and takes the hits, basically finishing off and weakening the others. If there are any straglers, I can easily finish them off. Don't know how far I will make it with this strategy, but I am hoping after I get my skelies up and running they will be my walking punching bags. Definately went the vita route, to avoid a one hit deed. So far all is well. On a side note, my update got screwed up on the table, but no big deal I will fix it when I finish Act 3.

Spatacula said:
In regards to the necro questions that were previously posted. I chose the atypical route of maxing out iron maiden. Yeah I realize that phyisical immunes will give me some problems later on, but after looking into it I decided that this will be my first obession. Fully maxed it will return ~675% damage for every hit taken, and can be maxed at around Act 3. So far it has worked wonders. Was kind of detered from using the other curse skills due to extra points only adding duration and radius. Using my act 2 merc as my tank, I cast IM and let him run into a pack of minions and watch as he kills and takes the hits, basically finishing off and weakening the others. If there are any straglers, I can easily finish them off. Don't know how far I will make it with this strategy, but I am hoping after I get my skelies up and running they will be my walking punching bags. Definately went the vita route, to avoid a one hit deed. So far all is well. On a side note, my update got screwed up on the table, but no big deal I will fix it when I finish Act 3.
haha you should do something crazy like max corpse explode next and then max clay golem. Your only problem then will be physical imunes. I was thinking earlier how most of the necros skills have to many syeneriges to be an effective athlete for this event.

Wow is this table getting long.

Alrighty, Mercury finally got the courage to face Baal. As always, the mercenary died within the first 30 seconds of the battle. However, the Valkyrie took charge and tanked both Baal and his clone, who made an almost permanent appearance, to take up the slack. It was an epic battle, by far the longest she's been in (not timed but guessing around 40 minutes). Dodging festering appendeges and frost/fire novas, ducking behind pillars whenever possible and throwing javalins with abandon. It was a grand old time. Baal did his best to eliminate our heroine, but all for naught. He was rather tricky to keep cloning himself however. The closest call, still not a NDE, was when both Baal and his clone teleported together next to Mercury and attacked (yikes!). Went down to about 1/4 life or so but drank a purple and ran away. Eventually the poison won out and Baal forfieted the match, and his life. Of course, nothing useful dropped.
Up to this point all bosses and areas run at /p8 with the sole exception of the Ancients, which was run at /p1 (yes I wimped out). Apparently this didn't really help much as Merury doesn't have a single item to take with her to Hell, excluding the jewelry of course. No NDEs in any Act for either level, but the killing speed is definitely slowing down. Half of Act V was Mercury watching the mercenary and valkyrie kill the monsters, as they were poison immune.

Anyway...

Equipment:
Code:
Amber Sharkskin Boots of Remedy
Defense: 33
Durability: 14 of 14
Kick Damage: 28 to 50
Required Strength: 47
Required Level: 25
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0x9e572fd1
Lightning Resist +36%
Poison Length Reduced by 25%

Artisan's Cuirass of Health
'ThulTal'
Defense: 191
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Strength: 65
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0x4818a0f
Damage Reduced by 1
Lightning Resist +7%
Cold Resist +30%
Poison Resist +30%
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Coral Demonhide Gloves of Remedy
Defense: 31
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 21
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0xb53f9b0d
Lightning Resist +25%

Coral Ring of Dexterity
Required Level: 13
Item Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x826ec78a
+2 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +26%

Gemmed Scutum
Defense: 56
Chance to Block:  34%
Smite Damage: 11 to 15
Durability: 62 of 62
Required Strength: 71
Item Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x7dab3da0
Fire Resist +54%
Lightning Resist +14%
Cold Resist +14%
Poison Resist +14%
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Lore
War Hat
'OrtSol'
Defense: 50
Required Level: 27
Item Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x12e99a0a
+10 to Energy
Damage Reduced by 7
Lightning Resist +30%
+2 to Light Radius
+1 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Mercury's Loath Bolt
War Javelin
Throw Damage: 20 to 36
One-Hand Damage: 12 to 23
Quantity: 60
Required Dexterity: 25
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 26
Javelin Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 43
Fingerprint: 0x720e3307
+6 to Minimum Damage
+4 to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +16%
+21 poison damage over 4 seconds
+1 to Amazon Skill Levels
Required Level +5

Scintillating Amulet of Holy Bolt
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0x45532717
All Resistances +15
Level 3 Holy Bolt (27/27 Charges)

Shimmering Ring of Might
Required Level: 37
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0xb43ac012
+3 to Strength
All Resistances +5

Tangerine Demonhide Sash of Remedy
Defense: 34
Required Level: 24
Item Level: 56
Fingerprint: 0x2d724287
Lightning Resist +10%

On Switch:
Tangerine Defender
Defense: 47
Chance to Block:  30%
Smite Damage: 8 to 12
Durability: 68 of 68
Required Strength: 38
Required Level: 22
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0x73abfafb
Lightning Resist +5%

Tangerine War Javelin
Throw Damage: 14 to 32
One-Hand Damage: 6 to 19
Quantity: 60
Required Dexterity: 25
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 18
Javelin Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x4086d67f
Lightning Resist +10%

Mercenary:
Code:
Savage Partizan of Shock
Two-Hand Damage: 56 to 124
Durability: 43 of 65
Required Dexterity: 67
Required Strength: 113
Required Level: 23
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 57
Fingerprint: 0x2ec933d
+66% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-7 lightning damage

Naj's Circlet
Circlet
Defense: 96
Durability: 27 of 35
Required Level: 28
Item Level: 44
Fingerprint: 0x835628b8
+15 to Strength
+75 Defense
Adds 25-35 fire damage
+5 to Light Radius
12% Chance to cast Level 5 Chain Lightning when struck

Coral Chaos Armor of Dexterity
Defense: 316
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Strength: 140
Item Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0xe63229f9
+2 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +22%

Character Stats
Strength - 68(71)
Dexterity - 29(36)
Vitality - 316(316)
Energy - 15(25)

Life - 1138
Mana - 139

Fire - 63
Cold - 56
Lightning - 75
Poison - 48

Score
79 Waypoints: 79
54 Quests: 108
Obsesssion Maxed (Plague Javalin): 10
All equipment slots filled at end of Normal: 5
All equipment slots filled at end of NM: 5
Total Score is 207

Code:
207   Mercury        Amazon      Mursilis           74     A1 H   Rogue Camp

Mursilis said:
Wow is this table getting long.

Alrighty, Mercury finally got the courage to face Baal. As always, the mercenary died within the first 30 seconds of the battle. However, the Valkyrie took charge and tanked both Baal and his clone, who made an almost permanent appearance, to take up the slack. It was an epic battle, by far the longest she's been in (not timed but guessing around 40 minutes). Dodging festering appendeges and frost/fire novas, ducking behind pillars whenever possible and throwing javalins with abandon. It was a grand old time. Baal did his best to eliminate our heroine, but all for naught. He was rather tricky to keep cloning himself however. The closest call, still not a NDE, was when both Baal and his clone teleported together next to Mercury and attacked (yikes!). Went down to about 1/4 life or so but drank a purple and ran away. Eventually the poison won out and Baal forfieted the match, and his life. Of course, nothing useful dropped.
Up to this point all bosses and areas run at /p8 with the sole exception of the Ancients, which was run at /p1 (yes I wimped out). Apparently this didn't really help much as Merury doesn't have a single item to take with her to Hell, excluding the jewelry of course. No NDEs in any Act for either level, but the killing speed is definitely slowing down. Half of Act V was Mercury watching the mercenary and valkyrie kill the monsters, as they were poison immune.
Great job on the conqueror. I'm surprised you don't even have any charms you can use, or did you just not list them? Will you be able to use any kind of elite javelin in hell? Maybe only ethereal versions, in which case you'll need to rely solely on your valk apart from specific instants where you do really have the need to poison the critters. Good luck finding an exceptional unique, okay that comes down to only Titan's Revenge, for which you don't have the dex. Well, at least it shouldn't be too hard to buy other equipment you can use so you'll have at least some defense, your strength does seem high enough for the low end unique armour components.

Oh, and I notice that the normal barracks are the most dangerous place so far, claiming three deaths. (I assume both Staticbabe and FireChan died there as well, Ugh did)

Congrats on getting to hell Mursilis. Equipment there is going to be a real issue. I think you will be relying on the valk a lot.

Act 1 NM finished. I really hate fallen shaman. I had to resummon the valk several times each session till I got one with cold damage. Even then it was painfully slow to clear them out. Did all except Andy on P8. I did her on P1. She does some nasty poison the valk died from it twice I didn't think it was that bad. Drops were 2 rubbish rares and 3 gems.

Score
Nomal : 98
NM
9 Waypoints: 9
6 Quests: 12
All equipment slots filled at end of Normal: 5
Total Score is 124

Code:
124   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           50     A2 NM  Lut Gholein

Thanks! Oh I have some charms, I just didn't list them. Unfortunately no I won't be able to use an elite javalin so yes I'll be relying on my valkyrie and mercenary to kill everything. Which I guess isn't terrible since the valkyrie does twice the damage my mercenary does with his weapon, now he's weaponless so it should be more pronounced. Ought to be interesting to say the least...I'm going to feel like a summoner :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how possible it is to gamble an elite item (for example a belt) from Gheed. Think I have a chance?

Edit: I do have a skystrike but with only at most 50 dexterity it seems rather useless to try and hit hell monsters with it. With a lot of perfect emeralds I may be able to reach 100 or so dexterity. That would mean, as you said Sir Lister, all I have to do is find an ethereal titans.

Sir Lister of Smeg said:
Druid
att:str/vit
skill1: shockwave
skill2: grizzly
skill3: armageddon
Or a different order for the last two, and possibly a different elemental skill.
Is shockwave's stunlength dependent on difficulty?
Can I use wearbear even before I get shockwave? (I know it's allowed to change shape in order to be able to use the obsession skill, what before one can access the obsession skill?)
I thought about the samte things, too.
Regarding Grizzly, I wouldn't use it (thought about it, actually), because then you would have let to do your grizzly all the killing, since you would need to invest 84 skillpoints before you can put points in Armageddon...and even at character level 99 the max would be a level 17 Armageddon with 1 pt in each synergy, resulting in
Damage: ** - 109 (ø98.5)
Fire damage: 447 - 553 (ø500.5)

Not that good...

If you chosse Armageddon as your 2nd skill you won't be able to even complete your 2nd obsession, though. If you want to max a 2nd obsession skill you should probably go with Fissure (Fully synergized lv20 1258-1316 dmg per field crossed, 2nd obsession completed after spending 83 skill points) or even Firestorm (fully synergized lv20 1099 - 1278 (ø1189) per second, although monsters stay only 0.75 sec in the fire IIRC, after lv20 the dmg increases dramatically - hard to accomplish untwinked:)

EDIT @ Mursilis: Congrats on making it through NM! Hoping for you to see a unique Ceremonial Javelin drop

EDITEDIT: Does anyone have suggestions on stat points distribution for my STR/FIRE/Shockwave/Armageddon-Druid? Make it a Titan and put everything into strength? Use a shield (max blocking almost isn't possible, since obsession is STR? Put 1 pt each level in VIT (only 2 pts Life per pt VIT..)? That is going to be a tough decision...

@Sir Lister: It will be funny to see how good your Druid will make it in comparison to mine, if you choose Armageddon, too. You having VIT as obsession and me having STR...I just thought about FIs and was like: "God, either outrun them or wait till my merc kills them...no way! I'll slay them!":wink3: I think I'll die first:)

Updating the "Wolron Team" progress. My seven obsessors have a combined score of 284 and all 7 of them have at least rescued Cain. I am trying to decide whether or not to develop the team together or to continue to move forward with Clobber and DeltaO who have entered NM difficulty. My current idea is to try to get all 7 into NM before pushing anyone forward. Then I will simply pick the one who seems to be strongest and move him/her through NM Act 1. If nothing else, I should be able to become really good at a particular ACT before I need to take the weaker characters through it. Actually, I will probably just get bored to tears with the repetition!:undecided:

Code:
124   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           50     A2 NM  Lut Gholein
 13   Bear_Lightning Druid       Wolron             16     A1     Black Marsh
 10   Sir_Fire       Paladin     Wolron              15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Poison_Ivy     Assassin    Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods

I'd love to give this tourney a go and the sept variant sounds very tempting.

I think I'll start with an Amazon.

Forum name: Dodgydave
Character Type: Amazon
Character Name: ObsessedZon
First Obsession Skill: Multishot
Elemental Obsession: Fire
Attribute Obsession: dexterity

The rules seem to have me slightly confused in places so I'll probably ask a lot of questions as I progress. Bear with me!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High