[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

Grisu said:
I thought about the samte things, too.
Regarding Grizzly, I wouldn't use it (thought about it, actually), because then you would have let to do your grizzly all the killing, since you would need to invest 84 skillpoints before you can put points in Armageddon...and even at character level 99 the max would be a level 17 Armageddon with 1 pt in each synergy, resulting in
Damage: ** - 109 (ø98.5)
Fire damage: 447 - 553 (ø500.5)

Not that good...

If you chosse Armageddon as your 2nd skill you won't be able to even complete your 2nd obsession, though. If you want to max a 2nd obsession skill you should probably go with Fissure (Fully synergized lv20 1258-1316 dmg per field crossed, 2nd obsession completed after spending 83 skill points) or even Firestorm (fully synergized lv20 1099 - 1278 (ø1189) per second, although monsters stay only 0.75 sec in the fire IIRC, after lv20 the dmg increases dramatically - hard to accomplish untwinked:)

EDIT @ Mursilis: Congrats on making it through NM! Hoping for you to see a unique Ceremonial Javelin drop

EDITEDIT: Does anyone have suggestions on stat points distribution for my STR/FIRE/Shockwave/Armageddon-Druid? Make it a Titan and put everything into strength? Use a shield (max blocking almost isn't possible, since obsession is STR? Put 1 pt each level in VIT (only 2 pts Life per pt VIT..)? That is going to be a tough decision...

@Sir Lister: It will be funny to see how good your Druid will make it in comparison to mine, if you choose Armageddon, too. You having VIT as obsession and me having STR...I just thought about FIs and was like: "God, either outrun them or wait till my merc kills them...no way! I'll slay them!":wink3: I think I'll die first:)
I must say, I'm also more or less switched to Armageddon instead of grizzly, after doing the calculation and getting to the conclusion that if I'd go for the bear first, I'd get my first point in Armageddon only at level 83 or later (22 in shock wave + prerequisites, 62 in grizzly + synergies and prerequisites, 10 to get all prerequisites and the first point in armageddon totals 94 points, which is at the earliest, including all the skillpoint quest rewards for all difficulties, at level 83)

As to the strength against vitality, I must say I regretted my choice a bit so far, on the other hand, putting one point in strength every level worked quite well for my necromancer.

As for you, I think you can use a shield just for extra defense, you won't block most of the time, but the plain extra defense in addition to the ability to get high resists from a shield (you won't have problems equipping a four socketed shield because of your high strength) might certainly aid you. I'd definitely put one point in vitality every level though since you won't be able to get it from other sources (apart from rubies in armour and helm with a strength requirement). You might eventually find a few suitable element charms of life/sustenance/vitality, but don't count on it and you'll most likely not obtain enough gems for rerolling often enough.

But it will certainly be interesting to see how our druids fare compared to each other. If you didn't start him yet, you can still change the obsession if you want if you feel the strength route will likely lead to early deeds.

I did start mine yesterday clearing the den and reaching the cold plains, and will continue tomorrow, now it's too late for a long session, and the session will be long if it's to include Blood Raven, Stony Field, Underground Passage, Dark Wood, Tree, and Tristam with a possible extension to Black Marsh, Tower, Tamoe Highland and Outer Cloister depending on the map. I won't be doing full clears, but it will still take time and I'm already too tired and not wanting to get deeds even earlier than with Ugh.

I do want some advice on the amazon. The last obsession will be valkyrie regardless of any earlier obsessions. However, looking at gear I notice high strength and dexterity requirements for every elite bow, crossbow, javelin, and spear (including the amazon class weapons), meaning that I won't be able to equip a weapon allowing the use of javelin and/or bow skills in hell. Is there still a point putting any points (and thus maxing) in any of them? I'm thinking in obsessing in either strength or dexterity. I know putting points in jab, impale, or guided arrow (those are the ones I'm thinking about) will make my life easier in normal and nightmare, but is it worth it or would the stronger valkyrie be a better idea while eventually using a strength weapon to fight alongside and putting points in the penetrate synergie to valkyrie to be able to hit things?

Last edited:
zatlaren said:
If I was going to make an amazon that used bows and/or javs I would obsess dex then put points into str. It will leave you with dangerously low life but it will allow you to use the things you find plus with the valk you should be able to survive.
That's pretty much my plan. I've played a no vit zon in SC (which is of course a lot different) but with good use of a valk she can hopefully stay safe.

Last edited:
Dodgydave said:
I'd love to give this tourney a go and the sept variant sounds very tempting.

The rules seem to have me slightly confused in places so I'll probably ask a lot of questions as I progress. Bear with me!
The rules have been clarified as the game has progressed. I have been trying to get the attention of a moderator to have a new set of rules replace the first post in this thread, but there has been no response. Therefore, I am using this post to provide a new copy of the rules with all the clarifications.

Still feel free to ask questions.

Have you ever been obsessed with something (Diablo II perhaps)? An obsession can be overpowering. It can cause you to do things that you later regret. This tournament may become an obsession for you. No, strike that, this tournament is obsession. The basic idea is that you really have very little choice in what you do, except at the beginning when you select your obsessions. Here are the rules:

Your obsessions:
(1) At the beginning you select the character type that you are going to play. {Well, that is not so unusual!}

(2) Then you select a skill that you want to max out. You must put all points into:
- that skill (you must max it out)
- its prerequisites (only 1 point per prerequisite unless it is also a synergy!)
- its synergies (you must end up maxing out all synergies)
- the prerequisites of the synergies (Only 1 point per prerequisite unless it is also a synergy!).
NOTE: You can fill up your obsession skill and its synergies in any order. If you want, you can keep them all even by spreading the points over all of them. No restrictions at all. Except you can only use the obsession skill.
NOTE: You may find that you are putting a point (or points in the case of synergies) into Passive skills that are not your obsession skills. You will gain a wonderful benefit from that and it is perfectly correct to do so as long as those Passive skills are prerequisites or synergies of your obsession skill.

When your first obsession skill and all its synergies are maxed, you select a second skill to max out. Your second skill must be from a different skill tree. Again, you must put all points into either that skill or one of its prerequisites (only one point per prerequisite!), and then max all of its synergies.

When your second skill and all its synergies are maxed, you select a third skill to max out. Your third skill must be from the unused skill tree. Again, you must put all points into either that skill or one of its prerequisites (only one point per prerequisite!), and then max all of its synergies.

When that skill and all its synergies are maxed, you are free to use any other skill points that you acquire in any way that you want .

See the section on equipment to understand how skill obsessions impact your equipment.

(3) Then you select an attribute (Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, Energy). Every time you level up (or receive your reward of 5 points from Alkor in Kurast dock area), you must spend four of your five points in that attribute. The fifth point can go to any attribute of your choice. {even an obsession must have some limit!} See the section on equipment to understand how this impacts your equipment. NOTE: You can never change this obsession. It remains the same for the life of the character. NOTE: Remember, even though Strength and Dexterity might seem like risky obsessions (Vitality seems best for HC), it is fairly easy to find the word Strength or Dexterity on most items (requirements!). That might be enough of an advantage to try Strength or Dexterity as your obsession. Unfortunately, there is no redeeming reason for selecting Energy!

(4) Then you select an element (fire, cold, lightning or poison). See the section on equipment to understand how this impacts your equipment. NOTE: You can never change this obsession. It remains the same for the life of the character. NOTE: A word like FIREBOLT contains the word FIRE and would be enough to declare an item usable if your elemental obsession is FIRE.

More on Skills:

Remember, the only skills that you are allowed to assign to the left or right buttons are your obsession skills (maximum of three, and maybe only one or two depending on how you select your obsession skills) and the simple attack or throw skills. If some of your prerequisites or synergies are passive skills, they will be used at all times.

WARNING: Think long and hard about your three skill obsessions and the order in which you take them. This is one of the keys to the tournament!!
NOTE: The sorceress mastery skills are to be considered synergies for their respective skill trees. Therefore, if your sorceress obsesses on a cold spell, she must maximize Cold Mastery, as well as any other synergies, before going to a second obsession. There are five exceptions to this rule: Frozen Armor, Teleport, Energy Shield, Warmth, Static Field do not have the mastery as a synergy because they get no benefit from the mastery skill.

NOTE: The Druid shapeshifting skills require the use of the basic skill to get to the more advanced skill. Example: You want to obsess on Feral rage. To use feral rage, you would have to use werewolf even though it is not an obsession skill. This is allowed. You simply put one point in werewolf (prerequisite), and then max out feral rage. To use Feral Rage, you activate werewolf and then immediately change your skill button to Feral Rage. A similar exception would be made for werebear and the skills used by werebear (Maul for instance).

EQUIPMENT
You can acquire equipment by finding it in the field, buying it, gambling it or receiving it as a quest reward. However, you are only allowed to wear equipment, wield weapons, or carry charms that have a reference to one of your obsessions.
NOTE: You can use the starting gear that your character receives at the beginning of the game, but not the skills on it unless you have that as your first obsession skill. Example is the fire skill staff that the sorceress receives. You can wield the staff, but you cannot use the skill unless it is your obsession.
NOTE: You can carry keys, scrolls, tomes, potions. It is just the charms that are limited! They are limited because you are not allowed to enhance your other elementals or other attributes through them unless they meet the basic requirement of referring to one of your obsessions.
NOTE: You can use those throwing potions if you like. There are no restrictions on them.
NOTE: You can carry and save any runes/gems/jewels. You can sell items, buy items, gamble items. You can get healed. You can use your cube that you find in Act 2. You can carry your cube with you or leave it in your stash. You can pick up and use arrows or bolts. You... Well, you can do most anything that is not carefully disallowed in the rules.

Second, the vitality obsession must have the specific word "Vitality". Not life or life steal or.... Similar rule for Energy. Mana does not count. The word on the item must be "Energy".

There are three ways that a piece of equipment may be declared usable:
(1) For the elemental obsession, your elemental word (either fire, cold, lightning or poison) must appear in the description of the item. One exception is that items with “resist all†are always usable.
(2) For the attribute obsession, your attribute word (either strength, dexterity, vitality or energy) must appear in the description of the item. One exception is that items with “+ to all attributes†are always usable. NOTE: other related words like life, mana, etc. do not count. Only the one word that you choose can be used to declare an item usable due to the obsession attribute.
(3) For the skill obsessions, the exact skill must be on the item as a skill mod or a Chance to Cast (CTC). + to all skills is not good enough. + to all skills in a tree is not good enough. It must refer to the specific spell that you obsess on. Also, synergies of the obsessed skill do not count for declaring an item usable.
NOTE: Once you are wearing the item, all of its other capabilities are usable except skill mods. You still are limited to using only your three obsession skills.

In addition, when you get to NM difficulty, you are limited to the following item types for all equipment:
- Any Set Items with some reference to one of your obsessions.
- Any Unique Items with some reference to one of your obsessions.
- Exceptional Items with some reference to one of your obsessions.

Finally, if you get to Hell Difficulty, you are limited to Elite items and exceptional (or elite) set or unique items. Again, these items must have some reference to your elemental obsession.
NOTE: When you begin NM or HELL, you will probably have to discard a large portion of your gear unless you have been able to prepare your equipment ahead of time by finding the exceptional/elite equipment. But remember, set and unique items may still be usable and all jewelry is still usable.
NOTE: The ruling for the circlets and there upgraded versions is this:
Circlet - Normal
Coronet - Normal
Tiara - Exceptional
Diadem - Elite

SET ITEMS

You may find a set item that appears to be useless. Look closely at the possibility of getting set bonus mods. For instance, if you have a set item that will give you +10 to all resistances when a second set item is worn with it, save it and you may be able to wear it later. You are allowed to wear a set item that does not reference any of your obsessions as long as it provides an enhancement to another set item and allows you to wear that other set item. However, the item that does not reference your obsession cannot be used to qualify for the 5 point bonus that is explained in the scoring section of the rules.

Examples:
(1) I have Hsarus's boots and belt. The belt has +20 Cold (my elemental obsession), so I can wear it. However, the boots are not needed to get that +20 cold, so I cannot wear the boots. Too bad for me!

(2) I have Isenhart's armor and helm. Neither of these has my obsession mentioned, however, when I wear both of them, the helm gives me +8 resist all. Therefore, to feed by obsession, I can wear both of them even though the armor itself does not mention any of my obsessions.

Later, I may find Isenhart's shield or sword. If I recall, the shield also can get +8 resist all as long as there is at least one other Isenhart item worn. I should be able to use that shield, but then I would not need the armor any longer. The sword has no reference to any of my obsessions, so it will not be used in any case.

SOCKETING
It is perfectly allowable to socket an item with a gem or rune (or rune word) that results in an item that contains your elemental obsession. For instance, a Stealth Armor has +30 poison resist and would qualify if your obsession was Poison. Another example would be to use a chipped ruby in a weapon to get fire damage when your obsession is fire. If you have other available slots, they can be used for anything.
NOTE: To use a runeword item in NM, you would have to find a plain old socketed exceptional item (like a ghost armor) and apply the correct runes. "Presto" you have an item that you can use if it has reference to one of your obsessions. To use a runeword item in Hell, you would have to find a plain old socketed elite item (like a Dusk Shroud) and apply the correct runes. "Presto" you have an item that you can use if it has reference to one of your obsessions.

UPGRADES and CRAFTING
Rares and exceptional items can be upgraded. That could come in handy when going to NM or HELL because you could continue to use the items that you have by advancing them from normal to exceptional or from exceptional to elite.

Crafting recipes can be used if the resulting item has one of your obsessions on it.

MERCENARIES
Any mercenary may be used, but you are not allowed to revisit previous acts to change mercenaries. The mercenaries must also conform to your obsession as far as their equipment is concerned.

SCORING
One point for every way point that you activate (including the town way points).

Two points for every quest completed. A quest is completed when the quest screen shows it as grayed out and completed. If you forget to talk to Asheara, forget to embue, forget to socket, forget to personalize, etc. then you don’t get your two points because you are not allowed to go back and fix it. Not even the embue quest when you go back to the rogue camp to run the Cow level.

Five bonus points for completing a difficulty level wearing an equipment item in all slots (including the merc and the switch weapon!). An exception is the shield. If you do use a shield, it must conform to the requirements, but a shield is not needed to receive the five point bonus. NOTE: It is possible that you may be wearing a set item that does not reference one of your obsessions, but is only worn to obtain a partial or complete set bonus on some other item. In that case, you cannot claim the 5 point bonus. It is perfectly allowable to save other items that do qualify and use them to qualify for the 5 point bonus even though you actually do not use them in the game play. NOTE: this bonus is declared when you finish the difficulty level.

Ten bonus points if you complete a difficulty level having assigned all of your attribute points to your obsession attribute. That means that all five points would always be assigned to the single attribute of your obsession during all five acts of that difficulty level. {Note: you can collect this for NM without having collected it for normal difficulty}

Every time you max out an obsession skill (including all of its synergies), you receive 10 points. NOTE: this bonus is declared as soon as you max out the skill. That would be a good time to declare your next obsession skill!

Other basic rules:
1. HC only.
2. Version 1.10, 1.11 and 1.11b are permitted. The Rune Word Module may be used. The RMM may be used.
3. No Multi-Player permitted. No trading permitted.
4. You may play on any players setting you wish, and change that setting as you see fit. Please do NOT engage in cheesy “kill monsters on players 1, open chests on players 8†tactics.
5. You may not use the escape key to bail out of a rough battle. If you cannot run away or portal out, RIP.
6. ATMA is permitted to extend your stash, but no items may be used except items that you find in this tournament, buy at stores or gamble in this tournament. Also, you are not allowed to use ATMA to equip items that are otherwise unequipible due to strength/Dexterity/level requirements.
7. You do not have to solve all quests or activate all WPs. Of course, you won’t get the score points!
8. You are not allowed to rerun any areas. When you must quit and return later, do not abuse this necessity by picking up any items or opening any chests in the area that you may have to revisit to get to your previous stopping point. Kill whatever you must kill to stay alive!
9. You are not allowed to go back to previous acts or previous difficulty levels for any reason. NOTE: there is one exception. You can go back to the rogue camp in each difficulty level to play the Cow level. If you forgot to save Wirt’s leg, you can go to Tristram to get the leg, but don’t kill anything or pick up treasure other than the leg. On P1 that should not be too dangerous! Killing the cows gives you no score bonus, but you might find something useful. If you do find an item that helps you get your 5 point bonus for filling all your equipment slots, that is OK.
10. The tournament will begin immediately and continue until there are no posts for 30 days. At that point, the best score will be declared the winner.

Replays:

Replays are allowed, but you must select a new character type. That means that you are limited to 7 attempts. If you want to start a new character before retiring or death of the first character, go ahead. You can have all seven possible characters going at once if you like.

Signing Up:

To sign up, enter a post that looks something like this:

Forum name: Wolron
Character Type: Barbarian
Character Name: Clobber
First Obsession Skill: Mace Mastery
Elemental Obsession: Fire
Attribute Obsession: Vitality

Required Posts:
Provide an update at the end of each act that includes level and any choice tidbits of information on how things are going. Begin by replying to the last post with the table in it. Erase everything before the table’s "Code" (in brackets) command and everything after the /code (in brackets) command. Update the table with your new score and location. Then include your new information in front of the table. It might look like this:
Georgia has completed Act 4 and killed Diablo. She is playing on P8 and using her original weapon (a simple Javelin) because she has not found a spear or javelin with the required Cold element of her obsession. Her best find so far was a three socketed large shield that she put three perfect diamonds in to get +57 resist all. Her first obsession skill (Jab) is at level 20. Her second obsession skill (Valkyrie) is at level 8.

Score:
31 Way Points: 31
21 Quests: 42
1 Obsession Skills maxed out: 5
Total Score is 78
[then the table will appear here]

You must post to announce your second and third skill obsessions as soon as you finish (max out) the previous skill obsession and all its synergies.

When you die or retire, notify via a final update.

Last edited:
Cold_Armageddon rescued Cain and is not having the easiest of times. He just does too little damage with the superior spiked club socketed with a chipped sapphire and a chipped ruby that he's using atm and not having any skills. If he gets to act II things should improve a bit due to having a tanking merc. Still, I expect him to take of only after maxing shock wave, although shock wave will make life a bit easier from the start.

Cold_Armageddon
Quests:3
Waypoints: 4

Oh, and I've decided that Rotsachat's second obsession will be shadow master.

One question on the use of werebear (or werewolf for that matter):
I switch to wereform, then use (in my case) shock wave, then want to continue attacking normally. Do I have to switch back to human form immediately or can I stay in bearform? (And what if I don't want to switch to normal attack, but have to since I run out of mana?)

Code:
[highlight]ALIVE[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
207   Mercury        Amazon      Mursilis           74     A1 H   Rogue Camp
151   Nerullan       Necromancer Sir Lister of Smeg 57     A3 NM  Kurast Docks
130   No_Sushi       Sorceress   Grisu              52     A2 NM  Lut Gholein
124   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           50     A2 NM  Lut Gholein
120   BrassMonkey    Paladin     waflob             48     A1 NM  Rogue Camp
119   DeltaO         Amazon      Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
119   HoldYourColour Assassin    Tartanasia         43     A1 NM  Rogue Land 
112   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1 NM  Cold Plains
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
105   OneTrackSkunk  Necro       Skunkbelly         46     A1 NM  Stony Field
 53   PosadnutaAma   Amazon      Kugel              20     A3     Kurast Docks
 50   VitaForTheWeak Amazon      Zarfen             20     A3     Flayer dungeon 
 44   Zkeletal       Necromancer Blindandstoopid    25     A3     Kurast Docks
 43   TiredArms      Barbarian   Gabriel74          23     A2     Far Oasis?
 38   Bearly_Skilled Druid       Saucy              24     A2     Canyon  
 38   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          27     A2     canyon of the magi
 32   Rotsachat      Assassin    Sir Lister of Smeg 20     A2     Lut Gholein
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead
 22   Undertow       Necro       Spatacula          19     A2     Lut Gholein 
 22   OneTwoThrow    Barbarian   waflob             20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Lightning_Monk Paladin     Grisu              21     A2     Lut Gholein
 16   Obsessive      Assassin    OneFromBeyond      16     A1     Outer Cloister
 15   LiliVon        Sorceress   TrubbaNot          18     A1     Jail lvl 1    
 13   Bear_Lightning Druid       Wolron             16     A1     Black Marsh
 10   Sophia         Sorceress   Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Cold_Death     Necro       Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Sir_Fire       Paladin     Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Poison_Ivy     Assassin    Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Cold_Armageddon Druid      Sir Lister of Smeg 14     A1     Dark Wood
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin    JoeBruce            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Infraction     Paladin     PsychoPath          1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Strength the P Paladin     Gabriel74           1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Wraith         Assassin    Mursilis            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Poison_Dexter  Necromancer Grisu             1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Grisu             1       A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Lightning_SonyaAssassin     Grisu             1     A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Grisu             1     A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Poison_Haggis  Barbarian   Grisu             1       A1      Rogue Camp
  1   Lightning_Chan  Assassin   Docturnal           1     A1     Rogue camp

[highlight]DEAD/RETIRED[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
180   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           60     A4 NM  Pand. Fortress
 70   Obsession      Paladin     Ilshad             32     A4     River of Flame
 59   OCD            Paladin     pwangsta           30     A3     Durance L2
 32   FoulKrack      Amazon      Saucy              20     A2     Lost City
 25   Conny          Paladin     Docturnal          19     A2     Sewers lvl 2
 23   Ungar          Barbarian   pwangsta           19     A2     Sewers L2 
 22   Scorn          Druid       Spatacula          20     A2     Lut Gholein
 19   ObsessDeeds    Amazon      EJB                19     A1     Cat LvL 2
 14   StaticBabe     Sorceress   Quickdeath         17     A1     Outer Cloister
 14   Ugh            Barbarian   Sir Lister of Smeg 16     A1     Outer Cloister
 14   Fire_chan      Sorc        Docturnal          18     A1     Outer cloister

[highlight]OBSESSIONS[/highlight]
[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
Bear_Lightning Druid     Lightning Vitality   Molton Bould Summon Grizzly
Bearly_Skilled Druid     Lightning Strength   Wearbear  
BrassMonkey    Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Zeal
Clean_Hands    Assassin  Lightning Vitality   Claw Mastery 
Clobber        Barb      Fire      Vitality   Mace Mast    Berzerk     ?   
Cold_Armageddon Druid    Cold      Vitality   Shock Wave
Cold_Death     Necro     Cold      Vitality   Amplify Dmg  Bone Spear
Conny          Paladin   Cold      Vitality   Holy Freeze
DeltaO         Amazon    Cold      Vitality   Jab          Straf       Valkyrie     
Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Fire       Strength   Shockwave    Armageddon
FoulKrack      Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Magic Arrow    
Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Pierce      Lightning Fury
HiLife         Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Valkyrie
HoldYourColour Assassin  Cold      Vitality   BOS          Blade Fury  ?    
Infraction     Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Charge
Karmesha       Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Valkyrie     -           -  
Lightning_SonyaAssassin  Lightning Strength   Tiger Strike 
Lightning_Monk Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Concentration
LiliVon        Sorceress Fire      Vitality   Blaze        -           -
mad_hatter     Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Plague Jav  -
Mercury        Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Plague Jav   Valkyrie
Ned            Paladin   Fire      Strength   Charge
Nerullan       Necro     Poison    Vitality   Raise Skel   Decrepify   ?
No_Sushi       Sorceress Cold      Vitality   Firewall     Frozen Orb
ObsessDeeds    Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Multishot    -           -
Obsessive      Assassin  Lightning Vitality   Dragon Talon ?           ?
Obsession      Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Zeal         Fant        ?
OCD            Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Holy Shock   ?           ? 
OneTrackSkunk  Necro     Poison    Dexterity  Skeletal Mage
OneTwoThrow    Barbarian Cold      Dexterity  Double Throw  
Paul           Druid     Lightning Vitality   Oak Sage
Poison_Dexter  Necro     Poison       Vitality   Corpse Expl  
Poison_Haggis  Barbarian Posion    Dexterity  Throw Master Grim Ward   Double Throw
Poison_Ivy     Assassin  Vitality  Poison     Tiger Strike Shadow Master
Poladnutama    Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Magic Arrow  Plague Javelin
Rotsachat      Assassin  Lightning Strength   Tiger Strike Shadow Master
Scorn          Druid     Fire      Strength   Werewolf
Sir_Fire       Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Res Lgting   Holy Shock  Fist of Heavens
Sophia         Sorceress Poison    Vitality   Static Field Blizzard
StaticBabe     Sorceress Lightning Vitality   Static Field
Strength the P Paladin   Lightning Strength   Resist Fire
Tiredarms      Barbarian Lightning Strength   Double Swing
Ugh            Barbarian Fire      Strength   Mace Mastery
Undertow       Necro     Fire      Vitality   Iron Maiden
Unger          Barbarian Lightning Strength   Sword Mastery
VitaForTheWea  Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Magic Arrow  Valkyrie    -
Wraith         Assassin  Poison    Strength   Cloak of Shadows
Zkeletal       Necro     Poison    Vitality   Raise Skeleton

Fire_Stoibear made it through Act I. He had not yet a chance to use his first obsession skill, since it requires lv24 and he is only lv20. He was relying much on his merc, since his life is abyssal...hit&run seems to work, though. I'll try to get my defense as high as possible (Defiance merc is on the way) in order to live a bit longer:)
Had to visit town once while fighting Andariel because I ran out of potions. She dropped a bunch of rare items, but nothing useful. I found a Pelta Lunata earlier, which is great because it gives me an additional 20 life! That's about 15% of my base life:laugh:

Total Score: 22
10 WPs: 10
6 quests: 12

Meanwhile the other 4 of my sept have reached the Cold Plains and cleared the Den of Evil, what gives them a score of 4 each.
In total I have a sept score of 190.

I think I'll switch between the 7 chars once in a while...otherwise I might get a bit bored. Next thing is to get No_Sushi to Act III NM probably.

Code:
119   DeltaO         Amazon      Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 38   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          27     A2     canyon of the magi
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead
 22   Lightning_Monk Paladin     Grisu              20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Grisu            20     A2      Lut Gholein
 13   Bear_Lightning Druid       Wolron             16     A1     Black Marsh
 10   Sophia         Sorceress   Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Cold_Death     Necro       Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
 10   Poison_Ivy     Assassin    Wolron             15     A1     Dark Woods
  4   Poison_Dexter  Necromancer Grisu             7     A1     Cold Plains
  4   Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Grisu             7       A1      Cold Plains
  4   Lightning_SonyaAssassin     Grisu             7     A1      Cold Plains
  4   Poison_Haggis  Barbarian   Grisu             6       A1      Cold Plains
  1   Lightning_Chan Assassin    Docturnal           1     A1     Rogue camp

180   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           60     A4 NM  Pand. Fortress

[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
Haft_Strafe    Amazon     Lightning Dexterity  Strafe       Pierce      Lightning Fury
Poison_Haggis  Barbarian Posion    Dexterity  Throw Master Grim Ward   Double Throw
Rotsachat      Assassin  Lightning Strength   Tiger Strike
Sir_Fire       Paladin   Fire      Vitality   Res Lgting   Holy Shock  Fist of Heavens

Sir Lister of Smeg said:
One question on the use of werebear (or werewolf for that matter):
I switch to wereform, then use (in my case) shock wave, then want to continue attacking normally. Do I have to switch back to human form immediately or can I stay in bearform? (And what if I don't want to switch to normal attack, but have to since I run out of mana?)
Since you are not obsessing on it, the only allowed use of the wearbear (or wearwolf) skill is to get to use your shockwave skill (or whatever Shape shift skill you obsess on). Once you decide to (or have to) stop using shockwave, you must return to human form.

Last edited:
Team Wolron has made some progress. The total score for all seven is 349. The next task is to get Sir_Fire through act 1. After that, I guess it is act 2 for everybody.

Sophia (Sorc) has killed Andariel. She is still using only the static field skill and a modest bow. She can hardly wait to start developing Blizzard.
Score:
10 Waypoints: 10
6 Quests: 12
Total Score is 22

Cold_Death (Necro) has killed Andariel. He has maxed out Amplify Damage and has started on the prerequisites to bone spear.
Score:
1 obsession maxed out: 10
Total Score is 32

Bear_Lightning (Druid) has killed Andariel. Molton Boulder is reasonably effective and still being developed.
Score:
Total Score is 22

Posion_Ivy (Assassin) has killed Andariel. Tiger Strike is maxed out and she has started on the prerequisites to Shadow Master.
Score:
1 obsession maxed out: 10
Total Score is 32

Code:
 32   Poison_Ivy     Assassin    Wolron             20     A2     Lut Gholein
 32   Cold_Death     Necro       Wolron             20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Bear_Lightning Druid       Wolron             21     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Sophia         Sorceress   Wolron             20    A2     Lut Gholein

First off I have a question. Does anyone know if the cold iron wolf would be useful in hell against PIs or would the damage be too low to be of use?

Slow progress through Act 2. I resummoned the valk until I got one that did a cold attack. This helped somewhat with the unravelers packs. As expected the Halls of the Dead was a nightmare, no pun intented. It could take ages to shatter enough skeletons to allow access to the unraveler.

Maggot lair was not that hard valk took care of everthing easily enough. The real problem was the Claw Viper temple. It too was full off skeleton packs as well as the claw vipers. Managed to clear out some space and draw the packs away from their unraveler before killing them. This was a slow process. I managed to explore the whole place and find the stairs right at the end.

Level 2 was tricky. Started in and cleared a few then the valk got surrounded by fangskins pack and a ton of skeletons. I figured I could pull them back near the stairs and kill them there. That wasn't a great plan as it turned out as I ended up with about half of them standing right at the stairs. I would go down valk got a few hits in then I would need to head back up to heal. Merc died a couple of times. Eventually I managed to make a break from the stairs and out in the corridor a bit. Ran around with claw vipers chasing me with valk killed a couple. Had to run back up again. After this there was enough dead at the stairs I could stand there while the valk killed them all. After this it was just a process of mopping up.

1 great find was
Scintillating Amulet of the Ox
Required Level: 25
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0xf51b12e0
+8 to Strength
All Resistances +14

With my str being so low it really helped to allow more items to be equipped. Made a lore in a casque which I was 1 point short on str to equip but the amulet pushed me over the limit.

Lore
Casque
'OrtSol'
Defense: 71
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 59
Required Level: 27
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0xa9e6d29c
+10 to Energy
Damage Reduced by 7
Lightning Resist +30%
+2 to Light Radius
+1 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Score
Nomal Complete : 98
All equipment slots filled at end of Normal: 5
15 NM Waypoints : 15
8 NM Quests : 16
Total : 134

Code:
134   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           56     A2 NM  Lost City

So I killed Duriel, and it only costed me 4 juvs, lots of thawning pots, lots of healing pots, tp scrolls, and of course ~25min. gotta love p8, and guess what, no useful drop... (one chippie, while i used 5 cubing juvs) and no exp... but still, I'm level 28 and the bar is already at ~3/4, so level 30 shouldn't take too long anymore... but I'm not sure wheter I'm gointg to full clear the forest/jungle parts, Lk and further will be full cleared, but all those flayers?:shocked:

Score:
Wp's: 19*1=19
Quests: 12*2=24
Total :43
~moiselvus

Code:
134   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           56     A2 NM  Lost City
 43   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          28     A2     Kurast docks

zatlaren said:
First off I have a question. Does anyone know if the cold iron wolf would be useful in hell against PIs or would the damage be too low to be of use?
I used a cold iron wolf for my Amazon Guardian. Hell took a lot of patience. The Valk could not kill physicals, my Amazon had no weapon (weaponless tournament). So, the cold wolf had to kill all the physical immune. But it took quite a while. I finally had to wield some unique flying axes to kill Baal.

Thanks Wolron. I found a 4 socketted bow and put 1 of each damage gem in it so will keep the rogue for now but probably will switch before going to act 4.

The rest of act 2 was a cakewalk compared to the first part. The palace too no time bypassed almost all of it. Arcane sanctuary only needed to clear 2 arms. The luck I had with the true tomb in normal continued here. Rolled ghosts, bugs and gorebellies. Made clearing it really easy. Did Duriel on P1 but could have done it on P8 as the valk too no damage the entire fight. Before venturing into act 3 want back and cleared the canyon and did 2 more tombs (ones without unravelers) on P8. One of these turned out to be Ancient Kaas tomb. He was simple again no damage to the valk.

Score
Nomal Complete : 98
All equipment slots filled at end of Normal: 5
19 NM Waypoints : 19
12 NM Quests : 24
Total : 146

Code:
146   HiLife         Amazon      zatlaren           59     A3 NM  Kurast Docks

I have added a scoring table for the Septenary Obsession (One of each of the seven character types). It is a separate table at the end, because I imagine that it will be used by only a handful of us. I have included anyone that has scored a total of 100 or more points and have at least two characters in the tournament. I know that several of the people included in the table are not seriously involved in this idiocy, but their efforts deserve recognition anyway:thumbsup:

Code:
 22   Sophia         Sorceress   Wolron             20     A2     Lut Gholein

Code:
[b][U][I]SEPTENARY OBSESSION Standing[/I][/U][/b]
Score   Forum_Name         Amaz  Assa  Barb  Druid  Necro  Pala  Sorc
349    Wolron              119    32   112     22     32    10    22
208    Mursilis            207     1                    
207    Sir Lister'               32    14     10    151        
178    Grisu                  4     4     4     22      4    22   130
142    Waflob                     22                120

Fire_Stoibear has reached the Kurast Docks. For Duriel he needed 25 potions despite doing 110-170 damage with a rare Maul. I have to be quick with potions all the time, since some boss monsters can half my life bulb with one hit. Hope to get through normal alife...

Every slot is equipped but I could need a better weapon...

Total score: 43
19 WPs: 19
12 quests: 24

That makes me 2nd in the sept list. But not for long, I suppose...:undecided:

Code:
 43   Fire_Stoibear  Druid     Grisu            29     A3      Kurast

Code:
[highlight][b][U][I]SEPTENARY OBSESSION Standing[/I][/U][/b][/highlight]
[u]Score   Forum Name         Amaz  Assa  Barb  Druid  Necro  Pala  Sorc[/u]
211    Grisu                  4     4     4     43      4    22   130

Well Undertow has finally completed Act 3. Of course it was on players8 and everything went really smooth for the most part. After I found a nice magic pike for my merc, everything was smooth sailing.:cloud9: No problems with dolls, when they came at me, I took off and let my merc deal with it. I finally found some resist equipment and I could actually deal with elemental damage besides fire. Although have fire as an obsession was nice especially when dealing with the council. Only problem in that location was a large herd of unique (extra strong and cold enchanted) zealots and the like. It was terrible having two seperate uniques running at me. With the blizzard damage, lightning damage, and healing it made for a long battle with lots of pots being slurped.
Maxed iron maiden in the durance and was able to use raise skeleton. I had 10 skill points set aside to put some meat on my minions. They are still in need of some beefing but are nice to use as decoys for now. Mephesto was pretty easy to deal with even on P8. I had an army of skels, cast iron maiden and everyone gathered round for a nice beat down. Did have to go back to town twice to heal back up but no real problems.
On the other hand my luck with finding nice equipment is lacking in Act 3. I was hoping for a nice drop by Meph but I was once again disappointed. :hanky: Dropped several rare items but none were usable for my character. Also dropped Sanders Taboo but that is not really useful at the moment. So now I have a variety of different set items but none of the same set. I suppose that is a good thing because my odds of finding an item to match up with the ones I have are increasing....I guess.
So far all my equipment slots are full. This is what I am wearing

Imp Horn
Rare Skull Cap
Def. 8
+3 Energy
+15 AR
Fire Res. 8%
Light Res. 11%
Cold Res. 8%
+ 1 Light radius
Repairs Dura.

Rainbow Amulet
All Resist +9
Crimson Breast Plate
Def. 64
Fire Res. 8%

Death Grasp
Rare Chain Gloves
Def. 12
+2 Dex.
Fire Res. 12%
Light Res. 18%
+ 17% MF

Russet Belt of Might
Def. 5
+3 Str.
Fire Res. 15%

Eagle Spur
Rare Heavy Boots
Def. 10
Heal Stam. 25%
Fire Res. 7%
+ 24% MF

Wraith Grasp
Rare Ring
+1 Dex
+18 AR
Magic Dam. -1
Fire Res. 9%
39% extra gold
+1 mana after kill

Garnet Ring of Might
+3 Str.
Fire Res. 24%

Superior Preserved Head
Def. 6
+3 raise skel.
+1 skel. mast.

Rainbow Bone Shield of Blocking
Def. 20
+10% chance to block
all resist +10
15% faster block rate

Bladebone
Unique Double Axe
7-19 Dam.
+20 Def.
adds 8-12 fire dam.
20% Incr. to Attack Speed
100% Dam. to Undead
+40 AR to Undead

Cruel Bash
Rare Sabre
3-11 Dam.
+34 AR
Fire Res. 5%
Poison Res. 8%
5% Mana Stolen
10% incr. to Attack Speed

Merc is wielding a pike of flame, russet splint mail of thorns, and berserkers headgear.
I have a few charms but nothing of real worth just some more resists

Score:
25 Waypoints= 25 pts
18 Quests x2 = 36 pts
max Iron Maiden= 10 pts
Total= 71 pts

Code:
 71   Undertow       Necro       Spatacula          31     A4     Panda Fort 

Undertow       Necro     Fire      Vitality   Iron Maiden  Raise Skel

Code:
[b][U][I]SEPTENARY OBSESSION Standing[/I][/U][/b]
Score   Forum_Name         Amaz  Assa  Barb  Druid  Necro  Pala  Sorc
178    Grisu                  4     4     4     22      4    22   130

Just reposting the list, because Spatacula and I seemed to have edited the last one Wolron posted simultaneously...

Code:

Code:

Cold_Armageddon managed to beat Andariel. Since his killing speed was so low, I decided to switch to players 3 so it wouldn't take too many hours, but her no drop chance would still be reduced. That worked, it only took 20 minutes to half an hour or so with resurrecting the merc thrice. She dropped many yellow items, but the only thing I can actually use is the sapphire she dropped. In general he has been having quite bad luck finding items. His best find so far would probably be his first and so far only rune, a tal rune from the Countess. He found no set and unique items so far, no usable jewelry and has not managed to buy a second usable body armour (needed for the merc). He found one charm he could use, which was `double usable', both a prefix and a suffix which had cold in them. His current main weapon is a long bow socketed with a chipped sapphire, ruby, and topaz, which is planned to be switched for a long bow with better gems, but that will take a while. He's now going to switch mercs, since he needs the tank, in spite of the rogue not doing too bad. I don't know yet which merc it will be though.

Although it's not going very bad (he has managed to stay alive and even eventually kill things), I notice I should have gone for a different attribute/first skill obsession combination. Not having a skill and not having the strength to wield a better weapon makes for a horribly slow crawl (Inner Cloister to Lut Gholein took two and a half to three hours, while not attempting to do a full clear). I assume things will improve once he gets a skill, and they might even improve sooner, assuming he doesn't die yet.

Cold_Armageddon
Quests: 6
Waypoints: 10

Code:
 22   Cold_Armageddon Druid      Sir Lister of Smeg 19     A1     Lut Gholein

Code:
219    Sir Lister'               32    14     22    151        

A little progress with OTS... it's slow going. Still no hat or boots for NM, too, alas.

98 points for Normal plus:

NM Quests: 4 = 8 points
NM Waypoints: 5 = 5 points

Code:
111   OneTrackSkunk  Necro       Skunkbelly         47     A2 NM  Black Marsh
 22   Cold_Armageddon Druid      Sir Lister of Smeg 19     A1     Lut Gholein

Code: