1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Re: 1.07 News, Info and Gossip

From patch.txt.
Patch 1.13c
- Added new command line parameter '-nofixaspect' which allows users to
not fix the aspect ratio to 4:3 when maximizing in windowed mode.
This lets the game 'stretch' to fill your monitor.

Hi guys and girls, I've just joined the 1.07 party :thumbup:

I've read through the 1.07 guide and still have some questions if anyone can answer them for me.

Firstly I'm usually an avid fan of using chipped topaz to get some MF going early game. Does that have any effect at all in 1.07? Or are there definite MF breakpoints I need to reach?

The 1.07 runewords link leads to a missing page from the 1.07 guide. Can anyone tell me which runewords are available in 1.07 and which ones are worth making if I find the runes?

I've made a sorc since FO and cold mastery seem like an easy way to go and I'm comfortable playing a sorc. Are there any tips/tricks I should know about in 1.07?

Are there any particular items I should be looking for and keeping outside of the usual uniques/sets/nice rares? I've read about MPK rings, nice charms and a few other things but can't remember where or how to find them.

How do I run more than one instance of 1.07? I'd like to be able to get more than /p1 happening. That is of course if it's considered fair and legal etc.

Any other general advice is very much appreciated too! :cloud9:

Cold sorc with maxed Orb, Tele, Static, 5-10 in Cold mastery is the standard. Act 5 merc because they are the only ones with decent life regeneration (life leach doesnt work on mercs). A lower resist wand and a merc weapon with open wounds or PMH for when you run into a teleporting boss you have to kill will get you through hell. Oh yeah, mdr is calculated after resistances, so elemental immunity is easy. Watch out for magic damage though, nothing to help you there and I still think 1.07 sets you at -100% magic resistance in hell.

Early game mf'ing is non existant due to the way the formulas work. They are in the first page of the guide. You can check that the %'s magic find adds do not amoujt to a whole lot. For example, a normal unique has a 3.55% chance to drop a set item. With 150 mf, there is now a 3.71% chance to drop a set item. You are better off just killing things than loading up on chippies. The breakpoint for set items in normal with a unique/champion monster are 3372 / 5472 / 27872 for set / rare / unique items. Load up on sapphires for mana for once :) Too bad you want those for mpk.

The items are covered in depth in the guide and the guide addendum. You can check out Gaitwish's sept, but I think he has more advice on the characters than the guides.

You use the same d2gfx.dll as version 1.09, available on the phrozen keep, or from mattinms d2 switcher page. You would have to state it in your profile, but since 1.10 came out the fairness of it has been a much less heatly debated topic. I personally take normal at p8 to allow my characters to be a good level for nm. Nm is taken at p1 and still makes hell quite a struggle in my early - late 60s.

Spend time reading this thread. Realize that some things took some time to work out (i.e. turns out lvl 8 is best to roll MPK rings) but a lot of great insights from knowledgeable people are covered.

To add to the above, do not waste time with MF. Run bosses only to get certain FCR items that didnt drop (Wall of Eyeless, Mage Fists). Otherwise 1.07 is about racking (and crafting). LK is your friend and the source of nearly all coveted items.

Personally, I regret not spending time making out a wish list. Cant tell you how many Vambraces/Vampirebone racks I bypassed, or worse, blues left on ground. Refer to Wargs crafting guide for necessary items, paying close attention to those that are not shoppable.

As stated, LK is the focus. At P1, it is the best source of magic items to upgrade your gear. When running it, experiment with your racks to try to get at least one to drop something from your wish list. And be patient. Racking uniques can be a real drag, especially after that 25th green balrog skin drops (true story). I focused on racks around campfires just to ensure a steady stream of loot waiting for that coveted item to drop.

I keep saying it, but I am almost ready to move on. Waiting for that perfect eth katar or Um/Mal/Ist to put an exclamation point on a very productive couple months...

Last edited:

@Fyourics: That's for 1.13c and higher. I'm trying to make my window bigger for 1.07. I used to use the glidewrapper, but it stopped working after I uninstalled my D2 and reinstalled it on my SSD (it used to be on my HD)

Good thing a rare pair of boots dropped for me to id, I might have missed this nice rune.

I was just passing time, found out I could get a bone knife rack most of the time when the above happened. Probably not worth it because there are times where I will screw it up and get gothic sword a few times in a row, but I also got a gilded shield (not that I really want a hoz) and 6 chests to hit.

Nice rune! My best so far is probably either a Sol or Shae(Forget which is rarer:p).

Edit: After playing a while I came across this:

Prefix 869 Great Sword of Quickness
One-Hand Damage: 47 to 79
Two-Hand Damage: 98 to 165
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Dexterity: 60
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 38 <---It's actually lvl 43 req.
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x3ab093f3
+295% Enhanced Damage
40% Increased Attack Speed

Would that be a good weapon for a WW barb till Bul Katho's Colossus Blade? Pity it isn't an Exceptional, or Elite weapon.

Edit #2: Found a nice Russet Armor rack I can run in roughly 17 seconds, after about 300 runs this drops:

Skullder's Ire
Russet Armor
Defense: 732
Durability: 16 of 30
Required Strength: 97
Required Level: 42
Unidentified
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x7debfbc3
+30 to Vitality
+200% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 25
+1 to All Skill Levels
95% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (1.25 per Character Level)
Repairs 1 durability in 4 seconds

Last edited:

Hi guys, I've for a couple of questions.

First off, I am after a Gull Dagger to help get my MF up closer to the breakpoint. Would my chances be better if I were to just keep running Hell Andy/Meph, or if I were to gamble in Classic? From my understanding, I wouldn't need to be all that high of a level in classic to gamble for it, so I have no issues with making a new classic character to try my luck there.

Also on that note, I'm looking for advice on where else I can improve my MF. I am currently wearing 3 PTopaz helm, 4 PTopaz armour, 24% chance guards (yeah quite upsetting that it's not very high), 2x 25% MF rings, 28% MF amulet, 33% MF boots. No MF in other slots and I haven't found any MF charms yet. My merc is wearing a 3 PTopaz helm and 3Ptopaz armour, though I can switch it to a 4Ptopaz armour if I need to... but atm I am using the 3 soc one because it's better for his survivability, and the extra topaz isn't gonna help me break the MF breakpoint yet anyway. So looking for any alternate ideas on how else I could get to 556. Haven't had any luck finding the 25% MF set shield yet, whatever it's called. No Ists either... I had found a Vex while LKing which I now wish was an Ist :p

My other question was whether cow runs are worthwhile? The intention of running cows would be to look for Ists, and maybe hope for some uniques or other sets to drop along the way as well, since purely doing LK runs means that I can only look for certain uniques. My LK map atm has Balrog Skin and Battle Boots on the path I'm running. I don't necessarily need the Arkaine's, but seeing as I have the seed for it I guess I should run it till I get one anyway. The Battle Boots are def something I want though. But I really want to hit the breakpoint so that I can farm up gold jewellery in this version. My Meph and Andy runs have so far been yielding me nothing but rares at best, so was looking for alternative things to do until I can get to the breakpoint to make running them more worthwhile.

It's been a long time since I played 1.07, but it sounds like you could always try for a rack for gulls? When you're done with those racks You could try again in hell for the good maps OR a dagger rack, or go back to normal where there is less to choose from and run in the countess tower or something like that (assuming the daggers from those racks can be unique). Yo can get lucky and have a set of racks (or multiple racks?) per floor, so it may be a strange wa yto go about getting it.
In the meantime, azurewrath gives 10mf in that version IIRC, and the shield you're thinking of is milabrega's? But I think it's only 20 mf.
I don't know if there is a goldwrap, but tal's belt can be found (don't remember where I got mine) and that has something like 15-30 mf or something, I think.

If you want a better armour for MF and keep survivability, you can shop larzuk until he gives you a high def jewellers and if you're picky with + life on it, too.
I would assume that cow runs aren't worth looking for an ist and that LK would be faster, but I've enevr found anything above an io (po?) in 1.07. They give good exp, however.

I also remember that if you have about 400 mf (370 something?) you will get plenty of mavina's diadems and guillame's faces from hell council. So if you need some CB for bosses or something it's not a bad idea.

Hm, so racking would be more efficient than boss running for Gull? I ask because for the past 2 nights (about 10 hours total played time) I've been running the Balrog Skin rack and still haven't gotten a unique... have gotten 4 sets and a couple of eth ones. I've been running the Battle Boots one for a day (I only discovered it after a night of running the Balrog) and that has only yielded a set. So it seems like it can potentially take a really long time to ever find anything from racking.

Also regarding the Ists, I was going through the entire read (took me a few days, lol) and saw some people posting screenshots and reporting founding of Ists in Cows, as well as some sets and Uniques. So it made me wonder if it was worth doing... but I suppose in the time that it takes to clear cows, I probably could've done a hundred LK runs =\

Hm Tal's belt would be good. I'm using M'avina atm, so I think I'll probably need to hang onto that while doing LK racking, but when I switch to MFing that would be useful to have.

Seems quite hard imo to reach the 556 breakpoint without already being super lucky with drops prior to that. 14x PTopaz from armours, an assumption of 30 MF on each ring, amulet, boots and gloves works out to be 486. Adding Milabrega's would get it to 506. So it seems like u'd rely on getting lucky on Goldwrap, Tal's Belt (I guess Tal's Belt is reasonably farmable), Gull Dagger, Ist Runes, or godly rolls on MF magic items (rings etc).

Also I know it seems like I'm in a hurry to get to reach my goal. The reason is because I'd like to get as much done as I can before D3 comes out :p

Well, I remember I had just above or below 500 mf with my zealot (yeah, a melee char. . . this was about 5 years ago before I actually knew anything technical about the game, especially this terrifying version) and did lots of andy runs (or what felt like lots at the time) but I never saw a gull. I'm not sure why. I saw stuff like hands of broc all the time, so I was a bit confused. Gull in 1.07 only gives like 50 mf right? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. You can get to 45 (50?) mf on amulets in that version too, right? You could start gambling for those and rings. IIRC I was unlucky and only had like 40 on mine, but had a 30 and a 33 ring, I think.

I'm sure someone else who has actually farmed specifically for a gull before could tell you how to get one. Since I didn't know anything about 1.07 at the time that I played it, I'm sure there are some details I'm missing out.

mf charms will help greatly, so LK is the way to go for that. or you could just run whatever you want and collect charms that way.
pm me with your email address and I'll send you a goldwrap. I have a few left.

Oh that would be sweet. Thanks Kaerion! will send u a PM.

Yeah I think Gull is 50 MF. Or at least I know the classic one is. Still, not sure if there's any other weapon that has MF on it. I think u'd need to rely on a 5+ Ist weapon to get more MF than an Isted Gull.

I guess I can try gambling for higher MF rings/boots/etc

Last edited:

You will get mf items from the bosses before 556 mf, so that is how I got my Gull (50 mf) and Goldwrap (30 mf) before I hit 556. Of course finding Skulders in Act 3 nm and Act 2 Hell on your first two playthroughs help...

I wouldn't give up on the Balrog skin rack, 1000 runs * 16 sec a run = 4.5 hours. That is what I did for mine because I was going only for that. I prefer racking when I can keep the times down, and I am sure I found about 6 or so sets on the way. I also sold every single one I racked for gold to keep sanity. It was kinda fun knowing exactly how many runs I had done in that set since muling off gold by looking at my gold in the stash.

An ist would be nice, and I think the only logical place for it is in a Gull or Milebragas, so even if you found one you wouldn't have used it yet.

Andy and Meph stick to about the same base item drops, so it doesn't take long to get about all of what they can drop. I say that while Meph has been very stingy for me, I just got my first Goblin Toe last week. After I have went through hell with a javazon, barb, and druid who all would have loved them!

Gull is indeed 50MF in classic/1.07, you can also get Blade of Ali Baba (35MF)...my notes say it might come with sockets, but many items that are supposed to have sockets don't in 1.07...

While an unusual suggestion, its quite possible that racking a Gull (in Act 1 Normal) would be much faster than trying to get one by boss running or gambling in classic, though if you still needed a Goldwrap, its worth noting that it can be gambled in classic as well.

Milbrega's Orb has 20MF, and can be farmed fairly easily from hell uniques/champs with ~370+ MF

Note that you didn't get an unlucky roll on the chance guards...1.07 chance guards are set at 24MF. Magic/Rare/Crafted gloves can get 25MF, so can be better...

If you're rolling resistance rings as the ingredients drop, its quite possible to get a nice MF ring that way, with some added resistances as well (I got a 32FR/27CR/25MF ring from the fire res formula)

Its possible to craft lesser caster boots w/35MF at clvl41+... these could also get 40%res affixes and 20FRW at that level (and 40FRW at clvl79+!), and are pretty cheap, as crafts go (blue boots + Eld Rune + Amethyst (any quality) + jewel (the expensive part))

If you're using an act5 merc, remember to pickup and check blue barb helms, as these can get 3sox from Larzuk and can spawn with awesome survival mods (I use a 3xPtopaz Coral Rage Mask of the Whale (30LR/98life) on mine when I'm boss running)

If you have spare socket quests (say if you're HF running), then shopping for armors that can get 4sox and have good mods can also help survivability...

Unfortunately, MF on jewels and charms is nerfed in 1.07 (max MF on a charm is 4%, and the best MF jewel I've seen was Emerald/of Prosperity w/8%MF). I've had 2 Ists drop in 1.07, one was in hell cows, the other was in the Act5 ice caves...

To the person that was asking about classic items awhile back, classic items forwarded to 1.07 WILL get level reqs. They also get crazy high durability, for some reason....

WoRG

I feel tempted to open up 1.07 again in hardcore, but feel I may want to put it off a bit, since the version is so difficult to survive in. Then again I have too many other things going, anyway.

To the person that was asking about classic items awhile back, classic items forwarded to 1.07 WILL get level reqs. They also get crazy high durability, for some reason....

Classic uniques spawn with 5x durability.

Hm I think I have found just about every set drop except Milbrega's Orb, lol =( just gotta keep trying I guess

The Goldwrap helped me a lot actually. Started seeing some uniques finally. I found an Azurewrath off Andy, which surprisingly has 10 MF, so at least I now have MF in my weapon slot. I also found some MF charms, and Meph has been dropping mostly uniques now... though Andy's drops have been pretty sucky apart from the Azurewrath. Managed to get a Mara's and a Highlords as my best drops for the night, so I'm happy with that as I want some gear to outfit a future 1.09b and 1.10s character.

wow I did a crazy amount of boss runs and I've never gotten a maras and highlords. congrats! what do you intend to do in 1.09b?

Haha thanks, I was expecting the lowbie amulets and it was quite surprising to ID them and find it to be a maras, and then a highlords not long after. Perhaps it makes up for my 2k+ failed runs on the balrog skin -_- It's a little disappointing that Mara's is only +1 all skill, but hey... it's still a Mara's :p and it's not like I have one in 1.13d anyway, so it's still better.

1.09b is mostly for levelling, but I'll probably also be looking for runes there to then make beta RWs in 1.10s. I figure it's far easier to do it in 1.09b since I can just chain run cows easier, and with a higher player setting. Just need to craft a nice bow for a zon I think. I guess while I'm at it I can also farm for the cow set to move to 1.13d (the stats shouldnt be that different right?).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High