Moving on to HC

hackedagainanda1

Oct 2, 2006
I've been enjoying my untwinked HC chars so much I feel like its time for me to make the move.

Between all self found gear for the chars and edge of seat fighting with diablo I haven't enjoyed the game this much for quite a few years.

I don't want my gear to go to waste and I might be making a giveaway thread in the trade forum.

Fully decked out characters isn't as much fun anymore and I need to do something different to reinvigorate my enjoyment of D2.

I'll probably keep Sylvia my 99 Javazon and all her gear but the rest I simply don't want.

So this is my goodbye to SC and hello to (hopefully not) deeds land.

Does anyone else have stories or experiences of moving on to HC?

I tried a switch to HC a while back, even got a Guardian and a Destroyer, but I hated every minute of it. So I deleted all my HC characters other than my Guardian, gave away all my HC gear and I've never been back.

I'm keeping both.
  • My twinked SC characters for when I want to relax.
  • My untwinked HC tourney characters for when I want a challenge.

It's not like disk space is an issue...

Last edited:
I play both SC and HC, just as @ioupainmax I have different "goals"

I don't understand the whole "delete" thing. Every char I have made, even the "failed" ones, is some kind of legacy/memory thing, a lesson learned, chars I am proud of, and so on. I did delete all my single player stuff before I started to play Diablo III about 6-7 years ago. I really regret this, I was not even smart enough to do backups. So I "had to" restart Single player about 2 years ago.

When I switched to HC Jan 2012 (when I became more active on this forum) it was to challenge myself and partly as an excuse to restart. I died in the Blood Moor in hell (made me feel like I was 10 years old again lol) but kept with it mostly to MP with others. By the time I got to AT and ran my first MFO I was hooked.

Last edited:
SC was too boring for my taste. So after a few Pats/Mats I switched to HC and never looked back. The thrill is amazing. That said HC is not for everyone.

SC was too boring for my taste. So after a few Pats/Mats I switched to HC and never looked back. The thrill is amazing. That said HC is not for everyone.

If I only played HC, I would not be able to play when tired, sick, or drunk :p

I play both, but in D2 mostly SC. I very much like my untwinked 99er HC Paladin though, but I would probably do the same in SC.

It's a thin line really. I like the extra excitement from HC, but at the same time I don't have the time to play that I used to have, so dying and loosing stuff can be a bit of an issue. That's why I mainly focus on SC.

Then again there's quite some stuff I have never had, which many people here do or had in the past. For example I'm at grail -15 or so now, but haven't gotten near that in the past. Likewise there's still plenty of runewords I have never made. I can imagine people having had (almost) anything in the game in the past making the move to HC to make finds important and meaningful again.

If I only played HC, I would not be able to play when tired, sick, or drunk :p
I definitely have no issues playing neither sick nor tired. And most certainly I don't like playing when I'm drunk. I prefer FIFA for that :D

It's all a matter of habits and when playing SC for many years you acquire quite the number of bad ones. I know I did. And it took me awhile to get rid of them. The only reason to ever play SC for me is to PvP but I simply can't force myself into leveling a SC character. For now at least.

when 1.10 hit battle net, i switched to HC classic :>

in 1.09 i had some lvl33 amazon with Kuko Shakaku and 99% chance to pierce, stacked with FRW charms and dmg charms, and since guided arrow was working with pierce at the time, it was quite the powerhouse (though the hacked-item wave at the end of 1.09 changed that). on switch i had a weapon with 5% chance to cast amp dmg.

but when 1.10 hit, it turned around the entire game, both pvp and pvm. Enigma and some of the other new runewords basically ruined LoD for me, together with a bunch of other changes the patch had brought. obviously my lvl33 amazon was useless now that guided arrow + pierce was fixed.

dueling on Classic just didn't seem appealing at all, but i was still addicted to d2, so i figured i try HC (for the very first time!).
Haven't touched SC anymore since then. and though i have since played some LoD (single-player 1.07 and 1.09), i'm still not interested in 1.10+ :p

The thrill is amazing.

This x100. The rush of having to madly pound the Full Rejuvs in a tight situation, trying desperately to find a way out of a jam after seeing your life bubble dip sharply down, is what keeps me playing this wonderful game. :D

Keep some of your SC stuff and use it for the only thing SC is good for, PvP.

I definitely have no issues playing neither sick nor tired. And most certainly I don't like playing when I'm drunk. I prefer FIFA for that :D

It's all a matter of habits and when playing SC for many years you acquire quite the number of bad ones. I know I did. And it took me awhile to get rid of them. The only reason to ever play SC for me is to PvP but I simply can't force myself into leveling a SC character. For now at least.

Playing too much 18y old computer games is also a quite bad habit :D

Playing too much 18y old computer games is also a quite bad habit :D
What's bad about it? I, and lots of other people, have enjoyed far older other games, such as poker, contract bridge, chess, go, and far too many other and older games to mention, for far more than 18 years. :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High