This just in...

Re: This just in...

I've been looking at a few threads on the Diablo 3 forums on bnet, looks like its highly unlikely that there will be a single player mode.

Whats more, there's a lot of discussion about how the RMAH will have items for real money. Blizzard will get a cut from each sale. Gogo Chinese farmers, ahoy!

On a sidenote, I'm willing to put down real money that D3 will be the highest selling PC game of the year it's released in. Top 3 at the very least. And then they will feel fully justified for not including SP.

The more I read about it, the worse it seems. It really sounds like a WoW clone, having no stat point distribution, a max character level of 60 (wtf), equipment only having level requirements, achievements, and a limit of 10 characters per "account." And then there's the micro-transactions. For shame Blizzard, for shame.

A part of me just died reading this thread...
I don't know how I can miss buying it, yet I don't know how I could buy it now...

Everyone's already mentioned all of the problems with it, and it just looks like any other MMO, in no way deserving the right to be called the sequel to Diablo and Diablo II.

And what about all the modders? I'm personally not too much into that, but I know how awesome some of the mods are out there and how fun it can be to make and play 'em.

The more I hear about D3, the less I like it. Sure it will be a "success" but will there be people playing it as long after it's release as there are people playing D2?

I knew they would never capture the essence of D2 when I read some Blizzard idiot saying something along the lines of "There will be no weapon switch in D3 because when I played D2 I never used it."

The dev team is just appealing to the mass market. Unfortunately this community is a very small minority.

Oh well.

Insert the usual I live in australia, 700-1,100ms pings to blizzards servers, how the hell am I gunna play on battle.net comment.

Guess I'll have time to play another character to level 99 afterall.

Off course, if you do want to wait for a new game, there are other games up and coming that might spell a very Grim Dawn for blizzard.

The more I read about it, the worse it seems. It really sounds like a WoW clone, having no stat point distribution, a max character level of 60 (wtf), equipment only having level requirements, achievements, and a limit of 10 characters per "account." And then there's the micro-transactions. For shame Blizzard, for shame.

That seems to be the case, but I cant see why it should be all bad. WoW is after all a REALLY REALLY good game. If they make Diablo like it but keep the Diablo "feel" then its all for the better IMO. I dont get all the people saying they wont get more cents from them, when the game is released or shortly after, you will still buy it...

Well, I was concerned about what was going to happen to the SPF once D3 came out. Looks like it'll live on for after all.

It's all very well and good having internet only games, but if (like me) most of your home machines are wireless and the reception can be a bit variable (there are over 15 wlans in my immediate area at home, and with only 11 channels available it gets crowded) then only machines that are wired are worth playing on.

Still, Skyrim should be cracking. At least Bethesda are still churning out the good stuff *he hopes*.

/sigh

So much for D3... the leaked info has been slowly reducing my desire to play the finished product over the last few months, but now this recent set of illuminating tidbits have killed it off completely.

Stuff that - I don't want to play WoW with a different skin. And embracing 'items for cash' to get a handle on illicit trading and gold farming... oh come on! It's just a way to ease micro-transactions into the game and make even more cash from the player-base.

At this rate Torchlight 2 is going to be closer to the spirit of Diablo than D3 will be...

Agree with what pretty much everyone has said in this thread. A sad day indeed.

At this rate Torchlight 2 is going to be closer to the spirit of Diablo than D3 will be...

This.

And it's really not surprising, when you think about it... isn't Runic really what Blizzard North was back in the day? I think my real enthusiasm is with the Runic guys (who are the former D2 guys). I even hear that Torchlight 2 is getting pushed back for feature creep, so I'm optimistic this really will rise to D2 level of play.

images

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. Been waiting for this game for 10 years...how utterly disappointing.

It's a sad news, sure.

But my stance on this somewhat relaxed. The first time I purchased D2 was 2008. I don't think I'd have wanted to go through Classic -> LoD-> 1.10 changes, which turned the game upside down in many ways.

I figure if D3 is really good, then it will survive for a long time. Then I can buy it 2013-14 and enjoy it then. And if it isn't alive then, it wouldn't have been worth buying in the first place.

I have plenty of pending D2 projects. They're fun. Now at least I won't feel the need to rush with them.

The more I read about it, the worse it seems. It really sounds like a WoW clone, having no stat point distribution, a max character level of 60 (wtf)

I don't think that the 60 cap is that big a deal in and of its self. Its all a matter of how you get there. I do think it points to WoW like level cap increases with the expansions. Between that and the bnet only servers, D3 will also force players to buy expansions much more than previous versions.

I'm aware there must be a multitude of threads all over the place discussing D3, however last night was when I actually sat down and read about some of the "features" of the game.

The bottom line: if I want a game that is like WoW, I'd just go back to playing WoW. However, I quit playing it (9 months clean) for about as many reasons as there are threads discussing D3 right now :lol:

For me, I'd actually have to spend quite a bit on buying a new computer in order to run D3, and after what I've read, I'm not willing to do that. They're making it as much of a cash machine as they can, and thats whats ruining it. I had many, many problems with WoW for doing similar things. I never liked the idea of micro-transactions, paying a monthly fee for a video game, or being forced to do things which I don't define as fun.

As for the level cap, I read a blue post that stated (not verbatim) once you beat Hell difficulty, you'll be level 60. No need for level grinding. It could be viewed as good or bad, depending on the person. For me, it seems like a step back. D1 had level 50, D2 level 99, even before LoD came out. I guess part of their reasoning is in order to make future content challenging, they're going to have a level cap of 60, and, just like WoW, every expansion they release after will raise that cap by 10, until level 100, or whatever. That will also force people into buying expansions that want to go beyond level 60 and get more content. Just like WoW.

As for the level cap, I read a blue post that stated (not verbatim) once you beat Hell difficulty, you'll be level 60. No need for level grinding. It could be viewed as good or bad, depending on the person. For me, it seems like a step back.

If you (or anyone) comes across the source I would love to see it. Unless Hell was ridiculously difficult, that could really ruin it for me.

Wasn't the level cap in Diablo like 30?

Anyway, this might seem a bit naive, but I kind of buy the whole "better control the market ourselves to prevent risky third party alternatives" argument about the real money auction house. It is realy bad in online D2 with forum gold this and forum gold that. I think that ruins bnet play enough to justify a closed market like the one suggested. Besides, I will probably be playing hardcore if I decide to get into D3.

However, that is a pretty big if. The thing that realy breaks D3 for me is the lack of single player and LAN play. I know too little about the skills and stats system to make up my mind on how good or bad customization will be in the game.

I realy hope Torchlight 2 will be a wicked game.

Torchlight 1 was utter crap, why would 2 be better?

Because if it is wicked, there is less loss in not being able to play d3.
Btw, you were quite quick in shooting down what little hope I had left. ;)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High