This just in...

Nightfish

Aug 14, 2003
This just in...

I'm not sure if this is old news to everyone except me, but I just reads this for the first time:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185029p1.html

TL,DR: No offline option at all for D3. Even for single player you need to be online 24/7.

I've seen a lot more d3 news today, about RL money being spent on auction house items (wtf), etc, but this probably breaks the game for me. Aside from the obvious issues with lag in HC, D3 just isn't the kind of game I want to play online. It's the kind of game I want to play when I *don't* have the internets. If I'm playing online, I'm playing something competitive. D3 is the kinda game I want to have a relaxing single player experience in.

Re: This just in...

I noticed that the other day, and it's the main reason I cancelled my plans to pre-order D3. I want to play single player, I don't want the ability to trade with others on bnet, because that isn't single player... Effectively, there is no single player, it's just multiplayer except you make a private game. Pretty much.

I just heard about this today myself, and I am quite distraught about it. My thoughts are that if we as a community can band together and express our disdain, perhaps Blizzard can reverse/change this standing. Does anyone know if that is possible/how we would go about this?

Because I too like the home play, which both D1 and D2 excel at, I do not understand why Blizz wants to change D3 and have apparently forgotten their roots. It will lose a huge following.

I also realize it will gain a following by doing this; however, before anyone goes there, I'm not saying that they can't keep what they are setting up now, just that housing our SP characters on our own machine should be offered so that solo play without an internet connection would be available.

EDIT: And for those that are unaware, since joining this forum a few months ago, I still do not have internet at home. Obviously, I would be left out of the D3 wave, which is extremely frustrating, and not going to be the reason I get an internet connection again.

I read about that this morning. I actually considered posting a rant on the subject, as well as the complete lack of skill (except by rune), stat, and trait customization, but I figured I would wait until I could properly approach the issue with a calm demeanor. Alas, I think it will be a while before I can ponder these ridiculous design decisions without feeling either rage or despair. I think the following video sums up my current feelings best:

(Warning: Profane Language)
Click Here

While all of the nerfs to core gameplay mechanics annoy, I too feel that the removal offline SP is what truly eradicated my desire to purchase D3. I am extremely disappointed in Blizzard's handling of this product.

I imagine they do this so they can post advertisements up in game and try and sell us stuff or something of that nature? I'll probably still buy the game because a lot of my friends will want to play it with me online, but this type of stuff irks me. I didn't play SC2, but isn't it pretty much the same way there? They want to control the entire experience; no freedom allowed apparently, we have to be logged in so we can see and do only what they want us to :(

Well, guess why I didn't buy starcraft 2? Aside from the "trying to sell me the same game 3 times" bit...

The thing is, even though I am almost always online when I'm at home, I just don't want to play like this. One game I recently got had the same thing of "we keep your saves for you". Yea, guess what. My saves disappeared and "Sorry for the inconvenience but there is nothing we can do". Great guys. Just great. Screw that ****. If I lose my saves, can it please be my fault? And what about your servers going down? Can I please maybe play my ****ing singleplayer game ****ing offline? No? Well then you can not have my money. Not that they care but yea. I can at least do that much.

Although I like that you are thinking Virgi, and your passion, they are the ones making the game. Killing them will only delay the release of the game we are seeking.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, nearly all of the comments to that article are along the same lines as what we are saying here.

This just change D3 to an online game. Not that it matters to me but I can see some people getting irritated by it. As I said, it doesnt matter to me, but I will wait until release date to judge blizzard on this matter. Perhaps they will add an option or something so you dont have to be online.

This:

This flag they wave about protecting the online community is such propaganda. I don't like to try and draw a comparison to the patriot act being lauded as protecting the American people but it is close to the same ball park. They say this is to protect you even though it is to ensure they can control when you stop playing D3. After all they don't want you saving your money and playing this game for 11 years like D2. As soon as they start working on D4 they can pull the plug on the D3 server and you are dunzo. They've been doing it on Xbox Live games since it was released. As soon as a newer EA Sports title comes out a few years later you can't play your favorite game online anymore.

If they wanted to protect the online community it was as easy as creating offline exclusive characters. They know it, you know it, but we will all dance around arguing and calling each other names.

Not to mention this game will be chopped up and served on pirate websites either right before or shortly after the official release and someone will make a server spoof like they always do and allow you to play on unofficial servers with your friends. That's enough for me. I only play Diablo with people I know and trust in real life anyway. Playing with random nerd ragers on the internet is in no way interesting or entertaining to me.

In summary, I'm not a guy who downloads pirated games often but this will be one of them. I just counted 101 games on my steam library so I definitely do not fall into the cheapskate category. It is just the principality. You include bogus DRM you don't get paid. Simple as that.

10chars

As far as I know, SC2 requires an initial online activation, but offline play is still possible, albeit with several features deactivated. D3 requires constant internet access. Also, according to the deductive reasoning of others, D3 is designed entirely for the sake of Blizzard generating broker profits from the auction house; hence why the only remaining types of character customization are based on tradable items. Since offline SP is incapable of interacting with the auction house and providing Blizzard with additional revenue through microtransactions, it was likely deemed worthless. Blizzard is insisting that offline SP was removed for DRM protection, but that seems bogus.

I hope they do change something too, but at the moment, its not just the internet connection for authentication that's required, its closed bnet only. They've tried to sneak it in along with many other changes but they've completely eliminated SP.

Apparently the RWM runewords, uber diablo and the ubers weren't the real kick in the balls, they were just warmups.

Don't you guys worry, someone will crack it and make a single player version. The same thing happened during the SC2 beta, I'm sure someone will do it for D3.

I've been trying to pay as little attention as possible to the details of the game (I had a bad habit of spoiling games before they came out by overanalyzing them) but if it's true that they make it so that this real money auction house becomes an intricate part of the game, that might make even me spend my money elsewhere. I know that it's a business, but designing a game specifically to make people spend money on... that's just crap.

Don't you guys worry, someone will crack it and make a single player version. The same thing happened during the SC2 beta, I'm sure someone will do it for D3.

Not if the server controls the whole game. You'd have to remake the entire game from almost scratch then...

The introduction of skill runes seemed to imply a serious focus on build diversity. I was overjoyed when I read about their inclusion. D2 was pretty good about build diversity, but this was going to take things to a whole 'nother level...

...and now this. Everyone's character will have the exact same skill levels. What the hell?! Once I get a class to a high level, what reason would I have to make another of the same class? Respecs would cover what little customization we have left.

This BAFFLES and INFURIATES me.

I'm not even going to get into the complete lack of singleplayer...

Well, I've been waiting for D3 for a decade, and one day's worth of news completely killed my interest in the upcoming game.

Curious to see what hackers and modders can do to the game, but no I'm following through with my pre-order.

Pretty disappointing. Online only is distressing, but the fact that there's no character customization through stats or skills kind of feels like a slap in the face. They needn't have called this Diablo 3 after all - making a new entry in this series creates certain expectations about game play, so why not release this under some new moniker?

I've been wavering on the game for a while, and this has cemented my resolve. I will pass on Diablo 3.

But always look for the silver linings, right? This just means more time for Skyrim.

A part of me died when i read about this.

I have a feeling this game is going to fail :(.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High