Faster than a charging paladin! PVP Frenzy Barb

Shocker

Sep 26, 2008
Faster than a charging paladin! PVP Frenzy Barb

I've been experimenting with making a pvp viable frenzy barb lately. This is the current build I have and the only one that's had any measure of success. It's still being refined as I tweak things

here and there and is far from finished. This barb is pretty much a bvc, here's what I use.

Skill distribution
20pts into frenzy
20pts into double swing
20pts into battle orders
20pts into sword mastery
1pt into natural resist
1pt into faster walk/run speed
1pt into whirlwind
1pt into prereqs
rest into ... i don't know yet

gear----
enigma
ik boots
ik gloves
ik belt
dual frost ravens and cats eye (stick in angelics if you really need ar)
dual grief pb's
arreats helm

the speed boost to the barb is about
155% faster walk/run speed
45% increased attack speed
(195% if you want full speed gear using mavina's belt and a rare barb helm with 20% speed mods)
I've also got about 20 3% fwr charms in the inventory boosting the barbs speed up to 215%, I think I need more :scratchchin:

The point of the high amount of fwr is so that the frenzy barb can chase down opponents very easily. If you land a few hits of frenzy...you're in for a wild ride :thumbup:, the speed will take off to incredibly high levels, desynchs, and is hard to control at first but becomes manageable after some experience with it :alright:

The reason for the dual grief pbs is so that you can start your frenzy near the 5fpa break point instead of having to charge up the attack speed. You want to either finish off your opponent the moment you catch them, or keep them stunned as you wail away at them. The only alternative I've tried is grief zerker with beast zerker but the problem was the start up attack speed is very slow, and the opponent lasts longer since beast is weak.

My general strategy has been to run around the opponent at high speeds so they have trouble keeping track of me, then run in with a frenzy based name lock. After landing the first hit, if they manage to get away the fun begins :D

- the boost to the run speed by frenzy will make the barb faster than a high (probablybly max) fcr teleport and allows you to chase down paladins trying to charge away from you~ Running a way from this kind of frenzy barb is a terrifying situation because he's always on your *** :thumbup:

- running opponents have a very high chance of being successfully hit by frenzy (where's your shield block now?)~

so far this build works suprisingly well against all kinds of sorcs (especially blizz), necromancers, all kinds of amazons (cs included) and hammerdins.

This can get fun in pub duels where if you take down one guy with frenzy, you can frenzy all over blood moor at desynch speeds chopping down people before they even know what hit them.

This build is still in the experimental phase, next things i'm looking into are using leap stun than charging in with frenzy and also slapping on an arachnid and trang ouls to tele ahead of a fleeing opponent and run into them with frenzy. It seems frenzy can even against dual weilding whirl wind barbs so long as they whirlwind towards you and it's also possible to duel smiters as well (more on this as i do more experiments with it).

This build has alot of holes in terms of damage reduction and resistance. Luckily the attack speed of frenzy somewhat compensates for this as the opponent will need to dodge or shield block the sword swing coming in every 0.20 seconds the moment your on them. I've been near death and taken down people at close range simply because all they could do was shield block, dodge (amazon) or take the hit the moment i was on them.

Any constructive input is welcome, I really want to see more frenzy barbs in pvp.Things I want to implement with minimal effect to run speed is damage reduction resistance and fhr.

Re: Faster than a charging paladin! PVP Frenzy Barb

Looks interesting. I can't wait to see more, but ATM I don't have the scratch to make it.

good going, finally some use for the zombies in the blood moor, hit a few and come back running

the high amount of fwr is there just so that you dont need to charge up frenzy, it's there to let you catch your opponent easily.

The barb's owned various casters in duels already. I'll post a video once i can get my hands on video recording software that doesn't stop after 30 secs.

Whats your attack rating?
Whats your resists?
Whats your life after BO?

attack rating is 9kish, 21k if i stick on full angelics, 15k with angelics and a frost raven
resists are around 50ish
life after bo is 4.8kish

way to go with this one!!! I've been wanting to build a Frenzy barb tat can pvp but what I keep hearing is that w/o a shield they basically cant survive...

I do agree that speed of running/killing maybe able to compensate the lack of shield... the dmg reduction is needed too I guess?

yep damage reduction is necessary for physical damage duels.

as for now i'm still focusing on the bvc aspect, hopefully i can get my hands on another 15 3% fwr sc's so i can ditch the nigma for a fort and turn this guy into a demon.

What do you have on switch? I'm guessing Widow would be worthwhile.

what about a frenzy with a few points in to ww? (imo Leap and zerk are improtant to pvp barbs ayway) get them thinking frenzy then whip a few away whirls lol CHAOS

cool, gogogo vids (cheer)

i dunno, but it didn't look terribly fast to me in the vid..., i guess i watched them with the expectation of desynch-charge-like speed...

He moves fairly fast if you see him in game, and at a fully charged frenzy he desynchs like mad. I'll post more videos in time as i get more gear.

I've been trying out your build.(Level 90, now)

I must say, I like it. I kill the crap out of (non-maidening) monsters/bosses.
It crushes sorcs... completely.
It worked on wind druids ok.
It handles necros ok, too.
It was an even matchup against a ww barb.
Smiters still beat the ever living crap out of me. Not even a chance on them.
Haven't come across any hdins/zons/sins.

I find myself using Ebotd and LW, more often then the griefs, though.

All in all, I like the build, and I probably just need to learn how to fight smiters.

EbotdDemblade/lwpb is what i use on my pvm frenzier and i have beten smiters with it you gotta get a full charged frenzy and then come at them from a distance tele close and NL fast works everytime

newb question: can he tackle a melee fight? i.e. smiter/kicksin/ww?

plus... would this build be viable for untwink?

its already been answered sorta, if any, ANY BARB loses to a kicksin i will personaly destroy their faces! i have a beefy kicksin(only 61% block but i made for sorcs and necros) 61%clawblock/fastestFHR/faastest kick possible ILY BoS) and she does nowhere close to effective dmg to barbs

how would he do untwinked?

Last edited:

i've heard that word used alot but never found out what it meant, what is untwinked? LW is good for fade but its a terrible pvp weapon i'd think. Very little damage? Also has life tap which is something i try to avoid using.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High