What silly missconceptions did you have when you started.

My first 3 chars I got to hell without a mercenary. I thought the XP was divided betwen us and didn't wan't him to get any. For the same reason, I never did the bloodraven quest, because eventually I'd accidentally click on *whatshername* and get that bloody rogue merc (and she was pretty hard to get killed :smiley:).

That was pretty funny.

My silly misconception about this game is that I could play it on battle.net and still lead a normal life. I'm at work right now, and I just made a few mule trades. :cool:

I thought ACT5 mercs were the best you could get because you had to wait the longest.

I thought a lot of strength meant a lot of damage.

I didn't know what any of the suffixes meant.

I can't even think of all the misconceptions I had about D2... I was so stupid back then. I must have traded away so many good things now that I look back on it. It makes me sad :p .

That was pretty funny.

My silly misconception about this game is that I could play it on battle.net and still lead a normal life. I'm at work right now, and I just made a few mule trades. :cool:

*coff* i still have that problem

my first char back (on the realms for the first time cuz i didn't know that open and closed bnet were differnt)

Ranged Elementel Summoner

by the time i got to hell i had a friend in a sorc and we'd fight a bloody path down to the countess - but forget the pit, those archers always pwnd us!!

although i must not have gone sane yet cuz i still want to find a way to make a ranged summoner druid ahaha

a lot of posts where some of us thought "MORE DEFENCE IS BETTER" .. lol .. i thought the same way. well, defence wins football games and hockey games, therefore, defence wins all games, even D2. :rolleyes:

i remember when i first saw "xxxx Stones of Jordan have been sold to merchants" .. i ran from Gheed to Akara to Malah lookin for those SoJs. :laughing: whatta noob i was! to top it off, i got sick of looking for SoJs, and decided to leave the game because none of the merchants had any. in HELL mode no less. Diablo walked, and i never even left town!

Level 30 skills were the best skills.

100% MF was the max MF you could get.

Sigon's set made you godly.

Dragon Flight is good in PvP. :rolleyes:

My first (and fondest memory) of playing any game with the label Diablo in it was trying to kill the Butcher in Diablo 1. I thought he was the scariest and hardest boss I had ever fought, because at the time, I was 6. (I am 17 now, and Diablo came out in 1996). :smiley:

Oh, yeah..the butcher made me crap my pants when I was 14.. Ahhh...fresh meat!

I thought I was uber good when I came to diablo´s sanctuary, being only a level 20 necro summoner.. god, must have resurrected a zillion skellies in a half hour fight.Curses were not to be used of course! haha..afterall, it WAS a good experience back then, popping that final seal and knowing the next 30 minutes would be very intense.

this made me laugh so hard... The Butcher

I remember thinking if you went to harrogath - You could never go back to prev acts and I swapped gear to other players who needed it before I went to Act 5 Forever!! That is because I didn't know that you could go back and forth to acts by wp instead of finding warif or meshif to take you there.
I thought anything ethereal was crap mainly because you didn't get much money if you sold it. I was that close to selling ethereal Titans when I noticed the replenish quantity attribute.

Biggest discovery - holding the alt key so you could see items on the ground.
I remember when I figured out W for weapon switch, attaching F keys to skills. As one person said when you figured out you could put gear on your merc.
When I learned about rune words and made my first ones - nadir, leaf, malice. I was so pleased with my new items. I still have my first malice claws.
My young friend just told me I wasted a tal rune by making a spirit monarch- he saves them to add 15 lightening damage.

You still have people tell you not to use Ondals becasue you are taking 'their' experience.

Last edited:
I thought that "10% life steal" stole 10% of the monsters life every time you hit it, even on a low dam weap then wondered why the monster took 200 hits to die.

And on my first char when I got to act3 normal and got a freeze mage he killed everything for me and I noticed my exp stopped going up, so I got rid of mercs from then on so I could lvl up!

And I had to re-make my first char (the same one) as I go stuck in act4 normal and couldn't hire a merc and no way to go back to act3 (didn't know about waypoint pages!).

Back when I started, I always tried to get the highest damage weapon and the highest defence armour, no even worriying about any of the mods.

actually even to this day I tend to make the mistake of always looking at def first, and not always at the mods (+str, +dex etc). Luckily people like panda and uhgii tend to correct me there :p

In the very very early days I always made sure that all my characters had a point every one of their thirty skills. Took me a while to realise that I never used the vast majority of them

Back when I didn't know what damage reduction was, I once found a two socket Crown of Ages and thought it was a middling helm with only +1 to skills. I also had no idea what muling was, so I decided to sell it to Lazruk in order to clear my inventory.

If that were not bad enough, what makes it worse were the items that I chose to keep in my inventory which I thought were more valuable than COA: Butcher's Pupil. IK Maul. Griswords Armor. Sigon's Shield . . .

Nostalgic times. I thought sorceress with thundermaul was a lethal combination of spells and melee. And no, i didnt have a single point in enchant.

And my "magic" was divided evently for every skill in all skill-trees:rolleyes: !

"Mr Barbarian, will you please stop shouting like that? It is taking my health away, my life bulb is dropping!"

Yes, the life bulb issue with warcries disturbed me as well (see my first posting... I had no clue about warcries), but since 1.10 it doesn't happen anymore.

Another issue:

* sorc casts enchant on my newb barb"

"Hey, my sword is red. What's going on here ?"

I didn't start in 1.10 :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High