Y.A.W.P's Warcraft Themed Pen 'n Paper RPG style Mafia Game Game Thread

Re: Y.A.W.P's Warcraft Themed Pen 'n Paper RPG style Mafia Game Game Thread

Dancing? Ferrets? And Leo is involved? I immediately thought of this:

http://candicomics.com/d/20100318.html

Seriously though, should we really be engaging this much in off-topic? YAWP is back, we'd need to sort out how we're going to continue the game. Personally, I'd like a chance for fights to be resolved before heading into night.

Yeah... This is still the mafia game :crazyeyes:

My bad, I'm done. Waiting for YAWP sounds fine to me still.

*dozes off*

Alrighty... For lack of a better idea, Imma gonna start a new 48 hour day, starting right now.

Also, I'm open to ideas on how to communicate with combatants other than personal messages since I have very limited PM storage space.

You should get a job at my company - we can use Sametime to instant message then. :thumbsup:

You should get a job at my company - we can use Sametime to instant message then. :thumbsup:

and what, end up wrapped in a rug in the middle of the convo? no. thank. YOU.

Yeah, that's a risk. Hey, I was just throwing it out there.

split the messages b/w you and TC? he gets one guy, you get the other and then you two collaborate and decide? or go to a private place (like, make a quick topic somewhere, idk where) and duke it out there? Gorny's game had the Joker Mafia talk somewhere private and we would've been able to talk during the day, but Dragomir was killed. :(

So, we got a whole new day phase. Excellent, maybe now I can put an idea I had into practice.

We need to get more information, and we need to see the battle system in action. We've been told that no one can be killed with one shot, so it occurred to me that we can have duels that are not supposed to end in death.

The way it could work is this: I challenge someone, and if that someone accepts, we will try to hit each other until we both get one hit in. That's it. After that both sides can defend, which heals all injuries. Finally, both sides retreat, and that's that.

What do we gain from this? It gives to me, and the other combatant, some idea of our respective strengths. Knowing our own stats, we can make an educated guess at how strong our opponents are. The town at large does not know exactly how strong either one of us is, so they only get a vague idea of our relative strength.

There would be no need for any private communication with a fight like this, indeed I'd prefer all actions to be public in the thread. Any comments on this?

As for who I'd like to try this on today, I would challenge Leopold Stotch. I have no idea what to think of you this game, and sparring with you would help me reading you. How about it?

P.S. The system we used in Gorny's game was www.quicktopic.com. Registering an account is free, quick and easy, and you can create private topics. Private enough for mafia games, what with mafiascum.net using them for mafia, masons, neighbors and such all the time.

Quite a lenghtly day phase we got ourselves here.

There's one snag in your plan though Feysal, I imagine the town has players with strong stats and average stats. Now the mafia kingpin is likely to have high stats, but his subjects might have normal ones. And if (Goryani?) is correct about the recruitings then the recruits can have any stats.

If all you want to do is know our relative strength then you can only fight confirmed townies, and even then if they're recruited the data is corrupt.

I can't really see the point of it.

There would be no need for any private communication with a fight like this, indeed I'd prefer all actions to be public in the thread. Any comments on this?

As for who I'd like to try this on today, I would challenge Leopold Stotch. I have no idea what to think of you this game, and sparring with you would help me reading you. How about it?

aw, a wise guy, eh? i'm not good enough to Fight:, eh? hmph.

P.S. The system we used in Gorny's game was www.quicktopic.com. Registering an account is free, quick and easy, and you can create private topics. Private enough for mafia games, what with mafiascum.net using them for mafia, masons, neighbors and such all the time.

yeah, this was what i was talking about. it might be easier on the GMs.

There's one snag in your plan though Feysal, I imagine the town has players with strong stats and average stats. Now the mafia kingpin is likely to have high stats, but his subjects might have normal ones. And if (Goryani?) is correct about the recruitings then the recruits can have any stats.

If all you want to do is know our relative strength then you can only fight confirmed townies, and even then if they're recruited the data is corrupt.

Why only confirmed townies? I don't see how you reached that conclusion. The plan would require both sides to hold back and not kill. If either side would go for the kill it would be extremely scummy and worthy of lynching.

And you are probably correct that the mafia kingpin has high stats. That is who I am trying to find with this plan. Anyone I am evenly matched with or who is clearly weaker than me won't be the cult recruiter, and that is useful information. I don't expect that me fighting someone with average stats would yield anything very useful, except to rule out possibilities for the mafia boss.

aw, a wise guy, eh? i'm not good enough to Fight:, eh? hmph.

I felt it was more polite to issue a challenge and explain what I was doing, rather than go directly for blood, don't you agree? And if you are town, I neither want you accidentally dead, or to be killed myself.

Welcome back YAWP!

Alrighty... For lack of a better idea, Imma gonna start a new 48 hour day, starting right now.

Also, I'm open to ideas on how to communicate with combatants other than personal messages since I have very limited PM storage space.

Maybe use the infamous Alpha Crypt. Give each participant their own cipher. Encode instructions and post the encrypted text. The participants post their encrypted replies. You post the results in plain text when the fight is finished. We would have to all agree not to brute force decrypt messages. I don't think this idea is better than those mentioned already, just giving other options.

The way it could work is this: I challenge someone, and if that someone accepts, we will try to hit each other until we both get one hit in. That's it. After that both sides can defend, which heals all injuries. Finally, both sides retreat, and that's that.

Potential problems:
  • It assumes no "one round and done" fights.
  • It assumes stats are not skewed enough to produce measurable results within a reasonable amount of time. A low dps vs high tank fight might take a while to get the tank injured.
  • The above becomes an issue if you must always choose attack, defend, or retreat. One player may two-shot another while waiting to get injured.
  • Avoiding the two shot scenario will require one player to defend while the other attacks. This could skew the results you were looking for.
  • It assumes injuries won't affect the rest of the fight. Injuries could cause dps to drop so low that one can't injure another.
  • It lets mafia scout for high stat townies by eliminating low/mid stat townies. Mafia have the process of elimination advantage.

I wonder why everyone is poking holes in the plan, instead of at least trying it out?

It assumes no "one round and done" fights.

Indeed it does. YAWP said in post #177 that no player can be one-shotted, so if anyone dies with this, it must happen by conscious choice.

It assumes stats are not skewed enough to produce measurable results within a reasonable amount of time. A low dps vs high tank fight might take a while to get the tank injured.

I don't need that accurate data for searching the cult recruiter. One attack, even if it failed to do anything, would already give me something to go on.

The above becomes an issue if you must always choose attack, defend, or retreat. One player may two-shot another while waiting to get injured.

Two-shotting would be by conscious choice. You can always defend while another player was attacking you, and if the initial attack failed, that would already tell me something, so test fights would not really need to last longer than one round (healing and retreating in second and third round).

Avoiding the two shot scenario will require one player to defend while the other attacks. This could skew the results you were looking for.

If someone is unable to hurt me while I defend, or the other way around, that tells me plenty.

It assumes injuries won't affect the rest of the fight. Injuries could cause dps to drop so low that one can't injure another.

If one were to suffer injuries that serious with one attack, there would be no need really to continue the fight, the question of who was stronger would already have been decided.

It lets mafia scout for high stat townies by eliminating low/mid stat townies. Mafia have the process of elimination advantage.

Now we're getting somewhere, this is the one criticism I can't dismiss that easily. However, I can say that we need more information, and this would be one way of getting it. Our track record with lynches has not been impressive.

Perhaps this problem could be circumvented by having the fights happen privately after all? YAWP - how public are injuries? Does the whole town get those results from each round, the combatants only, or possibly only the player who suffers the injuries?

Hello?

...lo?

Anybody here?

...body here?

Suddenly feels like I'm alone in this game, with no one else saying anything. If someone likes my plan, I want to hear it. If someone else does not, I also want to know, so I can improve it. And if anyone else has better ideas, do share! We did not want to give up on this game, so let's play it then, shall we?

Well I think the plan accomplishes nothing. There are strong guys on the town and on the anti-town side. Same as average stats. You won't know which power player you'll out. And seeing as it was nearly a week ago that Bad Ash challenged me and we still haven't fought I don't think the plan is doable.

I've voiced my concerns at Goryani and I've placed my vote. Frankly I can't think of anything to talk about after more than 160 hours of dayphase.

Why don't we just make the fight a thing for nightphases. Like Gorny's game. Both combatants creats a quicktopic and post their action. Yawp reads both and posts the outcome in the thread. Than they post their second action and so on untill the fight's over.

I honestly can't see this working during the day, we haven't decided on a date/time yet and it's been nearly a week.

I felt it was more polite to issue a challenge and explain what I was doing, rather than go directly for blood, don't you agree? And if you are town, I neither want you accidentally dead, or to be killed myself.

it's because im a lady, right? ;) :girly:
Ayla%20-%20Kiss%20%28Left%29.gif

well, i GUESS we could try. i mean, it gives us something, ya know?

Feysal, how do you want to do this?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High