Why Ban People Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why Ban People Now?

Don't be preposterous. That date is never going to be just a date or just a day. It will always be associated with that atrocity. Perhaps you aren't old enough to either remember that day or aren't aware enough to realize the repurcussion that are still going on even now. If so then I hope you learn some history at school.

I wasn't there, I wasn't even in America.

I will no longer reply to topics regarding this. Don't waste your time replying to this one either.

No offense here but whats the point of playing a game where you just let your toon stand in a room and level on its own? If your going to do that why not start out with lvl 99 characters decked in all the top equipment to begin with and the option to tick all quests as completed. Would take only 60 seconds to complete the game.

I like to pvp silly. Levelling is just a grind to get my character pvp ready. As for legitimate botting. Badly phrased because of the connotations. However, the comparison to Eve online is appropriate. I like how there is a mechanism in that game to allow players who do not spend every waking moment playing so they can make progress when not playing the game. Presumably when they are living their life a little bit.

If more people understood probability in this game and didn't fall into the bear trap that is gambler's fallacy, nobody would seriously entertain the idea of self finding high runes or top end uniques If you do then you are mad. The odds are so astronomically low that you would be insane to even attempt to beat them and expect success in any reasonable amount of time.

But whatever. I've still got all my characters and all my gear. But I find myself not playing the game anymore. I'm just trying to understand why that is.

(edit: and no, its not because of Fallout 3. Although that game is stonking good I have to admit).

11/11, that's a date we shall all remember.
Why? People got banned from a computer game for breaking the terms which they agreed to when they purchased it. No one died. Good grief, way to over react.
If so then I hope you learn some history at school.
Speaking of history lessons, that date we all (or maybe not all apparently) remember forever for the signing of the armistice that ended WWI. I think it's precisely the fact that people stopped dying that the day is so famous... :whistling:

why ban people now?

because its funny. Anytime people think they can get away with stuff and then get smacked down is awesome.

oh alright, there is probably a real reason. they wanted to get people off the damn servers 2 days before a major launch.

And Bill, there have been at least 4 major ban sprees and someone posts the same question each time :p

If more people understood probability in this game and didn't fall into the bear trap that is gambler's fallacy, nobody would seriously entertain the idea of self finding high runes or top end uniques If you do then you are mad. The odds are so astronomically low that you would be insane to even attempt to beat them and expect success in any reasonable amount of time.

You don't have to think that the "law of averages" is an actually natural law to to do LK runs. Some people do actually think it works that way, but if you look around the SP forum, you'll see that there are plenty of people who hunt for, and find, hrs while being fully aware of the probabilities involved.

You don't have to think that the "law of averages" is an actually natural law to to do LK runs. Some people do actually think it works that way, but if you look around the SP forum, you'll see that there are plenty of people who hunt for, and find, hrs while being fully aware of the probabilities involved.

Finding high runes is not an exceptional event. Given the number of creatures dying on bnet per day and the number of LK superchests being opened it is inevitable that high runes will drop.

Finding a high rune yourself and being the one to pick it up instead of any one of the potential 7 other players in the same game - that is an exceptional event.

The same logic also applies to extremely unlikely events outside of the game. People win the national lottery all the time. That is not an exceptional occurance. An exception occurance would be you personally winning the national lottery. I have played Diablo II for many years on and off and I have never self found a high rune. I have never joined a game and even seen a high rune drop and someone else get it. If it werent for the fact that I have seen them in a trade window and socketted them myself, I could be forgiven for believing they don't actually exist.

Some people get extremely lucky and will find a high rune in that time, perhaps even more than 1. Ultimately, its chance. However, the chance to drop is so low that is common for people to grind out thousands of LK runs and play the game for years and never see a HR actually drop. I don't understand the mindset of people that actively try to self find HRs for the following reasons:

1) The likelihood is so low you might as well actively try to win the lottery and nobody actually does that. Certainly if you are gambling on odds as low as this, you are better off doing it on the lottery because if you do actually win then you can buy every damn high rune in Diablo II if you wanted. Like every other person who does gamble on the lottery and does have an ounce of sense, you buy your ticket every week and if you win thats brilliant but dont count on it because the likelihood is extremely low.

2) High runes are almost certainly duped en masse and paradoxically have a current trade value which is more or less equal to an 'ist' which has a very reasonable chance to drop from Hell Countess and something like a 1 in 12 chance to drop from Hellforge.

Therefore, I feel very strongly that it is a fool's errand to try to find high runes when you can trade for them with legitimate runes that do have a reasonable chance to drop.

I don't play bnet anymore, but I do run LK and I do rush for forges. I have 20 hell forges saved up, so I stand a pretty good chance of having my very own self-found hr if I spend the time to collect them.

I would surmise that the initial high runes for each ladder are cubed up, so it is even possible that no one at all finds a zod in a given ladder season. You say that you would be forgiven for not believing that that hrs exist, well, you really could be forgiven for not believing that an hr was ever dropped.

HR drops are incredibly rare, that's why I run LK at /p5, for the charms, jewels and gems. But if you look in the SP forum, people do run LK and they do find Los and Bers. The gambler's fallacy has nothing to do with it, which was my point. They know it's rare, so they run for the charms, jewels and mid runes. Then, eventually, they get a high rune.

We're in agreement over the rareness of hrs, but I take exception to

If more people understood probability in this game and didn't fall into the bear trap that is gambler's fallacy, nobody would seriously entertain the idea of self finding high runes or top end uniques If you do then you are mad.

I don't think that your first statement is true. Maybe you can explain it very directly. Also, plenty of SP players have one of every unique in the game (some are totally self-found).
Therefore, I feel very strongly that it is a fool's errand to try to find high runes when you can trade for them with legitimate runes that do have a reasonable chance to drop.

On bnet, sure, I guess so. But in the SPTF, a Sur (useless, right?) trades for a boatload of good equipment.

One more thing: :)guiness:)^6, so maybe some of my post is phrased poorly.

11/11, that's a date we shall all remember.

They shall grow not old;
as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them;
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun;
and in the morning;
we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.

it's a date you should remember for much more important historical reasons than Blizzard's banwave.

at 11.11am on November 11, 1918, peace was declared and World War I ended. it's known variously as Armistice Day, Veteran's Day, Poppy Day or Remembrance Day.

i think that's a slightly more important reason to remember November 11 than for Blizzards actions.

By your own phrasing you are likening the ban incident to 11th September 2001 when over 3000 people, DIED. Do you honestly intend to liken a few bans to that amount of death, destruction and terror?
- - - -
Don't be preposterous. That date is never going to be just a date or just a day. It will always be associated with that atrocity. Perhaps you aren't old enough to either remember that day or aren't aware enough to realize the repurcussion that are still going on even now. If so then I hope you learn some history at school.
Thyiad, you seriously need to learn some history too. see my comments above.

WWI lead to far more deaths than September 11. even if we include all those who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11/2001, were are still at a minute fraction of those who died during WWI)

Speaking of history lessons, that date we all (or maybe not all apparently) remember forever for the signing of the armistice that ended WWI. I think it's precisely the fact that people stopped dying that the day is so famous... :whistling:
i'm glad to see i'm not the only person who remembers what November 11 REALLY means (i didn't see your post before i made mine.)

Last edited:

Yes, mephistophelez' comment was more arrogant, sarcastic and rude while yours just shows glee and no own initiative. Congratulations to both of you for losing another bit of respect of a mod :rolleyes:

What about Thyiad's comment, eh? That wasn't arrogant at all. Also, what's wrong with showing a bit of glee?

I have no idea what you mean by the last part. :\

That's right, I agree that I didn't notice that a part of Thyiad's posting which wasn't overly diplomatic as well. Sorry, mephistophelez, for just addressing you with that.

AkumaSlayer, as you don't think there's anything wrong with glee, there's nothing which I have to apologize for, right ? Whatever, I don't think the issue is really that dramatic.

I'll give Thyiad the benefit of the doubt in his post regarding boogyman's comparison of 11/11 to 9/11. That has been the correllation drawn on MANY forums by MANY people, mostly because very few of us remember 1918. (ha ha) The significance of 9/11 is a bit more impactive on the current (younger) generations that makeup the majority of d2 gamers. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, but that's just the way it is.

At any rate, in reference to the amount of time being spent to gain items/runes/levels/etc: This is exactly how it SHOULD be. There should be no reason why someone who plays this game for 3 hours a week should be equal in level or "wealth" to someone who plays this game for 80 hours a week. I go to school, do homework, have dinner with my parents, go shopping, see movies, etc etc. It's just plain dumb to think that I should have amasssed the things that more serious/hardcore players have.

Last edited:

In regards to the article I think Blizzard banned all those accounts because:

a) They don't like people hacking their games, and possibly,

b) They wanted to kick some of the cheating D2 users on their servers to reduce lag for all the WoW players (only applies if the D2 battlenet servers are linked to WoW servers).

In any case, I think they're fair reasons.

In regards to the article I think Blizzard banned all those accounts because:

a) They don't like people hacking their games, and possibly,

b) They wanted to kick some of the cheating D2 users on their servers to reduce lag for all the WoW players (only applies if the D2 battlenet servers are linked to WoW servers).

In any case, I think they're fair reasons.

b. They aren't linked in any way. Though Dii and WoW servers are hosted by AT&T.

Would all of these "lag issues" that may or may not be related to duping/hacking/increased-workload-due-to-many-"connections"-being-used-by-the-same-person-via-loader-etc, have contributed to at&t finally saying, "Look we've had it with you lagging our servers for our other clients who share them. Either fix it or pay us more money, etc for the use of our servers."

A mass banning would be the quickest way I could think of that would remedy a bandwidth situation like that.

Yes, mephistophelez' comment was more arrogant, sarcastic and rude......

i wasn't aware that mods hereabouts were to be addressed as "Oh Grand High Exhalted One Without Whom We Are As Nought" along with a genuflect and general bowing and scraping.

if you're going to pull people up about their knowledge of history, it's probably a good idea to make sure you get your own facts straight.

Forgetting to mention the fact that November 11 is Armistice Day is akin to forgetting that July 4 is American independence day, December 25 is Christmas and April 25 is ANZAC Day so far as i'm concerned.

i feel my post was perfectly fair and reasonable.

I'll point out that I agree with Thyaid when he states that comparing blizzards banwave to Sept. 11 is dumb and plain out of order.

Congratulations to both of you for losing another bit of respect of a mod :rolleyes:

quite honestly: carefactor = zero.

there's more than one mod around here i don't think is worth their salt.

I'll give Thyiad the benefit of the doubt in his post regarding boogyman's comparison of 11/11 to 9/11. That has been the correllation drawn on MANY forums by MANY people, mostly because very few of us remember 1918.

i'm not prepared to grant such a concession. the fact that there are so few people left alive who served in WWI makes it even more important than ever for us to remember their sacrifice and the horrors they faced.

quite frankly if you aren't taught some basics about WWI in your school, then i rekon whoever sets your curriculum should be shot.

"those who fail to heed the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them" ~ Anon.

The significance of 9/11 is a bit more impactive on the current (younger) generations that makeup the majority of d2 gamers. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, but that's just the way it is.

regards the current discussion: had blizzards banwave hit on September 11, i'd agree. but it didn't. it hit on Armistice Day.

comparing WWI to September 11, 2001 is just plain, weird. not to mention hideously disrespectful of WWI servicemen.

you simply cannot compare the attrition of trench warfare through the mud of the western front, involving millions of troops on both sides, to a handful of religious nutcases slamming some planes into some buildings. the two are like chalk and cheese and to make such a comparison is, to my mind, the height of American arrogance.

The only possible similarity between the two is that in WWI, nations marched to war because a nutcase Bosnian nationalist Gavrilo Princip popped a cap in a twit Austrian noblemans butt (Archduke Franz Ferdinand, a bloke so popular most of his own family couldn't be bothered to attend his funeral) which was the Casus Belli that sparked the Big Oops I. On September 11, 2001 a bunch of nutcase Arabs busted some planes in some buildings knocking off 3,000 people and quite possibly sparking what could turn into Big Oops III. In both cases it was the actions of the few that lead to the sacrifice of the many.

i say again:

[highlight]
Lest We Forget
[/highlight]

Last edited:

I'm not familiar with "Armistrice Day" to be honest - we call it Remembrance Day here, and have a minute silence and ceremonies on the day.

On topic, I think Magi may have nailed one of the reasons why Blizzard banned all those users.

I'm not familiar with "Armistrice Day" to be honest - we call it Remembrance Day here, and have a minute silence and ceremonies on the day.

if you read the post that lead to the accusations of my arrogance you would have seen:

mephiztophelez said:
They shall grow not old;
as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them;
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun;
and in the morning;
we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.

it's a date you should remember for much more important historical reasons than Blizzard's banwave.

at 11.11am on November 11, 1918, peace was declared and World War I ended. it's known variously as Armistice Day, Veteran's Day, Poppy Day or Remembrance Day.

i think that's a slightly more important reason to remember November 11 than for Blizzards actions.

now at least you know WHY Remembrance Day is held on the day it is.

i feel as though i have achieved something positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High