D2 What class will you play first?

Still kind of undecided, but considering it's almost a new game with all the new shiny visuals, maybe I should also try something almost new. That would be an assassin as I haven't ever really properly played one despite of thousands of hours poured into this game over the two past decades.

I'm probably overestimating myself, but in case anybody is missing me in here: I've decided to skip the beta phase and wait for the official start. Beta launches tend to last longer than expected and Blizzard schedules aren't known to be punctual, so I don't want to spoil the fun for me. I will just play single player though.

My plan: Single player, starting as if a new ladder season had started. Which means: Charged boltress until done with normal, then respec to blizzard sorc and do the usual "get rich quick" thing at the expense of the nightmare Countess (until I have certain runewords), then nightmare Mephisto, hell Mephisto, Pindleskin and finally Tunnels ad nauseam until I've found the single one and only rune/set/unique item I've never found so far.

Well in Softcover would be Sorceress for sure.
But since i will be playing HC with a friend last time in LoD it was Wind Druid but this time
1. Trapsin or Fishymancer or (Blizzard Sorc if i feel good)

I know hardcore pretty well because in the old days we played that only. Have finished all content lile ubers etc. But Sorc is allways risky...

Reactions: Fruitvendor
Anyone starting off in hardcore mode?

I plan to play a Fishyzon because it's a character I've not played in a long time and I know I'll enjoy it.
Im debating with myself if I wanna go Fishyzon, Meteorb or Java. All three are great first chars. And Its been sooo long I had a Fishyzon.

I'm probably overestimating myself, but in case anybody is missing me in here: I've decided to skip the beta phase and wait for the official start. Beta launches tend to last longer than expected and Blizzard schedules aren't known to be punctual, so I don't want to spoil the fun for me. I will just play single player though.

Yeah Im the same. I had keys for both closed and open beta, but didnt play at all. I wanted to save myself for the real deal :)

Im debating with myself if I wanna go Fishyzon, Meteorb or Java. All three are great first chars. And Its been sooo long I had a Fishyzon.
javazon is great, but there aren't many options to farm in hell without infinity. where will you go? cow level, 1WP act5?

I start with a sorceress in hardcore mode, I will have more options without good equipment.

Just played through classic with a Paladin for the first time. It was a class I was never that interested in but wanted to try before D2R. I'm still not sure what to go for though with D2R. I think it's going to be matter of impulse when I hit that character screen. I'll probably check out a few guides in advance this time so as not to make any stupid build mistakes.

Doing a playthrough from start to finish with a new char after not doing that for a while was interesting. One thing that stood out this time was how Act 5 was not really that great as far as an expansion is concerned. It feels like it was developed in a hurry by North.

javazon is great, but there aren't many options to farm in hell without infinity. where will you go? cow level, 1WP act5?

I start with a sorceress in hardcore mode, I will have more options without good equipment.

Yeah, Cows ftw! Just literally farm cows over and over. Getting an Elite eInsight, merc is strong, he can kill the lightimus at Travi aswell as other places.

Fishymancer or trapper, can't decide. Then twinked out zerker or Travi barb.

I think I'll stick to softcore still. Would like to make my first trapsin. I've played every class and builds numerous times, except for Assassin. I always got foggy eyed trying learn about FCR/IAS differences for traps and just lost interest. Might as well force myself with D2R to finally learn how to play a trapper.
As far as I recall, traps are not affected by FCR at all, only IAS, so that would be one less thing to worry about. :)

Yes, xxx sentry and wake of xxx aren't affected by FCR, but the other skills from the traps tree are, so a bit FCR might help. For PvM, being quick at the IAS traps isn't that much useful, but it won't hurt to have a bit of IAS and perhaps a claw or other weapon with a good base speed.

Yeah, Cows ftw! Just literally farm cows over and over. Getting an Elite eInsight, merc is strong, he can kill the lightimus at Travi aswell as other places.
Hi there Krem!

Cows? Hmm no, the Farm is just area level 81 or so. With a javazon I would probably do the Chaos Sanctuary which is L85... and you probably know I'm too much German to give up efficiency. On the other hand, cows are good at dropping runes for some reason, but I think that finding HRs is mostly a matter of being lucky while looking for something else.

My primary goal is finding that one and only rune/unique/set item I've never found so far: Griffon's. Yes, I've found all the rest, all runes up to Zod, Tyrael's, Mang Song's etc. etc. - some of which is much more rare than this unique diadem. I'm pretty much annoyed about having found M'avinas True Sight, the set diadem, for half a dozen times... I even stopped picking it up!

Last edited:
I will go with a Blizz Sorc for some magic find, buying a tele staff or helmet is way too expensive gold wise haha

And then PoisonNecro and SmitePally for fun :)

Assasin for launch, since traps are fixed! And then necro summoner for ladder reset.

Reactions: Dook23
Paladin - In all Blizzard games from Diablo 2 to Heartstone, Paladin is my favorite class
I spent hundreds of hours at DIablo, did all the acts together with my friends and then on my own (solo). I only play online (even when playing solo) so that I can sell my items when I drop them. I like to get paid for items, I can buy and sell them. The best D2R item store is Odealo and I only buy my items for Diablo 2 Resurrected there https://odealo.com/games/diablo-2/items

Last edited:
I am torn between trap/kick assassin and a good old meteorb sorc, or maybe wind druid. Also not sure if i wanna play before ladder comes out, but i guess i won't be able to resist the idea of playing this game again.

Also, really cool to see some names from back in the day on the ETF. This should be fun :D

Hi there Krem!

Cows? Hmm no, the Farm is just area level 81 or so. With a javazon I would probably do the Chaos Sanctuary which is L85... and you probably know I'm too much German to give up efficiency. On the other hand, cows are good at dropping runes for some reason, but I think that finding HRs is mostly a matter of being lucky while looking for something else.

My primary goal is finding that one and only rune/unique/set item I've never found so far: Griffon's. Yes, I've found all the rest, all runes up to Zod, Tyrael's, Mang Song's etc. etc. - some of which is much more rare than this unique diadem. I'm pretty much annoyed about having found M'avinas True Sight, the set diadem, for half a dozen times... I even stopped picking it up!
Hola krischan!
Yea I know cows is "only" lvl 81, but still many good items can drop there and you mentioned the runes already and there is gems :) and its fast with a Java. There is some areas in a3 aswell with low amount of light imus and many small monsters. Many of the items Ive found has been in a3 cause of the amount of monsters there.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High