Utopia – A Diablo II Group

Actually, it's a combination. Going to Disneyworld one week, then going to training the next before I start a new job in August. Thanks for the well wishes, sorry to miss out on the opportunity, this is the kind of ideas that keep the game fresh.

I'd be happy to fill that Druid spot and should be more than capable of meeting each week on time. While I have played Hardcore extensively, and have made several character types.. normally I exclusively play Orb/TK sorcs. So I may need some advice in terms of setting up the skills, although the build seems simple enough.

Should I be a part of this, I've made the account "Thaumaturge". I'll try and come up with a good character name later.

So I've been thinking about my sorceress, I'm pondering a hydra sorceress, I presume this would be a fine substitute, seeing how it's not one of the vastly overpowered sorceress skills?

Additionally, whichever build I end up going, charged bolt or hydras, there will be synergies which are more powerful, namely lightning for the boltress and fireball on the hydra sorceress. Wouldnt come into play as much on the charged boltress because I'd only really use lightning on individual targets, whereas the hydra sorceress would be laying hydras and supporting with fireball.

One of the major advantages I see to the hydra/ball sorc is that she'll at least be able to help with static vs fire immunes, whereas the charged boltress wouldnt be able to help at all against light immunes.

-Matt

I haven't read the whole thread, but based on research i did a long time ago, orb/hydra is much more practical and effective.

Code:
Account Name         Forum Name          Character Name          Build Slot
*Kret2               Kretschmer          URideToboggan           Frost Maiden (Ama)
     ???             AgentMarth               ???                Singer (B)
*Darksideofthemoon   Matt                     ???                Charged Boltress (S)
*Sara1[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*Diacronic           Diacronic           Doubleyoke              Frenzy (B)     
*Rygor               Rygor               Pally-vsWild            Avenger (P)
*Thaumaturge         Schmidley                ???                Fire Claws (D)
*???                 Yournamehere             ???                Not a Fishy (N)

Matt, I'm running the numbers past a skill calc that I don't think I can link here (search for Chippydip 1.10 in Google).

With +9 to that tree (fairly conservative for lightning and really conservative for fire) we get the following damage:
Charged bolt: (283-304) x (24) = 6792-7296 (Assuming all bolts hit the target.)
Lightning: 6720
Fire Ball: 4280-4726
Hydra: 1592-1828

That's assuming that you're only maxing hydra and charged bolt synergies; fireball and lightning will do much better if you max meteor and chain lightning, respectively. Granted, lightning is piercing and thus much more effective than charged bolt. Comparing that to a Phoenix Striker, who does the following with +9 to martial arts (my single player PSer has +7 to skills):
Meteor: 2070-2334
Chain Lightning: 3-5184
Charged Bolts: 2-3744

The lightning skills require 2-3 strikes to charge up, while the meteor can be executed at ~1 per second. For a sorceress, 63% FCR means that you're pumping out almost 3 hits per second (2.78)! (Lightning/Chain Lightning are slower.) Now do you see how tough she is to balance? Most skills are either useless, incredibly strong, or decently strong with spammable killer synergies. Fireball and lightning are less powerful than a perfectly-executed charged bolt volley on a single target, but deal much more by virtue of spash and piercing damage (and are easier to plant, in the real world).

Feel free to play around with the skill calc and the breakpoints (http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485631). It's tough to make a weak sorceress! Even oft-ignored skills like firewall are devastating (7075-7151 per second and STACKS)

glacial spike/ice blast sorc has its limitations in damage, but if you synergize it it should be moderately good in damage and a plus in keeping enemies still.

the only problem i see is that orb and blizzard ARE its synergies, and will probably outdamage gs/ib...

lvl 29 gs (full synergy):
1436-1524, avg 1480
2.125 second freeze in hell
lvl 29 ib (full synergy):
2888-2992, avg 2940.5
6.4 second freeze in hell

edit: nvm, forgot about frost maiden........

Code:
*Kret2               Kretschmer          URideToboggan           Frost Maiden (Ama)
*Darksideofthemoon   Matt                     ???                Charged Boltress (S)
*Sara1[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*Thaumaturge         Shmidley                ???                Fire Claws (D)
*???                 Yournamehere             ???                Not a Fishy (N)

Well, there's "sch" in my name and my handle; sure you don't want to join the club? :) Feel free to edit the chart thingy as needed.

Oak, type of damage isn't a huge deal, we've got solid built-in diversity.

Hope you don't mind that I edited the chart.

Code:
*Thaumaturge         Shmidley                ???                 Fire Claws (D)
*T.Bruschi_54        Necsin              MADcowPSN               Poisonmancer(N)

God I hope I can still join. If anyone remembers it, I was in that UA:Let's Rock! (Untwinked Adventures) and me and 2 other people were the last people standing in actI nm....oh well.
Hopefully this is a more closely knit group and will stay alive longer:prop:

When gambling over being a poisonmancer and a Lich Lord, I figured a Lich lord would cause a tad bit slower gameplay.

P.S. When do we meet?

Last edited:
Yes, we got a full group now!

When I get home to night, I'll make an USeast account and post that and the character name here. I got a name in mind, just not sure if it will be taken yet.

Our first meeting is this Wed at 7:00 EST I believe so that means 4:00 PST. I have the day off even so that works out perfect for me.

7pm est, got it.. In what channel or game?

I've been looking forward to this all week :thumbsup:

So I had a excellent weekend of playing, started a fireclaw Bear and he's a hoot . Easier keeps pace with those silly little fury pups I'm playing with. Shockwave ftw!

update , my account for utopia with now be Sara3[eF] , I've just ran outa room on 1 and 2

Last edited:
Right, I need to post my account

*Shinmeiryuu

The character name will either be I_Lol or I_Lawl, sound good? I thought it was kinda fitting for a singer Barb. Its still weird to me though, as all my other names are always actual names with no _ - x or anything.

I second the wanting to know a channel to meet in.

Getting more egar!

More editing :smiley:

Code:
*Shinmeiryuu         AgentMarth               ???                Singer (B)
*Sara3[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*T.Bruschi_54        Necsin              MADcowPSN               Poisonmancer(N)

How about the channel is just op_Utopia and the game is Utopia///Utopia

Op Utopia and Utopia/Utopia sound perfect.

NS, I think this group will fare a lot better, as we've got a set weekly schedule instead of meeting "every whenever." I've personally done an untwinked venomancer and found (while the idea is really cool; concentric rings of death!) the damage really low in 8-person hell games. It seems to be heavily dependent on certain items, like trang's gloves and -poi% gear. Granted, that necro had awful, awful luck with gear and some questionable skill point choices. I don't want to dissuade you; just don't want to feel like I'm misleading you. Fun is the name of the game. :)

If anyone drops out of this (or you don't have 8 people yet), I'd be happy to make a bonermancer and join you. Let me know here if you need one more -- I'm pretty dedicated to doing these sorts of things.

USEast Account: *Xochi

-A Lich Lord wouldn't really deal a lot of damage (would the magi even live long enough?)
-From my experience with bonemancers, I find they also work better solo because I like utilizing Bone Prison even though it is very annoying in parties.
-Fishymancers are out of the question (<== probably didn't need to say that)

I would go with a psn javazon, but then we wouldn't have a Necromancer.

Any input would be appreciated cause I'm still up for change.

For the Necro and balancing, my vote goes to a bone necro, the party is lacking some magic damage. Bone necs in pvm are not overpowered even with the best of gear. Untwinked this char will be a mana hog. (poison nova is a hog like that too) I find poison damage to be lacking big time in pvm play.

A melee Nec with a healthy investment in Curses or a Golemancer would be fairly well balanced.
Heck with the party we have , amp, decrep and CE is all a necro would need..

That last point with the Necro is true, we just need him for the curses, CE for corpse clearing. Bone could work, but may be weak without a few plus skills.

One thing to note though, being the Singer Barb, and not dishing out much damage, even moreso till clvl 30, I will basically be a utility char, and I plan on using Find Item on just about every monster I can, so excessive CE'ing can be a bit of a pain, especially on that unique boss that coulda dropped a Wizzy, but got CE'd instead.

I don't think mana should be that great of an issue. The moment that first Sol is found, I'm pretty sure that we will make an Insight ASAP, even if in like a 4 soc normal class item. I would just hope to get a Stealth and dual Spirits for my Barb.

Just a thought, maybe we should plan out what Mercs to get. I'll most likely be getting a Act 2 Prayer Merc and keep him the whole way. I love the no potting.

NS, whatever you think would be fun, as long as it's not ZOMG powerful. :)

As for the merc? I was going to go prayer, as I'm lazy when it comes to using potions. But I'll go with whatever the group needs, or a novelty merc.

Code:
*Shinmeiryuu         AgentMarth               ???                Singer (B)
*Sara3[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*Xochi (Sub)         Xochi                   XK_Xochi             Bonemancer(N)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High