Utopia – A Diablo II Group

Kretschmer

Jun 24, 2003
arstechnica.com
Utopia – A Diablo II Group

A few weeks ago I was thinking about the “perfect†Diablo II group, replete with Javazon, Blizzard Sork, and their ilk. But that’s not the most fun: the game becomes trivial, and some group members become completely overshadowed. No one wants to be that guy swinging for 500 damage while 20K meteors rain down from the sky. So the next question was “what would the most fun group be, taking into account balance, challenge, and conflicting itemization? That’s where Utopia came from.

This is a Diablo II group that’s a little different. Instead of maximizing killing power on one end – or restricting everyone to Wirt’s leg on the other – this one comes with a preformed roster built around balance and synergy. Builds were picked that allow for strong progression and individual contribution without cheese or the “five sorceresses and an Oculus dropped†problems. Here they are:

Assassin: Phoenix Striker
Druid: Fire Claws
Sorceress: Charged Bolt
Paladin: Avenger
Barbarian: Anything
Necromancer: Boner or Venomancer
Amazon: Frost Maiden
Paladin2: Fanaticism Zealot or Tesladin or Freezadin

The idea is to take these characters from Act 1 Normal to Act V Hell, hardcore, untwinked and unaided. The group will meet on Wednesdays at 7:00PM EST and run until 9:00PM, starting on July 18th. This group is USEast only.

If you’re interested in the group, add your account name, Utopia character name (be creative :thumbsup: ), and the build you want to use on the list. I’ll go first:
Code:
Account Name          Character Name          Build Slot
*Kretschmer             URideToboggan           Frost Maiden (Ama)

Rules:
*This is an untwinked group. You only use what you find in Utopia games, and nothing can be transferred onto your character.
*On loot? Don’t be a bastard. Feel free to pick up items, but ask before vendoring something good. For example that +3 Weaken +3 Lifetap wand can go straight from your inventory to the NPC, but ask before selling that two-socket wand with +3 Spear and Spirit. Part of not being a bastard is letting things go to someone who needs them. That Griffon’s eye is better for our sorceress than our necro.
*Let drops sit for a few seconds on act boss kills, and discuss. Mad grabs cause deadly mistakes and frustration.

Assassin:
Phoenix Striker - http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=599

Assassins are a veritable Swiss army knife of fun skills. They have traps, martial arts moves, summonable buddies, and utility spells. So how do you choose the right assassin?

We’re going with the Phoenix Striker, an assassin built around – you guessed it – phoenix strike. This build offers powerful yet balanced damage. It’s not very item dependent; hell-ready gear is obtainable from vendors and gambling. Most importantly, it’s fun! I’m currently running a phoenix striker through single-player, and she’s a treat. Very fast and strategic play; you’re constantly on the move while manipulating your surroundings to maximize survival. She should be even more fun in a group, with battle orders and oak sage removing the fragile downsides to this build. Two elements to attack with allows for strong play against immunes. Highly recommended!

Druid:
Fire Claws - http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=541#Fire Druids and Shapeshifting

Every group wants a druid, and that goes double in hardcore. Oak sage boosts your life into the stratosphere, while other skills allow these guys to be furry tanks and death machines. Heck, druids can summon their own grizzly bears!

For our druid, we wanted someone fairly item independent, with good damage and utility. The choice? A fire claws bear or wolf. They can pump out 4-6K damage per swing, need only a fast weapon, benefit from our conviction/elemental focus, and offer personal tanking and group oak utility. The idea is to max fireclaws and oak, while putting points as needed into fireclaws synergies and support skills. Wolf or bear, we’ll be glad to have you along.

Sorceress:
Charged Boltress - http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=560

The sorceress was one of the toughest characters to balance. Most sorceress skills have plenty of synergies and dizzying maximum damage, allowing them to easily overshadow other classes. A charged boltress offers reasonable damage, static/teleport utility, and survivability through energy shield. Differing from the guide, our sorceress will be single-tree. I’ve done a boltress, and they’re quite fun!

Paladin:
Avenger - http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=510

Avengers are just spectacular. They’re a force multiplier that’s particularly effective in an elemental-based party like ours. All their gear is easily obtainable, utility is unmatched with support auras, and BO and oak transform this fellow into an incredible tank. We <3 the avenger.

Barbarian:
Anything with BO – (Some examples: http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=506 ; http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=572 ; http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126634

Untwinked barbarians really can’t become overpowered without crazy luck, so enjoy whatever you want. If it’s got BO it’s in: beserk, concentrate, frenzy, double throw...double potion throw…

Necromancer:
Boner – (Max spear, spirit, and synergies)
Venomancer – (Max Nova and synergies; points in lower resist/revives/etc)
Lord of Magi – (RSM/SM/LR)

The necromancer is another tricky spot. A fishymancer (max RS/SM/CE) is extremely powerful and can solo the game on /players 8. This would pose a problem, as our necro could literally do just that, while the rest of us sipped lemonade. So he’s out.

What other builds are there? Boners and venomancers come to mind, though the former kills slowly and the latter kills many things very very slowly, untwinked. A lord of magi does low damage in /players 8 hell. I’m open to anything without raise skeleton, so pick something you’d enjoy.

Amazon:
Frost Maiden - http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=561

Javazons are one of the most potent killers in Diablo2. Lest we become the group “A Javazon and Those Guys That Follow it Around†(AJaTGTFiA; catchy!), we’re going to remove the beefkiller from consideration.

The ice maiden fits our needs perfectly. Scales with skill levels more than gear; moderate AoE damage; minion and debuff utility; all in all a balanced, useful build. Mana is a bit tough until someone crafts an insight, but vendors sell potions for a reason, no? This is the build I’ll be going with, as I’ve done many of the other builds recently and something fresh would be a treat.

Paladin2:
Tesladin/Freezadin/Fanatic Zealot (http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=505 ; http://www.purediablo.com/guides/news.php?id=542 ; http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356928)

If we fill up and there’s interest in the eigth slot, another pally is always useful in a pinch for extra elemental damage or fanaticism, as well as spot applications of salvation, meditation, etc.

I just wanna wish your group if / when it starts..... :thumbsup:

The only problems u might find is that the people involved might just drift after a while.... it happen'd in the past n sure to repeat itself... I'm not knocking your idea down @ all.

Similar groups have been started in the past and the only ones that last are those players that show the dedication to show up and keep showing up.... there are always times that RL get in the way and that normally comes 1st. There have been several groups that have been succesful dependent on the chars they choose, etc.

I'm not sure if KTA started there group up again on Europe, but it was enjoyable reading their trial n tribulations as they went through the game in a similar fashion.

p.s. a mule for gems n runes to be used @ a later date is suitable for this type of play - as long as those gems n runes are found during game play of course :grin:

While I don't know if I want to do this, yet, It sounds like alot of fun to do.

I play on USwest, yeah the lesser played one, but that wouldn't be an issue I guess seeing as how it would be all untwinked anyways and fresh. What would be would me being able to get home at 4:00 my time in order to play unless I happen to have a day of or leave work early (both are more than possible I guess).

So I guess I am maybe interested on doing this, but I don't want to say for sure yet. If I were to, I would take the Barb, and make a singer. Stun FTW, along with BO and high life.

I guess if enough people want to do this I'll be up for it. If I were to, I am the type of person who would see it through to the end and not stop midway (save for death) even moreso being the BO'er of the group.

I'm not sure if KTA started there group up again on Europe, but it was enjoyable reading their trial n tribulations as they went through the game in a similar fashion.

We will be indeed WingBlade, we are just waiting for zrk to come back from his country retreat :smiley:

I would totally be up for this Kretschmer and i would field the Charged Boltress as i have one and she rocks @ clvl 85 with HoTO, Shako etc but unfortunately the time difference wouldn't work for me :cry: You gonna join us again on KTA when we get it up and running again? Thinking start of August is roughly the restart time...

dk

I'm in, I'll take the charged boltress, or if someone really wants that, I'm fine with the frost/shock zealer too.

My PMs here dont work, so I'll have to get all my info on this via this thread or on D2. My account is *DarkSideOfTMoon if you want to try me there.

-Matt

Hey , I'd be happy to take either the avenger or the sin , I prefer the Sin ( I have a 84 ladder kicker sin at this very moment)
I play daily and am almost always on that time of night as I get outa work at 6pm

Account will be Sara1[eF]

Wingblade - As long as there are folks having fun, we're good to go. Keep your fingers crossed for us. :)

AgentMarth - Sounds like you're just the kind of guy we'd like to have along; hopefully the timing will work out for you.

MrKaxe - Curse your European locale! :p More seriously, I don't think I'll be able to make KTA in August, as it meets in the early afternoon and I hope to be working by then. *crosses fingers*

Matt - Glad to have you aboard; enjoy your tesla blobs of death!

Master Zap - You're going to have a ton of fun, my Phoenix Striker is the most entertaining character I've made.

Diacronic - Welcome aboard.

Code:
Account Name         Forum Name          Character Name          Build Slot
*Kret2               Kretschmer          URideToboggan           Frost Maiden (Ama)
     ???             AgentMarth(?)            ???                BO Barb(?)
*Darksideofthemoon   MrKaxe                   ???                Charged Boltress (Sork)
*Sara1[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (***)
*Diacronic           Diacronic           Doubleyoke              Frenzy (Barb)

Do you still need a BO barb? I'd like to fill this spot!

EDIT:

that or the avenger :D

After thinking about it some more, I say why not, I would actually love to do this, I think it would be a refreshing change of pace to normal play. The time shouldn't be a problem, as I should be able to work around it for the most part.

If its ok, I still would like to do the Singer Barb. But I'm not sure if you would really want 2 Barb's in the group. If that is an issue, I suppose I could do the Venomancer, but I would really like to do the Singer Barb if at all possible. The Warcry, Taunt, Battlecry, and all his other skills are so much fun to use.

As for an account and char name, I'll have to create a USeast account, and think of a name a bit later.

In regards to KTA I thought so, worth a try! Oh well, it was real good to have you onboard and we will be losing a valuable team member...have as much fun with your project as you did with us!

dk

You put MrKaxe name on the chart where mine should be under forum name, I'm *DarkSideOfTMoon as the charged boltress :smiley:

So we're starting hopefully this coming wednesday, correct?

I like the sound of this idea, I'd be willing to play if you still have room. Let me know what's available, after reading the thread I'm not exactly sure where we stand as to who's being what already.

David - *Vesticle

Edit: Ok, so hopefully we'll just replace the 2nd paladin with a 2nd barbarian instead then? I'll take a Poison Nova Necro I'm a little more comfortable and familiar with Necros than Druids. He'll be named Aran_gar.

Last edited:
Code:
*Kret2               Kretschmer          URideToboggan           Frost Maiden (Ama)
     ???             AgentMarth               ???                Singer (B)
*Darksideofthemoon   Matt                     ???                Charged Boltress (S)
*Sara1[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*Diacronic           Diacronic           Doubleyoke              Frenzy (B)     
*Vesticle            Vesticle                 ???                Fire Claws (D)/Not a Fishy (N)
*???                 Rygor                    ???                Avenger
*???                 Yournamehere             ???                Fire Claws (D)/Not a Fishy (N)

If you see anything you like or want to make a correction, feel free to toss yourself in the chart thingy. Two barbs is plenty cool with me. So far we've got conviction, BO, Shout, slow missiles, minions, and a nice spread of damage. I can't wait for next Wednesday! :)

Actually, looking at it now if you can find someone to replace me, feel free. I'll be gone August 15th and 22nd which would be a critical 2 meetings to miss. Sorry the scheduling doesn't work out better, sounded really interesting.

David

Code:
     ???             AgentMarth               ???                Singer (B)
*Darksideofthemoon   Matt                     ???                Charged Boltress (S)
*Sara1[eF]           Master Zap               ???                Phoenix Striker (As)
*Diacronic           Diacronic           Doubleyoke              Frenzy (B)     
*Rygor               Rygor               Pally-vsWild            Avenger (P)
*???                 Yournamehere             ???                Fire Claws (D)/Not a Fishy (N)

I'm sorry to hear that, Vesticle. Enjoy your trip, be it business, pleasure, or international espionage.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High