Trav Whirler - Gear Hierarchy & more

Re: Trav Whirler - Gear Hierarchy & more

The only video of Travincal I have is very old and when I was goldfinding. Only one Grief, Wealth, Chance Guards, etc, so not "good" for rune hunt setup, but here it is anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFkV5u8PIoM

My rune hunter Pat thread is also quite old, before Enigma, so his setup today would look a bit different, but here is his thread anyway.

[OT]: Cool video, that's some crazy gold you get there. I don't think I could live with leaving all of the stuff on the ground that you did however. But I understand the theory of not wanting to have free inventory space to clutter with accidental pickups. I would maybe at least put my cube in the inventory and fill up the rest, just in case something good dropped. I know this is probably not a character you play anymore. I recently respeced my Frenzyer into a WW barb, but it just didn't work well, so I went back. It was nice to see a video of how it should be done. Maybe when I get some better weapons I will try WW again. The best thing I had then was a Bstar and Horizons, I just made an eth Ettin Oath, but got a very low roll, still way better than the Bstar however. Maybe when I get another Oath I will Respec again, but I need a Chaos Runner to get some essences first. [/OT]

I did that when I was doing the Piles of Money tournament, where you were competing to collect as much gold as possible in a 30 minute period. During those attempts, there was no time to pick up other stuff, and you want to max out on GF% on your charms anyway :)

Normally, I'd have the cube and picked up charms and jewels and stuff.

Very nice, I see you absolutely dominated that tournament :thumbup:

Makes sense about the charms now.

It makes me sad every time I see a cool tournament that I didn't participate in because I was playing on Bnet.

There is indeed a lot of good analysis in the Piles of Money tourney, mostly from Fabian! It doesn't all apply of course to the 1.13 world where runes are now the main Trav goal, but much of the speed/safety question is comparable.

I can't comment on the Grief/Fort question much except to ask what gloves you are currently wearing- if those are LoH then I don't think Fortitude will increase damage much at all to the council.

I hadn't really entertained the thought of using enigma on my trav runner. But that's probably because I just ran a map where they all spawn in the room with the orb and I just take the entry into the durance and pop back out and the merc is there. No tele'ing needed and now your merc is right there ready to go. I probably spend way more time looking through the loot than I do killing anything, so my times are probably much lower than optimal.

My gear is the normal griefzerker/oath/fort. Although i do use a 1.07 Mavs belt for the 40% FRW.

I can't comment on the Grief/Fort question much except to ask what gloves you are currently wearing- if those are LoH then I don't think Fortitude will increase damage much at all to the council.

Yes, I'm using Laying of Hands. It's one of the few awesome items I actually have. Another good argument for the pro-Grief side.

As for the Fort vs. Enigma, all I'm going to say about it is that it seems to come down to play style and preference. Rock that Fortitude, bassano!

So while I was writing out a trade thread asking for a base for Oath, I started looking very closely at my runes. As it turns out, I need to break down an Ist in order to have the specific runes for Oath/Grief & to buy the Oath base. Something tells me I can't offer an Ist for a base and get Um+Pul (both are essential) in return. I guess I'm still a few runs away from making both my new weapons.

Perhaps I made this thread prematurely, but at least I now know what I'm shooting for. Knowing I'm only a couple runes shy is making me excited, though! Guess what I'll be doing over my three day weekend? (there needs to be a whirling emoticon...

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Teleport made a big difference for me (although I did not try Paradigm's approach, which may have solved that issue). At first, I used Naj's Puzzler on switch; later, I used a teleport amulet. Now, I would use Enigma (if I were interested in Travincal running at the moment). I like to pop across the wall into the orb room, have a map where the entire council is standing right there in the corner, have them instantly decrepified, and watch them drop like very slow flies. ;)

Very nice, I see you absolutely dominated that tournament :thumbup:

Makes sense about the charms now.

It makes me sad every time I see a cool tournament that I didn't participate in because I was playing on Bnet.

Second this.

[/OT]

Teleport made a big difference for me (although I did not try Paradigm's approach, which may have solved that issue). At first, I used Naj's Puzzler on switch; later, I used a teleport amulet. Now, I would use Enigma (if I were interested in Travincal running at the moment). I like to pop across the wall into the orb room, have a map where the entire council is standing right there in the corner, have them instantly decrepified, and watch them drop like very slow flies. ;)

Someone actually listened to the advice I've been repeating over and over for the last 14 months, I'm so happy :)

Anyway, my opinion about Fortitude vs Enigma.. of course it comes down to "preference", as everything does in Diablo, but if we're talking about optimal choices (to maximize runes found/minute), Fortitude can't compete with Enigma on a well built character, imo, especially if you don't go with another Teleport source. I really don't think it's very close, either. Hopefully I can get started on my WW Barb within a few weeks and record a video or something. Or one of you other Enigma Whirlers can in the meantime :)

Or one of you non-teleporters can record a video and prove me wrong, I'd like that too :)

I'm going from memory here, but I think my now defunct (due to a hard drive crash) Trav Whirler was equipped as follows (I was nowhere near obtaining an Enigma):

- dual eth 1.07 Oath BAs (290 and 312)
- Fort
- Arreat's
- Highlord's
- String of Ears
- LoH
- Raven Frost
- Dwarf Star
- Gore Riders
- resist and +max dmg/+AR charms

The merc was equipped exactly the same as yours. I found it an effective setup, and its not too difficult to obtain (other than the axes). I had a Grief PB, but style points dictated the dual Oaths (what's the point of having dual eth Oath 1.07 BAs if they're not going to be used together?).

I'm going from memory here, but I think my now defunct (due to a hard drive crash) Trav Whirler was equipped as follows (I was nowhere near obtaining an Enigma):

- dual eth 1.07 Oath BAs (290 and 312)
- Fort
- Arreat's
- Highlord's
- String of Ears
- LoH
- Raven Frost
- Dwarf Star
- Gore Riders
- resist and +max dmg/+AR charms

The merc was equipped exactly the same as yours. I found it an effective setup, and its not too difficult to obtain (other than the axes). I had a Grief PB, but style points dictated the dual Oaths (what's the point of having dual eth Oath 1.07 BAs if they're not going to be used together?).

One criticism, I would get rid of the Ravenfrost. Being chilled is great for a whirler because you get much more hits in per WW. I would replace with a mana leech ring.

Hmmm... if you have Enigma (+45%FRW), what is the forum's opinion on increased speed? Does it actually decrease your DPS by speeding up your whirling?

I didn't put a point in there despite having many unused skill points, but I don't think it'd been that big a deal if I had. I just like having better control on my whirling. If I were ever running with the character, I almost definitely would have.

One criticism, I would get rid of the Ravenfrost. Being chilled is great for a whirler because you get much more hits in per WW. I would replace with a mana leech ring.

Hmmm... if you have Enigma (+45%FRW), what is the forum's opinion on increased speed? Does it actually decrease your DPS by speeding up your whirling?

As I said, that was from memory. Now that you mention it, I think I did ditch the Raven Frost for a Manald Heal.

Someone actually listened to the advice I've been repeating over and over for the last 14 months, I'm so happy :)

Anyway, my opinion about Fortitude vs Enigma.. of course it comes down to "preference", as everything does in Diablo, but if we're talking about optimal choices (to maximize runes found/minute), Fortitude can't compete with Enigma on a well built character, imo, especially if you don't go with another Teleport source. I really don't think it's very close, either. Hopefully I can get started on my WW Barb within a few weeks and record a video or something. Or one of you other Enigma Whirlers can in the meantime :)

Or one of you non-teleporters can record a video and prove me wrong, I'd like that too :)

It takes 8 seconds to run from travincal waypoint to council (I did measurement by run counter), if you have tele it is 2-3 so cca 5 seconds difference beacuse you are faster
when you are playing on players 7 setting so with forti you are killing faster so some of seconds you will have better e.g. 2, I do not tihnk it will make bigger difference
so in total, you can not do more then 3 seconds difference whatever you will do and 3 seconds I am not considering as class difference
I am not using ATMA edited weapons so ofc if someone yes, it will be faster beacuse of that but definitelly not beacuse of enigma
ofc, you can consider even 3 seconds as big difference beacuse when you are doing several thousands of runs but I never had intend to do that so I choosed forti for now

bassano, you ignore the time saved from starting in Act IV instead of running through Act III. That is pretty signficant too.

Also, I don't think it takes 3 seconds to tele to Council with 105 FCR either, but I haven't measured that. Should be 32 or 40 frames, which I guess is 1½ second or so. Certainly no more than 2 seconds (50 frames), anyway.

bassano, you ignore the time saved from starting in Act IV instead of running through Act III. That is pretty signficant too.

Also, I don't think it takes 3 seconds to tele to Council with 105 FCR either, but I haven't measured that. Should be 32 or 40 frames, which I guess is 1½ second or so. Certainly no more than 2 seconds (50 frames), anyway.

Ok, if you are going to ACT IV it can not be discuss beacuse you are right that start from pandemonium save a lot :)
and that tele I do not know but yes, in 50 frames you will do e.g. 7 tele and that is enough to go there

You won in time but still I am enjoying even forti slower runs :D

And sorry if I was a little rubbish in discussion but I like forti even if I am using enigma 95% of my playing time

So, I have been doing a few more runs on council lately and was wondering what a decent time would be for players 3 runs. I haven't actually timed them yet, but I was just curious how horrible my times are.

kestegs, I went back to the MFO League Round 3 to take a look at run times. I had 47.6s average run time on p3 over a ~1500 run sample, but that's with some very strong gear (though in my defense, also some computer lag :)). The other really well equipped WW Barbs in that competition seemed to hover around 50s as well.

Fabian has the thread pretty much covered, but I thought I'd chip in:

Enigma > Fortitude (I won't even begin to explain how time effective it is to be able to reproduce the same battle scenario on each run not to mention covering the ground from travincal wp to the temple)
Dual eth 1.07 BA grief > * (but are ATMA cheese). grief/beast in the same base is another neat option
105 fcr on switch saves time (dual wizzies and a 10fcr rare ring will do it, alternatively if you can afford it using dual HotOs, arach and an fcr ring will net you extra life/mana and 2% chance to hork).
I personally carry a tome of tp. After you are done with the council, tp to act3 -> wp to act4 beats everything else. You can replenish the tome from what is dropped by the council. 2x4 free slots in inventory.
I've also respeced to 2K life after BO, enough dexterity for 10K ar and rest to strength.

PS: /nopickup when horking is your friend. Just hold down right click. At 105 fcr you'll be done in 4-5 seconds tops.
PS2: I believe 35 secs/run on /p3 is doable. I do not have a trav runner at the moment (last one got respeced to berzerker), but I believe that's the run time I was getting.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High